Angeluth12

How to move to the USA

49 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Angeluth12 said:

Just a quick question to y'all did you all became legal in America through the marriage route?

Well, a lot of us were born in the US, too. ;)

Most immigrants from VJ seem to be family-based (spouses, parents/children, even siblings) or employment-based visas.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If I can prove that I can be auto sufficient and full dependant on myself during my time in the US are things made easier for me for example if I can prove that I won't be dependant on the state and then eventually decide to work does this option exist?

You'll need the correct visa to be in the US. Like said before by others too; ask for a transfer through your current company or try for H1-B, which is temporarily. But you will have to find a company to petition for you.

Edited by Dutchster

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Angeluth12 said:

If I can prove that I can be auto sufficient and full dependant on myself during my time in the US are things made easier for me for example if I can prove that I won't be dependant on the state and then eventually decide to work does this option exist?

You can visit up to 90 days. No work.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

24 minutes ago, Angeluth12 said:

Immigration doesn't just make "things easier" for you because you have money or something..

OP, what exactly do you want?

You don't want to live in the USA forever - means that Diversity Lottery is not for you.

You want to work in the US for a little bit? Everyone already told you. Your only way is to FIND and employer who is willing to sponsor you for the Work Visa. (your family might or might not be included)

You want to visit US for a little bit and travel? Get a tourist visa, no work allowed.

You have a hell lot of money? Get an investor visa.

There is really not many options. O.o

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

You can dream big but moving to the US is not easy and it'll pop your bubble in ten seconds. Otherwise we wouldn't all be on this website. Visas exist so you can move to the US properly but you have to meet the requirements. If it was easy to move, half of the world would be living and working in the US and we all wouldn't be on this website giving advice on how to move.

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Timeline

Well I am not in a bubble neither dream land or confident in my financial circumstances, I learned as a child that in order for you to know and understand you need to ask and analyse and that's what am doing here. Indeed moving to the USA to live isn't easy as I can see very clearly anyway I will see what's best.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Not that difficult, get your employer to transfer you.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
10 hours ago, Angeluth12 said:

I will just reply to every one in one single post instead.

I am an Architect and specializing myself(Phd) in designing Zero Carbon and Sustainable Buildings( Sustainable Design Consultant basically) and my wife is an Interior Designer(also Portuguese), I am not far from being in a management position but today I'm not in a management position. Even if I move to America it would never be to live definitely but always temporary about 4 to 5 years(I don't know if that makes it easier for me and if there is a system where I can keep renovating my visa every year or so) and never to live for all my life.

I did not understand what you Patient mean when you say its easier to stay in Canada and close to the boarder (is that to make me feel close to America or something?) and to answer your other question, am not moving because of BREXIT, I am a Portuguese citizen and even though I work in the UK and have migrated here I don't have the intention of setting permanent residence here this is also a temporary "home", I like America if I move there I know I will have the opportunity to do good and explore business opportunities there and even create jobs with some of my ideas but I want to visit the country first and even if I don't live there at least I will try to make regular visits with my family to visit friends and so, and  BREXIT is causing English/British people to a foolish pride position where all of the sudden they seem to hate every one that is not from the UK, forgetting that the places where they spend 90% of their spare time(holidays) are in Europe but that's all good to me anyway (I won't discuss politics and my view on this unless someone asks ) however I don't have the patient to be in a social and nationalism fight with them as they will want to make the life of every non-UK citizen hard regardless of your contribution because they are not from "Europe" any more according to them.

What you Patient said about companies needing staff to work in other European Countries sounds good to, I do hold the same position and if you have more information about that please share as I am looking for ideas. 

And regarding the DV I will probably just try doing it to it sounds complicated but why not try !?

Just a quick question to y'all did you all became legal in America through the marriage route?

I would say 90%+ become legal theu married route bc its much easier. My grad school class alone, 8 foreigners and only 2 r still here, both married.

However. You do seem well educated. You have a heads up on most people. Many people from third world countries have no education so there only chance to get to america is thru marriage. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
7 hours ago, Roel said:

Immigration doesn't just make "things easier" for you because you have money or something..

OP, what exactly do you want?

You don't want to live in the USA forever - means that Diversity Lottery is not for you.

You want to work in the US for a little bit? Everyone already told you. Your only way is to FIND and employer who is willing to sponsor you for the Work Visa. (your family might or might not be included)

You want to visit US for a little bit and travel? Get a tourist visa, no work allowed.

You have a hell lot of money? Get an investor visa.

There is really not many options. O.o

He can srill do diversity visa, come here on a green card and if he wants in 5yrs become a dual citizen or go back and give it back...plus,  plans CHANGE! Maybe he gets divorced and finds a new american wife???

Def. Apply for the DV!!!!! Its a chance u take and if u get it go for it!!! Lots of people plan to live in america forever and in 1yr dont like it and give up the greencard, so u never know what will happen!

20 hours ago, Angeluth12 said:

I did not understand what you mean when you say "if there are no family ties between me and my family my journey is difficult", can you  explain in more detail please?

You have 0 relatives in USA

20 hours ago, Angeluth12 said:

I will just reply to every one in one single post instead.

I am an Architect and specializing myself(Phd) in designing Zero Carbon and Sustainable Buildings( Sustainable Design Consultant basically) and my wife is an Interior Designer(also Portuguese), I am not far from being in a management position but today I'm not in a management position. Even if I move to America it would never be to live definitely but always temporary about 4 to 5 years(I don't know if that makes it easier for me and if there is a system where I can keep renovating my visa every year or so) and never to live for all my life.

I did not understand what you Patient mean when you say its easier to stay in Canada and close to the boarder (is that to make me feel close to America or something?) and to answer your other question, am not moving because of BREXIT, I am a Portuguese citizen and even though I work in the UK and have migrated here I don't have the intention of setting permanent residence here this is also a temporary "home", I like America if I move there I know I will have the opportunity to do good and explore business opportunities there and even create jobs with some of my ideas but I want to visit the country first and even if I don't live there at least I will try to make regular visits with my family to visit friends and so, and  BREXIT is causing English/British people to a foolish pride position where all of the sudden they seem to hate every one that is not from the UK, forgetting that the places where they spend 90% of their spare time(holidays) are in Europe but that's all good to me anyway (I won't discuss politics and my view on this unless someone asks ) however I don't have the patient to be in a social and nationalism fight with them as they will want to make the life of every non-UK citizen hard regardless of your contribution because they are not from "Europe" any more according to them.

What you Patient said about companies needing staff to work in other European Countries sounds good to, I do hold the same position and if you have more information about that please share as I am looking for ideas. 

And regarding the DV I will probably just try doing it to it sounds complicated but why not try !?

Your original post lacked detail - a statement, no background nothing. Unlike above.

Canada - I was considering the healthcare implications for wife, child and yourself, language and possible urgency to move v timeline to get a visa.

3 People I know moved to Canada instead of the USA, changed their minds as culturally/lifestyle they felt they fitted Canada better than the USA. 

Re comment about BREXIT - is causing English/British people to a foolish pride position - this I find amusing as we sit here watching many European MEPs who seek to "punish" Britain for leaving ... Britain will have to pay £60-80 billion ,,,, 10 years of NET CONTRIBUTIONS to leave.

There is so many people who do not look at Switzerland or others, mis-conceptions of Europeans include: "I was told by a German that the UK got it wrong because of all the money spent by the EU rebuilding Britain, why are they not grateful?" ..... Britain is just banks and US consumerism, not European so better out ..... as a resident of a neutral country, you also get told things which I will not write.  

I do not think that is true, they are a net contributor and help projects with that money in Portugal and Eastern Europe. My German friend was shocked to know that unlike Germany the UK had made full contributions to NATO, so was not happy to think about who in Europe will pay for the new EU army? I told him Switzerland would not!

You are educated, pay your taxes and benefit without being a social burden to the NHS, you have English skills, so not in the category of social support and unemployed money taker (payments are not as good as Switzerland but anyone can get it in the UK from Europe which is why many take it).

You will also know BREXIT is not just about "Pride," that there is a timeline of history and trade pre-EU which is known by people still alive.

They and others regret reducing business ties with India, Australia and the USA to allow the EU to "make their trade deals for all member states."

What has happened to them? No-one knows, here in Switzerland we pride ourselves on the speed we work, the deals with Iran and other countries once we were allowed to trade, as a member of the EU we would still be waiting.

Many in Britain at our subsidiary know Switzerland, they also know it is a good concept for trade and business which was hijacked and made into something "dream state and political."

Also as a spectator watching the impact upon my family of the recent election in the USA, if you think the UK and Brexit is "pride" wait to experience USA "stubborn" ........ which is why I am glad you are taking the acquaintance trip on your own to start with. I am still learning the politics, yet laugh and recognise it went deeper than before and that some divisions in the family which will need more time to heal. 

Edited by Patient

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Patient said:

Your original post lacked detail - a statement, no background nothing. Unlike above.

Canada - I was considering the healthcare implications for wife, child and yourself, language and possible urgency to move v timeline to get a visa.

3 People I know moved to Canada instead of the USA, changed their minds as culturally/lifestyle they felt they fitted Canada better than the USA. 

Re comment about BREXIT - is causing English/British people to a foolish pride position - this I find amusing as we sit here watching many European MEPs who seek to "punish" Britain for leaving ... Britain will have to pay £60-80 billion ,,,, 10 years of NET CONTRIBUTIONS to leave.

There is so many people who do not look at Switzerland or others, mis-conceptions of Europeans include: "I was told by a German that the UK got it wrong because of all the money spent by the EU rebuilding Britain, why are they not grateful?" ..... Britain is an EU charity case like Italy? 

I do not think that is true, they are a net contributor and help projects with that money in Portugal and Eastern Europe. My German friend was shocked to know that unlike Germany the UK had made full contributions to NATO, so was not happy to think about who in Europe will pay for the new EU army? I told him Switzerland would not!

You are educated, pay your taxes and benefit without being a social burden to the NHS, you have English skills, so not in the category of social needy.

You will also know BREXIT is not just about "Pride," that there is a timeline of history and trade pre-EU which is known by people still alive. They and others regret reducing business ties with India, Australia and the USA to allow the EU to "make their trade deals for all member states." What has happened to them? No-one knows, here in Switzerland we pride ourselves on the speed we work, the deals with Iran and other countries once we were allowed to trade, as a member of the EU we would still be waiting.

Many in Britain at our subsidiary know Switzerland, they also know it is a good concept for trade and business which was hijacked and made into something "dream state and political."

Also as a spectator watching the impact upon my family of the recent election in the USA, if you think the UK and Brexit is "pride" wait to experience USA "stubborn" ........ which is why I am glad you are taking the acquaintance trip on your own to start with. I am still learning the politics, yet laugh and recognise it went deeper than before and that some divisions in the family which will need more time to heal. 

I will take a closer look at Canada as well and discuss that with my wife, thanks for the hints.

You as a Swiss will always have a different and "good being independent" view in this matter as your country as never been part of the EU anyway but member of the EEA, and is good that you(the Swiss) appreciate your independence in doing things by yourselves without the need of a regulator(EU) but I would say things for the UK are a little bit different, they joined in 1973(44 years ago) and despite what you've said about their historical trade with other countries the world has changed since those days(Will they still be able to do similar businesses? The value of the money is not the same any more, someone will have to loose in order for them to win), the UK helped(very significantly) economically speaking to create a messy and very dependant world, if we today say that we live in globalization the UK has done a great contribution in creating this world and am not sure if wanting to break apart from this messy world and become the new Switzerland can work. 

You spoke about misconceptions and like that word and allow me to tell you some things I think you don't know, you mention that the UK is not an EU charity( I don't think it is either) however there is a BUT... living in the UK and understanding the world, culture and political agenda in here I can tell you there is more EU investment here than in PORTUGAL, SPAIN, ITALY, and Easter European countries a lot more, the EU is no interested in develop these "poor" European countries, I work in the construction and engineering industry and I can tell you that many Metros, Train stations, Hospitals, and other big and small infrastructures were part and fully funded by the EU and we are not talking about small amounts of money here, there is a fund from the EU that supports the education system in this country specially in the Higher Education and 98% of the people living here do not know that once they officially leave, Student Loans will probably not exist and higher education here has been made expensive for some reason( I learnt that an uneducated society is easier to control and become subservient), and there are other very important participations of the EU over here that sustain the UK and I am curious to see if politicians will have the courage to tell the truth once they officially leave.

90% of the people that cause social burden to the NHS are not foreign but nationals, their lifestyle is destroying them physically and mentally so no wonder the NHS is struggling, Europeans here have created clinics and they prefer to go there instead of hospitals, and these kind of systems need support, for example the rich don't support the social system with their taxes(because they don't pay them and when they do they lie) but the lower, middle and SOME of the higher up class no wonder you heard about NHS being exploited as Vote to Leave campaign, and now that people voted politicians already made it clear that the NHS won't get any better because they're leaving in fact it may get worst.

I personally don't really know why the UK wanted to leave the EU and I don't have any problem with them leaving anyway, I know that the fact that they were members of the EU always deceived people to think that this was making the country poorer and as always used by rich politicians (separated from reality) as political campaigns and excuses for bad governance specially in the last 4 years, no wonder why people are realising that the talk was all a lie.

I will see if I am wiling to expose my family to American "stubbornness" like you said.

Timeline

And to add, now you have an idea of why I used the term "foolish pride", they are in a crossroad, who wants to be honest and don't allow pride to influence is thinking know it, those that are driven by pride and self interest(for example, voters that voted because they believed the house prices would go down, and this is a huge business here for some)and  are aiming for an utopia don't know it. 

Guys, can you take the discussion about Brexit pros and cons etc somewhere else please, this is a diversity lottery forum, not a political debate one.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.