adityaag

New York City AOS 2017 Filers

406 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

My wife had her AOS interview yesterday (Brooklyn filer). We arrived 45 min early, but ended up waiting several hours. We learned later that the officer handling our case got stuck with a couple that was insisting on having the interview without a translator, despite needing one. Anyway, lesson learned: bring a snack!

Our interview was pretty straight-forward. I was surprised at how many questions were addressed to me (the US citizen) and I got a bit flustered. There were a few things I didn't know the answer to, like my wife's phone number, but the officer just laughed about it. By the end we were casually chit-chatting and she said she'd approve us as soon as she looks at her background check. At around 6PM the USCIS app we use to track the case updated to show "New card is being produced"! Hopefully we receive it soon.

The officer was initially happy to see that we had done a medical, but when I pressed her on if it was actually necessary, she looked at my wife's packet and realized it wasn't as the packet contained her K1 medical information. She said sometimes it does get lost. Oh well, we're just happy to be approved.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

So as you all know my interview is on Tuesday May 21 and I think I have everything ready but I’m still so nervous. I have Bank statements, Joint prime account, Costco membership, joint lease agreement, receipts for things we bought on our trips, wedding album with other photos. 

Question. Should my lease agreement be stamped by a JP? 

My wife and I had our interview today. 

NYC Filer - 18 months from filing AOS to interview. 

We got coffee in the morning and went to Federal Plaza on a full subway as per usual. 

We arrived about 30min early and waited around 1,5h (we were really hungry at this point, playing hangman and drew sketches for a project). There were quite a few lawyers there, but mostly people who I think filed for their parents and people who filed via work for GC. I think there were only 2 or 3 other couples there when we got there. 

Got called in, the really friendly officer took our oaths and my photo & fingerprints and explained that he needs the original birth certificates, marriage certificate, ID's and passports. Which we handed over. He was pleasantly surprised I also had copies for him of our passports and all the other things (except for SSN, he made a copy of that after the interview and added the number to the forms after the interview was conducted).

He explained we cannot answer the questions for one another and only answer when getting asked. 

The questions where: where do you live, what landmarks are nearby, how did we meet, who introduced us, what are your parents names, what does your wife do for work, for how long has she worked at x and x, what was your wife's address at - home country -, and have you visited her, what does your wife's brother do for work/has he ever visited/how old is he(I didn't know how old my brother is hahahha, my wife wasn't 100% sure but correct - he likes to stay home and never visited - he is boring unfortunately). I forgot the name of one of our cross streets (blackout) but was like this and this and this and this street are around, and this and this - I cannot remember right now, and this is the next subway stop. Who made dinner last night, where you go out for dinner, favorite food and such. Then I got asked all those yes/no questions about human trafficking etc., had to sign that all was answered honestly and correctly, that the SSN was added to the forms and told us it can be up to 120 days to make a decision, but he doesn't think it will take that long. We got the piece of paper that it is reviewed, shaked hands and wished each other a good day.

I was very nervous, my wife was very relaxed and a bit disappointed she couldn't tell him more about us haha. 

We got lunch and drinks at the place we had our after wedding brunch exactly 1,5 y ago and then we went home :). 

Now...waiting again, hopefully with some good news soon *fingerscrossed*.

Overall, if you don't have anything to hide and come decently prepared, it should be an ok experience. 

Oh and I asked if the officer wants a new I-894 I prepared and last years W's of my wife and new employment letter, but he said it was fine he won't need it. Wife makes a few times over the poverty line (and I make even more than her, even though he couldn't know that) - we were fine. I assume if there would be doubt about that you might need to bring an updated form and up to date W's.

Best, 

L

Edited by lms

11/25/2017 - AOS Papers Sent

11/27/2017 - Package delivered by FedEx

12/07/2017 - NOA1's received in the mail

12/15/2017 - Biometrics Appointment letter received scheduled for 12/27/2017

12/22/2017 - Biometrics done I-485 & I-765 via Walk-In Brooklyn (done in under 15 Minutes)

02/14/2018 - Service Request to expedite my EAD put in via Hotline plus contacted my Congressman for help

03/13/2018 - EAD & AP approval Letters in the mail (106 days since filing)

03/15/2018 - EAD/AP Card in the mail <3 

Sounds like it went well, @lms! Honestly, this sounds almost exactly like our interview on Tuesday, down to the long wait to be seen! I also brought an updated affidavit since we'd filed a joint return since AOS filing, but he didn't take the form, only the accompanying evidence. We got put into review and got a paper receipt from the officer with the same 120 day window. 

I don't think I'd be worried about it if we weren't planning on traveling to Canada this weekend for Memorial Day...ugh. The officer said we'd be safe to travel on AP, but part of me is nervous traveling before there's even an official decision! Fingers crossed for a status update soon (for both of us!)

Removal of Conditions

02/08/2021 — Received hard copy Reminder to File Form I-751 in mail (Notice Date: 02/04/2021, Priority Date: 02/03/2021) 

02/28/2021 — ROC window opens

05/05/2021 — Mailed ROC package (I-751) to Phoenix Lockbox

05/07/2021 [Day 1] — ROC package received at Phoenix Lockbox

05/21/2021 [Day 14] — Check for $680 cashed

05/24/2021 [Day 17] — Text notification received & hard copy NOA1 in mail from Vermont Service Center (Received Date: 05/07/2021, Notice Date: 05/20/2021)

06/01/2021 [Day 25] — Case updated to show fingerprints were taken

06/05/2021 [Day 29] — Hard copy biometrics waiver received in mail (Notice Date: 06/01/2021)

11/08/2021 [Day 185] — Hard copy NOA1 received in mail to extend validity from 18 months to 24 months (Notice Date: 11/01/2021)

12/10/2022 [Day 582] — New card is being produced

12/13/2022 [Day 585] — Case was approved 

12/17/2022 [Day 589] — Hard copy approval notice received in mail (Notice Date: 12/10/2022) and green card mailed

12/21/2022 [Day 593] — 10-year green card received 

Adjustment of Status

07/07/2018 -- Married

12/01/2018 -- Mailed AOS package (I-130/I-130A, I-485, I-864, I-765, I-131) to Chicago Lockbox

12/03/2018 [Day 1] — AOS package received at Chicago Lockbox

12/21/2018 [Day 18] — Biometrics notice received

01/02/2019 [Day 30] — Biometrics completed 

02/13/2019 [Day 72] — Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview

03/22/2019 [Day 109] — EAD/AP approved

03/29/2019 [Day 116] — EAD/AP combo card received

04/10/2019 [Day 128] — Interview was scheduled

05/21/2019 [Day 169] — AOS interview (approval pending review)

05/29/2019 [Day 177] — Case approved/new card is being produced

06/05/2019 [Day 184] — Green card received 

4 hours ago, D&D_NYC said:

Sounds like it went well, @lms! Honestly, this sounds almost exactly like our interview on Tuesday, down to the long wait to be seen! I also brought an updated affidavit since we'd filed a joint return since AOS filing, but he didn't take the form, only the accompanying evidence. We got put into review and got a paper receipt from the officer with the same 120 day window. 

I don't think I'd be worried about it if we weren't planning on traveling to Canada this weekend for Memorial Day...ugh. The officer said we'd be safe to travel on AP, but part of me is nervous traveling before there's even an official decision! Fingers crossed for a status update soon (for both of us!)

Oh it does! :) Glad yours went well too! 

Traveling on AP is fine, I did it twice without any issues. I still haven't gotten my renewal AP/EAD so I cannot leave the country (and lost a huge chunk of money for international assignments due to that, unfortunately...I guess no NZ trip with wifey over NYE :( ). It is what it is. I pray to all the deities that we both get "card is in production" very soon :). 

Fingers crossed and good luck! Enjoy your trip!

Edited by lms

12/22/2017 - Biometrics done I-485 & I-765 via Walk-In Brooklyn (done in under 15 Minutes)

02/14/2018 - Service Request to expedite my EAD put in via Hotline plus contacted my Congressman for help

Timeline

INTERVIEW EXPERIENCE

hi guys so as you all know I had my interview on Tuesday may 21, at the Queens office in Manhattan. Got there at 9:35 our appointment was at 10:30. We went thro security. We waited about an hour then get called in. A gentleman conduct the interview. Most of the questions were directed to my husband. It was intense and most of them repetitive. I’m so proud of my hubby as he knew all the answers and even dates that I thought he would have forgotten. My interview lasted about 30-45 mins. 

Prove we have together 

Joint lease

bank statement

phone bills

joint Tax

joint credit card

(he kept them all)

some of the questions he ask my husband. (US citizen)

Whats your wife madden name

SPELL your wife middle name

whats your wife phone number 

how did you meet your wife

How long before you propose 

Do you have wood floor or carpet

what kind of furniture 

stainless steal fridge? 

Describe your countertop 

spell your step daughter’s name

where was your wife born

What’s your landlord name

id i call the landlord now would be say you guys live together?

my question (Applicant)  

where was your previous address 

my date of birth and how old I am. 

Thats it for me. But a lot for my husband 

overall i honestly think we did well. And we asked him how we did and he said we did good but give us the famous receipt saying held for review. He did say though that we should expect a mail in a week. 

I’m not going to give you the advice that if your marriage is legit then you will be fine because even if it is they will still ask you questions. It’s up to the immigration officer and the mood he’s in. Our marriage is 💯 real.

just pray and keep getting to know each other. Breathe and don’t stress yourself 

I will post again as soon as I hear the outcome. Let’s hope it’s not another long wait. 

1 hour ago, QueensNY said:

INTERVIEW EXPERIENCE

hi guys so as you all know I had my interview on Tuesday may 21, at the Queens office in Manhattan. Got there at 9:35 our appointment was at 10:30. We went thro security. We waited about an hour then get called in. A gentleman conduct the interview. Most of the questions were directed to my husband. It was intense and most of them repetitive. I’m so proud of my hubby as he knew all the answers and even dates that I thought he would have forgotten. My interview lasted about 30-45 mins. 

Prove we have together 

Joint lease

bank statement

phone bills

joint Tax

joint credit card

(he kept them all)

some of the questions he ask my husband. (US citizen)

Whats your wife madden name

SPELL your wife middle name

whats your wife phone number 

how did you meet your wife

How long before you propose 

Do you have wood floor or carpet

what kind of furniture 

stainless steal fridge? 

Describe your countertop 

spell your step daughter’s name

where was your wife born

What’s your landlord name

id i call the landlord now would be say you guys live together?

my question (Applicant)  

where was your previous address 

my date of birth and how old I am. 

Thats it for me. But a lot for my husband 

overall i honestly think we did well. And we asked him how we did and he said we did good but give us the famous receipt saying held for review. He did say though that we should expect a mail in a week. 

I’m not going to give you the advice that if your marriage is legit then you will be fine because even if it is they will still ask you questions. It’s up to the immigration officer and the mood he’s in. Our marriage is 💯 real.

just pray and keep getting to know each other. Breathe and don’t stress yourself 

I will post again as soon as I hear the outcome. Let’s hope it’s not another long wait. 

Wow - that sounds intense. 

I was wondering why the officer didn't ask anything about our home. But asked how old my brother is haha (not even I know that myself, we aren't super close). Fingers crossed!!!!!! Sounds like it went well :)

Timeline
1 minute ago, lms said:

Wow - that sounds intense. 

I was wondering why the officer didn't ask anything about our home. But asked how old my brother is haha (not even I know that myself, we aren't super close). Fingers crossed!!!!!! Sounds like it went well :)

Lol. I’m just keeping my fingers cross. But my online status is still saying interview was scheduled 😫 No change 

7 minutes ago, QueensNY said:

Lol. I’m just keeping my fingers cross. But my online status is still saying interview was scheduled 😫 No change 

No update here either. 

I won't stress, I already got so many minor health issues because of all that stress over the last years (nothing bad, but never had that before). I am done haha - wife and I did everything we could to our best knowledge. Best of luck! :) 

Edited by lms

Timeline
9 minutes ago, lms said:

No update here either. 

I won't stress, I already got so many minor health issues because of all that stress over the last years (nothing bad, but never had that before). I am done haha - wife and I did everything we could to our best knowledge. Best of luck! :) 

I’m not stressing over it either. That’s the same thing I told my husband. When was your interview? 

26 minutes ago, QueensNY said:

I’m not stressing over it either. That’s the same thing I told my husband. When was your interview? 

yesterday!

NEW CARD IS IN PRODUCTION! 

Filed in Brooklyn in Nov 2017!  YIhaaaa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.