D.Ba

Border patrol checkpoint and extension letter

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Traveling within the US and running into a border patrol checkpoint (frequent in Southern Arizona), do I always have to have the ORIGINAL NOA on me, or is a copy fine? I'd rather keep the original safe, for when I really want to cross a border, and that letter is too big to have in my purse.

Anybody experience with those guys?

Edited by D.Ba

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I guess just like the GC, I would keep the original with you, but make sure you also have a few copies.  Do you really want to find out if they will or will not accept a copy if you encounter an inland checkpoint?  I know my wife was asked a few times for a copy by the airline staff when traveling, so she was happy that she had a few copies with her.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

A lot of people here will rationalize that a photocopy is fine or may even narrate anecdotal experiences.

Truth is, nowhere in offical documents/rules say that photocopies are ok.

If I were you, I would take all original documents for this time. 

If anything, you will save yourself of a pointless and time consuming argument with a border patrol agent if you have original documents.

I do have experience driving on the "10" near the border in AZ and I was actually pulled over and asked for proof of status (Glad that I had my green card with me). So, yes it seems is very common they do this.

I was recently (on Dec 2017) stopped at El Paso Texas while entering from Arizona. I only had expired green card (expired on Jan 2017) and Officer did question me but I just told them my card is in renewal process and he let me go. I should have carried the extension letter but forgot. Anyway with extension letter and expired original green card, it should be more than enough for them. 

Coming to your original post, I would always keep copy of green card, extension letter (original NOA) with me all the time. 

Edited by mycase17

Timeline

The green card, I always have the original with me.
With the letter it is more that it is so large.
I wish they would issue something smaller, more card-like, especially considering this will be our document for a year or so.

Most of the time, when we go through checkpoints, they either wave us through (AZ numberplate, European-looking...) without anything or sometimes my husband says "American citizen", and then they wave us through before I can open my mouth.

6 minutes ago, D.Ba said:

The green card, I always have the original with me.
I wish they would issue something smaller, more card-like, especially considering this will be our document for a year or so.

Most of the time, when we go through checkpoints, they either wave us through (AZ numberplate, European-looking...) without anything or sometimes my husband says "American citizen", and then they wave us through before I can open my mouth.

Yea they did ask me if I'm a US citizen but I said No. My spouse was not happy about it but I did not wanted  to lie lol. 

7 minutes ago, D.Ba said:

You can always fold the letter in half (off the the original folding) and it is not too big.

Nothing in the rules against folding it.

Edited by sddude89

Timeline
23 minutes ago, mycase17 said:

Yea they did ask me if I'm a US citizen but I said No. My spouse was not happy about it but I did not wanted  to lie lol. 

Don't even think about it! If you did and they were suspicious and found out, no one would be laughing any more.

I just think if they say "go on" after my husband replies, I don't have to yell out "stop! I want to show my greencard". And I mean, my mouth was already opening, and I probably even had the wallet in my hand.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
4 hours ago, mycase17 said:

Good, claiming to be a US citizen will get you barred from the US for life.

3 hours ago, D.Ba said:

Don't even think about it! If you did and they were suspicious and found out, no one would be laughing any more.

I just think if they say "go on" after my husband replies, I don't have to yell out "stop! I want to show my greencard". And I mean, my mouth was already opening, and I probably even had the wallet in my hand.

1 minute ago, Mollie09 said:

Good, claiming to be a US citizen will get you barred from the US for life.

Yes Agree. And in my head I was like even if they stop me over there, I can have my friend fax me extension letter and then eventually they would let me go. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I hate folding things!  Haha 

Thank you for this post because i never realized we needed to carry paperwork around with us if we are travelling within USA   great to know :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

If you have a smart phone, take a picture of all of your important documents such as extension letters, green card, passport, etc. You could lose your letter or even your green card when you are abroad but at least you have a picture you can show someone. You'll be a lot better off than having nothing to show. I also do this with my car registration and insurance. Was stopped for speeding recently and could not find the proof of insurance, but the cop was fine with me pulling it up on the smart phone.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: Other Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi, I experience that often. Coming back to miami's port from a caribbean cruise I was asked for the extension letter. I gave the officer a copy but he wanted the original. So I was brought in a different room, asked a couple of question about my status, officer ran some check and let me go strongly suggesting me to travel with the original. 2 weeks ago at Harlingen (TX) airport, so within the country, CBP officers at the security asked for my GC, I handed to them apologiziang in advance because I didn't have with me the extension letter, not even a copy. They wispered something each other, verified my wife has my same last name & again suggested to always carry the original with me when I'm travelling so close to the border.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.