hashtagme

Kid over 18 of foreign military spouse -VISA?

91 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline
5 hours ago, hashtagme said:

:( 

what about if we move to the States on Tourist Visa (?) and file for everything over there? Can he stay there til everything is approved?

NEVER EVER do this, it's an immigration fraud that will bite you all VERY hard in the future.

I just wanted to add. If you have no plans on moving to the US until 2019, you should use this time to prepare him to live in your country on his own. Set him up with a job and a place to stay for example. Maybe if you start now he can gradually be self reliant and the shock of him being in his country without his immediate family won't be as bad.

Like someone already mentioned, young adults move away from family every day. It takes time to get used to but if he is strong and has your support he will be fine.

Does being on military orders expedite the process for him at all? 

Unfortunately, no.

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

18 and 7 months

DCF Germany is ultra quick, 4 or 5 months.

So he would be 20

Then file asap after arrival and it would be c;lose very close.

2 issues

Husband has to enter with you or before you.

Husband has to show US Domicile and sponsor you

VWP is all or nothing.

Sponsoring wouldn’t be an issue. 

Just that my husband can’t leave Europe (as far as moving) until his military orders here are fulfilled. With the military retirement he is trying to file for, he could leave the earliest September 2019.

i think time isn’t on our side.

Just now, NuestraUnion said:

I just wanted to add. If you have no plans on moving to the US until 2019, you should use this time to prepare him to live in your country on his own. Set him up with a job and a place to stay for example. Maybe if you start now he can gradually be self reliant and the shock of him being in his country without his immediate family won't be as bad.

Like someone already mentioned, young adults move away from family every day. It takes time to get used to but if he is strong and has your support he will be fine.

I understand what you mean and trust me, at this point I’ve already thought this through too. I just have to decide what to do. He’s still in school. I can’t think straight at this point. Thank you. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
7 minutes ago, hashtagme said:

Ok. At least I can file directly after entering the US for him. Thank you. It’s not the best solution but to be considered at this point.

Does being on military orders expedite the process for him at all? 

Military orders would help but you said your Husband has none, well the opposite.

DCF is very quick anyway.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Well you have plenty of time if you are looking to move in 2019, once you have the visa it is good for 6 months.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
2 hours ago, hashtagme said:

I just dont know what to do at this point. My husband will get orders for the US, and we will be here. This is basically breaking a family apart. My son doesnt really have anyone here that he could rely on, he is a smart boy and capable of living on his own, I think, but theres a difference if mom/family lives around the corner or on a different continent. 

An adult man doesn't need his mom around the corner or in the same country.  He'll be fine.  I know you're stressed about it, but baby birds need to leave the nest and go make their own at some point.  

Edited by N-o-l-a

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

19 minutes ago, hashtagme said:

I understand what you mean and trust me, at this point I’ve already thought this through too. I just have to decide what to do. He’s still in school. I can’t think straight at this point. Thank you. 

I understand. Like I said before, he is still your "baby" in your eyes.

I am the oldest and the first to leave home. It was not to another country but to another state. The most I ever saw my mother cry even though I was 20 years old, had my own apartment, car, and 2 jobs. She swore I was gonna die without her.

It's funny that by the time my youngest sibling was moving out she was so used to it she had already had his bedroom decorated to her relaxing room before he was done packing.

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I have an idea but the forum may need to see if this is of any merit. I went to the States as an 18 year old (actually 19 year old) as an Au-Pair and later became a student in the US.

What keeps you from filing for a student visa? Have him apply for a university in the US. Its not an immigrant visa but perhaps he likes to go back after four years, or you have petitioned him successfully or he may find a work visa on his own?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, R&OC said:

I have an idea but the forum may need to see if this is of any merit. I went to the States as an 18 year old (actually 19 year old) as an Au-Pair and later became a student in the US.

What keeps you from filing for a student visa? Have him apply for a university in the US. Its not an immigrant visa but perhaps he likes to go back after four years, or you have petitioned him successfully or he may find a work visa on his own?

Money?

I thought Uni was free in Germany?

Edited by Boiler

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:

Money?

I thought Uni was free in Germany?

It is but his step Dad is in the military and he could either use any of the Vet options or perhaps even GI bill if his stepdad doesn't want to use it himself. He could also go to a community college for two years and then transfer credits to better one later.

I know it costs money but that's perhaps an option, too?

Timeline

It is

1 hour ago, R&OC said:

It is but his step Dad is in the military and he could either use any of the Vet options or perhaps even GI bill if his stepdad doesn't want to use it himself. He could also go to a community college for two years and then transfer credits to better one later.

I know it costs money but that's perhaps an option, too?

I don’t think GI bill applies since he’s not an immediate relative of him. 

Student visa would be an option maybe.. maybe even Au pair, I will have to talk to my son and husband and then look at our options.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.