NateAndJessica

English proficiency

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Has anyone seen issues with a beneficiary that is still working on their english proficiency, having difficulties in the interview approval process? I would like to attend in Rio with my fiancee but since my Portuguese is extremely limited Im worried my presence and the ensuing process being conducted in English would only increase her stress. Advice?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, NateAndJessica said:

Has anyone seen issues with a beneficiary that is still working on their english proficiency, having difficulties in the interview approval process? I would like to attend in Rio with my fiancee but since my Portuguese is extremely limited Im worried my presence and the ensuing process being conducted in English would only increase her stress. Advice?

Hello how are you ? So, I always see reports of interviews, and being fluent in English is not a problem, the consular agent can ask in which language you want to do the interview, usually the interviews are in Portuguese, from what I saw, it is done in English when the petitioner this present, if this is your case, I'm calm, say you want to do in Portuguese, of course, the agent can ask how you do to communicate, but really did not see great problems in these situations. :)

event.png

Her English is limited and your Portuguese is limited... how do you communicate? Some embassies allow the petitioner to attend, some expect it and some expressly forbid it. You will need to check with the embassy what the rules are in Rio. They will be able to either conduct her interview in Portuguese or supply a translator but if I were you my biggest concern would be convincing them that you communicate well. Or is there a third language you both speak that you use to communicate? 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Rafael G said:

Hello how are you ? So, I always see reports of interviews, and being fluent in English is not a problem, the consular agent can ask in which language you want to do the interview, usually the interviews are in Portuguese, from what I saw, it is done in English when the petitioner this present, if this is your case, I'm calm, say you want to do in Portuguese, of course, the agent can ask how you do to communicate, but really did not see great problems in these situations. :)

Thanks, we are well! excited for uscis approval perhaps next week!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
4 minutes ago, NateAndJessica said:

Thanks, we are well! excited for uscis approval perhaps next week!!

I'm already following your timeline, I hope to receive news soon, I do not know how K1 works, but already it's getting organized for the next step, good luck :)

event.png

Timeline
7 hours ago, JFH said:

Her English is limited and your Portuguese is limited... how do you communicate? Some embassies allow the petitioner to attend, some expect it and some expressly forbid it. You will need to check with the embassy what the rules are in Rio. They will be able to either conduct her interview in Portuguese or supply a translator but if I were you my biggest concern would be convincing them that you communicate well. Or is there a third language you both speak that you use to communicate? 

We communicate well in English with effort. Im worried the interview might go even better in her native Portuguese and am wondering if my presence at the interview is a help or a hinderance, I'm hoping someone with similar experience could guide me with advice... not sure why someone moving from england to the us is even chiming in

5 minutes ago, NateAndJessica said:

We communicate well in English with effort. Im worried the interview might go even better in her native Portuguese and am wondering if my presence at the interview is a help or a hinderance, I'm hoping someone with similar experience could guide me with advice...

Nobody here will be able to say for sure...only you know each other's competency/fluency in the languages.

5 minutes ago, NateAndJessica said:

not sure why someone moving from england to the us is even chiming in

Why not? There's no restriction limiting discussions or opinions based on country.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
Just now, geowrian said:

Nobody here will be able to say for sure...only you know each other's competency/fluency in the languages.

Why not? There's no restriction limiting discussions or opinions based on country.

great that helps me with my question...

1 minute ago, NateAndJessica said:

great that helps me with my question...

Glad to be of service. :thumbs:

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

8 minutes ago, NateAndJessica said:

We communicate well in English with effort. Im worried the interview might go even better in her native Portuguese and am wondering if my presence at the interview is a help or a hinderance, I'm hoping someone with similar experience could guide me with advice... not sure why someone moving from england to the us is even chiming in

Who said English is my first language? I lived in the U.K. as an adult and was interviewed there but I was raised in Germany. 

Please note that that it is against the TOS of this site to dictate who should or should not post. It's a public forum. My question is certainly valid, having been through the immigration process. In my interview I was specifically asked which language we communicate in and how much German my husband had learned during the course of our relationship.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

My wife's English was pretty poor, but somewhat understandable when she did her K1 interview. She is from Belarus but her interview was in Poland due to US-Belarus issues. I was not present. The interview was in Russian.She said we spoke in English, used a  dictionary a lot but she was going to go to ESL school upon arrival. She got her visa. As an aside, I really think what is most important is how you guys are viewed as a viable couple. These officers have a sense when a couple is in love and trying to make things work.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Enigma11561 said:

My wife's English was pretty poor, but somewhat understandable when she did her K1 interview. She is from Belarus but her interview was in Poland due to US-Belarus issues. I was not present. The interview was in Russian.She said we spoke in English, used a  dictionary a lot but she was going to go to ESL school upon arrival. She got her visa. As an aside, I really think what is most important is how you guys are viewed as a viable couple. These officers have a sense when a couple is in love and trying to make things work.

Thats great to hear, im sure our love will shine through and im glad to hear they didnt hold the linguistic abilities against her. Congratulations!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
9 hours ago, NateAndJessica said:

I actually worried about the same thing. My fiance is Algerian Berber. He speaks French, Berber, German and Arabic. When we met he spoke 5 words of English. His English is better now  (as is my French and German). I attended his interview in Algiers. Language never came up  (thank you Google translate, high school french and college German). 

Your being there will be beneficial.

What are the statistics? Isn't it 60% of language is non verbal?

Timeline
Just now, janet3 said:

I actually worried about the same thing. My fiance is Algerian Berber. He speaks French, Berber, German and Arabic. When we met he spoke 5 words of English. His English is better now  (as is my French and German). I attended his interview in Algiers. Language never came up  (thank you Google translate, high school french and college German). 

Your being there will be beneficial.

What are the statistics? Isn't it 60% of language is non verbal?

I've never heard that stat, but i gotta say sounds bout right! Im actually planning on going for sure, it just well I worry, its what I do lol. thanks for the encouragement : )

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.