adityaag

New York City AOS 2017 Filers

406 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 3/26/2019 at 6:17 PM, kevinnn said:

Hello, just posting because my wife's AOS was updated to "Interview Was Scheduled".

PD is October 26th 2017

She entered on a K1

Brooklyn filer

Hope others who haven't received an update lately get one soon too.

P.S. Is there consensus on if you need to redo the medical in the event that you applied based on K1? I thought I'd read it might not be necessary, but is that true?

Got the interview notice in the mail. It will be May 2nd at Federal Plaza (1 year, 6 months, and 6 days after filing).

Hi everyone! 

I had my interview last Thursday, March 28. Brooklyn Field Office (so the 8th floor of Federal Plaza). My PD is August 30, 2017. We were given the lovely piece of paper at the end stating the IO has 120 days to make a decision, although he said it probably won't take that long. I haven't had any updates online yet, and I'm trying to remain calm and remind myself that it's only been 1.5 business days. Really tapping into my last reserves of patience now. 

Good luck to everyone, and let me know if you have questions about the NYC experience!

Marriage-based AOS, Brooklyn field office
8-30-17 I-130/I-485 received
11-2-17 - I-485 RFE mailed
11-9-17 - I-485/I-130 name updated
11-21-17 - I-485 RFE received
12-10-17 - 1st EAD card in hand
3-16-18 - Interview ready to be scheduled
7-30-18 -EAD/AP RENEWAL case received
8-2-18 - EAD/AP fingerprint completed
1-31-19 - Service request #1 for EAD/AP renewal
2-20-19 - Interview scheduled for 3-28-19
3-28-19 - Had interview!
4-5-19 New card is being produced
4-13-19 - Green card in hand

1 hour ago, pandabear80 said:

Hi everyone! 

I had my interview last Thursday, March 28. Brooklyn Field Office (so the 8th floor of Federal Plaza). My PD is August 30, 2017. We were given the lovely piece of paper at the end stating the IO has 120 days to make a decision, although he said it probably won't take that long. I haven't had any updates online yet, and I'm trying to remain calm and remind myself that it's only been 1.5 business days. Really tapping into my last reserves of patience now. 

Good luck to everyone, and let me know if you have questions about the NYC experience!

I am on the same boat. Had my interview on 3/27 .8th floor as well.no decision. That officer didn’t even mention what’s gonna happen at all. Another miserable waiting starts 

Ok, got an update on My.USCIS on Friday, April 5 that a new card is being produced. Green card is not in hand yet, but hopefully we're nearly there.

3-28-19 - Had interview!

3 minutes ago, YAN Yan said:

Congratulation . I still didn’t hear from back it. Are you getting a ten year card or two year card 

A 2-year conditional one.

3-28-19 - Had interview!

On 4/8/2019 at 4:01 PM, pandabear80 said:

A 2-year conditional one.

Green card in hand today. 19 months and 14 days. Very relieved. Good luck to everyone, and please let me know if you have any questions (NYC field office)!

3-28-19 - Had interview!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
1 minute ago, pandabear80 said:

Green card in hand today. 19 months and 14 days. Very relieved. Good luck to everyone, and please let me know if you have any questions (NYC field office)!

Congratulations. Could you please share your interview experience. What type of questions did they ask? How long was it? 

17 minutes ago, QueensNY said:

Congratulations. Could you please share your interview experience. What type of questions did they ask? How long was it? 

Certainly. Here's my interview post from the ***removed*** forum. Hope it helps.

We just got home from our interview at the Brooklyn field office. Here's what happened. My husband is a USC and I'm from the U.K.

We arrived at 12:30pm for a 1pm appointment in the Brooklyn field office, so the 8th floor of the big NYC federal building. We arrived with our attorney and gave our interview notice in at the desk. We sat in the waiting room, which had about 30 people in it.

Our number was called at around 2:30 p.m., so we had an hour and a half wait. Not so bad. Our officer was very nice and the opposite of aggressive. He seemed young and quite new, and was extremely thorough. He explained the interview process, then my husband and I raised our right hands and swore to tell the truth. Our lawyer then handed over our updated evidence. Our previous lawyer (long story) filed a pretty thin packet, so this new evidence was really to make up for that. It included three signed affidavits from friends and family, photos, leases, bank statements, married jointly filed taxes, life/health/rental insurance, evidence of joint travel, Costco and Amazon memberships. We have been dating since 2012 and have photos from that far back, so the officer commented on how we've known each other for a long time. I also gave him original copies of our birth certificates, passports, marriage certificate, drivers licenses, and my new medical exam. The officer went through all of this evidence at his desk, in front of us.

Then came the questions. I'd say my husband and I were asked an equal number of questions.

I was asked:

• How and when we met
  • If my husband is currently working and, if so, where
  • His previous employers
  • To describe our neighborhood (what kind of businesses are our the streets nearby)
  • Where we live now and where we previously lived together
  • How many people attended our second wedding reception in my hometown in the U.K.

My husband was asked:

• Where I work
  • What subway lines are near our apartment
  • When we were married and what the wedding was like (he spoke about our wedding, plus both receptions. Our first was in the U.S.)

We were both asked:

• Each others' full names and birthdays
  • Each others' parent's names
  • The names of our sisters

I felt pretty calm during all of this because they are simple questions. There were just a lot of them.

He then asked a TON of security questions, which is no surprise. Am I a prostitute/communist/planning to overthrow the U.S. government? Are my parents drug traffickers? He asked maybe 20-30 of these questions. After this, he made copies of a couple of documents and it was all over.

TIPS: My birth certificate was different than the one I initially filed, so make sure those line up. Today I brought the longer one from the U.K., but I'd filed with a shorter version. The officer also needed copies of the parole stamps in my passport (using Advanced Parole), so that's something to include if you have them.

The entire interview took about 40 minutes. The number of questions and meticulousness of the officer was likely because he was young, according to our lawyer. Fair play, he just wants to make sure everything is done by the book. I am relieved and tired, but will be truly happy once the green card is in my hands. Fingers crossed the wait isn't too long!

Please ask questions if you have them. Wishing everyone the best of luck!

P.S.

I filed a renewal for my EAD/AP combo card on July 30, 2018. We haven't heard anything about that for 8 months now. I filed a service request in February 2019, but still nothing. So, maybe that will come, but who knows! If nothing happens in the next two months with either the green card or the combo card, I will have to stop working.

3-28-19 - Had interview!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
29 minutes ago, pandabear80 said:

Certainly. Here's my interview post from the ***removed*** forum. Hope it helps.

We just got home from our interview at the Brooklyn field office. Here's what happened. My husband is a USC and I'm from the U.K.

We arrived at 12:30pm for a 1pm appointment in the Brooklyn field office, so the 8th floor of the big NYC federal building. We arrived with our attorney and gave our interview notice in at the desk. We sat in the waiting room, which had about 30 people in it.

Our number was called at around 2:30 p.m., so we had an hour and a half wait. Not so bad. Our officer was very nice and the opposite of aggressive. He seemed young and quite new, and was extremely thorough. He explained the interview process, then my husband and I raised our right hands and swore to tell the truth. Our lawyer then handed over our updated evidence. Our previous lawyer (long story) filed a pretty thin packet, so this new evidence was really to make up for that. It included three signed affidavits from friends and family, photos, leases, bank statements, married jointly filed taxes, life/health/rental insurance, evidence of joint travel, Costco and Amazon memberships. We have been dating since 2012 and have photos from that far back, so the officer commented on how we've known each other for a long time. I also gave him original copies of our birth certificates, passports, marriage certificate, drivers licenses, and my new medical exam. The officer went through all of this evidence at his desk, in front of us.

Then came the questions. I'd say my husband and I were asked an equal number of questions.

I was asked:

• How and when we met
  • If my husband is currently working and, if so, where
  • His previous employers
  • To describe our neighborhood (what kind of businesses are our the streets nearby)
  • Where we live now and where we previously lived together
  • How many people attended our second wedding reception in my hometown in the U.K.

My husband was asked:

• Where I work
  • What subway lines are near our apartment
  • When we were married and what the wedding was like (he spoke about our wedding, plus both receptions. Our first was in the U.S.)

We were both asked:

• Each others' full names and birthdays
  • Each others' parent's names
  • The names of our sisters

I felt pretty calm during all of this because they are simple questions. There were just a lot of them.

He then asked a TON of security questions, which is no surprise. Am I a prostitute/communist/planning to overthrow the U.S. government? Are my parents drug traffickers? He asked maybe 20-30 of these questions. After this, he made copies of a couple of documents and it was all over.

TIPS: My birth certificate was different than the one I initially filed, so make sure those line up. Today I brought the longer one from the U.K., but I'd filed with a shorter version. The officer also needed copies of the parole stamps in my passport (using Advanced Parole), so that's something to include if you have them.

The entire interview took about 40 minutes. The number of questions and meticulousness of the officer was likely because he was young, according to our lawyer. Fair play, he just wants to make sure everything is done by the book. I am relieved and tired, but will be truly happy once the green card is in my hands. Fingers crossed the wait isn't too long!

Please ask questions if you have them. Wishing everyone the best of luck!

P.S.

I filed a renewal for my EAD/AP combo card on July 30, 2018. We haven't heard anything about that for 8 months now. I filed a service request in February 2019, but still nothing. So, maybe that will come, but who knows! If nothing happens in the next two months with either the green card or the combo card, I will have to stop working.

Thanks so much. And congrats again. 

Just got the Notification: Interview Scheduled! Brooklyn late Nov 2017 filer. Don't have the mail in hand yet. That is quite quick for NYC - I didn't expect anything til summer the earliest. WOW!

Edited by lms

11/25/2017 - AOS Papers Sent

11/27/2017 - Package delivered by FedEx

12/07/2017 - NOA1's received in the mail

12/15/2017 - Biometrics Appointment letter received scheduled for 12/27/2017

12/22/2017 - Biometrics done I-485 & I-765 via Walk-In Brooklyn (done in under 15 Minutes)

02/14/2018 - Service Request to expedite my EAD put in via Hotline plus contacted my Congressman for help

03/13/2018 - EAD & AP approval Letters in the mail (106 days since filing)

03/15/2018 - EAD/AP Card in the mail <3 

On 3/27/2019 at 6:03 PM, kevinnn said:

Nice! Yes, it was a little quicker than we were planning :) Hopefully this means you'll have a notice soon. I see when we login to, https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/ the status was changed over a week ago there. 

By the way, my wife plans to do a new medical before the interview to reduce the chance of an RFE. It's been such a long wait that the extra $ seems worth the reduced risk of waiting longer.

Just got my text wife and I are scheduled for interview! Wow, very fast. 

Edited by lms

11/25/2017 - AOS Papers Sent

11/27/2017 - Package delivered by FedEx

12/07/2017 - NOA1's received in the mail

12/15/2017 - Biometrics Appointment letter received scheduled for 12/27/2017

12/22/2017 - Biometrics done I-485 & I-765 via Walk-In Brooklyn (done in under 15 Minutes)

02/14/2018 - Service Request to expedite my EAD put in via Hotline plus contacted my Congressman for help

03/13/2018 - EAD & AP approval Letters in the mail (106 days since filing)

03/15/2018 - EAD/AP Card in the mail <3 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.