52 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 hours ago, lucybelle said:

I was just thinking about this! I was thinking "we will be all done in a few months"

Then I remembered- passport, social security, DMV.

I still believe we can be fine by the end of the year. And then... TEQUILA!

Tequila!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

OMG. i never did any of these,  (except register to vote bc volunteers were there) 

I didnt go to ssa or dmv ( i already have my DL and doesnt expire until 2019). I've been naturalized since 2015! I haven't gotten a passport either since its too expensive and i dont think ill need it any time soon.

Are those mandatory?

AOS from h2a visa, marriage based.

Filed I 130, I 485, I 131 and I 765 concurrently,

5/11/2018 Priority date; sent to Missouri, MSCxxxxxxxxx

6/15/2018 Biometrics appointment, Houston TX

7/11/2018 RFE for Birth Certificate

7/23/2018 Sent BC in response to RFE

7/31/2018 Confirmation of receipt of the BC

8/3/2018 received courtesy letter for medical 

8/6/2018 Case is ready to be scheduled for interview

9/19/2018 EAD/AP approved

9/20/2018 EAD/AP card in production 

9/24/2018 EAD/AP card is ready to be mailed

9/25/2018 EAD/AP card is mailed, usps tracking included in online update

9/27/2018 EAD/AP card picked up at post office

I-130 for 2 husband's daughters (my step daughters) 10 and 17

5/11/2018 Priority Date; sent to Nebraska Service Center, LINxxxxxxxxx

Waiting game for ALL cases!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
13 minutes ago, CookieCat said:

Passport is not mandatory but naturalized U.S. citizens like to have it because: 

1) most naturalized citizens travel to their country of birth for visits and/or business and therefore are required to have a U.S. passport in order to be able to return to the U.S. 

2) passport books and passport cards are much more compact to be shown as ID than the naturalization certificate

3) if a naturalization certificate is all you have as proof of citizenship and you lose it, you have to pay $555 to replace it. It costs much less to replace a stolen passport!

As for updating social security, I don't know if it's mandatory but it's in your interest to do it for employment reasons. You don't want confusions with the employer not knowing where you stand on employment authorization.

As for the DMV, it's not mandatory to update citizenship status until when my current DL expires in my state but I don't know about yours. 

What are instances that i would need to prove my citizenship? My naturalization certificate is hidden in my closet with my SS card. All i really have is my DL. 

But if it is something i need to do, of course i will. I just really assumed that after the oath, SSA and DMV should automatically be informed by USCIS? wishful thinking?

AOS from h2a visa, marriage based.

Filed I 130, I 485, I 131 and I 765 concurrently,

5/11/2018 Priority date; sent to Missouri, MSCxxxxxxxxx

6/15/2018 Biometrics appointment, Houston TX

7/11/2018 RFE for Birth Certificate

7/23/2018 Sent BC in response to RFE

7/31/2018 Confirmation of receipt of the BC

8/3/2018 received courtesy letter for medical 

8/6/2018 Case is ready to be scheduled for interview

9/19/2018 EAD/AP approved

9/20/2018 EAD/AP card in production 

9/24/2018 EAD/AP card is ready to be mailed

9/25/2018 EAD/AP card is mailed, usps tracking included in online update

9/27/2018 EAD/AP card picked up at post office

I-130 for 2 husband's daughters (my step daughters) 10 and 17

5/11/2018 Priority Date; sent to Nebraska Service Center, LINxxxxxxxxx

Waiting game for ALL cases!

13 hours ago, Going through said:

Thanks for explaining that!  I know many countries allow auto-dual, but I didn't know that for the countries that don't allow this at least have an option available for someone to apply to have their citizenship recognized as dual---that's a good thing.

I feel for those people who have another set of forms/processes in their home countries after obtain USC.

What's amusing to me, is that in Canada they won't legally recognize that I would have become a USC at all.  Going through the process to have my US-born daughter receive her proof of Canadian citizenship, I was told by two separate officials that the word "dual" really means nothing in Canada.  According to them, we're both "just Canadians".  Reassuring, in a way.  At the same time a bit globally conceited lol

Actually, that's basically the same as in the US. If you are a US citizen, that's all they care about. So:

10 hours ago, Going through said:

Once a person becomes dual...how is that handled when border crossing?  You know when the officer asks "how long have you been in____? What was the purpose of your visit?" questions.

I mean for those who plan on now spending months at a time outside of the US...let's say 6 months or more but maintaining residence in the US still...I've always wondered how those questions are answered.  

Crossing back into America with a Canadian passport I'm always asked "what's the purpose of your visit to the US" to which I answer "I live here, and then produce my greencard".  (And then the opposite questions when crossing into Canada from the US of how long I've been in the States)

But without a GC once becoming a USC, and a holder of both passports with the ability to reside in both countries and no travel limit...what am I supposed to say then?  That I live in both countries, and show both passports?

Usually, I've noticed (with my husband who is a dual citizen) that they ask "so where is home, for you?" as the first question, most of the time. Once you answer that, they ask the appropriate followup. 

Once you have both passports, you use the Canadian passport to cross into Canada, and the US passport to cross into the US. If you're going anywhere else, use whichever one you want. (Unless you're going to Cuba, in which case, use Canada.)

By the way, if you are spending more time in Canada (like 6mo or more), why wouldn't you be a Canadian resident, who has a part time home in the US - I mean, the healthcare alone...!

Is your timeline updated?

Oath Ceremony Dec 14th, 2018 I am finally a citizen and done with USCIS for good!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa:                            

Marriage: 2013-08-05                                   I-130 Sent: 2013-10-07                                                 I-130 NOA1: 2013-10-09                               

I-130 transferred to VSC: 2014-03-12        I-130 NOA2: 2014-03-24                                              NVC Received: 2014-04-07 

Case Number and IIN: 2014-05-05             Sent ENROLL email for EP: 2014-05-06                    Gave email addresses to NVC: 2014-05-08             

DS261 submitted: 2014-05-09                    AOS invoiced and paid: 2014-05-12                           DS261 re-submitted - GRRRR! 2014-05-21               

ENROLL conf. email: 2014-06-05               Submitted AOS documents:2014-06-08                    IV fee email received: 2014-06-23 

IV fee available and paid: 2014-06-24       DS260  submitted: 2014-06-26                                   Case Complete: 2014-07-31                                       

Interview: 2014-09-19 APPROVED!!!          Visa in Hand: 2014-09-24 (Loomis depot)                POE (Pac Hwy Crossing, BC) 2014-11-08 

SSN Card arrived (approx) 2014-11-26     Green Card arrived (approx) 2014-12-17 

Removal of Conditions - I-751:

I-751 Mailed (USPS) Aug 10, 2016             NOA: August 17, 2016 (received Aug 23)                  Biometrics Letter Sent: Sept 23, 2016

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: Sept 30, 2016     Walk-In Biometrics Oct 6, 2016                                    Infopass for I-551 stamp Aug 17, 2017   

Service Request: Dec 27, 2017                   SR Response: Jan 10, 2018 (no prediction)              Senator Inquiry: Jan 5, 2018

Senator Resp: Jan 8, 2018 (60 days)         Service Request 2: Mar 8 2018                                   Senator Inquiry 2: Mar 9 2018

SR 2 Response: Mar 12 (security checks) Senator Response 2: Mar 13, 2018                            Approval (via phone!): Mar 14, 2018

New Green Card Arrived: Mar 22, 2018

Naturalization - N-400: 

Submitted N-400 Online: Feb 4, 2018       Denied for Payment Failure: Feb 8, 2018                     Resubmitted N-400 Online Feb 8, 2018

NOA: Feb 8, 2018                                          Biometrics: Feb 26, 2018                                                Interview: Nov 2,2018 (approved)

Oath: Dec 14, 2018

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline
14 hours ago, Going through said:

What's amusing to me, is that in Canada they won't legally recognize that I would have become a USC at all.  Going through the process to have my US-born daughter receive her proof of Canadian citizenship, I was told by two separate officials that the word "dual" really means nothing in Canada.  According to them, we're both "just Canadians".  Reassuring, in a way.  At the same time a bit globally conceited lol

Indeed, while in Canada being a Canadian means just that.  Any benefits of having US Citizenship need not apply.

11 hours ago, Going through said:

Once a person becomes dual...how is that handled when border crossing?  You know when the officer asks "how long have you been in____? What was the purpose of your visit?" questions.

I mean for those who plan on now spending months at a time outside of the US...let's say 6 months or more but maintaining residence in the US still...I've always wondered how those questions are answered.  

Crossing back into America with a Canadian passport I'm always asked "what's the purpose of your visit to the US" to which I answer "I live here, and then produce my greencard".  (And then the opposite questions when crossing into Canada from the US of how long I've been in the States)

But without a GC once becoming a USC, and a holder of both passports with the ability to reside in both countries and no travel limit...what am I supposed to say then?  That I live in both countries, and show both passports?

When crossing borders into the USA you show your US passport.  When going into Canada your Canadian passport.  Then you just answer the questions honestly.  Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
6 hours ago, nightingalejules said:

Actually, that's basically the same as in the US. If you are a US citizen, that's all they care about. So:

Usually, I've noticed (with my husband who is a dual citizen) that they ask "so where is home, for you?" as the first question, most of the time. Once you answer that, they ask the appropriate followup. 

Once you have both passports, you use the Canadian passport to cross into Canada, and the US passport to cross into the US. If you're going anywhere else, use whichever one you want. (Unless you're going to Cuba, in which case, use Canada.)

By the way, if you are spending more time in Canada (like 6mo or more), why wouldn't you be a Canadian resident, who has a part time home in the US - I mean, the healthcare alone...!

Most likely it will be an even split between both countries, maintaining residences and paying taxes in both.  Get the best out of both healthcare systems too.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Is not such a hard process to be quite honest, compare to what we had to do in the past...this is a walk in park

I became US citizen may 2016 and by june I was ready with vote registration, SSN and with passport in hand. My country allows dual citizenship so nothing to do there.

I'm not a frequent traveler so the TSA thing is not something I feel like doing it.

My only advice is not only try to register to vote somewhere else because the people waiting outside the oath ceremony are not the most reliable one. I thought I was registered to vote only to found out I couldn't vote on November because I was actually not registered.

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

3 hours ago, vjstk said:

If you change your name as a part of your naturalization process, be ready for 2-3x amount of paper work. I still haven't  figured out all the pieces. Car, Mortgage, Employer etc.

Yikes!! That'd be me. :o

N-400

Eligible: 12/03/2016

Day 00    12/12     Mailed application

Day 01    12/13     Application received

Day 03    12/15     Credit card charged

Day 08    12/20     Text/Email Acceptance

Day 15     12/27     NOA in the mail. Priority date: December 13

Day 16     12/28    Biometrics Scheduled Notification

Day 22     01/03    Biometrics Notice Received

Day 30     01/11    Biometrics Appointment

Day 179  06/09     In line for interview

Day 184  06/14     Received e-mail notification interview has been scheduled

Day 187  06/17     Interview letter received ( July 19)

Day 192  06/22     Interview date changed to June 23 upon request

Day 193  06/23     Interviewed at San Antonio field office; APPROVED!! 

Day 197  06/27    Email notification. Oath letter has been mailed.

Day 200  06/30    Oath letter received. Scheduled for July 27th

Day 227  07/27        I'm a US CITIZEN 

Day 232  08/01    Updated Drivers license security with new name and Citizenship ( TX DL with new name received 08/11)

Day 232  08/01   Updated Social security with new name and Citizenship (Social security card received 08/07)

Day 232  08/01   PASSPORT (Routine PP received 08/12)

18 hours ago, CookieCat said:

That's how it is for WI, I don't know about Virginia...Here's the link for your state: http://www.elections.virginia.gov/registration/how-to-register/index.html#Second

I didn't know that your citizenship had to be updated first with DMV before registering to vote... I always thought updated address and valid driver's license was all that was needed to register to vote. Sounds like you couldn't have registered right after oath either way then?

What's vegetarian fair lol

No it doesn't have to be updated first, but I guess that just was the way the officer told me? Because in my state when you apply for a driver's license there is a box asking if you are a US citizen and a box asking if you want to register to vote, so maybe that was the more straightforward way to tell someone, rather than tell them that they need to download a form from the internet, or go to some other location...I guess everyone can remember the DMV. I'll probably grab a form after the oath and then either do that or do it online.

Lol like there are always people registering voters at various city festivals, including the vegetarian festival. But I don't know what that means, maybe that means they help you fill out the form and they mail it? I have no idea.

I'm trying to figure out if you can apply for your first US passport at an overseas consulate. You know, in case you have to travel out of the US in an emergency without having obtained one. But it seems it might be better to do whatever is necessary to obtain that first. ;)

Random rabbit trail, here's a question and answer from a DOS site:

"It states on my U.S. birth certificate that is it illegal to make a copy. What should I do?

If you choose not to submit a photocopy, you may submit a second certified copy of your birth certificate. We will keep this second certified copy for our records."

I love how they slightly sidestep the question.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline
17 hours ago, JoannaV said:

I'm trying to figure out if you can apply for your first US passport at an overseas consulate. You know, in case you have to travel out of the US in an emergency without having obtained one. But it seems it might be better to do whatever is necessary to obtain that first. ;)

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/citizenship-and-dual-nationality/dual-nationality.html

Towards the bottom: " Most U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States.", so you have to use the US passport to leave United States as well. We should also note it says "most" not "all", which indicates there are exceptions to this rule. I am not sure emergency travel is covered under these exceptions, but I can't imagine consulate would give a US citizen hard time if they had to travel for instance to attend a funeral of a loved one.

5 hours ago, charmander said:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/citizenship-and-dual-nationality/dual-nationality.html

Towards the bottom: " Most U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States.", so you have to use the US passport to leave United States as well. We should also note it says "most" not "all", which indicates there are exceptions to this rule. I am not sure emergency travel is covered under these exceptions, but I can't imagine consulate would give a US citizen hard time if they had to travel for instance to attend a funeral of a loved one.

That was always my impression, but all this talk focused on the need to get back into the US made me wonder if the leaving of the US wasn't as big a deal as I thought... Thank you for reaffirming that requirement.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Country:
Timeline
On 7/18/2017 at 10:11 PM, blue_angel_29 said:

What are instances that i would need to prove my citizenship? My naturalization certificate is hidden in my closet with my SS card. All i really have is my DL. 

But if it is something i need to do, of course i will. I just really assumed that after the oath, SSA and DMV should automatically be informed by USCIS? wishful thinking?

Not mandatory but since I was used to carry my GC with me, I got the passport card to have with me. Honestly I think I'll never need it unless I do travel by land or sea. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.