Penguin_ie

Trump's future immigration policies- speculation MEGATHREAD

1,208 posts in this topic

Again;

• No longer offer green card preference to the extended family or adult children of immigrants already living legally in the U.S. 
    Spouses, children under 18 and sick parents would still be given preference.

So here you go. Spouses and children under 18 are safe, Sick parents will be allowed to be petitioned for. Brother and sisters are a different story.

Edited by Dutchster

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

I think merit-based immigration system for workers is a good system, just like Canada, Japan and Australia.

Canada requires you to speak either English or French to be eligible for a work/study-visa. Australia requires you to speak English to be eligible for a work/study-visa also. The RAISE Act will replace the current permanent employment-visa system with a skills-based points system, just like the systems used by Canada and Australia.

Visa Class: IR-1.

Embassy: U.S embassy in Amman, Jordan.

Married: May 28, 2015.

Interview Date: Aug 17, 2017.

Interview Result: Approved.

VISA Received: Aug 21, 2017.

U.S Entry & Passport Stamp: Aug 25, 2017.

Permanent (Green) Card was produced: Oct 9, 2017.

Permanent (Green) Card was mailed to me: Oct 11, 2017.

Received My Social Security Card: Oct 29, 2017.

First Job in America: Dec 21, 2017.

Received Plastic Green Card in the mail (Permanent Resident Card): Mar 16, 2018.

N-400 Applied: May 28, 2020.

N-400 NOA: June 1, 2020.

Bio: June 19, 2021.

Interview: July 23, 2021.

Ceremony: Aug 13, 2021.

I'm finally a U.S Citizen now

Independence Day Usa GIF by CBS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
9 minutes ago, abe&kari said:

no it doesn't hit all family based visas. the bill is clear it literally says "maintains immigration preferences for the spouses and minor children of U.S. residents". spousal visas and minor children visas aren't included in this bill.

this link is for a section by section summary https://www.perdue.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/170802_New_RAISE_Act_Section_by_Section.pdf

and here's another link to read the full text of the legislation https://www.perdue.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/170802_New_RAISE_Act_Bill_Text1.pdf

Can anyone clarify on section 6 in the article? Please

My Time line is Updated! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline
Just now, Karlam said:

What does "caretaking purposes" mean? So you would not be be able to sponsor a parent for a green card?

No. You can bring them in on a non-immigrant residential visa, which would let them live here but no employment rights, no path to citizenship. Sponsor also has to provide support and health care, no access to public benefits. Basically it sounds no different than a tourist visa except they wouldn't have to leave US every 3/6 months.

Filed: Timeline
5 minutes ago, abe&kari said:

I think merit-based immigration system for workers is a good system, just like Canada, Japan and Australia.

Canada requires you to speak either English or French to be eligible for a work/study-visa. Australia requires you to speak English to be eligible for a work/study-visa also. The RAISE Act will replace the current permanent employment-visa system with a skills-based points system, just like the systems used by Canada and Australia.

Is there any more information about this point  based part of the bill? How will that work? Does the point based only affect priority when it come to getting an actual green card, not getting one do the various visas? 

Filed: Timeline
2 minutes ago, charmander said:

No. You can bring them in on a non-immigrant residential visa, which would let them live here but no employment rights, no path to citizenship. Sponsor also has to provide support and health care, no access to public benefits. Basically it sounds no different than a tourist visa except they wouldn't have to leave US every 3/6 months.

And any parent would be eligible whether they are fit or healthy or not? How long would the visa you mention allow them to live in the USA?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline
Just now, Karlam said:

And any parent would be eligible whether they are fit or healthy or not? How long would the visa you mention allow them to live in the USA?

God knows. some people are petitioning for their 85 year old parents that need care, some petition for their 45 year old parent that are still healthy, eligible to work and such.

I don't know for sure but I think they can stay as long as they want. Again I am not sure if there will be any continuous residency requirements like in GC.

Looks as if the biggest impact will be from worker and sibling category. From what I have been reading they want to curb "chain migration".

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
32 minutes ago, abe&kari said:

America doesn't have an official language like Canada and Australia does, which would be another issue if Trump were to try to pass this new legislation.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

People need to read. Just because a President wants some immigration changes -not mentioned K-1, and keeps saying skilled workers-, doesn't mean it'll go in effect tomorrow morning 8:00. 

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.