dcpa55

Immigrant Pinay feeling homesick and lonely [split topic]

62 posts in this topic

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:37 PM, Hank_ said:

I don't care for sisig, most has too much fat in it .. I will take the egg.  

Davao City has the best pork sisig in Philippines, I have tasted in other major cities and like Manila and Cebu and it just don't taste the same.

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:56 PM, cyberfx1024 said:

I love both kinds actually but I do like the flavor of Filipino menudo better in all honesty. The place where we used to get it from is a Filipino grocery that sells AWESOME hot togo food. http://www.arkofoodsmarket.com/

My wife did taste some of my neighbors Mexican dishes while in CA and really was not to impressed with them at all. She considered the quality and the taste to be inferior to hers and other Filipinos. One time she made Kinilaw(Ceviche) with actual fresh tuna and I took it over there for my neighbors to have for a party they were having at that time, man let me tell you that dish was gone in NO TIME AT ALL. They were surprised that she actually used tuna because they usually use Tilapia(no wonder it's inferior) and that she had added mangoes to it for a added taste. They also kept saying "We don't really like it, but can you tell your wife to make some more please", lol.

That is what gets me is I LOVE SISIG but I hate eggs. So I have to tell them to make it and don't add the egg on top.

Davao Kinilaw with tuna is an outstanding dish, it may be my favorite food there. Followed by pork sisig and then if I am drinking at a club I tear up the Chicharon bulaklak with extra vinegar.  Food of the Gods.........

• 5 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 05/03/2018 at 7:42 AM, nelmagriffin said:

Greetings!

Keep on reviewing and take the NCLEX as soon as you can. Nurses are way in demand and It pays well. This is the time wherein you explore places because as soon as you start working it is hard to have a mini break when work rolls in. Do not worry about the review if it is difficult as it will be easy during the test. As long as you know the basics, prioritization, and safety of any situations it will be okay. I know how hard working a Filipino nurse is especially when it comes to "nursing school days" it is intense. Relax, do a little review and also know the strategy in taking the test especially the process of elimination technique. Did you have your credentials evaluated and that you are just waiting for the authorization to take the test?

Goodluck,

Nelma

I just have my ATT! Thank you! I will be taking the exam in 3 months. SLR.

Timeline
On 15/03/2018 at 12:15 PM, Balamban said:

A suggestion to help you in multiple ways:

Check with your local hospital and offer to be an unpaid volunteer perhaps a few afternoons or mornings each week.

It would serve you in a few ways: It'll reduce boredom.  In a short time they will find that you are an unlicensed in America, licensed in the Phils RN, and a ED/ER nurse, so I'll bet that you'll gravitate as a volunteer towards the ED.  Once there you'll start to absorb + energy and support from the environment and that will entice you to do review for the NCLEX.  It will also serve to make you feel significant, which is how you felt as a nurse in the Phils.

A warning for any Filipino about the NCLEX:  Beware of "reverse" questions.  

Here's an example: Patient has symptom x, what would be the last thing that you would take care of: 1) pain relief 2) Assure clear airway 3)Check pulse

The answer in this made up question is 1)pain relief but Filipino nurses often choose 2) airway because we consider ABC (Airway, breathing, circulation) as MOST important and so instinctively answer what is the most important and choose 2.  But that is wrong because the question is "reverse."  It asks for the last thing you check for not the first, so the answer is 1) pain control.  The difficulty has to do with the structure of Bisayan/Tagalog versus English and your brain will trick you and use your native language rules, though in this case your brain will mislead you.

I suggest visting allnurses.com it's fun, free and educational.  I have noticed over the years. again and again, Filipino nurses say: "I failed NCLEX and don't know why, I had high grades and know what I should know."  Over and over, it is the "reverse" questions that throw anyone where English is not their native language. 

Also I suggest that two weeks before the NCLEX you avoid talking in your native language to anyone at all.  There are fundamental differences in Bisayan and Tagalog which tell your brain: "the question is this way," when in English the meaning is different.

That is a nice idea. I would live to do that. My husband thinks i should volunteer after the exam and while waiting to get a job. Ill try to search here in Ohio if they have that, it will help me get friends and learn how things work here.

Thank you for that advice! NCLEX gives tricky questions i bet. Are you a nurse too here in the US?

Timeline

Thank you all for the support. It means a lot. As of now, I still dont have luck in having a filipino friend. My husband and I tried the zumba dance  in ohio (only did it twice) in a filipino community but I never had a chance to make some friends. Im just shy i guess. Maybe if we will do it again i might talk to one of them. Right now, im focusing on studying for NCLEX and processing my application for permanent residency. 

I introduced my husband to eating sinigang and he loved it! Every week he wants to eat.

Thank you guys! Im still homesick but im sure ill get over it. 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Greetings!

Know the basics, prioritization, lab values ( as there are questions that will ask you as to which patient to be monitored and they will just put the situation with the lab values. SAFETY SAFETY IS A BIG THING AS WELL! Please, do not forget to review the strategy in taking the test. (ex. the process of elimination etc.) as this will help you 100%.

And the most important advice that I can give you is to RELAX a few days before the test, Think POSITVE! , Pray and everything will be alright.

When you read this, I want you to write the following in big letters, the date of your test and the words like the following ex. " August 15, 2018, YES I CAN DO IT! Your name then RN"

EX. AUGUST 15, 2018, YES, I CAN DO IT! DCPA55, RN.

Edited by nelmagriffin

Timeline
1 hour ago, nelmagriffin said:

Greetings!

Know the basics, prioritization, lab values ( as there are questions that will ask you as to which patient to be monitored and they will just put the situation with the lab values. SAFETY SAFETY IS A BIG THING AS WELL! Please, do not forget to review the strategy in taking the test. (ex. the process of elimination etc.) as this will help you 100%.

And the most important advice that I can give you is to RELAX a few days before the test, Think POSITVE! , Pray and everything will be alright.

When you read this, I want you to write the following in big letters, the date of your test and the words like the following ex. " August 15, 2018, YES I CAN DO IT! Your name then RN"

EX. AUGUST 15, 2018, YES, I CAN DO IT! DCPA55, RN.

Thank you! I still do not know when I will take the exam because my husband will be assigned somewhere in asiafor work. And we are still waiting as to when it will be. Im still not ready to take the exam though because i feel like it has been many yrs since i read a medical book, and that was way back in college days. Thank you for the advice!

19 hours ago, dcpa55 said:

Thank you all for the support. It means a lot. As of now, I still dont have luck in having a filipino friend. My husband and I tried the zumba dance  in ohio (only did it twice) in a filipino community but I never had a chance to make some friends. Im just shy i guess. Maybe if we will do it again i might talk to one of them. Right now, im focusing on studying for NCLEX and processing my application for permanent residency. 

I introduced my husband to eating sinigang and he loved it! Every week he wants to eat.

Why haven't you taken the NCLEX?   

2 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

Why haven't you taken the NCLEX?   

Read her last post.

14 hours ago, dcpa55 said:

Thank you! I still do not know when I will take the exam because my husband will be assigned somewhere in asiafor work. And we are still waiting as to when it will be. Im still not ready to take the exam though because i feel like it has been many yrs since i read a medical book, and that was way back in college days. Thank you for the advice!

What does your husband do for work if you don't mind me asking, and are you going to join him if he goes?

On 3/5/2018 at 6:31 AM, dcpa55 said:

Thank you. Therr is no choice herr but to be strong.I live in Strongsville, Ohio. 

Living in New York, you will be fine :) 

On 5/1/2018 at 6:43 AM, dcpa55 said:

Don't limit your friends to only filipinas.  Your husband's family, neighbors, church members, etc.  

Edited by Kevo

Timeline

awwww i totally relate. The good thing is that I already know how to drive before coming here (more than 5 years) It actually helped a little bit on my husband insurance since I am an experienced driver. They said when you know how to drive in Manila, you can drive in NY City, fortunately, I don't live in the city so it is way to easy in the north. The first time I drove in a highway (I-84) going to local USCIS office for biometrics, I was kinda scared but more of because I only carry my Philippine Driver's license, I don't even have a learners permit yet that time.

Waiting sucks.... as in.... I'm always mad at my husband and blame him for me being so bored at home:D then he'll send me to the shopping mall the next day.   Three freaking months of just staying home, prepare food for the husband, binged watching all kinds of US tv series and everyday video call with family & friends. They said, savor the moment of not working coz when you start working here, you will wish to have a vacation more often. But those three months, of not doing anything after more than a decade of non-stop working was so HARD.

Anyway, try to get in touch with the Filipino community in your area, join their activity. I always go to the nearest Filipino store to make chicka and tsismis with the owner :)

I now have a job (office work but way too easy as compared to my job back in the PH which i deeply missed) and I have a 2nd job every Saturday so it all worked out.

oh last thing... if you don't have a pet yet, go get one. A dog or a cat or both ( i wish), it'll definitely make you a little bit occupied.

Good luck!

Edited by Christina Pizzuti

ROC JOURNEY

02/13/20  --- ROC packet sent  

02/18/20  --- ROC packet received Texas Day 0

02/21/20  --- SMS notice received EAC (Vermont)  Day 3

02/26/20  --- NOA 1 received - Extension Letter  Day 8

03/16/20  --- NOA 2 received dated 03/06/20- Biometrics schedule  Day 27

11/05/20  --- Notice of transfer of case to NBC  Day 261

02/26/21  --- Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview  Day 374

5 hours ago, Christina Pizzuti said:

awwww i totally relate. The good thing is that I already know how to drive before coming here (more than 5 years) It actually helped a little bit on my husband insurance since I am an experienced driver. 

Helped on the insurance since you are an experienced driver?

Explain that one to me.  I have never heard or seen an insurance company ask about experience for auto insurance.

1 hour ago, Chris Duffy said:

Helped on the insurance since you are an experienced driver?

Explain that one to me.  I have never heard or seen an insurance company ask about experience for auto insurance.

Might be a regional thing - both in Canada, Europe and Massachusetts, I've been asked about it. 

Timeline
On 5/1/2018 at 5:27 AM, dcpa55 said:

I just have my ATT! Thank you! I will be taking the exam in 3 months. SLR.

I would recommend the Hurst review, it was awesome and I passed the NCLEX with only 75 questions! Honestly I'm sure you will do just fine though. The other advice is right though, there is a huge demand for nursing and easy to find a job (unless your in a very small community with not many jobs nearby). I'm guessing your husband is in the military?

Edited by javadown2

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.