13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

On the IRS website, regarding Form W-7, to apply for an ITIN, it states the following:

After your Form W-7 has been processed, the IRS will assign an ITIN to the return and process the return.

Does this mean, I will not need to FILE my taxes, because they will do it for me?

Sorry if I sound crazy, but I'm just confused with this.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 minutes ago, ashcashbananas said:

On the IRS website, regarding Form W-7, to apply for an ITIN, it states the following:

Does this mean, I will not need to FILE my taxes, because they will do it for me?

You submit the return along with and at the same time as the W-7

YMMV

Timeline
Just now, payxibka said:

You submit the return along with and at the same time as the W-7

I submit the return, but I can't file the taxes without the ITIN.
It states that they will process the return after they get the ITIN.

Does this mean they will FILE the taxes?

Timeline
1 minute ago, Dee elle said:

Your action of completing the tax paperwork and submitting it to the correct IRS address is what is considered "fiiling" your tax return.

After you submit (file) your tax return paperwork, the IRS then processes the paperwork, makes their assessment of how much you owe or are owed and notifies you with either a refund check or a tax bill

The instructions indicate that you should submit the tax return and the ITIN request together,..,this results in you 'filing' your return...ie meeting your legal  obligation.... when the department that assigns ITIN has done so, the IRS will add that ITIN number to your paperwork and then the IRS will process your return. 

Thank you very much. 

If I send all of this into the IRS Monday, 03/26, will I need to request an extension?

Or no?

Timeline

Just now, ashcashbananas said:

Thank you very much. 

If I send all of this into the IRS Monday, 03/26, will I need to request an extension?

Or no?

No because the filing deadline is 4/16/18.  Your return will be considered filed on the day you mail it

YMMV

Timeline
2 hours ago, ashcashbananas said:

That's exactly correct. After they do the ITIN they push the rest on to be processed. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
11 hours ago, ashcashbananas said:

I submit the return, but I can't file the taxes without the ITIN.
It states that they will process the return after they get the ITIN.

Does this mean they will FILE the taxes?

no you are filing your taxes and sending the W7 for ITIN with them/ tax time is the only time you can file for the ITIN

do your taxes ,  list spouse as that ,  and enclose the W7 with the proofs of marriage and his birth (or other ID)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

You send in the return and the W-7 together to the Austin office.

AOS:

RD: 6/21/06

Biometrics: 7/25/06

ID: 10/24/06 - Approved

Conditional GC Received: 11/3/06

I-751

RD: 7/31/08

NOA 1: 8/6/08

Biometrics: 8/26/08

Transferred to CSC: 2/25/09

Approved: 4/23/09 (email received)

Card mailed: 4/28/09 (email received)

Card Received: 5/1/09

N-400

RD & PD: 7/28/09

NOA 1: 8/1/09

Biometric appt: 8/12/09

Interview Letter received: 10/02/09 (notice dated 09/29)

Interview Date: 11/10/09 at Federal Plaza in Manhattan

Oath Letter: 11/10/09

Oath Date: 11/13/09 - Special ceremony at USS Intrepid - Done - USC

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
16 hours ago, ashcashbananas said:

means they will process your return after you send it in with  the W7 and supporting documents 

BTW the W 7 is suppose to be filled out (wet signature) by the foreign spouse so you do not have much time for him to mail it to you / he can download it from IRS site

Timeline
9 hours ago, adil-rafa said:

means they will process your return after you send it in with  the W7 and supporting documents 

BTW the W 7 is suppose to be filled out (wet signature) by the foreign spouse so you do not have much time for him to mail it to you / he can download it from IRS site

His birth certificate is in Arabic, we do plan to get it translated of course but is this what I need to do now? For the ITIN? Get his birth certificate translated?

What else?

I will send a certified copy of our marriage certificate translated. & a certified copy of his translated birth certificate. Anything else?

Will they return these documents to me?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, ashcashbananas said:

His birth certificate is in Arabic, we do plan to get it translated of course but is this what I need to do now? For the ITIN? Get his birth certificate translated?

What else?

I will send a certified copy of our marriage certificate translated. & a certified copy of his translated birth certificate. Anything else?

Will they return these documents to me?

A read of the instructions would tell you that all original documents are returned

YMMV

Timeline
1 minute ago, payxibka said:

A read of the instructions would tell you that all original documents are returned

Yes I did read that, I'm talking about certified copies, not originals. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.