Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'i-551'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Family & Marriage Based US Visa Immigration Discussion
    • K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Process & Procedures
    • IR-1 / CR-1 Spouse Visa Process & Procedures
    • Direct Consular Filing (DCF) General Discussion
    • Bringing Family Members of US Citizens to America
    • Bringing Family Members of Permanent Residents to America
    • What Visa Do I Need - Family Based Immigration
  • Non-Family Based US Visa Discussion
    • Tourist Visas
    • Work Visas
    • Student & Exchange Visitor Visas
    • Diversity Lottery Visas
    • Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)
  • Consulate & USCIS Service Center Discussion
    • National Visa Center (Dept of State)
    • US Embassy and Consulate Discussion
    • Waivers (I-601 and I-212) and Administrative Processes (221g)
    • USCIS Service Centers
  • US Visa Holder and Permanent Resident Immigration Discussion
    • Adjustment of Status (Green Card) from K1 and K3 Family Based Visas
    • Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas
    • Working & Traveling During US Immigration
    • Tax & Finances During US Immigration
    • Removing Conditions on Residency General Discussion
    • US Citizenship General Discussion
    • Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits
    • Military Immigration-Related Discussion
    • General Immigration-Related Discussion
  • General Discussion Area
    • Off Topic
    • Games While You Wait
    • Regional Discussion
    • Moving to the US and Your New Life In America
    • Finding Work in America
    • Emigrating Outside the US
    • Current Events and Hot Social Topics
    • Introducing our Members
    • General Polls
    • US Immigration News and Discussion
    • Site-Related Discussion - Updates, Ideas, etc.
  • Moderator and Organizer Forums (Hidden)


  • USCIS Immigration Processing Times

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



miles from

Is online?

Has photo?

Content Count

Between and

Last Visit

Between and



Immigration Status

Place benefits filed at

Local Office


Our Story

Found 7 results

  1. I just went to the California DMV with my husband to get his driver's license, we had all the necessary documents, or so we thought. The person helping us looked at his Brazilian passport, and said that the stamp endorsing the CR-1 visa was "not an I-551 stamp" according to the very old policy manuals. For a number of years now the visa itself has a statement near the bottom that reads "Upon Endorsement Serves as Temporary I-551 Evidencing Permanent Residency for 1 Year." Meaning that a simple entry stamp at POE with the date and status (CR-1) and Alien number is the endorsement referred to on the visa. I asked for a supervisor, so she went and spoke with her boss. Then came back and looked on her computer some more. In the end she said, "sorry, this stamp in the passport has to specifically say "processed for I-551. I cannot give you a driver's license until you have this or a green card." We drove to the Sacramento Airport to try and get a stamp that would satisfy this but could not speak with a CBP officer. Our only option now is to try for an appointment at an USCIS office and get something that a California DMV might accept. Or return to the same or different DMV and try to explain to them that the entry stamp is all that is needed to endorse the I-551 already stated on the visa. Any suggestions anyone?? This is very frustrating to say the least....
  2. Hello. I recently lost my vital documents. I have been a permanent resident since 2005 and my GC is not supposed to expire till 2025. I filed for a GC replacement this week but received a job offer and need to work. I know that USCIS issues I-551 stamps on unexpired passports but what can i use to show legal status if i do not have a passport right now. Am i able to show my Notice of Action to my employer? Please help! Thank you.
  3. Hi all, I have been struggling to find the answer to my question and was hoping someone may know the answer. I understand that a (valid) I-551 stamp in an expired passport, when presented along with a valid passport, is deemed acceptable for entry back into the US. However, my passport has been declared damaged (however, the page with the I-551 stamp, as well as the page with my information, are both completely intact). I am currently outwith the US so getting another stamp is not a possibility. Will I be ok to present my damaged passport (with the intact stamp) as proof of residency (I would really like to avoid the hassle of filing for a form I-131A) when I return to the US? I know you are definitely supposed to file form I-131A if the greencard/I-551 is damaged, but technically my I-551 itself is intact, it is just the document to which it is affixed that is damaged. Thank you very much in advance for all help!
  4. Hello Visa Journey members. This thread is for anyone that has a Priority Date/Receipt Date from the second half of 2017 (July - December 2017) waiting to get their interview scheduled at the Houston Field Office. Please post your PD/RD and your current USCIS online account (both sites and App) status’. Have you received an interview letter and if so, when is your interview date? Please share your interview experience for those that already had their interview, thanks.
  5. Hello again forum! We are leaving the country for the holidays and are returning to the US in January, arriving home about 10 days before my husband's conditional greencard expires. We just filed our I-751 application to remove conditions and we were hoping to have the receipt with us when we return as proof that we have begun the renewal process. However, if we do not have this receipt in hand before we leave, we are concerned that the immigration officer would have discretion to deny entry or detain my husband. I spoke with the National Customer Service Center and they reassured me that as long as we enter the US before the greencard expires, we will not have any issues coming back into the country and that the immigration officer at the airport only goes by the date on the greencard. We both know people who have been turned away at immigration because they were returning just before their visa expired with no evidence that they were planning to leave before it expired or with evidence that they were renewing their visa. Granted, they were on a student visa, which is inherently temporary, but we are concerned nonetheless. Has anyone traveled under similar conditions and had issues? Or no issues? Thank you.
  6. Hello forum. We just submitted form I-751 to remove conditions on my husband's greencard and forgot to include a copy of his current greencard, which is required with the application. I called the National Customer Service Center and they weren't able to tell me definitively what will happen, but in theory there is a chance our application will be denied. For anyone else who has ever forgotten this item or anything else with their I-751, what was your experience? Did they return your entire application or just send you a request for more info? Did you have to pay your $680 fee twice? Did it jeopardize your entire ability to remove conditions? How much of a delay did this cause? Our application went through the Vermont service center. Any info is helpful.
  7. Hello Everyone, I filed jointly back on October 2016 at CSC and after 5 months from filing we got a divorce and it was finalized on Mars 2017. I hired a lawyer on June 2017 and my lawyer sent a letter to USCIS along with other evidences explaining to them what happened and asking them to amend my case to a divorce waiver. I have never heard from Immigration ever since. Is this normal?
  • Create New...