Renee & Miguel

K1 Visa Process

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum so hoping I can get some answers.  I received my NOA1 on December 1st 2017.  They originally told me the whole process would be 5-6 months but now they are saying it could be longer.  Realistically what should I expect in terms of timing for receipt of the NOA2?  My fiance lives in Mexico.  Also once he does finally get here to the US, I understand that he can't travel out of the country until the Adjustment of Status is completed.. What is the current timing for that part of the process and what if there's a family emergency?  Do we have to start the process all over?  Thanks! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yes, unfortunately NOA2 processing times have increased to close to 6-7 months. Then add in another 2-4 months until the interview stage for an overall processing timeline of 9-12 months. 

The AOS processing times largely depend on the speed of your local office. You can file for EAD (Employment Authorization so he can legally work)/AP (Advanced Parole so he can travel outside of the US and return without applying for another visa) along with the green card application.  EAD/AP are currently taking around 3-6 months, however if a family emergency were to occur and you had proof of it, you could try to expedite the Advanced Parole. The green card can take anywhere from 4-12+ months depending your local office. 

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

It's impossible to give a definitive answer to how long one should expect this process to last. There are so many factors, obviously one main one being which country as some countries have varying requirements, wait time, etc., than others.

It has been taking far longer over the past year than it has in the past, to my understanding. We filed the beginning of June and did not receive our NOA2 until December 1st. We are still currently waiting to finish processing with the NVC and wind up at the embassy in Stockholm (my fiancé's home country) to continue the process. We still have his medical requirements to fulfill, and then the final interview.

It seems to be the luck of the draw, quite honestly; compared to my above personal stats, there are some who petitioned long before we did (April and May) who are still awaiting their NOA2s. No one has yet to come up with a significant rhyme or reason to it.

I would mentally prepare yourselves for a solid year, or better part of a year, from beginning to end.

I would look around the forums, see if you can find other posters with the same beneficiary country as you and see how their timelines are averaging out. Looking at another's timeline from the same country does not automatically mean your timeline will mirror theirs, but it may be helpful setting yourself up some viable expectations for your specific process.

Best of luck to you! I wish I could say this is a piece of cake and will be over soon, but.... :( Just be patient, hang in there, and hold onto one another.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Timeline

Thanks for your response.  Wow, that's a bummer.. we were told this part of the process would be 3-5 months.. then they recently told us 5-7 for this part. As far as the EAD and AP, when can we file for that? Do we have to wait until he's actually here and we are married?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, repalm22 said:

Thanks for your response.  Wow, that's a bummer.. we were told this part of the process would be 3-5 months.. then they recently told us 5-7 for this part. As far as the EAD and AP, when can we file for that? Do we have to wait until he's actually here and we are married?

Yes, you cannot apply for AOS/EAD/AP until he has arrived and you get married. Also, be aware that there is an additional cost to file the AOS paperwork ($1225).

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

Timeline

Thanks again for all of the information. I appreciate the words of encouragement as this process is difficult on all of us.  I travel to Mexico once a month to see him for a couple days at a time.. It's hard but we are trying to remain positive and hope that we get lucky like some of the people have.  I agree with there being no rhyme or reason. Some people move along the process quicker than others.  I will read up some more.  I'm just extra sad because im thinking wow i'm almost two months in only few months to go and now it's all changed.  Good luck to everyone and thanks again..

Timeline

I have another question.  I see that we can check the status on the current processing times at USCIS.  How come it says currently reviewing applications from June.  It was last updated as of October 2017 so is it possible that they have been reviewing June's from October until now?  Is there another site you can recommend the current processing times?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
42 minutes ago, Renee & Miguel said:

I have another question.  I see that we can check the status on the current processing times at USCIS.  How come it says currently reviewing applications from June.  It was last updated as of October 2017 so is it possible that they have been reviewing June's from October until now?  Is there another site you can recommend the current processing times?

If you check in the Case Filing and Progress Reports subforum, you can see threads from members who filed during various months. Looks like there are a handful of approvals from July filers, but most seem to be still waiting. 

01/22/2018: Filed I-129F

10/11/2018: K-1 Interview (Guangzhou, China) -- approved at last!

02/14/2019: POE

02/21/2019: We're married, baby!

03/29/2019: Filed for AOS, EAD, and AP

02/07/2022: Filed for ROC

12/13/2022: Filed N400

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
1 hour ago, Renee & Miguel said:

Website updates with the data of 2 months ago.

those dates are to pursue if someone is out of normal processing time, for you for example it needs to turn December 1 so that you can say it is out of normal times and put an inquiry.

as of Friday; they are processing mainly june and up to mid- july cases. (The last one we saw was 14th of July)

at this moment the average takes 185-220 days for noa1 to noa2.

7-8 months.

i don't know how it will change in the next months but it is hard to assume at this moment that it will go under 6 months. And NVC is taking 35+ days. 

So give it 9-12 months for k1 visa on hand.

unfortuantely everybody thought this will be faster, however whoever told you it would be 3-5 months when you were filing had no idea what the current timelines were. Most people don't have a clue about this. Lawyers have nooooo idea, and visa agents are just learning this too.

so good luck and sit tight. It will end one way or another.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
18 hours ago, RJandHamid said:

Yes, you cannot apply for AOS/EAD/AP until he has arrived and you get married. Also, be aware that there is an additional cost to file the AOS paperwork ($1225).

PS: The EAD and AP is included in that fee. We followed the guidance for K1 Visas and AOS on Visa Journey and it was fantastic

Timeline
Spoiler

Ok so I know I have a long way to go but I'm just trying to figure this all out so I know what we are in for going forward.  I've been reading a lot of information about all this.  So once he gets here and we marry, we can apply for the AOS, EAD, AP.  Realistically how long will it take to get the EAD and AP?  Of course one of the worries is that he has to wait a long time before he can actually work legally.  Then secondly I just worry that if he has to get home to his family for whatever the reason, I don't want to have any issues.  So my question is do we know currently what the timing is for the EAD & AP.  I understand the AOS can take easily at least 6 moths.  Thanks..

EAD and AP can be 3 to 4 months with some taking longer.

AOS can take up to and exceeding a year in some cases. 

For those reading this and debating which route to take if working and travel as soon as you get to the US is important to you then marriage outside of the us and a spousal visa is the way to go. 

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

Timeline

Current processing times for EAD/AP are anywhere from 75-140 days. We filed for AOS along with EAD/AP in September 2017 and we just got my husband's EAD/AP approval letter yesterday (day 131 from filing). There are some who filed before me who are still waiting and some who filed months after me and received the EAD/AP in under 75 days. Some have had success in expediting the EAD with a job offer, or expediting the AP because of a personal/family emergency, but of course those quicker approvals are on a case by case basis. 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.