adityaag

New York City AOS 2017 Filers

406 posts in this topic

A question to those of you who have had their interviews (if anybody is still paying attention to this forum) ;)

We (finally) have our interview in 4 weeks, and I was wondering if any sponsors brought proof of their personal finances (such as investment / retirement accounts, property owned, value, etc). Since USCIS wants to make sure you can provide for your wife / family, I would think this would be beneficial (but I haven't really seen it mentioned on the lists of required documents).

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Slovakia
Timeline
On 7/3/2019 at 8:16 AM, AaronManhattan said:

Hello, for those remaining 2017 filers who are interested, I just received notice that our status changed to "Interview was scheduled". Now we wait for the notice (we have already prepared everything for the interview, it was the only thing that kept us sane the past few months!)

So to recap, PD date was Nov 22, 2017, I-485 interview scheduled notice on July 3, 2019.

So finally an update on my case status....  "on 7/18/19 the interview was scheduled"

December 2017 PD, Westchester County Filer..

Now waiting for the notice to arrive.

On 7/18/2019 at 8:51 PM, AaronManhattan said:

A question to those of you who have had their interviews (if anybody is still paying attention to this forum) ;)

We (finally) have our interview in 4 weeks, and I was wondering if any sponsors brought proof of their personal finances (such as investment / retirement accounts, property owned, value, etc). Since USCIS wants to make sure you can provide for your wife / family, I would think this would be beneficial (but I haven't really seen it mentioned on the lists of required documents).

Because a new tax year passed since we applied, I brought updated financial info and a new affadavit  of support

K-1 Journey:

Feb 6, 2017   - Mail I-129F packet

Feb 13, 2017 - Package arrived in Dallas

Feb 16, 2017 - Check cashed

Feb 17, 2017 - Electronic NOA1

Feb 15, 2017 - NOA1 (Paper NOA1 date Feb 25)

May 17, 2017 - NOA2 (Paper NOA2 date May 20)

Jun 26 , 2017 - NVC Processing

Jul 26, 2017 - Visa Interview

Aug 24, 2017 - Together!

Sep 1, 2017 - City Hall nuptials

Sep 1, 2018 - Wedding

AOS:

Oct 27, 2017  - Mail AOS packet (I-485, AP, EAD)

Oct 30, 2017 - Package arrived in Chicago

Nov 8, 2017 - Electronic NOA

Nov 8, 2017 - Check cashed

Nov 13, 2017 - Paper NOA (all three)

Nov 18, 2017 - Biometrics Letter

Nov 29, 2017 - Biometrics Interview

Jan 12, 2018 - EAD/AP approval date

Jan 20, 2018 - NOA received, SSN received

Jan 23, 2018 - EAD/AP combo card received

July 17, 2018 - Sent EAD renewal package

July 23, 2018 - Electronic NOA 

May 7, 2019 - AOS Interview

June 13, 2019 - RFE (Medical Examination needed by civil surgeon)

July 13, 2019 - RFE Appointment in office

Removing Conditions:

May 17, 2021 - Date filed

May 27, 2021 - NOA received

Sept 10, 2021 - Biometrics not needed NOA

Oct 19, 2021 - 24 month extension (from original date)

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

As I mentioned in the previous post, the message has finally changed to "On July 18, 2019 we scheduled an interview for your case. We will mail you the notice with .....

It is now two weeks and we still haven't received the notice.

I called USCIS twice but all they are telling me is to wait for the notice. I don't want o miss the interview I have been waiting for over 19 months.

Does anyone have a similar experience or any advice?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Congo
Timeline

Hi everybody,

I had my interview on Thursday,July 25 at 12:00pm.

We went to the 7th floor 700, Manathan building. Me and my wife waited exactly 2hour before the officer come for us. I was stressing big time. 

We went in her office. We swore and sat. I dont know if it was just luck, but we only had about 4 questions ( where we work, parents name, if we met each others parents and our birthdays) and asked for joint bank, new w2 and our passports, thats it.

and one week after at midnight ( today ) i received a notification about an update in my account; Card in production, case approved.

I'm Bad at sharing but i wanted to encourage everyone who is still waiting. GOOD LUCK 💪

On 7/31/2019 at 9:06 PM, sk72 said:

As I mentioned in the previous post, the message has finally changed to "On July 18, 2019 we scheduled an interview for your case. We will mail you the notice with .....

It is now two weeks and we still haven't received the notice.

I called USCIS twice but all they are telling me is to wait for the notice. I don't want o miss the interview I have been waiting for over 19 months.

Does anyone have a similar experience or any advice?

Did you speak with level 2?

On 8/2/2019 at 12:14 AM, bonbon243 said:

Hi everybody,

I had my interview on Thursday,July 25 at 12:00pm.

We went to the 7th floor 700, Manathan building. Me and my wife waited exactly 2hour before the officer come for us. I was stressing big time. 

We went in her office. We swore and sat. I dont know if it was just luck, but we only had about 4 questions ( where we work, parents name, if we met each others parents and our birthdays) and asked for joint bank, new w2 and our passports, thats it.

and one week after at midnight ( today ) i received a notification about an update in my account; Card in production, case approved.

I'm Bad at sharing but i wanted to encourage everyone who is still waiting. GOOD LUCK 💪

Congrats! What was your PD date and what borough did you file in?

Timeline
On 8/6/2019 at 1:10 PM, Bm1789 said:

Did you speak with level 2?

Congrats! What was your PD date and what borough did you file in?

What is a level 2?

When I requested to speak to an officer they have told me that they will see exactly what they see and will not be able to tell me anything else than what Im able to see when I log into my online account.  I also submitted an online request and basically got an automated email response a week later that I need to wait 120 days. Im so disgusted with this whole process and their processing. 

Timeline
On 7/18/2019 at 8:51 PM, AaronManhattan said:

I believe you need to have a tax return for 2018 and an affidavit of support if needed.

BTW, can you tell me how long after your status had changed to " interview is scheduled" you received the notice in mail?

3 hours ago, sk72 said:

BTW, can you tell me how long after your status had changed to " interview is scheduled" you received the notice in mail?

sk72, from the time we received the "Interview Scheduled" notice to actually receiving the paper notice in the mail was about 5 business days. I have heard that a week to 10 days is common.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation, it must be incredibly frustrating. I think it has been about 3 weeks now, yes? My hope is that it WILL appear any day now (as we have learned, nothing makes sense in this process, so perhaps they were just late sending out the notification). But do know that the interview is almost always scheduled 5-6 weeks after the "Interview Scheduled" notification appears online. So if it goes past 4 weeks, I would research other options for contacting them and learning more about your case.

Again, I'm very, very sorry, I can only imagine how frustrated and nervous you must feel, especially after waiting this long...

Timeline
On 8/8/2019 at 10:29 AM, AaronManhattan said:

sk72, from the time we received the "Interview Scheduled" notice to actually receiving the paper notice in the mail was about 5 business days. I have heard that a week to 10 days is common.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation, it must be incredibly frustrating. I think it has been about 3 weeks now, yes? My hope is that it WILL appear any day now (as we have learned, nothing makes sense in this process, so perhaps they were just late sending out the notification). But do know that the interview is almost always scheduled 5-6 weeks after the "Interview Scheduled" notification appears online. So if it goes past 4 weeks, I would research other options for contacting them and learning more about your case.

Again, I'm very, very sorry, I can only imagine how frustrated and nervous you must feel, especially after waiting this long...

AarronManhattan, 

Thank you so much for your information and kind words. 

Finally on Thursday there has been a breakthrough in my case and here is a detail description of how I have finally learned what our interview day is. Hopefully this will help other filers in similar situation:

After not receiving the notice within two weeks, I started to call the customer service almost every day. I also placed an inquiry through my online USCIS account. In the case history I could see it was assigned to an immigration officer and within a week I received an email. Just like everything else within this agency seems dysfunctional, their response was not an exception. It was a computer generated  message summarizing my concern about not receiving the mail and saying that at this point I have to wait 120 days. 

Customer service reps were like a wall, just reading me the same message  I could read on my online case status page like I couldn't read it myself. They too were saying that I have to wait and that it takes at least 30 days for the agency to mail the notice. However from other posts  I knew thats not true. And then someone here suggested to speak to "level 2" whatever that means. Thank God to all these posts!! So on Thursday after I wasn't getting anywhere once again I asked to speak to level 2!!! She reluctantly transferred my call an the automated message stated the the wait time is 488 minutes...Im not an idiot but reached for a calculator to get the right amount of hours i was going to wait!!! :))

Long story short, the level two called me within about two hours and finally told me the date of my interview which is on 8/27 just little over a week from now. If I would listen to all those "level 1s" I would have missed the interview I have been waiting for for almost two years. 

Another fact I have to mention is that after the level two verified my address I realized that they have never updated it to the new one we have moved to. I filed the change of address form back in January, my case history showed that the USCIS accepted the change, except..... they didn't!!! I bet my renewal of work permit I filed with the change of address ended up in the old address as well. (post office/another governmental agency sucks as well) 

So for those in similar situation, do not rely on customer service as they are not authorized to actually open your file!

Don't rely on the online messages either! Request to speak to level two! 

For three weeks I was desperate. If  I wouldn't learn the valuable information about different levels of service at this site I would be screwed!

Sorry for the long message but I wanted to share my unpleasant experience and warn others!

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
On 8/11/2019 at 10:05 PM, sk72 said:

AarronManhattan, 

Thank you so much for your information and kind words. 

Finally on Thursday there has been a breakthrough in my case and here is a detail description of how I have finally learned what our interview day is. Hopefully this will help other filers in similar situation:

After not receiving the notice within two weeks, I started to call the customer service almost every day. I also placed an inquiry through my online USCIS account. In the case history I could see it was assigned to an immigration officer and within a week I received an email. Just like everything else within this agency seems dysfunctional, their response was not an exception. It was a computer generated  message summarizing my concern about not receiving the mail and saying that at this point I have to wait 120 days. 

Customer service reps were like a wall, just reading me the same message  I could read on my online case status page like I couldn't read it myself. They too were saying that I have to wait and that it takes at least 30 days for the agency to mail the notice. However from other posts  I knew thats not true. And then someone here suggested to speak to "level 2" whatever that means. Thank God to all these posts!! So on Thursday after I wasn't getting anywhere once again I asked to speak to level 2!!! She reluctantly transferred my call an the automated message stated the the wait time is 488 minutes...Im not an idiot but reached for a calculator to get the right amount of hours i was going to wait!!! :))

Long story short, the level two called me within about two hours and finally told me the date of my interview which is on 8/27 just little over a week from now. If I would listen to all those "level 1s" I would have missed the interview I have been waiting for for almost two years. 

Another fact I have to mention is that after the level two verified my address I realized that they have never updated it to the new one we have moved to. I filed the change of address form back in January, my case history showed that the USCIS accepted the change, except..... they didn't!!! I bet my renewal of work permit I filed with the change of address ended up in the old address as well. (post office/another governmental agency sucks as well) 

So for those in similar situation, do not rely on customer service as they are not authorized to actually open your file!

Don't rely on the online messages either! Request to speak to level two! 

For three weeks I was desperate. If  I wouldn't learn the valuable information about different levels of service at this site I would be screwed!

Sorry for the long message but I wanted to share my unpleasant experience and warn others!

My Interview was on 8/27/2018 at Federal Plaza after 20 months of waiting. It lasted about 45 minutes. More questions were directed to my husband (an American citizen) than me. The officer was strict and business like, asking many questions and browsing through the whole file of documents we handed her. She took out about 5 photographs from the albums we had with us and kept the whole file of documents we gave her. At the end of the interview she did not give us any indication of how it went just handed me a paper of what their procedure is and that they have 120 days for review. I was freaking out but my husband thought it all went well.

On 8/29 at 7:25 AM I received an email that there is a change on my case. I logged in and the message read " New card is being Produced"

Yay!!!

Best of luck to all of you!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I got approved for my green card via AOS on 8/29! Interview on 8/26, PD of December 4, 2017, in Manhattan. Loooong wait but so relieved and happy. My review of the interview is here: https://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-dos-cis-reviews.php?entry=26971

Good luck to everyone!

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey guys I have my interview on sept 23. I’ve gotten everything ready and organized but somehow I forgot to get certified copy of my marriage certificate. Do you guys know how long it takes to get it? I’m so stressed that I won’t geg it in time 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline
On 9/17/2019 at 6:48 PM, Ariel&Mahum said:

Hey guys I have my interview on sept 23. I’ve gotten everything ready and organized but somehow I forgot to get certified copy of my marriage certificate. Do you guys know how long it takes to get it? I’m so stressed that I won’t geg it in time 

Go to the nearest clerk office and make an in-person request:

https://www.cityclerk.nyc.gov/content/office-locations-hours

If you can't make that - do you have your original marriage certificate? Worst case scenario bring that and if they need to keep just give it to them and get yourself a duplicate afterwards.

Spoiler

K1 Timeline:

7/18/2016 --> I-129F application sent

1/26/2017 --> K1 visa received

Adjustment of Status Timeline:

2/7/17 --> I-485, I-131, I-765 (AOS+AP+EAD) application sent

8/18/2017--> green card received in mail

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

5/14/2019 --> I-751 application sent

10/2/2020 --> 10-year green card received in mail

Naturalization Timeline:

7/28/2020--> Submitted N-400 application online

2/12/2021--> Biometrics re-use letter received

4/30/2021--> Interview scheduled for 6/8/2021

6/8/2021-->  Approved during interview

6/21/2021-->  oath ceremony - officially US citizen

K1: 7/18/2016 --> 1/26/2017

AOS: 2/7/17 --> 8/18/2017

ROC:  5/14/2019 --> 10/2/2020

Naturalization: 7/28/2020--> 6/21/2021

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.