Canadianeh!

Montreal embassy EB-2 interview wait time

2,986 posts in this topic

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Stephenc111 said:

that was my worry. Damn.

Your son only needs to satisfy the visa officer that he has no intent of "disappearing" in the USA and that he will leave the USA and return to Toronto for his IV interview. I think he should be fine and get an F-1 without a problem. I'd give it a try anyway, since an attempt at F-1 won't hurt his IV in any way. And if he gets it, he will be able to join his new school on time. There are other considerations though which you should keep in mind. In an F-1 status, he'll likely be paying non-resident/higher tuition and not eligible for some scholarships/financial assistance there etc.

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, Stephenc111 said:

Hi all,

my son has received acceptance letter from a US university. If he still doesn't get the interview by July, I plan to ask him to apply for student visa, at Toronto Consulate.

- school starts early September

do you guy think they would grant him the student visa, while there is an immigration case pending?

Much thanks,

Your son only needs to satisfy the visa officer that he has no intent of "disappearing" in the USA and that he will leave the USA and return to Canada/MTL for his IV interview. I think he should be fine and get an F-1 without a problem. I'd give it a try anyway, since an attempt at F-1 won't hurt his IV in any way. And if he gets it, he will be able to join his new school on time. There are other considerations though which you should keep in mind. In an F-1 status, he'll likely be paying non-resident/higher tuition and not eligible for some scholarships/financial assistance there etc.

Edited by dskar
Correction

42 minutes ago, dskar said:

Your son only needs to satisfy the visa officer that he has no intent of "disappearing" in the USA and that he will leave the USA and return to Toronto for his IV interview. I think he should be fine and get an F-1 without a problem. I'd give it a try anyway, since an attempt at F-1 won't hurt his IV in any way. And if he gets it, he will be able to join his new school on time. There are other considerations though which you should keep in mind. In an F-1 status, he'll likely be paying non-resident/higher tuition and not eligible for some scholarships/financial assistance there etc.

Thanks! what you described about disappearing into US thing is logical concern for this immigration intent. Of course he won't do that. His GC is only months away :)

actually, he will be coming to California. For public university, the residence requiremnt is such that the person needs to be in California physically for the entire 12 months prior. So he is considered an out-of-state student with a GC (equal amount as international student), so no harm done there.

Definitely worth trying if needed, but hopefully he gets it soon enough.

2 hours ago, PKJ2021 said:

Seems like a long wait for EB category interview appointment. 

Does anyone has a  ballpark figure for the appointment wait time??

Thanks

We are hoping forum member can contribute their information, particularly when they get visa interview, so we can come up with the ballpark figure

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

to learn about other cases, here is the file for more info. Please add yours if possible...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14yZKxht6igwJPXPU0EehKmmN2hx1g3EchEuB5G0yNO4/edit?usp=sharing

~~

On 3/28/2021 at 2:13 AM, BH1570 said:

Is there any consulate or US embassy that is stamping EB-2 immigrant visas? Since President Biden rescinded proclamation 10014 in Feb, therefore US embassies should start stamping out employment based immigrant visas, any information plz? 

I read that the US embassy in Singapore has resumed processing of immigrant visas, after the presidential proclamation got revoked:

https://sg.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.