jaehoppa

Does Obamacare penalty apply to a nonresident alien?

17 posts in this topic

Hi my wife came to the US on a visa waiver program (ESTA) and we just got married last month at court (I'm a US citizen).  We will be filing for her AOS soon but had a question about Obamacare. 

I get my insurance from my workplace but my wife is currently not enrolled yet.  

I was planning to go rest of the year without insurance and add her in January 2018.  

Would she be subjected to the 2.5% penalty for 2017 and would that be calculated based on our combined income or just her income (unemployed)?  

My adjusted gross income is around $130k and my wife is not working right now.  

My insurance premium would increase significantly if I add her but I think the penalty would be even higher.  Please let me know if I would be subjected to the 2.5% penalty.  Thanks.

Edited by jaehoppa

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country:
Timeline
4 minutes ago, jaehoppa said:

Hi my wife came to the US on a visa waiver program (ESTA) and we just got married last month at court (I'm a US citizen).  We will be filing for her AOS soon but had a question about Obamacare. 

I get my insurance from my workplace but my wife is currently not enrolled yet.  

I was planning to go rest of the year without insurance and add her in January 2018.  

Would she be subjected to the 2.5% penalty for 2017 and would that be calculated based on our combined income or just her income (unemployed)?  

My adjusted gross income is around $130k and my wife is not working right now.  

My insurance premium would increase significantly if I add her but I think the penalty would be even higher.  Please let me know if I would be subjected to the 2.5% penalty.  Thanks.

Nope. It doesn't apply until she gets her green card. When you file taxes there's an exemption 'non resident alien'

1 minute ago, Bzlibem said:

Nope. It doesn't apply until she gets her green card. When you file taxes there's an exemption 'non resident alien'

Non-resident alien for tax purposes is not the same as the immigration status. It's more complicated, although I don't have a definite answer for the OP on the penalty issue since it depends on factors such as how he will file taxes and when she came here etc.

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, Bzlibem said:

1 minute ago, Suss&Camm said:

Non-resident alien for tax purposes is not the same as the immigration status. It's more complicated, although I don't have a definite answer for the OP on the penalty issue since it depends on factors such as how he will file taxes and when she came here etc.

I was also going to about filling out W-4.  In question number 3, there are check boxes for marital status but says below "If married, but legally separated, or spouse is a nonresident alien, check the “Single” box."  

Do I check the "single" box in this case?  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Actually they're not enforcing it since Trump took office

Here's some info from turbotax

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3667663-irs-not-enforcing-obamacare-penalty-anymore

CR-1 Visa

Service Center: Nebraska    Consulate: Mexico

Marriage: 12/9/2016    I-130 Sent: 12/10/2016    I-130 NOA1: 12/13/2016

Notice from USCIS: 8/23/2017

USCIS Approval Date: 8/21/2017

NOA2 issued date: 8/18/2017   NOA2 hardcopy received: 8/25/2017

Notice from USCIS Sent to NVC: 9/1/2017    NVC received: 9/8/2017

Received case and invoice numbers: 9/12/2017

Choice of Agent DS-261: 9/12/2017

Welcome Letter: 9/15/2017

Received and Paid AOS: 9/15/2017    AOS payment cleared my bank: 9/19/2017 (still shows In Process on CEAC)

Received and paid IV bill: 9/19/2017    IV bill cleared bank: 9/21/2017

Requested Expedite: 9/20/2017

AOS and IV show as paid: 9/23/2017

DS260 unlocked: 9/23/2017

Partial Expedite Approved at Counselor Level: 9/25/2017 (Must still wait out NVC)

Scan Date: 10/2/2017    Case Complete: 11/15/2017 (6 weeks 2 days!)

Case sent to consulate: 11/20/2017     Received by consulate: 11/21/2017 (11/20 was a holiday in Mexico)

Interview Scheduled: Jan 2nd - I managed to get someones canceled appointment the very same day my case status turned to Ready.

Biometrics: Mexico City Dec 27th Medical: Mexico City Dec 28th

Case says READY but consulate says case is not in system, I jumped the gun and booked an interview but they say its invalid until I receive the letter so I might have to cancel it.

Appointment Letter: Flew to Juarez just to get this, its actually 2 letters you need.

Interview Day: Jan 2nd   Interview Result: APPROVED

Tracking Number Received: Via email notice and website the afternoon of Jan 4th    Visa Delivered: Friday Jan 5th Mexico City

USCIS Notice - Green Card mailed: 3/28/18

Filed: Country:
Timeline

look up the substantial presence test from the irs to see if she is a resident for tax purposes. if she is then she needs insurance or else you have a fee to pay.

on a side not why would you jot insure her. she is your wife and accidents happen all the time that can cause expensive hospital bills. especially when you make enough that they would go after you for it.

you are married you can not file as single you are either married filing jointly or married filing seperately.

Timeline
52 minutes ago, Suss&Camm said:

I didn't know that but I filled taxes with that exemption last year and everything was fine :) 

Filed: Country:
Timeline
7 minutes ago, abumiqdad said:

so prior to getting a GC, someone is considered a NON RESIDENT ALIEN? But if you have a GC and filed it like that, you would have abandoned your LPR status. Did i get that correct?

a person on a h1b visa is a non resident alien to uscis but if they meet the substantial presence test for the irs they are considered a resident alien för tax purposes.

from the irs

You will be considered a United States resident for tax purposes if you meet the substantial presence test for the calendar year. To meet this test, you must be physically present in the United States (U.S.) on at least:

1. 31 days during the current year, and
  2. 183 days during the 3-year period that includes the current year and the 2 years immediately before that, counting:
    • All the days you were present in the current year, and
    • 1/3 of the days you were present in the first year before the current year, and
    • 1/6 of the days you were present in the second year before the current year.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/substantial-presence-test

the irs and uscis use the same terms to mean different things.

using this I was able to claim a step child on my taxes as a dependent even though they did not have a greencard yet.

Timeline

UPDATE: so I didn't remember correctly the basis of my exemption. I checked and the one that I had was :

Exemptions based on legal status

You're exempt from the requirement if you are not "lawfully present" in the United States or if you are incarcerated. U.S. tax laws apply to everyone who earns income in the United States, regardless of whether they're here legally. Illegal or undocumented immigrants are required to file tax returns if their income is high enough, but they are exempt from the coverage requirement. They are also barred from obtaining health insurance through the online insurance marketplaces set up under the Affordable Care Act.

People who are incarcerated -- in jail or prison -- are exempt. This applies whether you have been convicted and are serving a sentence or are being held awaiting trial.'

that's from INTUIT page. https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Health-Care/Are-You-Exempt-From-Health-Care-Coverage-/INF27678.html

Even though I-485 pending gives an immigrant some kind of 'protective status' I guess that for IRS it's still considered undocumented 

Timeline
17 minutes ago, jaehoppa said:

so on W-4 item #3, should I check single since she is a nonresident alien?

I don't have an answer to your question :( we did taxes while I-485 was pending. I remember that I had to file for ITIN number alongside the tax return (at the IRS office) and I had to attach a statement that I'm electing to be treated as a resident alien for tax purposes. We had to do that all because I wasn't eligible for SSN and I couldn't file taxes unless I get either or numbers. 

We did our taxes through Turbotax but because of ITIN application we didn't file online - we filed at IRS office 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
15 minutes ago, jaehoppa said:

Does anyone know if she would even be eligible to be added to my Cigna insurance plan because she doesn't have legal status here yet and doesn't have SSN??  

Probably not, but I don't think anyone here works for Cigna, you can try contacting them and asking.

CR-1 Visa

Service Center: Nebraska    Consulate: Mexico

Marriage: 12/9/2016    I-130 Sent: 12/10/2016    I-130 NOA1: 12/13/2016

Notice from USCIS: 8/23/2017

USCIS Approval Date: 8/21/2017

NOA2 issued date: 8/18/2017   NOA2 hardcopy received: 8/25/2017

Notice from USCIS Sent to NVC: 9/1/2017    NVC received: 9/8/2017

Received case and invoice numbers: 9/12/2017

Choice of Agent DS-261: 9/12/2017

Welcome Letter: 9/15/2017

Received and Paid AOS: 9/15/2017    AOS payment cleared my bank: 9/19/2017 (still shows In Process on CEAC)

Received and paid IV bill: 9/19/2017    IV bill cleared bank: 9/21/2017

Requested Expedite: 9/20/2017

AOS and IV show as paid: 9/23/2017

DS260 unlocked: 9/23/2017

Partial Expedite Approved at Counselor Level: 9/25/2017 (Must still wait out NVC)

Scan Date: 10/2/2017    Case Complete: 11/15/2017 (6 weeks 2 days!)

Case sent to consulate: 11/20/2017     Received by consulate: 11/21/2017 (11/20 was a holiday in Mexico)

Interview Scheduled: Jan 2nd - I managed to get someones canceled appointment the very same day my case status turned to Ready.

Biometrics: Mexico City Dec 27th Medical: Mexico City Dec 28th

Case says READY but consulate says case is not in system, I jumped the gun and booked an interview but they say its invalid until I receive the letter so I might have to cancel it.

Appointment Letter: Flew to Juarez just to get this, its actually 2 letters you need.

Interview Day: Jan 2nd   Interview Result: APPROVED

Tracking Number Received: Via email notice and website the afternoon of Jan 4th    Visa Delivered: Friday Jan 5th Mexico City

USCIS Notice - Green Card mailed: 3/28/18

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.