Corzo1106

I-212 - Deciding between fiance or spouse route

54 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Honduras
Timeline
14 hours ago, caliliving said:

People get waivers and approved all the time...find a good waiver lawyer and you have a 90+% success rate! 

Thanks! That's absolutely the plan. He will get here one day. I'm ok with being patient. 

Timeline
12 hours ago, dentsflogged said:

People here can be somewhat curt sometimes, I do agree. But most people do try to be helpful - it's tough when tone doesn't come across in writing and when people who are asking for help are stressed out they may automatically assume the worst - I know I certainly have a few times when looking for advice.

My third point was not meant to scaremonger, it's sadly just the truth.  Gather and keep records of *everything* when in doubt. How you met, dates, contact, things you do for one another and so on - it's the little things that may end up counting when it comes to showing a bonafide relationship just as much as the big things.  

Best of luck with the immigration lawyer.   I have an appointment to see one myself so I know how stressful the waiting and wanting an answer or an idea of questions to ask while you wait for the appointment can be! 

I hear you. Very true. It just threw me off guard because my past experience with VJ was very supportive. Now all of a sudden there's debate on here about why low income people of color want to leave poor and violent countries that have been exploited and destabilized by the US. Lol. 

Anyways, I remember keeping records of everything when I submitted a fiance visa in the past so I've been careful about continuing that habit this time around. I have records and photos. We are very honest people so I know with the evidence I prepare and the fact that we really are in love we will be ok. 

Thanks so much! Good luck to you too! The waiting is really hard but planning this year's trips was a highlight for me yesterday. We will get there eventually! ♥️

Timeline
12 hours ago, dentsflogged said:

This is an ongoing political agenda argument going on in Australia at the moment.  Plenty of people welcome refugees. Plenty more want them to prove genuine refugee status.  For those who manage to cross through several safe countries, get on a boat, and come to Australia, the argument is made that they are not genuine refugees, because they're choosing where they go for safety, not fleeing and going to the closest safe place.  I'll never forget the fuss made in the media a few years ago about "economic migrants" because there was a boat-load of folks sailing through Australian waters holding up huge signs to the AFP/border patrol who were heading out to collect them saying "We want to go to New Zealand" - literally passing a safe country to go to another one, which at the time (and actually I think they still do, Australia is ... well, not good about that right now) had much more lenient laws regarding refugee status.

This is really not the forum/place for that sort of conversation, but OP you should be 100% clear on what visa your partner intends to apply for.  Immigration (as you know having done the K1 thing before) has zero sense of humour and if they think your partner is looking for any route into the country, not coming here as part of a genuine, loving relationship, he'll be denied entry and possibly banned from attempting re-entry so fast that his head (and yours) will spin. 

Bear in mind that the USA last I heard, has been drastically reducing the number of refugess it takes in - or at least they're attempting to.  Also bear in mind the legal definition of Refugee: 

"A refugee, as defined by Section 101(a)(42) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), is a person who is unable or unwilling to return to his or her home country because of a “well-founded fear of persecution” due to race, membership in a particular social group, political opinion, religion, or national origin"

While it sounds somewhat... um... unpleasant in Honduras the way you have described it - certainly unsafe - it may not necessarily fall under the Refugee banner unless your partner has a verifiable story that the behavior ONLY happens to people of his race/social group/political view etc etc etc. 

If he does decide to go that way and is denied... well, just remember that 1 illegal entry/deportation, and then a denied request for refugee status will just make the CR1 that much harder and long-winded to get.    Not saying this to scare you or tell you not to do things, but take into account all the potential repercussions of actions that seem like a faster way to do things.

Yes, I'm starting to get a better sense of what will work best for our situation. I'm leaning towards the CR1 route as it's the easiest to prove and though there is absolutely risk in his community, with the political unrest and the gangs there, he did go back home and has been safe so far. 

Timeline
12 hours ago, Boiler said:

Common in Europe and the UK as well, we even have people seeking refuge from France.

Seems the claim was just that and an IJ gave him the opportunity to go home and anyway apart from the ban not really relevant to the issue any longer.

Just thought, unless it was deemed frivolous which most are but not many are viewed to be.

What happened was that he had no money or legal representation and gave up. He had been in detention 5 months and didn't have any support so he asked the judge to send him home. The asylum application was never filed but yes, I see your point. Looks like it would be best to focus on the CR1 and if it comes up he can tell his story.

Timeline
11 hours ago, Gamboli said:

I know that this is not related to what OP is asking, but I never understood why people would risk their lives, cross the border and move to a country where they can't work and live legally. This really limits the options that they have available. Decades ago it might have been different, but what type of high-income job an illegal immigrant could find to help them achieve the American dream? But maybe it's because I'm living in an ivory tower or something, regardless it doesn't make any sense to me. 

Dentsflogged gave you a really good response. I appreciate you checking your privilege and if you're truly interested there are many, many organizations that can give you insight and information. Maybe go make friends with someone who is experiencing this and get to know them and their story. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Corzo1106 said:

Now all of a sudden there's debate on here about why low income people of color want to leave poor and violent countries that have been exploited and destabilized by the US. Lol. 

What a load of BS!!!  I don't have to read your dribble...and I won't.......

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, ASMS said:

This is not related with the OP question.

Idk where do you live, but 5/7 years ago when life in Venezuela wasn't that bad, I was asking myself the same question. "why, do people do that, risking their life and going to a place where they will barely have any rights?.

But everything changed in here, and all what I read about countries going through communism didn't prepared me for what I'm living right now. I consider myself fortunate, because I can still eat 3 meals everyday, when many others scrounge for food in garbage bags, but the things you see when you go outside are terrible.

Here you pray everyday to not get sick, you go home before 4pm or you risk to not live another day. And like if not enough, you must deal with the persecution and the threats of the dictatorship.

But hey! USCIS didn't think 27.000 homicides per year, was bad enough to approve an expedited request.

I've read and seen videos about Venezuela. I'm sorry your country is going through this and hope that the political situation changes so that people can have a decent standard of living again. I'm worried Honduras is headed in that direction what with the dictator having committed election fraud.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread has gone off the rails and is now closed to further comment.

It's not to be reopened or referred to elsewhere.

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.