GoodbyeGirl

Stamp in passport if biometrics hasn't happened?

11 posts in this topic

Hello! Oct-17 filer, NOA received, cheque cashed, case moved to local office on 26 Feb (monitoring that, no idea if it's legit or even a good thing ;)) but 4 months down the road and no biometrics appointment. 

I've been told by USCIS to wait. But, I'm probably going down the infopass route if another month goes by to see if I can get the biometrics done. I know I could well be sent away and told to wait for the system generated appointment. 

So my question is, if I get close to my 1-year extension (Jan-19) and I still haven't had the fingerprints appointment, will I be able to get my passport stamped? Wasn't sure if having current prints on file is a prerequisite for the I-551 stamp. My last set were taken for my 2-year green card in Oct-15 so more than two years old now and I believe they're only valid for two years.

I know I'm looking way ahead, but it's on my mind. Appreciate any thoughts or advice. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current status: UK and USA citizen

12-Mar-19: I-751 (WAC18026) + N400 combi interview

Outcome

16 Mar-19: I-751 ~ Green Card in Hand (from submission to card delivery, 17 months)

19 Apr-19:  N400 ~ Naturalization Oath Ceremony, certificate in-hand! (from submission to oath, 6 months)

1 May 19: Voter registration card in-hand

3 May 19: USA passport in-hand

11 May 19: New SSN card in-hand

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I was able to get a stamp without having my biometrics completed.  I only needed my Notice of Action and an explanation of why I needed the stamp.  I needed the stamp, because there were errors on my card, so the expiration date didn't match what was on the letter. 

It may depend on your local office as I think they often have different rules.  

Thank you @CanadaToCT, good to know you were able to get it done. I can see myself going to my local office to attempt a biometrics screening, so I will ask while I'm there as well. And I'm hoping they'll be able to let me know if my case really is being processed there too!

Best of luck with your case. :) 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Outcome

16 Mar-19: I-751 ~ Green Card in Hand (from submission to card delivery, 17 months)

19 Apr-19:  N400 ~ Naturalization Oath Ceremony, certificate in-hand! (from submission to oath, 6 months)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
24 minutes ago, GoodbyeGirl said:

I can see myself going to my local office to attempt a biometrics screening, so I will ask while I'm there as well.

You may want to check that the USCIS office where you would make an infopass is the same place you go for fingerprints.  For my area, they are different buildings.  The fingerprints are at an Application Support Center, which is separate from the actual USCIS office.  

The Infopass appointment notice would have the USCIS field office address. 

The biometrics, on the other hand, would be done at an ASC center where they will have zero information about a case status. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

1 hour ago, CanadaToCT said:

You may want to check that the USCIS office where you would make an infopass is the same place you go for fingerprints.  For my area, they are different buildings.  The fingerprints are at an Application Support Center, which is separate from the actual USCIS office.  

57 minutes ago, WeGuyGal said:

The Infopass appointment notice would have the USCIS field office address. 

The biometrics, on the other hand, would be done at an ASC center where they will have zero information about a case status. 

Thank you! Did a quick sanity check and the ACS center and the local office are one and the same place for me. :) 

Outcome

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, GoodbyeGirl said:

Thank you! Did a quick sanity check and the ACS center and the local office are one and the same place for me. :) 

I've known people to walk in at the ACS and tell them they haven't received their notice. The ACS generates the notice and takes care of you then and there. That would depend on how nice the people are at your ACS. Biometrics normally comes within weeks. So tell a sad story about how it's been so many months and the one USCIS phone number for all problems just keep telling you to wait. Maybe you will get some sympathy. It probably works better at those strip shopping center ASC places where it's easy to talk them into taking you weeks before your letter says, taking you after you missed an appointment, etc. 

Worth a try maybe.

4 hours ago, GoodbyeGirl said:

Check the room numbers too. My ACS and field office are in the same place but 7 floors apart :P

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Thanks for all the great advice, really pleased I posted now. :) Got my infopass appointment on 13 March. This will be an attempt to get my biometrics done and to see if they can shed any light on my case being 'received' at my 'local office'.

I'll post an update. Wish me luck!

Outcome

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

I’m August 17 filer and same issue here. I have not received biometric appointment. I have called and filed 2 inquiries and both say wait for one to be generated. I went to my local office once and the ASC department saw my notice but wasn’t able to generate an appointment for me since she didn’t know how. My Case status show it was delivered to local office on Feb26th as well. 

So idk please let us know if the infopass worked for you and how you did it.

Hey @snnan, sorry to hear you've been waiting so long. Are you going to try again with your local office (for a biometrics apt)? @Vincent Chu managed to get his done so that's one positive story, sucks that yours didn't go the same way.  I will be updating how I get on, you can be sure!

Outcome

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.