Mzlin35

K1 visa- Nigerian fiance

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello!

I am a U.S. citizen and my fiance is in Nigeria. We will meet for the first time in September and be spending 10 days together. I was hoping to start the k1 visa process on my return to the states, but I'm worried that it may get rejected; one because he is Nigerian, and we all know that having a Nigerian fiance or spouse is some kind of red flag due to scams. My other concern is that the consulate will question our relationship because we have only met one time and we've only been together for a 6 months. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Timeline
15 minutes ago, IfoemaUS said:

I can only speak for my experience. I had the same exact situation. We met online and after over 6 months of long distance I visited Nigeria (the 7th month after meeting)...and met him in person for the first time. I also stayed 10 days and began the k1 process upon my return. He is now here in the U.S. with me and is my husband. Currently work permit and green card is pending. 

That's my personal experience. I was also advised to visit more than once but as a single parent at the time I just couldn't afford to. There was definitely a lot of praying and trusting God. 

Take lots of pics on different days and places of you 2 together and with family while there.  My husband said that his interview was very smooth and quick with just a few questions but there were others that he witnessed get rejected (though they may not have been k1s). 

I also advise that you are extremely detailed with sending a complete packet once you apply for the K-1. Send chats, pics, as much proof as possible...even you interactions on social media. Make sure your fiance knows things like birthdays, prior marriage info (if applicable). If he has traveled before make sure all of that info is clean as well.

Most of all....go on your trip and ENJOY the experience of meeting your fiance and planning your life together. This process is already stressful enough so enjoy the meaningful times. 

Best wishes!

Thank you so much! I have been so stressed about how to handle this. I too am a single parent, who cannot afford to make too many trips over there. So the sooner I can get him here with me the better. 

You put an immediate smile on my face. You give me hope. 😊

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I remember the feelings...I pray everything works out in your favor!

:D

K-1 PROCESS 

02/27/2016- Mailed in K-1 petition to Dallas lockbox

02/29/2016- NOA1 Received by USCIS

03/02/2016- NOA1 hard copy received
06/02/2016- Text notification of RFE

06/10/2016- RFE hard copy recv'd and response sent

06/14/2016- RFE response recv'd by USCIS

06/23/2016- Text notification of NOA2 Approval

06/27/2016- Hard copy NOA2 recv'd

07/21/2016- Case Creation Date at Nigerian Consulate

07/22/2016- Called NVC and given case number!

07/27/2016- Case updated to "Ready" status!

07/29/2016- Interview scheduled online! (Set for 8/18/16)

08/11/2016- Medical

08/18/2016- INTERVIEW DATE- APPROVED!!!

09/16/2016- POE: Chicago

11/05/2016- Became Mr. & Mrs,! 

AOS PROCESS 

03/02/2017- Mailed I-485 paperwork (I-765/ I-131 included)

03/14/2017- Check cleared!

03/15/2017-USCIS Acceptance Confirmation emails received.

03/20/2017- Received all 3 hard copies of NOA1 in mail.

03/23/2017- USCIS website indicated RFIE sent for I-485 by mail 03/21/2017

03/xx/2017-Biometrics letter received (can't recall exact date but week of 3/27)

04/10/2017-Notice recv'd that RFIE was returned to USCIS; sent inquiry to re-send to same address

04/13/2017- Biometrics done

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline
22 hours ago, Mzlin35 said:

Thank you so much! I have been so stressed about how to handle this. I too am a single parent, who cannot afford to make too many trips over there. So the sooner I can get him here with me the better. 

You put an immediate smile on my face. You give me hope. 😊

I did my K-1 and I visited for 2 weeks, I am going back just prior to the interview to be there with him. Please, please please make a clean Petition. Label everything, I inlcuded a table of contents page and tabbed everything, 

A. Petition

B. Identification and Birth Certificate

C. Passport, Boarding Passes, Luggage Tags

D. Hotel Reciepts

E. Photos

F. Calls and Chat Logs

etc.  

Keep it organized and go over it once, twice and three times. While you over there have him sign the intent to marry as well. Lots of pics, different days, different locations. 

Most of all, just have fun !!!!

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Maria1989 said:

I did my K-1 and I visited for 2 weeks, I am going back just prior to the interview to be there with him. Please, please please make a clean Petition. Label everything, I inlcuded a table of contents page and tabbed everything, 

A. Petition

D. Hotel Reciepts

E. Photos

F. Calls and Chat Logs

etc.  

Keep it organized and go over it once, twice and three times. While you over there have him sign the intent to marry as well. Lots of pics, different days, different locations. 

Ok thank you!! And good luck to you guys 😊

• 3 months later...
Timeline
On 7/12/2017 at 3:13 PM, IfoemaUS said:

I can only speak for my experience. I had the same exact situation. We met online and after over 6 months of long distance I visited Nigeria (the 7th month after meeting)...and met him in person for the first time. I also stayed 10 days and began the k1 process upon my return. He is now here in the U.S. with me and is my husband. Currently work permit and green card is pending. 

That's my personal experience. I was also advised to visit more than once but as a single parent at the time I just couldn't afford to. There was definitely a lot of praying and trusting God. 

Take lots of pics on different days and places of you 2 together and with family while there.  My husband said that his interview was very smooth and quick with just a few questions but there were others that he witnessed get rejected (though they may not have been k1s). 

I also advise that you are extremely detailed with sending a complete packet once you apply for the K-1. Send chats, pics, as much proof as possible...even you interactions on social media. Make sure your fiance knows things like birthdays, prior marriage info (if applicable). If he has traveled before make sure all of that info is clean as well.

Most of all....go on your trip and ENJOY the experience of meeting your fiance and planning your life together. This process is already stressful enough so enjoy the meaningful times. 

Best wishes!

I have been in my feelings for a few days about whether I should apply for my visa now or get in one more trip. Then I was reminded that I had made this post, so I came back to read the responses. Reading your response has calmed my nerves once again! 😍

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I’m in a similar boat! I met my now fiancé when I was in Ghana in March.  I went back in August for 10 days and we got engaged and filed in September.  I just feel like since it takes almost a year from start to end, why not get the ball rolling?  We traveled and visited his family, so we have a variety of photos, so I hope that helps. 

I’ll also be visiting over Christmas, so by the time he goes for his interview, at least we’ll have one more meeting. I hear so many discouraging things about Ghana/Nigeria and the high denial rate, but it is what it is.  Gotta have hope! If you look around the site you can see a few success stories as well.  I hope the process goes smoothly and quickly for you!

NOA1: 9/8/2017

NOA2: 3/14/2018

NVC Case # Available: 3/26/2018

Case left NVC: 4/3/2018

Packet 3 Rec'd: 6/11/2018 

Interview: 6/26/2018 Approved! :thumbs:

POE: 7/13/2018

Marriage: 8/25/2018 

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 10/3/18

Biometrics: 10/30/18

Timeline
18 hours ago, AbenaKofi said:

I’m in a similar boat! I met my now fiancé when I was in Ghana in March.  I went back in August for 10 days and we got engaged and filed in September.  I just feel like since it takes almost a year from start to end, why not get the ball rolling?  We traveled and visited his family, so we have a variety of photos, so I hope that helps. 

I’ll also be visiting over Christmas, so by the time he goes for his interview, at least we’ll have one more meeting. I hear so many discouraging things about Ghana/Nigeria and the high denial rate, but it is what it is.  Gotta have hope! If you look around the site you can see a few success stories as well.  I hope the process goes smoothly and quickly for you!

Thank you for the encouragement! I'm going to send it off and pray for the best. I feel like we have a good chance of getting approved and if we don't, then I'll go to plan B lol. Good luck to you guys!!! 

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline
On 7/13/2017 at 7:00 PM, Maria1989 said:

A. Petition

D. Hotel Reciepts

E. Photos

F. Calls and Chat Logs

etc.  

Pls I would like to know if it's appropriate to include photos where I and my fiancee kissed. Thank you.

Timeline
24 minutes ago, Myzzz said:

Pls I would like to know if it's appropriate to include photos where I and my fiancee kissed.

And how many pictures can we send?

Will 35 - 50 be enough?

I included them. I sent about 35 pictures 

Timeline
8 hours ago, Maria1989 said:

I included them. I sent about 35 pictures 

Thanks Maria, I will also like to know how did you arrange your chats, call logs and pictures? Did you arrange them on Microsoft word? 

What's the easiest way to go about having like 4 screenshots on one page when printing

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Myzzz said:

Thanks Maria, I will also like to know how did you arrange your chats, call logs and pictures? Did you arrange them on Microsoft word? 

What's the easiest way to go about having like 4 screenshots on one page when printing

What's App allows you to export them, try that. Submit any new pictures you may have and if you have any chat or call logs submit that, read over before you submit of course and there is no need to submit everything just enough to show an ongoing relationship. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.