Keith & Arileidi

House Passes Bill To Avoid Government Shutdown

555 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 minutes ago, NikLR said:

When a child cannot survive on their own?  I think DACA is arrival before age 16? I'm not sure that's young enough?  That's a good question though. 

So you only become aware of where you live at 16?

Not sure that is normal.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

36 minutes ago, jg121783 said:

Except I'm not talking about a work permit. I'm talking about green cards if the conditions I listed are met. Personally I would rather have them legal and in the system than illegal with temporary work permits. The biggest thing here is we need steps to be taken to ensure we don't end up in this situation again. Last time there was amnesty we were promised everything would be fixed and it would never happen again. Then nothing was done to put a stop to illegal immigration. That is unacceptable this time.

If democrats want a path to citizenship for DACA recipients they better be ready to crack down like they never have before on illegal immigration going forward. That means anyone here illegally that doesn't meet DACA guidelines gets deported. If they don't have a history of being deported, have no criminal record and they remain in their country I might even be in favor of giving them a path to getting a green card. If they have been deported more than once or have a criminal record forget about it. We also need stiffer penalties for illegal immigration rather than simple deportation. I think your first offense should just be a deportation then subsequent violations should result in jail time then deportation with the amount of jail time increasing with each subsequent offense. Mexico gives illegal immigrants a year of hard labor then deportation but I think that is too harsh.

All that being said the Democrats picked the wrong time to bring this up. Both Trump and some Republicans have stated they are willing to negotiate on this but the Democrats want a free for all and have no reservations about shutting down the government to get their way. It's very shameful. Both my brother and his wife are in the military and will probably be going without pay for as long as Democrats choose to throw their temper tantrum. The budget and immigration are two seperate issues that should be taken up seperately. Let's get a budget passed then we can hash out the immigration issue.

This won't happen in fact the Dems in CA are doubling down on helping illegals evade ICE even if their criminals. They are offering up a bill to punish those that help ICE. Also if you reaped some type of reward from the tax cut then CA state will take half of what you saved.

53 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

It's the law, that's the reason.

They can ask. YOU have the RIGHT to not provide it, if you feel like it. And you have the right to provide it, if you feel like it.

When it is asked on a piece of paper, you have the right to not provide it.

Federal law mandates that only the DMV, the IRS, welfare agencies, and only governmental agencies may request your SSN. The additional 1974 Privacy Act, also requires that these stated agencies (local, state, and federal - not private entities) disclose to the individual when doing is so is mandatory rather than voluntary and what part of the law requires them to request it.

I ask for  SSN almost every day. If you want a loan you can give it to me.  If you don't you can move on, so to speak. If you want to pay cash then you can do as you please 

Filed: Timeline
24 minutes ago, jg121783 said:

The only reason my wife got her learners permit that day is because I threatened legal action. My wife didn't have her green card yet so her visa served as a temporary green card. That is what CBP told me on the phone. They even told me it should be accepted for drivers licenses. Unfortunately the idiot at the DMV couldn't get that through his thick skull. We went back and forth about it for 2 hours until I threatened to sue the DMV and him personally. He then picked up the phone and called someone at the main DMV office who immediately told him I was right. The bad thing is my wife took her driving test a couple months ago and this same idiot is the one who gave her the test. Of course he failed her and I could tell he remembered me from the last time. My wife told me he gave her instructions that were intentionally confusing and I could tell by his attitude when he told me she failed that something was up. We're waiting for the snow to go away then she is going to take the test again in the next town over.

Well, according to what I went thru, the visa should have counted for nothing.  It becomes null and void as soon as she hits the first port of embarkation in the US.  Then the I-94 takes over to provide legal status (90 days in our case).  But at least she got it done.  We had to wait for the GC because the DMV wouldn’t budge, they saw her as “out of status”, in spite of what the local USCIS officer told them.

Yeah, that’s pretty messed up.  Go take it elsewhere.  Then come back and bring your wife and stand in his line and tell him she passed.  What a jerk!

Timeline
17 minutes ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

I would be ok with letting every non criminal stay, regardless of age, if they absolutely fix the problem, bolt down the hatch. No citizenship but LPR status.

In the future , no work for illegals, no school for illegals, no govt services for illegals, no medical care for illegals. no sanctuary cities. Harsh penalties for hiring them, harsh penalties for being here illegal. Caught and it's a one way ticket home, no exceptions 

Difficult to argue against, big issues would Politicians following through.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Difficult to argue against, big issues would Politicians following through.

We just can't do another amnesty Bill like under Reagan and not fix the problem 

17 minutes ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

I ask for  SSN almost every day. If you want a loan you can give it to me.  If you don't you can move on, so to speak. If you want to pay cash then you can do as you please 

The law though says they don't have to give it to you and you cannot deny them service for not providing it to you.. unless it's under very specific circumstances. Is this due to the OFAC about reporting large transactions to the appropriate agency or is it purely just for a credit check? Obtaining health insurance though isn't one of those thankfully. It's just a real shame many don't know this... I've seen so many couples on here really mess stuff up because of that.

23 minutes ago, IDWAF said:

Well, according to what I went thru, the visa should have counted for nothing.  It becomes null and void as soon as she hits the first port of embarkation in the US.  Then the I-94 takes over to provide legal status (90 days in our case).  But at least she got it done.  We had to wait for the GC because the DMV wouldn’t budge, they saw her as “out of status”, in spite of what the local USCIS officer told them.

Yeah, that’s pretty messed up.  Go take it elsewhere.  Then come back and bring your wife and stand in his line and tell him she passed.  What a jerk!

According to how I understand it (at least for this state), the K1 (if that's what is used) is null as soon as you cross the border. The I-94 can be used to obtain a license provided it is not close to the period where it will lapse. However, only a temporary license will be issued, and expires as soon as the I-94. They will not issue based on an AOS NOA1 either, instead requiring you to wait until the EAD has arrived or the green card, whichever comes first. We went in with the EAD to get his temporary 1yr license, and upgraded with the green card. He's good to go for eight years now.

24 minutes ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

I would be ok with letting every non criminal stay, regardless of age, if they absolutely fix the problem, bolt down the hatch. No citizenship but LPR status.

In the future , no work for illegals, no school for illegals, no govt services for illegals, no medical care for illegals. no sanctuary cities. Harsh penalties for hiring them, harsh penalties for being here illegal. Caught and it's a one way ticket home, no exceptions 

I have no disagreement with this (with the exception of medical care - if a person is sick or injured I think we have a moral and ethical responsibility for care - however bills must be paid). And I think most people wouldn't have a disagreement either. But there are other aspects of immigration that need improvements, and I don't see anyone interested in that.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

49 minutes ago, Boiler said:

So you only become aware of where you live at 16?

Not sure that is normal.

I agree that would not be normal. Aware and choice are two different things though. I dont recall saying every DACA reciprocate has only known their entire life in the USA though?  Just that they were brought here as children and some have never known life elsewhere. 

I do agree with nature boy too.  Ending it is fine, but the rules need to be the same for everyone and enforced strictly.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

We just can't do another amnesty Bill like under Reagan and not fix the problem 

We as in the American People absolutely.

Politicians aka the Swamp, well not so sure.

Timeline
Just now, NikLR said:

Just that they were brought here as children and some have never known life elsewhere. 

How does this happen, are their memory cells wiped?

36 minutes ago, IDWAF said:

On a K1 it doesnt thats part of the issue of a K1 with the necessity of the AOS.  CR1 is superior in this aspect that you are not ever in limbo. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

How does this happen, are their memory cells wiped?

SOME I'm sure were brought as babies.  Others I'm sure have memories of another home.   Not sure where you're going with this anyhow?   

When does a child have a right to choose where they live? That is the real question. 

Timeline
7 hours ago, NikLR said:

So you are saying, someone who was brought to the USA as a child should just have to leave the only country they have ever known?  Sounds fair.... :rolleyes:

In case you forgot.

Filed: Timeline
16 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

According to how I understand it (at least for this state), the K1 (if that's what is used) is null as soon as you cross the border. The I-94 can be used to obtain a license provided it is not close to the period where it will lapse. However, only a temporary license will be issued, and expires as soon as the I-94. They will not issue based on an AOS NOA1 either, instead requiring you to wait until the EAD has arrived or the green card, whichever comes first. We went in with the EAD to get his temporary 1yr license, and upgraded with the green card. He's good to go for eight years now.

Yes, that’s what I said about the visa.  We WERE able to get her license when I showed them the NOA from the AOS process, even before we got the GC (remember that now that you jogged my memory).  But I told the lady at the DMV that she had no clue what she was doing when she refused to listen to the USCIS agent.  Very frustrating.  But overall, that was the worst part of our VJ, minus the waiting.

Edited by IDWAF