banhoff

Unexpected situation

41 posts in this topic

Take up the job. I known somebody call me rude or heartless person. If you are the one who provides majority of income in your house, then you do not need to listen to her decisions. Take your own decisions. You worked so hard to reach to this position where your bosses care about you. She is trying to manupulate you. She will agrees to it. In other way you are doing something good for your family as well. If you have more fund then you can support your family in a better way. She has to understand and need to be supportive. She should be happy about your such progress and not be selfish and one directional and controling. 

Sorry to say, I am not generalizing but women who knows how to manipulate their husband they have best weapon and they will freak you out to death by saying "I will divorce you".  Sorry but that's not sign of healthy relationship where you loose your respect. Try to talk to her again and if something happens in future you know whose fault is it. You are trying to do good for everyone. Good luck bro... 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline
37 minutes ago, kkk1 said:

Take up the job. I known somebody call me rude or heartless person. If you are the one who provides majority of income in your house, then you do not need to listen to her decisions. Take your own decisions. You worked so hard to reach to this position where your bosses care about you. She is trying to manupulate you. She will agrees to it. In other way you are doing something good for your family as well. If you have more fund then you can support your family in a better way. She has to understand and need to be supportive. She should be happy about your such progress and not be selfish and one directional and controling. 

Sorry to say, I am not generalizing but women who knows how to manipulate their husband they have best weapon and they will freak you out to death by saying "I will divorce you".  Sorry but that's not sign of healthy relationship where you loose your respect. Try to talk to her again and if something happens in future you know whose fault is it. You are trying to do good for everyone. Good luck bro... 

That is not the way we roll here in the US, you make decisions together as a couple, you discuss it and reach a compromise.
It does not matter who makes more money, money does not equal sole decision power.
We have not heard all of her reasons of why she does not agree with it other than the children issue. It is their decision.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: Timeline
1 minute ago, Ebunoluwa said:

That is not the way we roll here in the US, you make decisions together as a couple, you discuss it and reach a compromise.
It does not matter who makes more money, money does not equal sole decision power.
We have not heard all of her reasons of why she does not agree with it other than the children issue. It is their decision.

Ok i agree but a negotiation between does not start with "if you take the job I will Divorce you"  isnt that like an unwarranted escalation of negotiations

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Bostorican said:

Ok i agree but a negotiation between does not start with "if you take the job I will Divorce you"  isnt that like an unwarranted escalation of negotiations

Yes, of course I agree.

Spoiler

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

OP's profile says Boston - employement situation is great in Boston right now... so not impossible to commute until he finds something closer to home.   Good luck - hope your wife and yourself will be able to discuss about it all. 

45 minutes ago, Bostorican said:

That's what my point was. Thanks for clearing it. It doesn't matter it is America or Russia, negotiation is the worst if it is between couples. He did tried to explain her and put his thoughts. I am not giving damn about who makes what, neither I am sexiest. But it seems that he is being responsible enough and he wish his growth along with family. He wouldn't be here for our advice if he would be selfish. He could have just moved forward with the job. That's the irrelevant stress. 

On 1/21/2017 at 1:38 PM, wheresmykoala said:

I'll add my two cents in just incase it helps you out in making a decision. I've seen a lot of good posts on this forum about your situation, and I understand why it is such a difficult choice to make.

The one thing that REALLY stands out to me is the fact that your wife was so ready to use divorce as an ultimatum against you if you take this job, without even giving your needs any thought. I understand she is stuck in that radius due to her ex with the kids, so she cannot move with you (if you decided to move to VT). However, I think it's really ridiculous that she - the person who doesn't have to drive 3 hours to work and back, and who would still get to see you home at night as if you were working nearby - instantly refuses to let you work a job that you are clearly proud of and passionate for. I think it's rude for her to respond to you with-  "McDonald's is always hiring!" 

It's unfair for her to belittle your accomplishments and have you settle for a minimum wage job just because she doesn't want you commuting a few extra hours to work. I think the commute would get very tiring after a while though- I commute an hour and a half 3-4x a week there and back, and it gets exhausting. I've seen people post alternatives, such as staying at a hotel, or renting an apartment. 

What it comes down to is your wife needs to listen to your needs, just as much as you are listening to hers. It is totally unfair if she expects you to be unhappy, (i.e. working McDonalds/Dunkin Donuts) just so as she can have her way. I don't understand why she is so opposed to your lengthy commute? You both need to meet in the middle, which she is not doing for you. You can always look for jobs nearby since you have the qualifications, however, I think it's important to talk with your wife about why she was so ready to throw divorce in your face over work. I understand family is very important, but as a family they should be celebrating your accomplishments and looking for a way to make it work, rather than making it an issue that could lead to divorce. I would really discuss this with your wife, because it seems like a great job that would really support everyone, and make you happy. It is unfair for either side to be miserable, and I can tell that if you don't take the job, you will be unhappy working at the alternatives your wife has given you. Good luck and I hope you are able to reach a fair agreement between the two of you!

1 hour ago, kkk1 said:

That's what my point was. Thanks for clearing it. It doesn't matter it is America or Russia, negotiation is the worst if it is between couples. He did tried to explain her and put his thoughts. I am not giving damn about who makes what, neither I am sexiest. But it seems that he is being responsible enough and he wish his growth along with family. He wouldn't be here for our advice if he would be selfish. He could have just moved forward with the job. That's the irrelevant stress. 

On 1/21/2017 at 9:26 AM, amul said:

This exactly! 

When my husband comes and starts working, we might run into the same issue and we will sit and discuss everything and find a middle ground. I can't be happy when he is unhappy and vise versa. I am not sure why she would use the word divorce so quickly. 

I understand your predicament -- finding and moving up in a career is important for many of us. It might not define us wholly, but is one of the building blocks of how we feel about our lives, not to mention how well we are able to live financially. Standing in one's way of happiness might have an immediate "I got what I want" kind of reward, but the aftermath is detrimental for all parties. Resentment has a silent way of working its magic and once it starts it can wreck havoc on all partnerships, including marriages.

I am for you considering this job opportunity. I would and I also would be behind my husband should we be in the same predicament. 

Best of luck to you...

1 hour ago, kkk1 said:

2 hours ago, Bostorican said:

On 1/20/2017 at 9:57 PM, Ebunoluwa said:

Sounds like a tough situation to be in.

What exactly is her objection to your 3 hour daily commute ?

Six hour driving everyday is a lot, would you do that daily ?
I would not agree to a weekend marriage either if you were thinking of only coming home on weekends.

She petitioned you here to be together not live apart.

Search companies in your area closer to home, sounds like you have a great resume and experience, there should be

some good jobs a bit closer, maybe within an hour's drive radius that you can compromise on.

I understand why she can't move due to the restrictions with the joint custody, her kids are more important than

you making more money and that is as it should be.

Perhaps you can go to a marriage counselor who can mediate a compromise.

On 1/20/2017 at 7:15 PM, databit said:

Would she consider a compromise, like you living in a small apartment or long-term hotel Monday through Friday and then going home to her every weekend and holiday? 

If her ex is paying child support, maybe try reminding her that could stop at anytime for any reason, and your having a minimum-wage job could not support her and the kids.

On 1/21/2017 at 0:04 AM, Jawaree said:

I would go with the job, since its 3 hrs commute Mon morning, , back home Tues nite, commute Wed morn,& then

Fri go home, if she has your back as a partner she'll understand you staying in a motel M,W,TH evenings of the week

to give the family a better life, she could take a trip at times to come chill with you.I think shes selfish. OP is it

that you have not yet finish in the process of obtaining a GC & she is being manupulative.Take the job & commute

On 1/21/2017 at 0:04 AM, Jawaree said:

I would go with the job, since its 3 hrs commute Mon morning, , back home Tues nite, commute Wed morn,& then

Fri go home, if she has your back as a partner she'll understand you staying in a motel M,W,TH evenings of the week

to give the family a better life, she could take a trip at times to come chill with you.I think shes selfish. OP is it

that you have not yet finish in the process of obtaining a GC & she is being manupulative.Take the job & commute

I am his wife. Just so you are aware I use the word divorce because my. Husband has been unfaithful and lied to me as he lied on this board. Not once did I ever say he could work at McDonalds or Dunkin Donuts. Nor did I ever say we could state assistance. I have helped him with his resume making it and in every way to get here and while he is here. Our marriage has been hard with cultural differences as well as age. This is not the only job in the world and I am in a position where I can't move and I also do not feel comfortable at all with him saying there for the week and coming home on the weekend where he has been unfaithful. There is trust issues and everyone can say he should take the job easily but you don't know the whole story. 

20 minutes ago, Hurt_Wife said:

I am the wife and found this post. Just so you are aware I use the word divorce because my. Husband has been unfaithful and lied to me as he lied on this board. Not once did I ever say he could work at McDonalds or Dunkin Donuts. Nor did I ever say we could state assistance. I have helped him with his resume making it and in every way to get here and while he is here. Our marriage has been hard with cultural differences as well as age. This is not the only job in the world and I am in a position where I can't move and I also do not feel comfortable at all with him saying there for the week and coming home on the weekend where he has been unfaithful. There is trust issues and everyone can say he should take the job easily but you don't know the whole story. 

Hi, if this really is his wife, I appreciate you responding. Yes we didn't know the full story, but on these forums people are typically genuine when asking other users for help in tough situations, so I, like many other users, take posts seriously and do my best to help with the information provided. Many users on here have been in similar situations as to what your husband posted about, where they felt trapped with their S/O due to job, family, etc, so I'm inclined to trust the users who take the time to post a lengthy topic and try to help them.

It's completely understandable why you would not be comfortable with him commuting if he has been lying and unfaithful towards you in the past. I think anyone would agree that with trust issues and past instances of lying and cheating, this sounds like more opportunity to do the same. Hopefully these issues can be solved between the two of you, because being with someone you cannot trust is nearly impossible as trust is a major part of being in a relationship. Do not worry about all the posters telling him to take the job on the thread, as this is advice based on his perspective of this situation, without the details you have mentioned above. Had users known this, we could understand why you would be so against it. Regardless of who did what, this is obviously not a good situation for either husband or wife, and I really hope you are both able to work something out.

K-1  (134 Days)

10/24/16 I-129F Received
10/27/16 NOA 1
11/28/16 NOA 2
12/16/16 NVC Case Number

01/04/17 Case Ready!
02/16/17 Medical Appointment
03/07/17 Interview- APPROVED!

05/25/17 PO

koalafornia.gif.7dcdef8e779766ea5ce2f681e19e19fe.gif

Timeline
11 hours ago, Hurt_Wife said:

I am his wife. Just so you are aware I use the word divorce because my. Husband has been unfaithful and lied to me as he lied on this board. Not once did I ever say he could work at McDonalds or Dunkin Donuts. Nor did I ever say we could state assistance. I have helped him with his resume making it and in every way to get here and while he is here. Our marriage has been hard with cultural differences as well as age. This is not the only job in the world and I am in a position where I can't move and I also do not feel comfortable at all with him saying there for the week and coming home on the weekend where he has been unfaithful. There is trust issues and everyone can say he should take the job easily but you don't know the whole story. 

A weekend- only- marriage that is already eroded by his unfaithfulness and lies would be falling apart in no time.
I agree with you 100%.
He needs to build trust and it seems to not be the right time to talk about moving.
I would not want to uproot my life with someone who is unstable in regards to being unfaithful but would have filed for
divorce. Since you have reconciled I would definitely take a wait and see approach and stay put and see how his priorities
evolve in the near future. Boston is a big city, there is bound to be something suitable for him, he just has to make an effort
to look around and put your marriage on top of his list. He messed up and now he needs to fix it or bear the consequences.
This goes way beyond ' I'm sorry' and being back to normal within months is not realistic, 15 minutes of unfaithfulness can take
years to fix. Trust is shattered very quickly and takes a lot of time to re build.

Spoiler

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline
10 hours ago, Hurt_Wife said:

I tend to stay clear from "he said, she said" conversations, especially online -- so I will bow out of this thread.

Wishing you and your family all the best. I truly hope that you can work on your togetherness, which many of us on VJ dream of and are working (or have worked) very hard to achieve.

“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there someday.” - WTP 

Spoiler

USCIS
09/07/16: I-130 mailed
09/12/16: NOA1 email
01/11/17: Received an RFE
02/20/17 RFE Response
03/01/17: NOA2 / I-130 Approved (letter)

NVC 

03/17/17: NVC received

03/21/17: Submitted DS-261 (Online Choice of Address and Agent)

03/22/17: Received DS-261+ AOS Bill
03/22/17: AOS Bill Paid
03/27/17: Received + Paid IV Bill

04/20/17: PCC + New Birth Certificate received (took 4+ weeks)
04/25/17: Sent AOS + IV Package
06/27/17: CC confirmed on the phone (NVC)
06/28/17: Interview date confirmed on the phone (NVC)
06/30/17: P4 Letter received (via email)
07/06/17: Second identical P4 email received
07/10/17: Our case left NVC
07/13/17: Case arrived at New Delhi Consulate

07/18/17: Email received from New Delhi Embassy about Biometrics/VAC

07/18/17: Email received from New Delhi Embassy (missing Marriage Certificate - must have lost it since we included this in the RFE during the USCIS stage + got approved!)

07/18/17: Biometrics scheduled via UStraveldocs site
07/21/17: Biometrics completed

07/25/17: Medical scheduled (Max in Lajpat)

07/26/17: Medical completed (will be ready to pick up in 3-4 days)
08/01/17: Medical papers ready for pickup

08/16/17: Interview Day

08/16/17: Visa Approved - Woohoo! 💕

08/17/17: Visa issued + passport ready for pickup

08/18/17: Passport and sealed envelops picked up

08/19/17: Immigration Fee ($220) paid via ELIS
08/25/17: Plane ticket purchased (POE on Sep) 😍
09/14/17: POE at Dulles 

ROC

09/10/19: I-751 Packet sent 🤘
09/20/19: NOA I-797 received! 

Here is our Embassy review and interview details http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-dos-cis-reviews.php?entry=22377

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
36 minutes ago, Damara said:

answers are not going to be found on a public forum [...] any solution is not going to be found on VJ to their issues.

Per the above reasoning, this thread is now closed to further comments.  Do not restart this thread.  Good luck to the couple involved.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.