bnation_86

CHILD BORN AFTER PARENT BECAME US CITIZEN

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

hello please my son was born after i became a naturalized us citizen can i apply for citizenship for my son outside the united states?

This seems to be in direct contradiction to your other topic that says the child was born before you became citizen. 

You'll have to petition him via I-130. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Other Country: Ghana
Timeline
On 11/25/2017 at 10:45 PM, kubi_gyasi said:

hello please my son was born after i became a naturalized us citizen can i apply for citizenship for my son outside the united states?

Once he was born after you became citizen,He is automatically a citizen through u.You have to do what they called "Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (CRBA)".So consult the embassy they will tell you how to apply for that.

On 11/30/2017 at 12:26 PM, Se&Se said:

Once he was born after you became citizen,He is automatically a citizen through u.You have to do what they called "Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (CRBA)".So consult the embassy they will tell you how to apply for that.

Uhm no.  Crba requires a presence test that a new USC would not pass. EDIT: MAY not pass.  Due to items introduced in this thread I have become more aware. Thank you.

If the child was born before citizenship it can never be passed.  The child must be an LPR before citizenship can be granted in that case so must be petitioned with an I-130. 

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Other Country: Ghana
Timeline
14 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Uhm no.  Crba requires a presence test that a new USC would not pass.  If the child was born before citizenship it can never be passed. 

The child must be an LPR before citizenship can be granted so must be petitioned with an I-130. 

But I think he mention that the child was born after he became a citizen,man.So even if "  Crba requires a presence test that a new USC would not pass" as u said,one 2 or 3 years later he will qualify

Edited by Se&Se

Hm, the issue re presence test is this

"The U.S. citizen parent must have been physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for five years prior to the person’s birth, at least two of which were after the age of fourteen."

This doesn't actually specify that the parent needs to have been a citizen all of that time though?? Is that elsewhere in the regulations? At face value a new citizen could have been in the US that long with a green card or other prior visa too?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/citizenship-child-born-abroad.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've seen it mentioned many times that being a PR counts towards physical presence. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

23 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

I've seen it mentioned many times that being a PR counts towards physical presence. 

So nikilr’s claim that a new USC could not meet the test is not necessarily true.

more info from OP needed clearly ...(assuming the child was indeed born after being a USC, vs prior post)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

So nikilr’s claim that a new USC could not meet the test is not necessarily true.

more info from OP needed clearly ...(assuming the child was indeed born after being a USC, vs prior post)

here's one of the many threads on here talking about it.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606318-crba-possibility-for-a-child-born-on-oath-ceremony-day/?tab=comments#comment-8268371

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

4 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

True, if the parent was was 5+ years they could potentially pass it on.  But then you file the CRBA and try.  The embassy or consulate will evaluate the claim.  We seem to have a majority here that get citizenship at 3 years.  How they would have a child outside the USA at that point is interesting but not impossible. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Other Timeline
16 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Hm, the issue re presence test is this

"The U.S. citizen parent must have been physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for five years prior to the person’s birth, at least two of which were after the age of fourteen."

This doesn't actually specify that the parent needs to have been a citizen all of that time though?? Is that elsewhere in the regulations? At face value a new citizen could have been in the US that long with a green card or other prior visa too?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/citizenship-child-born-abroad.html

12 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

From what I have read (since i asked around in other places), the 5 years period will include presence in the USA in any status (illegal, non-immigrant, student etc). So that will count towards the 5 years calculation, not just status as LPR/GC holder or status after being a citizen.

Edited by abumiqdad

8 hours ago, NikLR said:

True, if the parent was was 5+ years they could potentially pass it on.  But then you file the CRBA and try.  The embassy or consulate will evaluate the claim.  We seem to have a majority here that get citizenship at 3 years.  How they would have a child outside the USA at that point is interesting but not impossible. 

Yet, not everyone gets their green cards through spouses and in a case where an alien spouse of the new citizen gives birth abroad a 5-year green card citizenship process is clearly the way the person acquired it... (because if it’s a spousal green card / naturalization then both parents are citizens and presumably the other parent can also meet the presence requirement. Right?)

24 minutes ago, abumiqdad said:

From what I have read (since i asked around in other places), the 5 years period will include presence in the USA in any status (illegal, non-immigrant, student etc). So that will count towards the 5 years calculation, not just status as LPR/GC holder or status after being a citizen.

Yes I believe i was said above that any status including non immigrant counts (“prior visa”), surprised to hear that they accept illegal presence though.

Edited by SusieQQQ

I never assume the usc spouse i s the other biological parent.  Or that citizenship isnt derived at 3 years due to vawa. 

6 hours ago, NikLR said:

I never assume the usc spouse i s the other biological parent.  Or that citizenship isnt derived at 3 years due to vawa. 

Of course there will be exceptions, but if the above factors are anywhere near being so common that you would blanket statement "Crba requires a presence test that a new USC would not pass", then something is seriously wrong with the US spousal visa system.

Anyway OP appears to have gone AWOL so we don't know what his particular circumstance is.

Filed: Other Timeline
8 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Yet, not everyone gets their green cards through spouses and in a case where an alien spouse of the new citizen gives birth abroad a 5-year green card citizenship process is clearly the way the person acquired it... (because if it’s a spousal green card / naturalization then both parents are citizens and presumably the other parent can also meet the presence requirement. Right?)

Yes I believe i was said above that any status including non immigrant counts (“prior visa”), surprised to hear that they accept illegal presence though.

This is the link i was given as the basis of illegal time spent in the USA prior to becoming a US Citizen to be counted.

https://fam.state.gov/FAM/07FAM/07FAM1130.html#M1133_3_2

a. Current Practice

(1)  The INA does not define "physical presence," but the Department interprets it as actual bodily presence.  Any time spent in the United States or its outlying possessions, even without maintaining a U.S. residence, may be counted toward the required physical presence.

(2)  Naturalized citizens may count any time they spent in the United States or its outlying possessions both before and after being naturalized, regardless of their status.  Even citizens who, prior to lawful entry and naturalization, had spent time in the United States illegally can include that time.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.