Farrah Lawson

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

40 posts in this topic

Hello, 

We have been advised by numerous VJ users to amend my taxes as I did not filed as married. They say that we need to apply for an ITIN for my spouse in order to amend my U.S. Federal income tax return.

We checked on the IRS official website and it says: 

If you have an application for a SSN pending, do not file Form W-7/W7(SP). Complete Form W-7/W-7(SP) only when the SSA notifies you that a SSN cannot be issued. Proof that the SSA denied your request for a SSN must be included with your submission of Form W-7/ W-7(SP), whether you are attaching your U.S Federal income tax return or requesting an ITIN under one of the “exceptions”. 

When we filed concurrently, we also submitted Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization. We applied for a SSN through that form (on page 1, Item 10. "Do you want the SSA to issue you a Social Security Card?"

How can I amend my taxes if my spouse does not have:

1. a SSN issued;

2. a notification from SSA that a SSN cannot be issued;

3. an ITIN (as we cannot apply for an ITIN since SSA did not notified us that a SSN cannot be issued)?

Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

i do not think the instructions from the IRS need further interpretation.

You wait for the SSN to be issued/denied, and then proceed from there.

AOS, ROC, N-400, & PASSPORT, FOR HUSBAND TO USC

[02/23, 2012]  - DAY 001  (day 0001) (AOS) Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[06/01, 2012]  - 
DAY 099  (day 0099) 2-year Conditional GC in hand
[05/05, 2014]  - DAY 001  (day 0802) (ROC) Mailed package to Vermont Service Center via USPS overnight

[05/14, 2014]  - DAY 009  (day 0811) Received NOA1 (GC Extended for 1 year)

[01/14, 2016]  - DAY 620  (day 1421) 10-year GC in hand

[02/22, 2017]  - DAY 001  (day 1826) (N-400) Mailed package to Lewisville, TX, via USPS overnight

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 323  (day 2149) (N-400) Naturalization Oath Ceremony (5 years, 10 months, 19 days)

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 001  (day 2149) (US Passport) Applied for US Passport, regular processing

01/25, 2018]  - DAY 015  (day 2164) (US Passport) Passport in hand (5 years, 11 months, 3 days from start of Journey.)

AOS, N-400, & PASSPORT FOR DAUGHTER [OF HUSBAND TO USC]

[06/14, 2013] - DAY 001 Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[11/21, 2013] - Day 153 SSN and 10-year GC in hand

09/01, 2021]  - (day 3001) (US Passport) Passport in hand (8 years, 2 months, 18 days from start of Journey.)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. Psalm 127:1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

You can amend the STATUS from "single" to "married filing separately".  You then list your spouse's name and enter "NRA" in the space for his/her SSN.   This method allows you to file under the correct status if you previously filed as "single".

You cannot file "married filing joint" if he does not have a SSN.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

32 minutes ago, missileman said:

You can amend the STATUS from "single" to "married filing separately".  You then list your spouse's name and enter "NRA" in the space for his/her SSN.   This method allows you to file under the correct status if you previously filed as "single".

The IRS processes returns showing SSNs or ITINs in the blanks where tax forms request SSNs. The IRS no longer accepts, and will not process, forms showing “SSA205c”, “applied for”, “NRA”, blanks, etc.   https://www.***removed***/newcomer/itin.html  (link suggested by VJ users)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Farrah Lawson said:

The IRS processes returns showing SSNs or ITINs in the blanks where tax forms request SSNs. The IRS no longer accepts, and will not process, forms showing “SSA205c”, “applied for”, “NRA”, blanks, etc.   https://www.***removed***/newcomer/itin.html  (link suggested by VJ users)

My husband still lives overseas. I filed for an ITIN and had his itin sent to me in the mail within 4 weeks. 

Had nothing showing he didn't qualify for SSN.  Sent a certified copy of his passport, had an accountant fill out a certificate or accuracy (maybe it was certificate of authenticity) with the W7 and had zero problems. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
29 minutes ago, Farrah Lawson said:

This is a direct copy of IRS Publication 501 for tax year 2017.  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf 

Page 7.  Perhaps the reference you quoted referred to electronic returns.

image.png.e2e18b1d94a023e687d1907dc608e0a6.png

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

As stated by a fellow VJ that they got theirs done by applying for an ITIN. This is it you’re in process but you don’t have it as yet (SSN) taxes to be done file and apply for the ITIN you can submit your W7 form along with the passport or if you wanna make an appointment and go to the IRS office with a completed tax return filled out and apply in person for the ITIN that way it eliminates you from mailing your passport to irs and have to wait for them to send it back to you. 

Thats what we did attend the IRS office by appointment and got it done. 

Good luck 

31 minutes ago, JayDGODITRUST said:

As stated by a fellow VJ that they got theirs done by applying for an ITIN. This is it you’re in process but you don’t have it as yet (SSN) taxes to be done file and apply for the ITIN you can submit your W7 form along with the passport or if you wanna make an appointment and go to the IRS office with a completed tax return filled out and apply in person for the ITIN that way it eliminates you from mailing your passport to irs and have to wait for them to send it back to you. 

Good luck 

Thank you for your reply.

So if my non-resident alien spouse goes in person at an IRS local office they will give the passport back same day? 

How long until you got the ITIN?

When can I submit my amended taxes in my capacity as US citizen spouse? Do I need to wait for my non-resident alien spouse's ITIN to arrive in our mail and after that I file my taxes (amended)?

Thank you so much.

Edited by Farrah Lawson

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Farrah Lawson said:

So if my non-resident alien spouse goes in person at an IRS local office they will give the passport back same day? 

When can I submit my amended taxes in my capacity as US citizen spouse? Do I need to wait for my non-resident alien spouse's ITIN to arrive in our mail and after that I file my taxes (amended)?

Thank you so much.

As I wrote above, my ITIN number came in 4 weeks. You can submit your amended return with your ITIN. They will send the return on after they attach the number to it. 

8 minutes ago, EandH0904 said:

As I wrote above, my ITIN number came in 4 weeks. You can submit your amended return with your ITIN. They will send the return on after they attach the number to it. 

I believe we have to go together at the Taxpayer Assitance Center (IRS local office) so my spouse will submit the form W-7 and the passport in original and I will submit my amended taxes together (with my spouse's W-7 application). Can I give my amended taxes paperwork to my spouse to submit them along with the W-7 form? My medical condition makes difficult any movement.

7 hours ago, Farrah Lawson said:

Thank you so much.

You’re most welcome as mentioned my fellow vjs are pointing you in the right directions everything here is valid information I wish you the best of luck in your process

14 hours ago, EandH0904 said:

My husband still lives overseas. I filed for an ITIN and had his itin sent to me in the mail within 4 weeks. 

Had nothing showing he didn't qualify for SSN.  Sent a certified copy of his passport, had an accountant fill out a certificate or accuracy (maybe it was certificate of authenticity) with the W7 and had zero problems. 

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Did your husband file an income tax return as well when you filed for the ITIN?  If he didn't, what documentation did IRS ask from you to prove that he met an exception to the tax return filing?

All ITIN applications (including those submitted by Acceptance Agents) must have an original valid U.S. Federal income tax return attached to Form W-7. ITINs will not be assigned prior to the taxpayer filing a valid U.S. Federal income tax return (Form 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040NR, 1040NR-EZ, 1040X), to pay or claim withheld taxes unless an “exception” to the tax return filing requirement is met (see “Exceptions” later in this publication) or you are renewing your ITIN. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1915.pdf

15 hours ago, missileman said:

We have been told that I can file as "married filing separately" only if both parties itemize. My non-resident alien spouse has nothing to itemize.

14 hours ago, JayDGODITRUST said:

Good luck 

We need to find out what what documentation is needed to prove that my non-resident spouse meets an exception to the tax return filing requirement. We are preparing the form W-7 now but we read that IRS requires an income tax return along with the form W-7 and the passport.

Generally a U.S. Federal income tax return must accompany the ITIN application, unless the individual meets one of the “exceptions” or is renewing an existing ITIN. Caution: Applications for individuals who are applying for a new ITIN as a spouse or a dependent of a primary taxpayer, must attach a valid U.S. Federal income tax return to the Form W-7. 

All ITIN applications (including those submitted by Acceptance Agents) must have an original valid U.S. Federal income tax return attached to Form W-7. ITINs will not be assigned prior to the taxpayer filing a valid U.S. Federal income tax return (Form 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040NR, 1040NR-EZ, 1040X), to pay or claim withheld taxes unless an “exception” to the tax return filing requirement is met or you are renewing your ITIN.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.