MXcompadre

Form DS-5535 'SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS FOR VISA APPLICANTS'

3,894 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mali
Timeline
6 minutes ago, E&R said:

Just one country 

Lucky you. Enjoy your loved one. I can only take solace that my hubby's concerts are on utube. Including FIFA wordl cup in Johannesburg. S.A 2010, years before me married Alas to US beaming they were preempted to extra set of Alicia Keys. Still, utube has their vids.  Our marriage pretty much destoryed my husband's career with a major world band. He had another. Maybe not so famous outside of Africa, but well known in Europe. Just like everything else, we will overcome (100K+/annum couple being treated like trash).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline
10 hours ago, 99balloons said:

Hi Renee, how long are you in the process in Dakar? We've been there since Nov 2015 when he interviewed last (minus the NOIR detour when I decided that 8 months of AP was not reasonable).  It is a very busy embassy (6 countries).  Is your spouse from Senegal or Mali or another country? Mine (a Malian) has a perfectly good embassy 30 minutes from his house (Bamako, Mali) but they can't process spouse visas (but they did all of his O visas for band before me met). So it's 2 days by bumpy road to travel to Dakar to be emailed a form. Yup, included that travel in his DS-5535. But our case is "unique", lol.  Meaning everything is needed in triplicate. After 3.5 years, the answers are still the same :) and I am really trying to keep my sanity.  I met a young man in Amsterdam earlier this year when my husband was on tour. Same scenario. Friend from Mali married to an American spouse, stuck in the Dakar embassy forever. I wish they had more staff.  They really need it, due to the number of countries, IMHO. Good luck to you. Hopefully you'll clear faster than my all over the world hubb.

Our timeline is similar. The first interview was Nov 2015 it was denied due to lack of marriage evidence. My husband is from Gambia. I have a feeling they going to move slowly with this AP especially with the addition of this form. 

Do you know of anyone who's experienced a 2nd interview in Dakar? I couldn't find many posts. Only those who got approved first go round.

Edited by Renee14

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sierra Leone
Timeline
19 hours ago, 99balloons said:

My spouse interviewed (2nd time) August 23rd, 2017, after over 3 years (including NOIR reaffirmed in 18 days by USCIS). This interview went much better, 221g noted missing 2016 tax returns (was included in NOIR packet) and request for updated AOS form.  Again, was not mentioned in checklist as to what to bring...

Received form DS-5535 (word version) by email 2 weeks later. Was told by CO he'd be receiving it.  It took us some 20 hours to complete, including my husband (native French speaker) having to have this form translated in his country to French. He is a professional musician who travels worldwide, so trying to document dozens of countries and tour dates over the years in Europe, Asia, Africa, North America and Australia was a major challenge. (Had to translate English countries to French countries) and us review the form back and forth by email. Many additional pages had to be included... In addition to all the "fun countries" he traveled to some "raise an eyebrow ones" like Israel, Mauritania, Algeria. Yup, even there there are festivals and band tours are booked and the band goes and plays. His country (Mali) had a terrorist invasion back in 2013. Even in Dec 2015 when I had to go to Mali to obtain documents to overturn 221g, there was a terrorist attack where he lives and STEP told us Bamako embassy was evacuating non-essential personnel. It was not a fun time to travel for me. But we did overcome.

We volunteered his foreign passport pages if anyone is really interested to see his stamps and visas for this new DS-5535 obstacle. Our own personal travel together is more tame, Morocco and Mali before and after we married, and Europe after, including Azores Islands. 8 countries in 4 years. 

Not sure how much longer will this form delay us. Case shows AP last updated 9-15-2017 and he received a confirmation that his form was received. As the comment period on the form was extended in the U.S., I emailed some suggestions to at least expand the form for those who travel internationally on business and to provide a section for who assisted in production of this form for non-native English speakers with extensive travel.  For demographic purposes: our visa is IR-1 (now CR-1). It's now almost 3.5 years since we married and 6 years since we first met in the United States where he was playing a concert. We or opposite races, opposite religions and I am a US citizen. We are well above poverty level. He's been to U.S. numerous times on tours before we married, since we married, he is no longer welcome.

Is anyone tracking the DS-5535? It may be interesting to see which embassies issue it and based on responses (i.e. number of countries and religious demographics) how long will it take? I have a feeling this form is here to stay and will be administered in all the difficult embassies. At this point not sure if this will get cleared by our birthdays (late October & November respectively) but hope springs eternal.  Dakar is not really my choice of a vacation spot (been there) but if we don't hear anything by late October, I guess that will be our next vacation destination. It's been a very frustrating journey.  The original error on his visa application was by the recording companies and we had to spend our own time, money and lives to correct it. Sad. And now this ::(

My fiancé is from Sierra Leone, West Africa and his religion is Christian. Only traveled to Ghana, Nigeria, and South Africa. I don't know how these forms are being handed out or who fits the qualifications of why they receive them, but it's quite embarrassing when they state when you look up "what is ds-5535" that the people who receive them pose a suspicion to the consular 

Timeline
On 9/22/2017 at 3:40 PM, Tarsha said:

My fiancé is from Sierra Leone, West Africa and his religion is Christian. Only traveled to Ghana, Nigeria, and South Africa. I don't know how these forms are being handed out or who fits the qualifications of why they receive them, but it's quite embarrassing when they state when you look up "what is ds-5535" that the people who receive them pose a suspicion to the consular 

It appears we have 3/3 spouses or fiances in Dakar (Mali, Gambia, Sierra Leone) being handed DS-5535.  Anyone else?  I think this embassy will hand them out to everyone applying.  My spouse has been to US over a dozen in/outs on music tours. Vetted every time. Now extra scrutiny. Over 60 countries on band tours.  I wonder how that will play out. And how long will it take. My spouse is Muslim, I am not. It was not required as condition of our marriage. Perhaps more pious muslim countries will have a problem with a muslim marrying me or a muslim who travels the world to play African blues. It is their problem. Anyways ladies hoping your loved ones are cleared quickly as is mine...

Timeline
On 9/22/2017 at 7:25 AM, Renee14 said:

Our timeline is similar. The first interview was Nov 2015 it was denied due to lack of marriage evidence. My husband is from Gambia. I have a feeling they going to move slowly with this AP especially with the addition of this form. 

Do you know of anyone who's experienced a 2nd interview in Dakar? I couldn't find many posts. Only those who got approved first go round.

My was 2nd. They told him that 2016 tax return was missing and they needed new AOS; We have them. Then came this form  Our DKR number ends with 9015. I suspect you are a few numbers ahead of ours. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline
6 hours ago, 99balloons said:

My was 2nd. They told him that 2016 tax return was missing and they needed new AOS; We have them. Then came this form  Our DKR number ends with 9015. I suspect you are a few numbers ahead of ours. 

We brought the tax returns and AOS to 2nd interview. I had emailed them to say it's not on the list so they said to bring it. Either way, I had a feeling they weren't going to easily approve the visa right after the 2nd interview. I think if you don't get approved at the first interview without scurtiny they give you hard time. 

I may reach out to them next week for an update since our interview was same day as someone else in this feed and they've been approved already.

Timeline

Hey Renee, when I asked the same question (as petitioner wife) the embassy told me they needed 221g to correspond with me because they only speak to the petitioner and the beneficiary. Story of our lives with that embassy :huh:  We're in wait and see mode.If nothing happens in October I'll fly to Dakar in November  so at least hubby and I can spend two weeks together. We'll drop off the "missing documents" that still show that we still make 6 figures annually and are self supporting since they don't want an email from me or my husband.  And that he still tours internationally with bands (as he has since we had President Bush and with his numerous US in/outs there was never a single overstay and never a DS5535 risk apparently).  I am beyond frustrated.  We can go to any country in Europe, if he needs a vacation visa, we get it.  But to come back home here to Chicago burbs, oh no, we just need forms, forms and more forms. Even USCIS officer I spoke to last summer in person was as frustrated as I am.  Whatever Dakar is not liking about our marriage they are not interested in speaking to us.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Hello everyone. I just reached the 60 day period and still haven't seen any update on my fiances case. Has anyone else experienced this. The last update on the case was august 30th and his interview was on July 23rd. I hope I and the rest of us who are waiting hear something soon. 

Timeline
6 hours ago, 99balloons said:

Hey Renee, when I asked the same question (as petitioner wife) the embassy told me they needed 221g to correspond with me because they only speak to the petitioner and the beneficiary. Story of our lives with that embassy :huh:  We're in wait and see mode.If nothing happens in October I'll fly to Dakar in November  so at least hubby and I can spend two weeks together. We'll drop off the "missing documents" that still show that we still make 6 figures annually and are self supporting since they don't want an email from me or my husband.  And that he still tours internationally with bands (as he has since we had President Bush and with his numerous US in/outs there was never a single overstay and never a DS5535 risk apparently).  I am beyond frustrated.  We can go to any country in Europe, if he needs a vacation visa, we get it.  But to come back home here to Chicago burbs, oh no, we just need forms, forms and more forms. Even USCIS officer I spoke to last summer in person was as frustrated as I am.  Whatever Dakar is not liking about our marriage they are not interested in speaking to us.

Hopefully this form goes away. It expires November 29th and hopefully if they decide to keep it, it'll be apart of the original documentation submitted and not after an interview. US citizens do have until October 2nd to respond on a forum to the Department of State about this form if anyone is interested. Hopefully soon, everyone is approved 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
3 hours ago, Zara90 said:

Hello everyone. I just reached the 60 day period and still haven't seen any update on my fiances case. Has anyone else experienced this. The last update on the case was august 30th and his interview was on July 23rd. I hope I and the rest of us who are waiting hear something soon. 

My wifes was on july 24th as well but still nothing even tho we have a daughter... has there been any date updates??

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
9 hours ago, rafiq akhtar said:

My wifes was on july 24th as well but still nothing even tho we have a daughter... has there been any date updates??

Hi rafiq have your wife traveled outside pakistan?

Timeline

Hello everyone! I was doing some reading and I read that this form if given a denial could be appealed on the basis that it aligns with the travel ban which was overturned. Even though, I have yet to see a denial and prays no one receives one, this is good information to know. I feel this may be the reason a lot of the countries that are not listed on the said "travel ban" is receiving these forms so it looks as if it is not directed towards the opposed travel ban 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Afghanistan
Timeline
21 hours ago, rafiq akhtar said:

The last update on his case was on august 30th and there were few updates before that too 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
On 9/25/2017 at 6:00 AM, Tarsha said:

Hopefully this form goes away. It expires November 29th and hopefully if they decide to keep it, it'll be apart of the original documentation submitted and not after an interview. US citizens do have until October 2nd to respond on a forum to the Department of State about this form if anyone is interested. Hopefully soon, everyone is approved 

Hello do you have the link to the forum? I want to write my review. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.