SAlove18

South African K1 Visa applicants

1,801 posts in this topic

Im so excited to share that my husband received his EAD card in the mail today we are so excited that he can finally work...We are now just waiting on the letter to inform us if his interview date.....  For AOS

Luflolady

Jan 26th: Mailed I-129F

Jan 29th NOA1

Feb 2nd: Check Cashed

Feb 9th: rcvd hard copy of NOA1

Aug. 28th Notified of RFE being mailed

Sept. 1st received hard copy of RFE in the mail

Sept. 4th mailed response to RFE

Sept. 10th received txt that my response to RFE was received

Oct. 10th Received txt that we were approved (NOA2) 30days after RFE response

Oct. 13th received hard copy of NOA2

Oct. 31st case arrived at NVC

Nov 2nd received case number

Nov. 19th Case is "ready" to schedule an interview

Feb. 14th Interview (2019) APPROVED!!!!!!

AOS

July 24th: mailed AOS pkt

July 31st: received txt msg of receipt numbers for all documents

Aug 5th received NOA hard copies dated July 31st

Aug. 9th received Biometrics letter in the mail

Aug. 19th Biometrics appt.

Sept. 20th notified of RFE via website 

Sept. 25th Received hard copy of RFE (copy of BC)

Sept. 27th Sent response to RFE

Sept. 30th Response was delivered

Oct. 2nd... Response to evidence received updated on website

Feb 12, 2020 case is ready to schedule for interview

Feb 12, 2020 New card is being produced (EAD)
Feb 13, 2020 Notification that EAD  and AP was approved

Feb 18,2020 received hard copies of AP and EAD approval

Feb 18,2020 notification AOS interview scheduled and EAD mailed

Feb 20, 2020 received EAD card

Feb 24, 2020 received interview letter (March24th)

Aug 4, 2020 received notification of new interview date(rescheduled because of pandemic)

Sept. 14th new AOS interview
Oct. 30th AOS approval

Nov. 9th New card is being produced

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!!

I am currently adjusting my status from F1 through marriage to a USC. I was born in South Africa and immigrated to Canada as an infant. I'm a Canadian citizen. Through VJ, I've come to realize that USCIS will likely want me to have the "new" unabridged birth certificate. I've already submitted my AOS application and am now fully anticipating the dreaded RFE.

I'm going to secure this document in the meantime. Current processing times are approximately 6mo for a birth cert if you apply for it through either a Canadian or American consulate, but I've heard of "agents" who can assist in getting these documents sooner. Has anyone here used one successfully or could recommend one?

I've found some threads on this but they're older, and one requires having family in SA to start the process for you (my uncle and aunt and grandparents are there, but I'm not sure how much work is involved and so don't want to burden them with this).

Thanks!!

02/22/20 -- AOS package (I-130/I-485/I-864/I-765/I-131) sent to USCIS

02/25/20 -- Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox

03/17/20 -- Cheques cashed and text messages received

03/20/20 -- Received NOAs in the mail (I-130/I-486/I-765/I-131)

05/04/20 -- Received I-693 courtesy letter

10/11/20 -- Received biometrics notice (finally! Yay!)

10/21/20 -- Biometrics (I485/I765 Code 3, I-131 Code 2 in Hartford, CT)

10/23/20 -- Biometrics applied to all cases (I-485/I-765/I-131)

10/27/20 -- Case ready to be scheduled for an interview (location unknown 😅)

11/12/20 -- Second biometrics appointment (I-131, Code 2, in Pittsburgh, PA)

01/20/21 -- I-765 Expedite Request Submitted

01/29/21 -- I-765 Expedite Request Approved

02/01/21 -- I-765/I-131 Approved

02/16/21 -- Interview was Scheduled

02/17/21 -- Interview confirmed to be scheduled at the wrong FO, request to reschedule interview initiated

03/16/21 -- Interview cancelled, entered into scheduling queue for the correct FO

05/14/21 -- Interview rescheduled

06/25/21 -- Interview completed in Pittsburgh, approved on the spot 🙏❤️ 

4 minutes ago, LilyKins said:

Hi all!!

I am currently adjusting my status from F1 through marriage to a USC. I was born in South Africa and immigrated to Canada as an infant. I'm a Canadian citizen. Through VJ, I've come to realize that USCIS will likely want me to have the "new" unabridged birth certificate. I've already submitted my AOS application and am now fully anticipating the dreaded RFE.

I'm going to secure this document in the meantime. Current processing times are approximately 6mo for a birth cert if you apply for it through either a Canadian or American consulate, but I've heard of "agents" who can assist in getting these documents sooner. Has anyone here used one successfully or could recommend one?

I've found some threads on this but they're older, and one requires having family in SA to start the process for you (my uncle and aunt and grandparents are there, but I'm not sure how much work is involved and so don't want to burden them with this).

Thanks!!

I needed a birth certificate ASAP for our K1 interview. I found a company (Passports4u) that would expedite the process. I went the route of going to start the process myself at Home Affairs and then giving them the information, but they also provided an option where someone would do waiting at Home Affairs for you and they'd deliver it. 

Not sure if they still do this as it was a year ago, but you could look into it and have the certificate sent to your family members and then couriered to the US? 

Edited by ashoos

Hi everyone 👋

I hope everyone is doing well. 

I have my AOS interview coming up at the end of the month . The interview notice States that you should bring a completed medical form if you haven’t already submitted it. I had my medical done in sa in April 2019. I filed my AOS application August 2019. Am I all good for the interview, or do I have to quickly try and have a medical done again before my AoS Interview? 

After reading the instructions on the medical form it states that a k1 medical done overseas is valid so long as the AOS application was filed within a year of it being done .

The answer might be straight forward but I think I’m just nervous because it’s march and the interview is being done close to it being a year since my medical.

please can someone shed some light on this for me.

Thank you ! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline
1 hour ago, lau--lau said:

Hi everyone 👋

I hope everyone is doing well. 

I have my AOS interview coming up at the end of the month . The interview notice States that you should bring a completed medical form if you haven’t already submitted it. I had my medical done in sa in April 2019. I filed my AOS application August 2019. Am I all good for the interview, or do I have to quickly try and have a medical done again before my AoS Interview? 

After reading the instructions on the medical form it states that a k1 medical done overseas is valid so long as the AOS application was filed within a year of it being done .

The answer might be straight forward but I think I’m just nervous because it’s march and the interview is being done close to it being a year since my medical.

please can someone shed some light on this for me.

Thank you ! 

We were in the same situation, but as long as you already turned it in you should be fine. 

35 minutes ago, vistawateraz said:

We were in the same situation, but as long as you already turned it in you should be fine. 

Yip I sent in the completed medical forms, except the brown envelope, which I didn’t feel comfortable sending via mail Incase it got lost. I will be taking the envelope to the interview. Thank you soooo much 🙏

Our AOS interview is on the 24th of this month and my husband started working this week.... We are so excited oh and he got his drivers license :)

Luflolady

Jan 29th NOA1

AOS

Aug 4, 2020 received notification of new interview date(rescheduled because of pandemic)

Oct. 30th AOS approval

• 2 months later...
Timeline

Hi guys,

My fiance and i received our NOA2 on Feb 25th right when this whole worldwide shutdown happened 

I contacted the NVC and they gave me a new case number with JHN for Johannesburg via email

She was notified her police clearance was finalized in Milnerton but from here i have a few questions on our scenario about what happens next and i was hoping you guys could help me out

Should she get something in the mail? should I? 

I know my fiance needs to do a DS-160 

My fiance has a 15yr old daughter that will be 16 in June does she need a police clearance?  does she need to do a DS-160 or DS-260? 

Myself nor her has received  anything in the mail since the NOA2

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hey guys!

I am quite new to this process with my fiance. However, I know some countries have a no/yes thing about joint sponsorships.

Does South Africa allow joint sponsors? As we are both college students and I am about to graduate just anxious and trying to plan ahead! :)

Thank you

On 5/5/2020 at 7:19 PM, Patrick Eiland said:

Hi guys,

My fiance and i received our NOA2 on Feb 25th right when this whole worldwide shutdown happened 

I contacted the NVC and they gave me a new case number with JHN for Johannesburg via email

She was notified her police clearance was finalized in Milnerton but from here i have a few questions on our scenario about what happens next and i was hoping you guys could help me out

Should she get something in the mail? should I? 

I know my fiance needs to do a DS-160 

My fiance has a 15yr old daughter that will be 16 in June does she need a police clearance?  does she need to do a DS-160 or DS-260? 

Myself nor her has received  anything in the mail since the NOA2

You wont receive anything in the mail it's all electronic.... you have you case number so now you can check the website to see of available interview dates...however sometimes it will take up to 2 months for you to get an interview date. We received our case number in Nov and there wasn't any dates released until Jan I think..... I am not sure about the soon to be 16yr old.... good luck! 

On 5/14/2020 at 12:59 PM, kristinaax03225 said:

Hey guys!

I am quite new to this process with my fiance. However, I know some countries have a no/yes thing about joint sponsorships.

Does South Africa allow joint sponsors? As we are both college students and I am about to graduate just anxious and trying to plan ahead! :)

Thank you

Joint sponsorship should not be a problem just make sure you have the right documents from all parties good luck

Luflolady

Jan 29th NOA1

AOS

Oct. 30th AOS approval

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 5/21/2020 at 10:18 AM, LuFlolady said:

You wont receive anything in the mail it's all electronic.... you have you case number so now you can check the website to see of available interview dates...however sometimes it will take up to 2 months for you to get an interview date. We received our case number in Nov and there wasn't any dates released until Jan I think..... I am not sure about the soon to be 16yr old.... good luck! 

Joint sponsorship should not be a problem just make sure you have the right documents from all parties good luck

Where do we schedule the interview?  Also the NVC CEAC website where you check the status says it is still "At NVC"

Can we schedule a interview with it still being at the NVC?  We are well due to hear something back we got our NOA2 way back in march and since i got the NOA2 in the mail nothing else has been communicated 

Timeline
28 minutes ago, Patrick Eiland said:

Where do we schedule the interview?  Also the NVC CEAC website where you check the status says it is still "At NVC"

Can we schedule a interview with it still being at the NVC?  We are well due to hear something back we got our NOA2 way back in march and since i got the NOA2 in the mail nothing else has been communicated 

Patrick I am no expert by any means but, when it’s in NVC stage you can start the DS-160 I believe. You use the 1-797 I believe as your receipt number. 
also please update your timeline as it helps with estimation dates for other users. 

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Good Morning all,

My fiance and i have had our application at the NVC in New Hampshire since April and it was at the WAC in California since last November , I called and got the receipt number alsos

When it arrived at the NVC it had JHN letters now with a new case number but every day I have checked since April it says "At NVC "  does anyone know what the hold up is? is it a USA hold up? or is the problem in Johannesburg?  

Is there anything i can do to help expedite? My Fiance and her Daughter are waiting on their Police Clearances but those seem to be taking forever also 

Timeline
4 hours ago, Patrick Eiland said:

Good Morning all,

My fiance and i have had our application at the NVC in New Hampshire since April and it was at the WAC in California since last November , I called and got the receipt number alsos

When it arrived at the NVC it had JHN letters now with a new case number but every day I have checked since April it says "At NVC "  does anyone know what the hold up is? is it a USA hold up? or is the problem in Johannesburg?  

Is there anything i can do to help expedite? My Fiance and her Daughter are waiting on their Police Clearances but those seem to be taking forever also 

Hello,

I believe it’s due to the fact the embassy are closed. 
However, police clearances are also taking forever for some odd reason. Which is a SA issue not a US issue. 
in the end nothing you can do but to sadly be patient :( 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.