sj0509

Reputable Immigration Service for filing I-130 (CR1)

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, and this is my first question here.

I'm a US citizen, recently married. My wife is based in India, and I need to file for her I-130. I'm wondering if there are any reputable Immigration services that I could engage to assist with the filing of the I-130.

I know I could go about it on my own, but I'd rather not take a chance given the long wait times, and the delays that could happen if I were to miss anything. Also, if can be avoided, I'd prefer to use an Immigration service, rather than an Immigration Lawyer, whose charges are quite high.

So some suggestions from the experienced people on this forum would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

• I-130 petition sent: May 5th, 2018
  • I-130 Petition received: May 14, 2018
  • I-130 Petition approved: Nov 27, 2018
  • Case sent to NVC: Dec 21, 2018
  • Case received at NVCJan 2nd, 2019
  • NVC case# Generated: Feb 19th, 2019 
  • AOS and IV Fees paid: Feb 19th, 2019 
  • AOS and IV Forms / Docs submitted: Feb 22nd, 2019 
  • NVC Case Complete : March 8th, 2019
  • InterviewMay 31st, 2019 - Approved

You'd be surprised how many stories here are about how hiring a lawyer / service actually made the process slower for some people. Lawyers and immigration services make mistakes also btw. 

So yeah most of people will recommend you to do your research and file on your own. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

A well informed individual is the best immigration service money can buy, and it's free. Even if you do end up going with a service, you still need to provide all the information, review all materials, read and understand all instructions, etc. Unless there are unusual circumstances, using a service is more likely to delay the process than speed it up (various talks back and forth, miscommunications, playing telephone with the information is just one more spot for it to get entered incorrectly, etc.).

In all honesty, there's no service I can recommend that will handle the case better than your concerned self. These forms may seem overwhelming at first, but they really are intended to be handled by regular individuals. There's nothing in them that you can't handle. The I-130 instructions has a checklist at the bottom, and there's a guide here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Others have used services such as RapidVisa. They usually work out fine. Sometimes not so much.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My now wife and I used Rapidvisa for both the K-1 and AoS.  I have heard both positive and negative about them, but for us, we did not have any problems with them at all.  No issues during the process either time.  All they really do is double check that you packet looks complete, let you know if they think something is missing, or should be changed.  However if you do not include information that USCIS could later find out about you or if you forgot to mention something that could be detrimental to the process, using a service will not be able to ensure a smooth process.  Even if everything is perfect in your packets, there are no guarantees.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

You can use the immigration guides in this website and save yourself a couple hundreds/thousands $$$$. People here will help you. Unless you have issues in your case or red flags or you are super busy that can not do this then hire someone. We all take risks, it does not matter if you do it yourself or if you hire a lawyer. We prefer to make some little "mistakes" than paying somebody else a lot of money and they make the mistakes anyway.

When we started the K1 visa some years ago, a lawyer wanted to charge us between 3000 and 4000 dollars for it. My now husband found this great website and we saved ourselves that cost. That $$ we later used for a "honeymoon" in Disney. :D

I had a lawyer too (before I found this site). Turns out I knew more through this site than that lawyer. The lawyer's office did not sort anything, dumped every document I gave into the package and delayed the mailing more than once. 

Suggest reading the guides and filing on your own. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Thank you all for the helpful replies.

I agree, based on my limited experience with an attorney this week, that their responses are quite slow, and it'll probably just add to the delay. I'll go over the I-130 form in detail this weekend, and come back with questions, if any.

And I do like Sunnyland's idea of saving that money, and using it towards our honeymoon :)

Thanks all.

• I-130 petition sent: May 5th, 2018
  • I-130 Petition received: May 14, 2018
  • I-130 Petition approved: Nov 27, 2018
  • Case sent to NVC: Dec 21, 2018
  • Case received at NVCJan 2nd, 2019
  • NVC case# Generated: Feb 19th, 2019 
  • AOS and IV Fees paid: Feb 19th, 2019 
  • AOS and IV Forms / Docs submitted: Feb 22nd, 2019 
  • NVC Case Complete : March 8th, 2019
  • InterviewMay 31st, 2019 - Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.