MrsKhan

What does this mean? Worried!!! [merged threads]

586 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, charmander said:

That data is available annually. Here are 2016 numbers https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/Lawful_Permanent_Residents_2016.pdf

Of all GCs in 2016, 14.7% are parents, 4.2% are adult children, and 5.7% are siblings.

Thanks for that.

I just skimmed through the document.

So family based immigration made up for 68% in 2016.

14.7 + 4.2 + 5.7 = 24.6%

About 25% of family based cases are family that are not spouses and minor children. That brings to the point that reallocating the parent, adult children, and sibling categories to employment based categories.

The employment based category was only 12% in 2016! Only 12%

That means people brought over twice as many family members outside of their spouse and children than highly skilled workers. 

If you remove the 25% from the 68% that brings it down to 43% of the share of immigration. 

If you then take that 25% and add it to the 12% employment based immigration, it will bring that category up to 37%.

Logically, it seems fair.

But like @SkruDe mentioned in his or her post, because of the people it will effect, logic gets thrown out the window.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline
4 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

Thanks for that.

I just skimmed through the document.

So family based immigration made up for 68% in 2016.

14.7 + 4.2 + 5.7 = 24.6%

About 25% of family based cases are family that are not spouses and minor children. That brings to the point that reallocating the parent, adult children, and sibling categories to employment based categories.

The employment based category was only 12% in 2016! Only 12%

That means people brought over twice as many family members outside of their spouse and children than highly skilled workers. 

If you remove the 25% from the 68% that brings it down to 43% of the share of immigration. 

If you then take that 25% and add it to the 12% employment based immigration, it will bring that category up to 37%.

Logically, it seems fair.

But like @SkruDe mentioned in his or her post, because of the people it will effect, logic gets thrown out the window.

If you look at my other posting just above yours, only slightly less than half of the EB green cards are the actual highly skilled workers. rest of the EB green cards are their spouses and kids. If you do the math, ~5.5% of all green cards are the actual high-skill workers.

I think it would be better to keep the spouses and minor children out of EBs quotas. Some would come as single, some married with 5 kids. That shouldn't affect how many high-skilled workers we get if we are rooting for a merit-based immigration.

1 hour ago, charmander said:

If you look at my other posting just above yours, only slightly less than half of the EB green cards are the actual highly skilled workers. rest of the EB green cards are their spouses and kids. If you do the math, ~5.5% of all green cards are the actual high-skill workers.

I think it would be better to keep the spouses and minor children out of EBs quotas. Some would come as single, some married with 5 kids. That shouldn't affect how many high-skilled workers we get if we are rooting for a merit-based immigration.

Agreed.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

I'm a little surprised that no one actually fact checked the report by the Cato institute. I seen a few inaccuracies. 

Here is the actual bill if you're interested:

https://www.cotton.senate.gov/files/documents/170801_New_RAISE_Act_One_Pager_FINAL.pdf

Edited by Gamboli

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

I think pretty much all of what is in the bill above is reasonable - renewable visa for elderly parents - sounds reasonable. 

Would also like to see birthright citizenship eliminated but I'm pretty sure that goes really far back (a constitutional amendment?) so I doubt that'll ever happen.

Would also like to see more stringent requirements for spouse visas. K1 has a lot of room for abuse and fraud and potential to bring over individuals who have nothing to contribute to this country intellectually. 

Removal of Conditions

08/14/2019: I-751 mailed
08/20/2019: I-751 delivered to Phoenix
08/26/2019: Check cashed 
08/29/2019: 18 month extension letter received 
01/08/2019: Biometrics completed

Naturalization

07/29/2020: N-400 submitted online

12/21/2020: Interview date

2 minutes ago, sarahandyunus said:

Would also like to see more stringent requirements for spouse visas. K1 has a lot of room for abuse and fraud and potential to bring over individuals who have nothing to contribute to this country intellectually. 

So US citizens should be required to fall in love with and marry spouses who can contribute to the country intellectually? At least if they want to live with them in the US.

That goes a little far for me...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
5 hours ago, Gamboli said:

I'm a little surprised that no one actually fact checked the report by the Cato institute. I seen a few inaccuracies. 

Here is the actual bill if you're interested:

https://www.cotton.senate.gov/files/documents/170801_New_RAISE_Act_One_Pager_FINAL.pdf

Someone posted the bill at some point. Haha. This thread has been very active over the past week and I know a couple of people even posted a revision but it is likely lost in pages of discussion. 

01/31/17.... K1 Visa Approved

02/03/17.... K1 Visa Received in Hand

06/05/17....Arrived in the USA (LAX)

06/24/17....Married on Cape Cod <3

07/10/17....Sent AOS package (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/17/17.... AOS notice date for NOA1 (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/21/17.... Received mailed hardcopies of NOA1s

07/29/17.... Biometrics Notice received in mail 

08/01/17.... Biometrics Appointment AOS - complete (walked in)

08/07/17.... Biometrics Appointment EAD - complete (walked in)

10/23/17.... EAD/AP card delivered to house YAY!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline
4 minutes ago, AshMarty said:

Someone posted the bill at some point. Haha. This thread has been very active over the past week and I know a couple of people even posted a revision but it is likely lost in pages of discussion. 

This is one area VJ lacks. You cannot do keyword searches within the thread. There is advanced search option and also google custom search but they both do searches in the whole VJ archive. It would have been great if they just add a search box for the topic itself.

if you want to check who else posted the pdf link of RAISE Act (for instance I did last week and I'm pretty sure I wasn't the first one either), the best way is unfortunately going through all postings one by one.

1 hour ago, IDWAF said:

Voules vouz couche

I look a lot like Ryan Gosling if you close your eyes really tight.  But being “normal” and short, as well as not rich...

Suffice it to say I had to order my wife from a mail order bride site.

Not rich :jest:  IDWAF is loaded. Like Yacht , Ferrari , Hot young trophy wife loaded 

1 hour ago, IDWAF said:

Voules vouz couche

I look a lot like Ryan Gosling if you close your eyes really tight.  But being “normal” and short, as well as not rich...

Suffice it to say I had to order my wife from a mail order bride site.

I had to order my husband from the Home Office, which isn't unlike Ikea. He was too expensive to upgrade to a PhD, so I traded down a little bit and nixed the instruction manual. He does come with a Ryan Gosling option so that is a plus. :D

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 1/29/2018 at 9:22 AM, Boiler said:

I have no particular problem in principle, more an issue of not becoming a Public Charge which is reasonable.

Now somebody coming here at retirement age has nothing saved in the system so the multipliers you see, 10x salary at 65 would be larger.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-guidelines-for-young-retirement-savers/

The numbers mentioned in the I864 would be totally inadequate, so perhaps a compromise, require realistic numbers?

Hope parents visa will be allowed. 

God is Good All The Time