Jump to content

49 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Faroe Islands
Timeline

A lot of us are AOS- ing from different visas and personally I can not judge anyone because I am the one also. 

Reading different topics here the word " intent " has caught my eye. Yes I know very good the golden rule but my simple question is - why  ( as far as I know) in many cases people aren't even asked about that at their interviews? Seems very strange to me.

What do you think, dear members? 

Thank you for your answers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Nemeseax said:

Reading different topics here the word " intent " has caught my eye. Yes I know very good the golden rule but my simple question is - why  ( as far as I know) in many cases people aren't even asked about that at their interviews? Seems very strange to me.

What do you think, dear members? 

Because intent is determined by the officers at port of entry when the person crosses the border....not at the AOS interview.  This is why it's mostly not brought up during the interview.


Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Going through said:

Because intent is determined by the officers at port of entry when the person crosses the border....not at the AOS interview.  This is why it's mostly not brought up during the interview.

This is only true when the sponsor is a us citizen. For instance if the spouse of a permanent resident entered the US on a B1/B2 visa while his/hers priority date is current and tries to AOS during that visit they can be denied AOS if the USCIS believes they entered with in the intent to AOS. On th other hand the spouse of a USC can not be denied regardless of their intent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As mentioned, intent is determined at port of entry by an inspecting officer.

 

People can have sudden change of hearts, change of plans, meet someone suddenly, a spontaneous proposal, etc, so trying to determine intent much later becomes very difficult and hard to judge.


02/14/18 - Married :wub: 

03/02/18 - AOS Sent 

04/02/18 - Biometrics appointment @ Field Office

04/16/18 - Courtesy letter received re: Medical

07/17/18 - EAD card in production, AP approved

07/21/18  - Combo card in hand

10/18/18 - GC Interview  (Approved on the spot)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline
1 hour ago, Britinstl said:

As mentioned, intent is determined at port of entry by an inspecting officer.

 

People can have sudden change of hearts, change of plans, meet someone suddenly, a spontaneous proposal, etc, so trying to determine intent much later becomes very difficult and hard to judge.

I AGREE WITH THIS. ITS VERY TRUE.


AOS from B2

12/22/17 . documents sent by lawyer 
12/27/17 . documents delivered to chicago lock box (delay cos of the holiday)  Still waiting on the receipT 
01/12/18. Got all receipts. 
01/20/18. Got biometrics appointment letter 
01/31/18. Date for appointment Will try and do a walk in on 01/23/18 
01/23/18. Walked in today and did biometrics.

02/05/18. I-485 changed to you are being scheduled for interview

03/06/18. lawyer expedites EAD

03/09/18. I-765 changed to document was mailed to you.

03/15/18. Congressman expedites EAD

LAWYER SENT ANOTHER EXPEDITE PACKAGE TO USCIS

CONGRESS MAN GOT INVOLVED AGAIN ON APRIL 20

APPROVED, CARD PRODUCED AND MAILED BY APRIL 25

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What visa did you come on? Your original "intent" matters less the longer you are in the country. If you come on a tourist visa/VWP for a week's vacation and then, miraculously, end up marrying somebody, you should be prepared to have a very compelling explanation.

 

IIRC, the sweet-spot is 60 days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Bm1789 said:

What visa did you come on? Your original "intent" matters less the longer you are in the country. If you come on a tourist visa/VWP for a week's vacation and then, miraculously, end up marrying somebody, you should be prepared to have a very compelling explanation.

 

IIRC, the sweet-spot is 60 days. 

its been extended to 90


AOS from B2

12/22/17 . documents sent by lawyer 
12/27/17 . documents delivered to chicago lock box (delay cos of the holiday)  Still waiting on the receipT 
01/12/18. Got all receipts. 
01/20/18. Got biometrics appointment letter 
01/31/18. Date for appointment Will try and do a walk in on 01/23/18 
01/23/18. Walked in today and did biometrics.

02/05/18. I-485 changed to you are being scheduled for interview

03/06/18. lawyer expedites EAD

03/09/18. I-765 changed to document was mailed to you.

03/15/18. Congressman expedites EAD

LAWYER SENT ANOTHER EXPEDITE PACKAGE TO USCIS

CONGRESS MAN GOT INVOLVED AGAIN ON APRIL 20

APPROVED, CARD PRODUCED AND MAILED BY APRIL 25

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Faroe Islands
Timeline

Yes I have come on B2 .So now that is kind of confusion. You ' ve said " be very prepared " , the other have said " intent is determined at POE" , the 3rd part have said " intent is not even mentioned at interview ".

And no, I have not miraculously met someone at my vacaton and ended up marrying him in order to " finally realize my american dream " by fradulent marriage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline
Just now, Bm1789 said:

Is that a new Trump-era change?

i believe so. the 90 day rule


AOS from B2

12/22/17 . documents sent by lawyer 
12/27/17 . documents delivered to chicago lock box (delay cos of the holiday)  Still waiting on the receipT 
01/12/18. Got all receipts. 
01/20/18. Got biometrics appointment letter 
01/31/18. Date for appointment Will try and do a walk in on 01/23/18 
01/23/18. Walked in today and did biometrics.

02/05/18. I-485 changed to you are being scheduled for interview

03/06/18. lawyer expedites EAD

03/09/18. I-765 changed to document was mailed to you.

03/15/18. Congressman expedites EAD

LAWYER SENT ANOTHER EXPEDITE PACKAGE TO USCIS

CONGRESS MAN GOT INVOLVED AGAIN ON APRIL 20

APPROVED, CARD PRODUCED AND MAILED BY APRIL 25

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Nemeseax said:

Yes I have come on B2 .So now that is kind of confusion. You ' ve said " be very prepared " , the other have said " intent is determined at POE" , the 3rd part have said " intent is not even mentioned at interview ".

And no, I have not miraculously met someone at my vacaton and ended up marrying him in order to " finally realize my american dream " by fradulent marriage. 

how long were u in the country before you got married?


AOS from B2

12/22/17 . documents sent by lawyer 
12/27/17 . documents delivered to chicago lock box (delay cos of the holiday)  Still waiting on the receipT 
01/12/18. Got all receipts. 
01/20/18. Got biometrics appointment letter 
01/31/18. Date for appointment Will try and do a walk in on 01/23/18 
01/23/18. Walked in today and did biometrics.

02/05/18. I-485 changed to you are being scheduled for interview

03/06/18. lawyer expedites EAD

03/09/18. I-765 changed to document was mailed to you.

03/15/18. Congressman expedites EAD

LAWYER SENT ANOTHER EXPEDITE PACKAGE TO USCIS

CONGRESS MAN GOT INVOLVED AGAIN ON APRIL 20

APPROVED, CARD PRODUCED AND MAILED BY APRIL 25

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline
Just now, Nemeseax said:

3 and 1/2 months 

you're fine. thats over a 100 days. they shouldn't ask anything. wait, did you know the person you married before you got here?


AOS from B2

12/22/17 . documents sent by lawyer 
12/27/17 . documents delivered to chicago lock box (delay cos of the holiday)  Still waiting on the receipT 
01/12/18. Got all receipts. 
01/20/18. Got biometrics appointment letter 
01/31/18. Date for appointment Will try and do a walk in on 01/23/18 
01/23/18. Walked in today and did biometrics.

02/05/18. I-485 changed to you are being scheduled for interview

03/06/18. lawyer expedites EAD

03/09/18. I-765 changed to document was mailed to you.

03/15/18. Congressman expedites EAD

LAWYER SENT ANOTHER EXPEDITE PACKAGE TO USCIS

CONGRESS MAN GOT INVOLVED AGAIN ON APRIL 20

APPROVED, CARD PRODUCED AND MAILED BY APRIL 25

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Faroe Islands
Timeline
1 minute ago, Rmsean said:

you're fine. thats over a 100 days. they shouldn't ask anything. wait, did you know the person you married before you got here?

Yes- We were friends, very very good ones. Have visited twice but haven' t stayed at his house, but at other friends  ( an older couple).My last visit I have come as usuall , but we realize that simply there is much more then frienship between us, so I ve prolongued my vacation  ( unpayed) .He has finally proposed me and I have shocked all arround( including myself lol)by my agreement. 

I must add that I have had 2 jobs, a lot of saved money in retirement funds, not to mention appartement pets etc. ( Thanks to my swedish friends who are helping me ans have sent my documents).

At my last trip here, my suitcase has included just a little clothes and necessary things ( no wedding dress lol).So ...is there any intent here? Btw I am older person, kinda tio late to make a lot of plans, right? But life surpreses us always. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Nemeseax said:

Yes- We were friends, very very good ones. Have visited twice but haven' t stayed at his house, but at other friends  ( an older couple).My last visit I have come as usuall , but we realize that simply there is much more then frienship between us, so I ve prolongued my vacation  ( unpayed) .He has finally proposed me and I have shocked all arround( including myself lol)by my agreement. 

I must add that I have had 2 jobs, a lot of saved money in retirement funds, not to mention appartement pets etc. ( Thanks to my swedish friends who are helping me ans have sent my documents).

At my last trip here, my suitcase has included just a little clothes and necessary things ( no wedding dress lol).So ...is there any intent here? Btw I am older person, kinda tio late to make a lot of plans, right? But life surpreses us always. 

ok. you should be fine. 


AOS from B2

12/22/17 . documents sent by lawyer 
12/27/17 . documents delivered to chicago lock box (delay cos of the holiday)  Still waiting on the receipT 
01/12/18. Got all receipts. 
01/20/18. Got biometrics appointment letter 
01/31/18. Date for appointment Will try and do a walk in on 01/23/18 
01/23/18. Walked in today and did biometrics.

02/05/18. I-485 changed to you are being scheduled for interview

03/06/18. lawyer expedites EAD

03/09/18. I-765 changed to document was mailed to you.

03/15/18. Congressman expedites EAD

LAWYER SENT ANOTHER EXPEDITE PACKAGE TO USCIS

CONGRESS MAN GOT INVOLVED AGAIN ON APRIL 20

APPROVED, CARD PRODUCED AND MAILED BY APRIL 25

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
“;}
×
×
  • Create New...