IssaCaptureFL

Haiti K1 Visa Applicants

1,796 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Stumbled across this article that just came out. It was of Haiti’s US Embassy review. It’s online and can be found on stateoig.gov. It’s a lot to read but it’s absolutely worth it especially to those who were denied and are still waiting on response from the embassy. 

Immigrant Visa Workload Not Managed Effectively
OIG found that the Immigrant Visa (IV) Unit accepted more cases than it had the capacity to process in an efficient and effective manner. This resulted in a daily workload that was heavy and unevenly distributed among 4 consular officers and 23 LE staff. In particular, until November 2018, the unit had requested from the National Visa Center (NVC) about 1,400 new IV cases per month, but the requests did not factor in the unit’s high volume of locally scheduled cases. Locally scheduled cases are necessary to accommodate IV applicants who are refused at their first appointment due to incomplete documentation. Applicants are then scheduled locally to return when they have the additional documentation. OIG noted that, as a result of the combined volume of cases, relatively inexperienced adjudicating officers were working long hours to adjudicate the daily number of applicants regularly scheduled by NVC, as well as the locally scheduled applicants. Additionally, some officers told OIG that their initial
 ISP-I-19-18
UNCLASSIFIED

UNCLASSIFIED
 training program was shortened because of the heavy workload, which affected their productivity and contributed to low morale in the IV Unit.
OIG found that the embassy had started taking steps to address these issues. Specifically, the newly arrived Consul General began matching resources to capacity. In addition, to lower the weekly refusal rate, the embassy engaged the NVC to propose measures to enhance the preparedness level of IV applicants.
In accordance with 3 FAM 1214b(2), 7 FAH-1 H-262.3-4, Workload Distribution, and 7 FAH-1 H- 242c(6), Workload Analysis, consular managers are expected to plan strategically and use consular management tools to analyze processes and workload to effectively manage resources. Guidance in the Bureau of Consular Affairs’ leadership tenets, management framework,19 and 7 FAH-1 H-241 and 7 FAH–1 H-261 also outline expectations for consular managers to manage “existing resources to deal effectively with consular workloads,” “seek ways to improve operational effectiveness,” and “effectively distribute resources in an equitable manner to ensure mission accomplishment.” Failure to plan strategically to manage existing resources and deal effectively with consular workloads creates backlogs, lowers productivity and morale, truncates training, and leads to overtime costs.
Recommendation 7: Embassy Port-au-Prince should use the Bureau of Consular Affairs’ management framework to manage the immigrant visa workload more effectively. (Action: Embassy Port-au-Prince)
Reviews of Immigrant Visa Refusals Did Not Meet Department Standards
The embassy did not review all of the refused immigrant visa cases required by Department standards. For example, between April 1 and June 30, 2018, managers did not review 380 of 447 (85 percent) of the refusals that should have been reviewed. Guidance in 9 FAM 504.11- 3(A)(2), however, states that consular managers must review all immigrant visa refusals that cannot be overcome by presentation of additional evidence. Notwithstanding this guidance, consular managers did not prioritize these reviews. Failure to conduct reviews of refusal cases increases the risk of adjudication errors and denying the immigration benefit to an eligible applicant.
Recommendation 8: Embassy Port-au-Prince should review immigrant visa refusals in accordance with Department guidelines. (Action: Embassy Port-au-Prince)
Consular Section Intake Procedures, Use of Space Were Inefficient
OIG found that the embassy did not make the most efficient use of intake procedures and available space to process Consular Section customers and accommodate them as efficiently,
19 The Bureau of Consular Affairs created the Consular Leadership Tenets to provide a value-based approach to leadership. The bureau’s 1CA Management Framework is designed to complement the leadership tenets and provide consular teams with tools to analyze and address common consular management and leadership issues.
  ISP-I-19-18
UNCLASSIFIED

UNCLASSIFIED
 safely, and pleasantly as possible. For example, applicants typically were accommodated on a first-come, first-served basis, rather than according to their appointment time. Applicants arriving at the consular compound access control area were grouped by their requested consular services, admitted to the embassy compound, and, after reaching the consular waiting room, again were sorted and directed to initial processing. Waiting times varied depending on the requested service, with some applicants spending up to an hour standing in line before seeing an adjudicator. Furthermore, a covered seating area between the access control area and the waiting room entrance that would allow some applicants to sit while they waited remained largely unused. Guidance in 7 FAH-1 H-281a states that an effective consular section needs to provide secure, adequate, efficient, comfortable, and attractive accommodation for both visitors and staff. In addition, the Bureau of Consular Affairs’ management framework, which consular managers did not consult for guidance on this issue, provides tools to conduct workflow analysis in order to more efficiently process applicants. Without more attention to procedures and accommodations, applicants often wait longer than necessary in uncomfortable conditions, and consular productivity is decreased due to inefficient processes.
Recommendation 9: Embassy Port-au-Prince should use the Bureau of Consular Affairs’ management framework to comply with Department guidance for processing and accommodating consular customers. (Action: Embassy Port-au-Prince)  

NEW Case Status website: https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/

OLD  Case Status website: https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

USCIS - 800-375-5283.  NVC - (603)-334-0700

Contact the National Customer Service Center (NCSC) at 1-800-375-5283.

What to do after NOA2 Approval? How to contact NVC? Click here for info - https://goo.gl/KggThF

USPS INFORMED DELIVERY - https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/8/2019 at 10:17 AM, Love4 said:

I don't know if anyone else realized, but Haiti is finally off the Do Not Travel advisory. Hopefully that means they'll be back functioning as normal. It also does not say they are only processing emergency immigrant visas on the us travel docs. Hopefully it stays like that for some time.

That's good news

Timeline

Hi guys, did you send your birth certificate or extrait des archives when applying for AOS? I sent extrait archives they sent me an RFE today I don't know if it's because I didn't send the actual birth certificate made in Les Cayes where I was born but I used the one made in Port au Prince called extrait des archives for all my K1 steps .

14 hours ago, Joey.C said:

Hi guys, did you send your birth certificate or extrait des archives when applying for AOS? I sent extrait archives they sent me an RFE today I don't know if it's because I didn't send the actual birth certificate made in Les Cayes where I was born but I used the one made in Port au Prince called extrait des archives for all my K1 steps .

Extrait

On 7/29/2019 at 7:11 AM, Godschild! said:

Hii, yes I did have the interview,  right now I'm going through AP( administrative processing) .and I have to send them  one more document which wasn't with me doing my interview.  Will do by Thurs. 

Okay. What document did they ask for that you didn't have? What questions did they ask? 

On 7/28/2019 at 12:52 PM, Love4 said:

I'm still waiting unfortunately. Hopefully theyre still scheduling interviews. Have you heard anything yet? 

Not yet but I expect it to be soon. 

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

After 11 months in administrative Processing  my fiancé visa was finally approved. It’s been such a stressful journey for both of us but I think god for putting us through this because it made us stronger and gain patience something both him and I lacked. We started this journey back in December 2017!!! This forum has helped me in so many ways, no question was ever left unanswered. Thank you to everyone who helped us along the way. All were waiting on is the visa to be printed and mailed. For those who are wondering here’s our loooonnnngg time line. 

December 7th 2017 sent application to USCIS 

December 8th recieved 

*USCIS recieved date December 13th

June 27th Approved 

July 5th sent to NVC

July 15th  Transit

July 18th paid 

Interview scheduled on July 19th for September 4th. 

September 4th 2018- Interview: Placed on AP due to not having original Divorce & Marriage License. Asked for additional chat logs from October 2016 (I sent January 2017 through 2018 chat logs)

Marriage and Divorce certificates took 4.5 months due to inbetween riots and Haiti slow processing along with a whole bunch of in-between B.S

February 6th 2019 documents sent 

February 7th Haiti starts 1.5 week protest which caused DHL and embassy to be closed. 

February 18th Documents arrived was advised to wait 60 days for answer 

April 4thth contact embassy was advised to be patient 

April 9th wrote Senator on the issue 

April 18th senator stated they sent the embassy a letter. 

Updated on the April 20th & 23rd

April 24th embassy calls fiancée and advised him to a package at DHL on April 26th. Packet states he need a new Medical 

April 29th medical completed 

May 3rd Medical mailed to the embassy 

May 7th received/updated

May 15th case update 

May 17th case update 

May 24th case update 

May 29 Case update 

June 21, 2019 case update 

July 17th Emailed Senator again

August 2nd - Email US Ambassador for Haiti 

August 5th - Case changed from AP to Ready 

August 6th Case changed to application received and changed from Immigration Visa to Nonimmgration visa. Received a follow up email from embassy stating the visa was approved. 

August 7 - Called to confirm status, I was advised the visa has been issued. 

What to do after NOA2 Approval? How to contact NVC? Click here for info - https://goo.gl/KggThF

USPS INFORMED DELIVERY - https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

8 minutes ago, IssaCaptureFL said:

After 11 months in administrative Processing  my fiancé visa was finally approved. It’s been such a stressful journey for both of us but I think god for putting us through this because it made us stronger and gain patience something both him and I lacked. We started this journey back in December 2017!!! This forum has helped me in so many ways, no question was ever left unanswered. Thank you to everyone who helped us along the way. All were waiting on is the visa to be printed and mailed. For those who are wondering here’s our loooonnnngg time line. 

December 7th 2017 sent application to USCIS 

December 8th recieved 

*USCIS recieved date December 13th

June 27th Approved 

July 5th sent to NVC

July 15th  Transit

July 18th paid 

Interview scheduled on July 19th for September 4th. 

September 4th 2018- Interview: Placed on AP due to not having original Divorce & Marriage License. Asked for additional chat logs from October 2016 (I sent January 2017 through 2018 chat logs)

Marriage and Divorce certificates took 4.5 months due to inbetween riots and Haiti slow processing along with a whole bunch of in-between B.S

February 6th 2019 documents sent 

February 7th Haiti starts 1.5 week protest which caused DHL and embassy to be closed. 

February 18th Documents arrived was advised to wait 60 days for answer 

April 4thth contact embassy was advised to be patient 

April 9th wrote Senator on the issue 

April 18th senator stated they sent the embassy a letter. 

Updated on the April 20th & 23rd

April 24th embassy calls fiancée and advised him to a package at DHL on April 26th. Packet states he need a new Medical 

April 29th medical completed 

May 3rd Medical mailed to the embassy 

May 7th received/updated

May 15th case update 

May 17th case update 

May 24th case update 

May 29 Case update 

June 21, 2019 case update 

July 17th Emailed Senator again

August 2nd - Email US Ambassador for Haiti 

August 5th - Case changed from AP to Ready 

August 6th Case changed to application received and changed from Immigration Visa to Nonimmgration visa. Received a follow up email from embassy stating the visa was approved. 

August 7 - Called to confirm status, I was advised the visa has been issued. 

Congratulations I have waited a long time to see you get to this point in the process I’m very happy God Bless you guys 

Timeline
7 hours ago, Juliette2784 said:

Congratulations I have waited a long time to see you get to this point in the process I’m very happy God Bless you guys 

Thank you!!! It’s been a long time coming. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.