Boiler

Australian woman, 26, who flew to Hawaii for romantic holiday with her American boyfriend ends up in JAIL on her birthday after immigration staff go through her diary

62 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, MollyHill said:

I have thought about all aspects of the situation every day for the past 5 months and suffered from insomnia as a result so I don’t need your extra input. 

Yes, everyone is familiar with Border Security... at least they act professionally on camera. 

Despite thinking about this for 5 months, you still don't seem to want to accept that there is another side to the story.  You don't have a right to enter the United States, just like I don't have a right to enter Australia.  If U.S. CBP deemed you to be inadmissible, it had to have been for a good reason.  They are tasked with enforcing our immigration laws based on the evidence in front of them at the time.  That is their job and they are good at it.  We aren't talking about the much maligned TSA.  It is easy for you to accuse them of being unprofessional when they can't come on here and give their side of the story. 

Do you have any evidence to back up your claim of unprofessional behavior?

Edited by jayjayj

Click Spoiler for signature timeline.

3/10/2013 - Married

Green Card Process Summary
3/25/2013 - Submitted I-130's
01/13/2014 - Embassy Interview - Approved!
05/28/2014 - POE (U.S. Customs and Immigration Overseas Preclearance Facility - Abu Dhabi)
08/20/2014 - Green Card received.

Naturalization Process

01/20/2015 - Submitted N-400 for immediate naturalization under INA 319b.

02/10/2015 - Check cashed.

02/14/2015 - NOA

04/07/2015 - Case shipped to local field office.

04/08/2015 - Interview scheduled for July 6, 2015.

04/08/2015 - Wifey better be studying her butt off for the citizenship test!

07/08/2015 - Wifey was studying her butt off and passed the test easily. Oath ceremony completed on same day! We are done with our journey!

@MollyHill please let this rest and don't get into discussions further as you don't need to re-live your ordeal.

have had a terrible ordeal and lost lifetime savings, changed life plans and a thriving business as a result of my b1/b2 being cancelled at one point.  I married a US citizen (never intended to AOS and left after wedding in US) - yes would keep visiting US to see hubby and Business meetings.  My travel history was good enough to show them I was traveling for no more than 8 to 9 days at a time every 6 weeks even though it was such a long haul flight.  The likes of me can't think I Aos as we need to keep traveling.  We were going to file CR1 if required as at that point we were not sure who was moving and both still assessing our businesses.

Without going into details of how - The nightmare, the depression, messed up a lot and even though after 10 months they approved a new B1/B2 and I have now just moved to the US on CR1.  I am still reeling from the aftermath.  But I do see it as part of trying to keep out those who circumvent immigration laws.

Some 'innocent' are always affected in the process of keeping a country safe and making sure immigration rules followed.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, jayjayj said:

Despite thinking about this for 5 months, you still don't seem to want to accept that there is another side to the story.  You don't have a right to enter the United States, just like I don't have a right to enter Australia.  If U.S. CBP deemed you to be inadmissible, it had to have been for a good reason.  They are tasked with enforcing our immigration laws based on the evidence in front of them at the time.  That is their job and they are good at it.  We aren't talking about the much maligned TSA.  It is easy for you to accuse them of being unprofessional when they can't come on here and give their side of the story. 

Do you have any evidence to back up your claim of unprofessional behavior?

This is not a forum for CBP to tell their side of the story, they have their own press and media management tools.  I have had my own series of nightmares with these folks and I don't doubt her experience.  Attacking her veracity does not help the discussion.  We should be free to tell our story here without being called a liar with no proof.

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

14 minutes ago, Il Mango Dulce said:

This is not a forum for CBP to tell their side of the story, they have their own press and media management tools.  I have had my own series of nightmares with these folks and I don't doubt her experience.  Attacking her veracity does not help the discussion.  We should be free to tell our story here without being called a liar with no proof.

I never called her a liar.  She is making accusations and slandering CBP officers without any proof to back up her stories.  I never said this was a forum for CBP to tell their side of the story.  In fact, I stated exactly the opposite.  I have a right to my own opinion of the matter without you twisting my posts.  Your opinion and experiences aren't the only ones that are valid.  You have a right to your opinions, but you don't have a right to attack me for mine.  So stop!

3/10/2013 - Married

05/28/2014 - POE (U.S. Customs and Immigration Overseas Preclearance Facility - Abu Dhabi)

Naturalization Process

02/14/2015 - NOA

07/08/2015 - Wifey was studying her butt off and passed the test easily. Oath ceremony completed on same day! We are done with our journey!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
25 minutes ago, jayjayj said:

I never called her a liar.  She is making accusations and slandering CBP officers without any proof to back up her stories.  I never said this was a forum for CBP to tell their side of the story.  In fact, I stated exactly the opposite.  I have a right to my own opinion of the matter without you twisting my posts.  Your opinion and experiences aren't the only ones that are valid.  You have a right to your opinions, but you don't have a right to attack me for mine.  So stop!

You are entitled to do so, and suggesting you can not is a breach of the VJ ToS, my Bible.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

Not sure what happened.  It must be racist some kind of way 

Trump?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4 hours ago, Il Mango Dulce said:

Agreed 100%. Any one on this forum who hasn't had any experience with this side of USCIS, good for them. I don't require any proof. I've seen it myself enough times. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

8 hours ago, Auds said:

@MollyHill please let this rest and don't get into discussions further as you don't need to re-live your ordeal.

have had a terrible ordeal and lost lifetime savings, changed life plans and a thriving business as a result of my b1/b2 being cancelled at one point.  I married a US citizen (never intended to AOS and left after wedding in US) - yes would keep visiting US to see hubby and Business meetings.  My travel history was good enough to show them I was traveling for no more than 8 to 9 days at a time every 6 weeks even though it was such a long haul flight.  The likes of me can't think I Aos as we need to keep traveling.  We were going to file CR1 if required as at that point we were not sure who was moving and both still assessing our businesses.

Without going into details of how - The nightmare, the depression, messed up a lot and even though after 10 months they approved a new B1/B2 and I have now just moved to the US on CR1.  I am still reeling from the aftermath.  But I do see it as part of trying to keep out those who circumvent immigration laws.

Some 'innocent' are always affected in the process of keeping a country safe and making sure immigration rules followed.

You're right @Auds, no point going over it anymore, I have thought of everrryyyy single angle of that day over and over, it's exhausting. 

You story sounds even more heart breaking! I'm sorry.. to them it's a job, but to us (who are obviously not a risk to homeland security, c'mon) it can really #### up lives and mental health. 

I've had to deal with much worse trolls, better not to feed them.

I'm sure with time I will become less angry and hopefully able to come to terms with the experience as you have :) 

6 hours ago, MollyHill said:

You're right @Auds, no point going over it anymore, I have thought of everrryyyy single angle of that day over and over, it's exhausting. 

You story sounds even more heart breaking! I'm sorry.. to them it's a job, but to us (who are obviously not a risk to homeland security, c'mon) it can really #### up lives and mental health. 

I've had to deal with much worse trolls, better not to feed them.

I'm sure with time I will become less angry and hopefully able to come to terms with the experience as you have :) 

Pointing out that there is an entirely different perspective and side to this story is not trolling - it is debate.  This is what we do in this section of Visa Journey.  You don't get to shutdown the opinions of others, simply because you don't agree with them.

Here are some points for you to consider -

1.  CBP already put out a statement regarding this case - “U.S. Customs and Border Protection acted with respect, integrity, professionalism and according to current federal law when Molly Joan Hill, an Australian citizen, presented herself for CBP inspection at Honolulu International Airport May 15," said a statement from CBP to BuzzFeed News.  Hill applied for admission as a visitor for pleasure (which means that she is only eligible to stay in the United States for a brief period of time) under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).  However, upon inspection, CBP officers found that Hill presented conflicting information and was determined to be inadmissible under the VWP. She was advised that she is no longer eligible for admission under the VWP and must obtain a valid, unexpired visa prior to subsequent entries to the U.S."

They found you inadmissible based on the evidence in front of them on that day.  I understand you don't like the results, but that doesn't invalidate their decision.

2.  You stated that CBP told you, "I was on the wrong visa, and that I could try again on the B1/B2 Visa - which is also a 'tourist/visitor' visa, so I'm not sure why they suggested that if they didn't believe I was a tourist. It was extremely confusing..."

CBP didn't suggest to you that you could try again on a B1/B2 Visa, they told you that you are now ineligible for the Visa Waiver Program and you would need to obtain a B1/B2 visa to enter the U.S. in the future for tourism purposes.  This is a example of how you misinterpreted some of the events that day.  They told you this because applying for a B1/B2 visa would get you in front of a U.S consulate officer in your home country.  You would need to provide the CO with evidence that you have true intentions of not remaining in the U.S. after your tourist trip.  The CO would have more information and more time to determine if you should be allowed entry.  They could still find you inadmissible, again.  The CBP officers told you this, because it is part of their job to give you this information - they are required by policy to inform you.

3.  You stated that CBP officers "were practically giving each other hi-5's for "getting me" or meeting their quota." 

First of all, it is highly doubtful that individual CBP officers take joy in denying people entry.  Secondly, what is "practically giving hi-5's"?  They have a critical job to do.  They see thousands of faces every day, with minutes to determine if any red flags are popping up, while also ensuring they properly process people through their lines.  Now, what they might take joy in, is doing their job correctly and stopping people from abusing the VWP.  You may disagree based on your personal experience, but it still isn't true.  You even contradict yourself by posting "to them it's a job", admitting that you do ultimately understand the point.  Finally, there are no quotas in regards to denying people entry under the VWP.  That is simply false information and needs to be corrected, so other people coming to VJ for immigration assistance don't start thinking it is the truth.

4.  You stated "The (sic) didn't seem well-travelled; it is very common for Australians to quit their jobs to travel - we love it! And it is not that difficult to find Marketing jobs in Melbourne."

I'm assuming you meant "they", meaning the CBP officers.  This is just conjecture and a veiled insult on your part.  These type of comments, and you appear to make many of them, don't help your argument.  It doesn't matter what is common or uncommon in Australia - you were attempting to enter the United States.  CBP officers come face-to-face with people from all over the world, not just Australia.  They aren't required and have no way of knowing insignificant details about social constructs from every country on the planet.  

5.  You make claims over and over again, including on here and to the press, that people said this or that to you, that people "lied", and that they all had bad intentions or were condescending and/or unprofessional towards you.  You've also claimed multiple times that you were somehow mistreated by CBP officers and ICE Detention Center officers.  

I read many articles about your story and in each one you made multiple unverifiable claims to "quotes" from CBP officers and ICE Detention Center officers.  There seems to be a pattern emerging here.  I would also contend to you that your experience felt the way it did to you, because you were hugely disappointed, emotional (you said yourself you were crying), and obviously bitter about everything - understandable, as you were anticipating a fun-filled experience in Hawaii and you were looking forward to spending time with your boyfriend Ross.  You were literally minutes away from starting that adventure when it was abruptly pulled away from you by authority figures.  Those authority figures are required to do their job professionally and respectfully.  You aren't entitled to special treatment and they aren't required to be "nice" or "kind" to you.  They are required to do their job, which is protecting our country and enforcing our immigration laws, regardless of how you feel about it now or how you felt about it during the event.  You simply have no entitlement to differing treatment, nothing more than any other individual in your situation, and there are many people in the world who would love to have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to eat.

6.  You stated "but to us (who are obviously not a risk to homeland security, c'mon)". 

Who is "us" and at what point did CBP tell you that you were a risk to homeland security?  They found you inadmissible under the VWP, because the evidence they had in front of them that day pointed toward someone attempting to misuse the purpose of that program.  They took you to a ICE detention facility, because they had nowhere else to hold you until your flight home.  This is standard operating procedure, not only in the U.S., but also in Australia.  They cannot allow inadmissible individuals to walk freely around the airport.  Again, this is all standard operating procedure.  I understand you don't like it, but the rules are in place for a reason.

7.  It doesn't matter that you consider Honolulu to be a "holiday destination".  It is a U.S. Point of Entry and once through immigration, you could travel freely to any other point within the United States.

8.  I'm happy for you that you live in the "most liveable" city in the world and have "free health care".  I'm also happy for you that your boyfriend Ross was able to move to Australia to be with you.     

My advice to you, and it probably isn't worth much, is to move on.  Get on with your life.  I understand you felt traumatized by this event.  Everyday, there are hundreds of people denied entry under the VWP.  I'm sure many of them feel the same way as you - disbelief, frustration, sadness, fear, bitterness, an entire range of valid emotions.  I'm not dismissing your emotions or feelings.  If you were my daughter, I would be giving you the exact same advice.  Such is life.  Drop the sense of entitlement.  Learn from the experience, but don't let it define you.  Events like this can scar you, but scars can make you stronger.

Good luck in the future!  

Edited by jayjayj

3/10/2013 - Married

Naturalization Process

02/14/2015 - NOA

5 minutes ago, jayjayj said:

Pointing out that there is an entirely different perspective and side to this story is not trolling - it is debate.  This is what we do in this section of Visa Journey.  You don't get to shutdown the opinions of others, simply because you don't agree with them.

Here are some points for you to consider -

1.  CBP already put out a statement regarding this case - “U.S. Customs and Border Protection acted with respect, integrity, professionalism and according to current federal law when Molly Joan Hill, an Australian citizen, presented herself for CBP inspection at Honolulu International Airport May 15," said a statement from CBP to BuzzFeed News.  Hill applied for admission as a visitor for pleasure (which means that she is only eligible to stay in the United States for a brief period of time) under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).  However, upon inspection, CBP officers found that Hill presented conflicting information and was determined to be inadmissible under the VWP. She was advised that she is no longer eligible for admission under the VWP and must obtain a valid, unexpired visa prior to subsequent entries to the U.S."

They found you inadmissible based on the evidence in front of them on that day.  I understand you don't like the results, but that doesn't invalidate their decision.

2.  You stated that CBP told you, "I was on the wrong visa, and that I could try again on the B1/B2 Visa - which is also a 'tourist/visitor' visa, so I'm not sure why they suggested that if they didn't believe I was a tourist. It was extremely confusing..."

CBP didn't suggest to you that you could try again on a B1/B2 Visa, they told you that you are now ineligible for the Visa Waiver Program and you would need to obtain a B1/B2 visa to enter the U.S. in the future for tourism purposes.  They told you this because applying for a B1/B2 visa would get you in front of a U.S consulate officer in your home country.  You would need to provide the CO with evidence that you have true intentions of not remaining in the U.S. after your tourist trip.  The CO would have more information and more time to determine if you should be allowed entry.  They could still find you inadmissible, again.  The CBP officers told you this, because it is part of their job to give you this information - they are required by policy to inform you.

3.  You stated that CBP officers "were practically giving each other hi-5's for "getting me" or meeting their quota." 

First of all, it is highly doubtful that individual CBP officers take joy in denying people entry.  Secondly, what is "practically giving hi-5's"?  They have a critical job to do.  They see thousands of faces every day, with minutes to determine if any red flags are popping up, while also ensuring they properly process people through their lines.  Now, what they might take joy in, is doing their job correctly and stopping people from abusing the VWP.  You may disagree based on your personal experience, but it still isn't true.  You even contradict yourself by posting "to them it's a job", admitting that you do ultimately understand the point.  Finally, there are no quotas in regards to denying people entry under the VWP.  That is simply false information and needs to be corrected, so other people coming to VJ for immigration assistance don't start thinking it is the truth.

4.  You stated "The (sic) didn't seem well-travelled; it is very common for Australians to quit their jobs to travel - we love it! And it is not that difficult to find Marketing jobs in Melbourne."

I'm assuming you meant "they", meaning the CBP officers.  This is just conjecture and a veiled insult on your part.  These type of comments, and you appear to make many of them, don't help your argument.  It doesn't matter what is common or uncommon in Australia - you were attempting to enter the United States.  CBP officers come face-to-face with people from all over the world, not just Australia.  They aren't required and have no way of knowing insignificant details about social constructs from every country on the planet.  

5.  You make claims over and over again, including on here and to the press, that people said this or that to you, that people "lied", and that they all had bad intentions or were condescending and/or unprofessional towards you.  You've also claimed multiple times that you were somehow mistreated by CBP officers and ICE Detention Center officers.  

I read many articles about your story and in each one you made multiple unverifiable claims to "quotes" from CBP officers and ICE Detention Center officers.  There seems to be a pattern emerging here.  I would also contend to you that your experience felt the way it did to you, because you were hugely disappointed, emotional (you said yourself you were crying), and obviously bitter about everything - understandable, as you were anticipating a fun-filled experience in Hawaii and you were looking forward to spending time with your boyfriend Ross.  You were literally minutes away from starting that adventure when it was abruptly pulled away from you by authority figures.  Those authority figures are required to do their job professionally and respectfully.  You aren't entitled to special treatment and they aren't required to be "nice" or "kind" to you.  They are required to do their job, which is protecting our country and enforcing our immigration laws, regardless of how you feel about it now or how you felt about it during the event.  You simply have no entitlement to differing treatment, nothing more than any other individual in your situation.

6.  You stated "but to us (who are obviously not a risk to homeland security, c'mon)". 

Who is "us" and at what point did CBP tell you that you were a risk to homeland security?  They found you inadmissible under the VWP, because the evidence they had in front of them that day pointed toward someone attempting to misuse the purpose of that program.  They took you to a ICE detention facility, because they had nowhere else to hold you until your flight home.  This is standard operating procedure, not only in the U.S., but also in Australia.  They cannot allow inadmissible individuals to walk freely around the airport.  Again, this is all standard operating procedure.  I understand you don't like it, but the rules are in place for a reason.

7.  It doesn't matter that you consider Honolulu to be a "holiday destination".  It is a U.S. Point of Entry and once through immigration, you could travel freely to any other point within the United States.

8.  I'm happy for you that you live in the "most liveable" city in the world and have "free health care".  I'm also happy for you that your boyfriend Ross was able to move to Australia to be with you.     

my thoughts to you, and it probably isn't worth much, is to move on.  Get on with you life.  I understand you felt traumatized by this event.  Everyday, there are hundreds of people denied entry under the VWP.  I'm sure many of them feel the same way as you - disbelief, frustration, sadness, fear, bitterness, an entire range of valid emotions.  I'm not dismissing your emotions or feelings.  If you were my daughter, I would be giving you the exact same advice.  Such is life.  Drop the sense of entitlement.  Learn from the experience, but don't let it define you.  Events like this can scar you, but scars can make you stronger.

Good luck in the future!  

I hope you can also move on from my story. That was an unnecessary essay. 

Namaste 

Just now, MollyHill said:

I hope you can also move on from my story. That was an unnecessary essay. 

Namaste 

It was completely necessary.  You were accusing people on VJ of being "trolls", despite the fact that you came here to discuss your situation.  We didn't invite you, even though you are more than welcome to be here.  My points are valid and you don't get to shut down discussion, just because you don't agree, read the VJ Terms of Service if that isn't clear.  I tried to give you some advice, but it doesn't appear you took the time to consider my points.

3/10/2013 - Married

Naturalization Process

02/14/2015 - NOA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Come on, folks -- let's not badger people.

Let's express different frames of reference respectfully and without judgment.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

On 10/10/2017 at 6:06 PM, MollyHill said:

Hi all, 

I know this is old news but came across this thread and wanted to clarify some things and hopefully some points can help others travelling to visit their loved one! 

Obviously the articles that reported my story couldn't cover everything or else it would have been way too long.. I never approached the media, this was all taken from a post I wrote on my personal Facebook, which I make public only because my friends wanted to share it.

I know people like to be keyboard warriors but I would hope that if you're on this forum you'd have some empathy for someone just trying to visit their long-distance boyfriend, particularly during the tricky dating stage. We counted down the months to get to see each other, and I was looking forward to celebrating my birthday with him in Honolulu (a HOLIDAY destination), not stripped of all my possessions and handcuffed crying in the back of a van, not able to contact any of my family. So if you haven't experienced this then don't call me a "stupid/dumb girl". 

I am acutely aware of the visa options for couples in the US, but none of them suited us, at the time we had only been "Facebook official" for 2 months and I travelled within the restrictions of the Visa Waiver Program. I got into trouble for being over prepared for my holiday, and underprepared in the sense of not expecting to have to prove that I wasn't engaged, or have the Customs officers completely lie and tell me that my boyfriend had said things he hadn't. 

Anyway, they said I was on the wrong visa, and that I could try again on the B1/B2 Visa - which is also a 'tourist/visitor' visa, so I'm not sure why they suggested that if they didn't believe I was a tourist. It was extremely confusing, and they kept me there all day, hence missing all the flights available back to Australia. They said if I wanted to fly with the same airline as my return ticket I would have to stay in detention for 2 nights. I wanted to get out of there asap, so paid the full cost for another ticket to fly the next day. The staff were practically giving each other hi-5's for "getting me" or meeting their quota. The didn't seem well-travelled; it is very common for Australians to quit their jobs to travel - we love it! And it is not that difficult to find Marketing jobs in Melbourne. 

My city has been voted the world's most liveable city for a long time - trust me I had zero intentions of living elsewhere as an illegal alien. I have had a long recovery from this ordeal, but received therapy sessions free of charge (how good is free healthcare!). 

I also studied at University with journalism students, and I thought they might be interested in my experience, I never expected my post to blow up. And the Trump comment was tongue-in-cheek, us Australians tend to throw in some humour if you haven't noticed - if I didn't laugh at the time I would cry! It was actually the prison inmates who apologised for Trump, they have noticed first-hand the amount of detainees from the airport, including a couple on their honeymoon. 

I hope this helps some other couples to be prepared when travelling in the US. My boyfriend Ross moved to Australia with me a month ago on a Work and Holiday visa and I would highly recommend it, we are very welcoming. 

All the best for everyones' journeys x 

Hi I just want to say thank you for coming on here to tell us your side of the story. I really hope that you can move on from this. I'm very happy that your boyfriend now lives with you and I wish you two all the best.