Pearlz555

Failed second interview for US Citizenship.

52 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Well she is Medicare age and a lot of this is State dependent as far as subsidies  are concerned and I did not think any of them took I 864 into account. Perhaps SC is the exception.

For Medicaid some Stats such as California allow LPR's to sign up as soon as they arrive, Colorado you need to be a LPR for 5 years, this seems to be more common.

Medicare for Seniors is an earned benefit for most, once you hit 65 you can buy in if you do not have enough quarters. US or LPR did not think it made any difference to the price.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, Boiler said:

Well she is Medicare age and a lot of this is State dependent as far as subsidies  are concerned and I did not think any of them took I 864 into account. Perhaps SC is the exception.

For Medicaid some Stats such as California allow LPR's to sign up as soon as they arrive, Colorado you need to be a LPR for 5 years, this seems to be more common.

Medicare for Seniors is an earned benefit for most, once you hit 65 you can buy in if you do not have enough quarters. US or LPR did not think it made any difference to the price.

I just check AARP and this is what I found. Unless you know some other cuts ?  And in SC we tried Medicaid and Medicare all of them say that I am responsible for all her medical expenses  until she become a citizen. Even though, I believe, I signed the paper that says I sponsor her for 10 years only.

Can You Buy Into Social Security?

Generally the only route to benefits is 10 years of work

by Stan Hinden, AARP Bulletin, June 7, 2012|Comments: 0

Q. My 55-year-old son-in-law hasn't worked long enough to qualify for Social Security. He has a 401(k) plan and says he's been advised to turn it into cash when he retires and use the money to buy into Social Security. Is that really possible?

A. Sorry to say, but the advice is wrong: You cannot "buy into" Social Security. To be eligible for retirement benefits, you need 40 Social Security credits, which you earn by working at a job covered by the system or having net income from self-employment. In 2012, you receive one credit for each $1,130 of earnings, up to a maximum of four credits per year. Thus it generally takes 10 years of work to earn the necessary 40 credits.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
4 hours ago, Pearlz555 said:

We went to apply for state insurance and were denied because i sponsored her. I was told, until she becomes a citizen, I will have to pay all her medical expenses.

You have been given bad information.  Your mother can buy into Medicare Part A and B, as long as she is 65 years old, a green card holder and established residency for 5 years in the US (not leaving more than six months a year).  The cost for Medicare A and B to buy is about $575 a month, much cheaper than what you are paying.  Part A covers hospitals, Part B covers seeing a doctor.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, ChristianZane said:

You have been given bad information.  Your mother can buy into Medicare Part A and B, as long as she is 65 years old, a green card holder and established residency for 5 years in the US (not leaving more than six months a year).  The cost for Medicare A and B to buy is about $575 a month, much cheaper than what you are paying.  Part A covers hospitals, Part B covers seeing a doctor.

That, Social Security is a different thing.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
4 minutes ago, ChristianZane said:

Also that is not true people in CA can automatically buy into Medicare, you can't, you have to have 5 years of residency on a Green Card, if it were true everyone would immigrate to California first.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, ChristianZane said:

Also that is not true people in CA can automatically buy into Medicare, you can't, you have to have 5 years of residency on a Green Card, if it were true everyone would immigrate to California first.

CA gives out Medicaid to new immigrants assuming they qualify with no waiting period. Not sure what the deal is with Medicare.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

CA gives out Medicaid to new immigrants assuming they qualify with no waiting period. Not sure what the deal is with Medicare.

The waiting period is five years, you can't get Medicaid before that.  the only exceptions are refugees, asylees, or LPRs who used to be refugees or asylees.

Timeline
57 minutes ago, ChristianZane said:

The waiting period is five years, you can't get Medicaid before that.  the only exceptions are refugees, asylees, or LPRs who used to be refugees or asylees.

CA and New York are different, I assume it has no Federal funding which is limited to 5 years.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
8 hours ago, Pearlz555 said:

She is disability person since Ukraine, but have no disability status in US. To get all medical papers for disability in US its thousands of dollars from my pocket that I don't have. She needs medical insurance here, since she is not getting any younger. And the only way to get insurance it's become US citizen.  

Not true. My husband just became a citizen a few months ago and he never had a problem getting health insurance as a perm resident.

Timeline
1 hour ago, mimolicious said:

Not true. My husband just became a citizen a few months ago and he never had a problem getting health insurance as a perm resident.

It's called Inbound Immigrant Insurance, Google it.

Edited by ChristianZane

Timeline
3 hours ago, Boiler said:

CA and New York are different, I assume it has no Federal funding which is limited to 5 years.

Unfortunately California nor New York offers Medicaid to new immigrants for five years unless those exemptions I mentioned are met, it is the responsibility of the petitioner to take financial responsibility of the applicant so that they do not become a public charge, ie Medicaid.

Timeline

:huh:

For lawful permanent residents who are seeking health insurance coverage through Covered California or Medi-Cal, there is no "waiting period" or "five-year bar."

http://www.coveredca.com/individuals-and-families/getting-covered/immigrants/

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Boiler said:

:huh:

For lawful permanent residents who are seeking health insurance coverage through Covered California or Medi-Cal, there is no "waiting period" or "five-year bar."

http://www.coveredca.com/individuals-and-families/getting-covered/immigrants/

No one is saying your can't buy insurance in the open market, anyone can go to Covered California who is a resident of CA and purchase health insurance, this discussion is about green card holders older than 65 who are not citizens and who have not worked here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A noncontributory post and a reply to it have been removed.  Stick to the OP's chief topic, please.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.