Ula Svensson

Thai bride sin sod amounts

81 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline
On 7/29/2017 at 9:53 AM, Boiler said:

It is extremely unlikely she would be able to get a Tourist Visa, plan accordingly.

Don't be so sure! My now-wife was a dialysis nurse in Thailand earning a decent sum. Seeing as OP's girlfriend is also a nurse, I could very well see her being approved for a tourist visa.

:ot2: Back to the topic at hand...

I myself have struggled mightily with the concept of sin sod. Honestly, I wish it didn't exist. But I married a Thai girl and everything that comes with that. Now, bear in mind that my wife is a very modern woman with a good sense of how things are done here in the US. She requested a $10K (฿330K) sin sod which I felt was fairly reasonable given her age (30+) and the fact that she's university-educated. I still have a hard time with the idea of handing over even what some might consider a "small" sin sod to her family. She lost her dad over 16 years ago in a motorcycle accident, one of her sisters also lost her husband, and the other sister has a do-nothing husband with a bad amphetamine addiction which has landed him in jail previously so I feel that the money will be put to good use and help them with the loss of income as a result of absentee men.

Edited by narakthisud

K1 visa journey: 107 days from NOA1 to visa in hand

Spoiler

01 Oct 2016    Mailed I-129F packet (27 pages)
12 Oct 2016    NOA1 SMS and e-mail
03 Nov 2016    NOA2 SMS

24 Jan 2017    Interview
27 Jan 2017    Visa in hand
09 Feb 2017    POE Philadelphia, PA

AOS journey: 256 days from NOA1 to GC in hand

Spoiler

06 Apr 2017    Mailed I-485/I-131/I-765 packet (83 pages)

12 Apr 2017    I-485/I-131/I-765 packet delivered

26 May 2017    Biometrics appointment

25 Aug 2017    EAD/AP card approved

07 Dec 2017    AOS interview

18 Dec 2017    Conditional (2 year) GC in hand!

ROC journey: 374 days

Spoiler

09 Sep 2019    Mailed ROC packet via USPS Priority Mail (ETA 11 Sep)

20 Sep 2019    NOA1/18-month extension letter received

23 Jan 2020    Biometrics appointment

17 Sep 2020    Case approved without interview

Citizenship journey

09 Sep 2020      Submitted N-400 online

10 Dec 2020      Received biometrics reuse notice

20 Apr 2021      Received interview notice

25 May 2021      Interview - RFE for marital evidence

26 May 2021      RFE response submitted online

Cumulative number of pages sent to USCIS: 632

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

By now it should be a known fact rather than speculation.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline
48 minutes ago, Boiler said:

By now it should be a known fact rather than speculation.

Are you referring to the granting of tourist visas or sin sod?

40 minutes ago, calyorker said:

narakthisud, thats what im talking about brother! thnx!

Anytime! Happy to help out a fellow farang/falang. I'm blessed to have a wife who "gets" how things are done here in the US.

K1 visa journey: 107 days from NOA1 to visa in hand

Spoiler

01 Oct 2016    Mailed I-129F packet (27 pages)
12 Oct 2016    NOA1 SMS and e-mail
03 Nov 2016    NOA2 SMS

24 Jan 2017    Interview
27 Jan 2017    Visa in hand
09 Feb 2017    POE Philadelphia, PA

AOS journey: 256 days from NOA1 to GC in hand

Spoiler

06 Apr 2017    Mailed I-485/I-131/I-765 packet (83 pages)

12 Apr 2017    I-485/I-131/I-765 packet delivered

26 May 2017    Biometrics appointment

25 Aug 2017    EAD/AP card approved

07 Dec 2017    AOS interview

18 Dec 2017    Conditional (2 year) GC in hand!

ROC journey: 374 days

Spoiler

09 Sep 2019    Mailed ROC packet via USPS Priority Mail (ETA 11 Sep)

20 Sep 2019    NOA1/18-month extension letter received

23 Jan 2020    Biometrics appointment

17 Sep 2020    Case approved without interview

Citizenship journey

09 Sep 2020      Submitted N-400 online

10 Dec 2020      Received biometrics reuse notice

20 Apr 2021      Received interview notice

25 May 2021      Interview - RFE for marital evidence

26 May 2021      RFE response submitted online

Cumulative number of pages sent to USCIS: 632

Filed: Other Country: Sweden
Timeline

Uhhnmmm...

I'm afraid to announce that she has mite or less given up and shut down... she seems to have substantial depression and schizophrenia, her family is killing her and she had convinced herself ours impossible to leave them...

My western mind just cannot shake that allot of it is bcuz I can't or won't pay the one million bhat sin sod and says her parents don't approve of us, partially because I have a but of a criminal record even though I explained that has no play in this... she changed dramatically and doesn't text me anymore although we still check on reach other at our private chat app... doesn't look good guys.. and I'm sad but the more I think about sin sod, the less I'd be willing to pay, especially when she simply doesn't do anything you make me feel anything (was going to say deserve it) don't know what to do now! I still care for her and want  to prove outs still possible

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

An anguishing situation for you, certainly.

You don't want a schizophrenic or depressed girlfriend or wife.  Not there, and not locally.

Take what you see now and multiply it exponentially after she or someone else like that comes here (consequent to homesickness, etc.).

Difficult though it might be, avoid putting pressure on her or yourself.  See how things evolve.  Whatever is meant to result will happen.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Time to move on, sounds like you just missed a really bad situation.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

thanks everyone and yes i will stay positive and hopeful, ofcourse... i never quit and i knew from the get go it would always be an uphill battle and im battle ready hehe... at least she admits these things and although i get jealous and yearning for her touch when i see her put up a post on her facebook page she looks so happy and sex (in a nerdy way, which i love about her hehe) she says that its a fake smile to stay positive for her family... shes so strong and yes i might have dodged a bad situation but i think if she could break free she would find a free life here.. should i give up on her when shes in need? when her heart is in such pain? when she is resounded in failure and sadness? i will have to wait and see and i let her know she can always find me here for her... 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Way to much sinsod and being over 30 is one of the reasons why.

simple question you need to ask yourself:  What would an average Thai lad pay? I can guaranteed you it's not remotely anywhere near the 10k mark.

ROC Timeline

Service Center: Vermont

90 Day Window Opened....08/08/17

I-751 Packet Sent..............08/14/17

NO1 Dated.........................

NO1 Received....................

Check Cashed....................

Biometrics Received..........

Biometrics Appointment.....

Approved...........................

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I-130 NOA1: 22 Dec 2014
I-130 NOA2: 25 Jan 2015
NVC Received: 06 Feb 2015
Pay AOS Bill: 07 Mar 2015
Pay IV Bill : 20 Mar 2015
Send IV/AOS Package: 23 Mar 2015
Submit DS-261: 26 Mar 2015
Case Completed at NVC: 24 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Approved: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Received: 03 Oct 2015 

Timeline

Cyclone27 you're the best! hehe  and I've known this from the start.... I don't mean to make light of this, for everyone following this but I'm trying to cheer us all up, just as I do for her...  so now it's a waiting game... maybe in a few years her parents will accept these couple rolls of quarters I have a finally stop suffocating her.. yes, culture, tradition, etc etc etc... stop already..

Edited by calyorker

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 7:31 PM, KULtoATL said:

No that I know about Thai sinsod concept but I looked it up online and it's supposed to be a marriage dowry. I'm curious, unless you're engaged to be married, why would the talks of sinsod come up so soon?? Is that normal in Thai culture @Ning? Just want to learn about it and I mean no offence.

I am very late in this response but it may still help others. No offense taken. This is a very subjective subject where the farang typically wants badly to believe they have it all figured out. They don't. 

The O P said she didn't bring it up I think. That means the parents did. That's very Thai & I am sure the whole family was or is talking about the subject of sin sod. A cash cow has arrived or will one day because as we see here the O P hasn't even met her yet. That being the case the family is just fishing & using money as bait. It is sadly normal in Thailand due to lack of understanding about farangs; especially Americans. The fact that this subject is here again should indicate that people need to be very careful as they enter into these things. 

Its a terrible way to start an relationship but I have seen this many times. There is a lot to understand & do in this case I am afraid. The statement that she is a slave ect & cant stand to leave her family is troubling when she then says she will never return to see them if she gets away. Few Thais will turn their back on the family. Pay huge sin sod to a family that she describes? 

Of course I hope it all works out but there is a lot of work & time to put into this & sin sod shouldn't be part of it until way down the road. 

Timeline

NING... everyone listen up here! we love this girl and shes the real deal, Ning is the best and always correct... yes 99% of us farangs do not grasp the entirety of the situation but some of us (yes me) have done countless hours of research ..I subscribe and watch numerous youtube chanels of farangs living in Thailand and the US and although they seem to honestly lay things out for us properly, yes I still do take things with a grain of salt and average the information in with caution and an open mind, ofcourse...    and Ning my dear, yes I will remain loving, supportive, always present and with a very open minded! Thank you, everyone as always! Cheers!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
13 minutes ago, calyorker said:

NING... everyone listen up here! we love this girl and shes the real deal, Ning is the best and always correct... yes 99% of us farangs do not grasp the entirety of the situation but some of us (yes me) have done countless hours of research ..I subscribe and watch numerous youtube chanels of farangs living in Thailand and the US and although they seem to honestly lay things out for us properly, yes I still do take things with a grain of salt and average the information in with caution and an open mind, ofcourse...    and Ning my dear, yes I will remain loving, supportive, always present and with a very open minded! Thank you, everyone as always! Cheers!

With your attitude I think in time you will succeed. If not with this girl for some reason then by then you will have learned a lot about all of this Thai cultural stuff. That being the case there are a lot of ladies in Thailand that would love to find a quality person to become part of their lives. Ask your lady to read Thailand Fever & formulate some questions for you. You do the same. Get away from money entirely. As her what she knows about America & American people. Find out what she sees in her future. 

We are here to help & there are many qualified advisers here on V J. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.