Shiza

Travelling before getting green card

14 posts in this topic

What visa did you arrive with? If you are adjusting from a non-immigrant visa you need to wait for advance parole (or your green card although advance parole is usually quicker) before you can leave.

If you arrived with an immigrant visa then the stamp in your passport serves as a green card and you don't need to wait for the physical card in the mail to be able to travel.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Normally, you would be ok with an I-551 stamp. However, in the current political climate, even with that you run the risk of being permanently being denied re-entry. I recently worked closely with the I.C.E., the D.O.D., and homeland security. Right now, people that are not from the U.S. originally are being actively targeted. I have seen case after case where people have come to the states, become economic and social beacons of light in their communities, and even start and raise families, only to get deported over one technicality or another. It is just best to wait until you get your green card.

Timeline
24 minutes ago, Transborderwife said:

Then you should be ok with an I-551 stamp

I have my flight booked for the day after tomorrow. I cannot ask for an appointment in such a short time. I just want to be sure they wont consider my case abandoned if I leave without my green card

1 hour ago, Shiza said:

I have my flight booked for the day after tomorrow. I cannot ask for an appointment in such a short time. I just want to be sure they wont consider my case abandoned if I leave without my green card

No they won't consider your case abandoned because you don't have the plastic card. How long are you going to be out of the country? They will consider your residency abandoned if you are gone for too long without a compelling reason. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
1 hour ago, JFH said:

No they won't consider your case abandoned because you don't have the plastic card. How long are you going to be out of the country? They will consider your residency abandoned if you are gone for too long without a compelling reason. 

Wont be returning for atleast 4 months. I'm a student so I wont be coming before the end of my semester.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Shiza said:

Wont be returning for atleast 4 months. I'm a student so I wont be coming before the end of my semester.

You're supposed to live in the US.

if your plastic card comes in in the meantime, I'd have it Fedex'd so you can use it to re-enter. It may be worth looking into getting a reentry permit - http://www.i131reentrypermit.com/

I wouldn't be surprised if you got extra scrutiny though, and reentry to the US is not guaranteed: you got your immigrant visa supposedly to immigrate to the US, and after having been here for a month, you leave again for at least 4 months. Makes me wonder if you should have waited to get the immigrant visa until after you finished your studies?

Also, in the current political climate, being from Pakistan is another risk. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

4 months is not going to be an issue.  If over 6, recommend a re-entry permit. If over 1 year, you will need a re-entry permit.
The basic issue is the ability to show you have ties to the US

Edited by mrtravel

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
16 hours ago, mrtravel said:

4 months is not going to be an issue.  If over 6, recommend a re-entry permit. If over 1 year, you will need a re-entry permit.
The basic issue is the ability to show you have ties to the US

just to clarify, re-entry permit is for GC holder who plans to travel for more than 6 months. OP doesn't have a GC yet, he/she needs Advanced Parole. AP usually lasts for 1 year but it's not recommended to travel for more than 6 months on AP just to be safe.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.