bahamamama234

MEGATHREAD- What does a Trump Presidency mean for visas? (merged)

660 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

I know nothing is certain at the moment, but in case it provides some with hope, I contacted the US Consulate in Ankara (I am a US citizen engaged to a Syrian living in Turkey) and they noted that there have been no changes to the K visa processes and that we should continue to try and schedule our interview. I am not sure what the longer term implications are, but I cannot imagine that it would be easy to do away with the K visa...they may very well make it a more difficult process though.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
6 hours ago, Dutchster said:

Source; NIACounsil

This is not a drill. Tomorrow, President Trump plans to sign an Executive Order banning Iranians as well as six other Muslim-majority countries from entering the United States, according to both Congressional sources as well as media reports.

It remains unclear for how long the ban will be in place. Sources tell NIAC it could range from 30 days to several months, after which a more stringent visa application process with ideological tests will be put in place.

At this point, the trajectory should be clear to all: What started with the discriminatory Visa Waiver bill H.R. 158 in late 2015 has now evolved into a blanket ban for Iranian passport holders, only to be followed by an “ideological” test that Iranians and six other nationalities - but not others - will be subjected to. And once again, Iranian are targeted while citizens of Saudi Arabia are excluded from these measures - even though Iranians have not committed acts of terror on US soil while Saudi citizens were behind both 9/11 and other Wahhabi-inspired acts of terror.

Do you think there will be exceptions for Iranians who were born and reside in other countries? This is just depressing news. We've been patiently waiting and making life plans for when the immigration finishes and we can move to my hometown (Denver). But, with this news, I don't know what to think :(

Doha, Qatar

Met: 2011

Married: August 2014, Doha, Qatar

Filed I-130: August 25, 2016
NOA1: August 30, 2016
I-130 Approved (NOA2): March 17, 2017

NVC Scan Date: May 25, 2017

NVC Case Complete: July 17, 2017

Received P4 Letter: August 3, 2017

Interview Date: September 19, 2017

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline
8 hours ago, Jabuticaba 1 said:

It seems to me Muslims and middle east is what will be affected the most. From visas to AOS to any kind of applications ESPECIALLY REFUGEES. It seems he wants to make sure the people here share the same values as america when it comes down to religion and EVEN LGBT RIGHTS (what a surprise) He said he wants to ban EXTREMISTS. That's why he is targeting middle east.

So far he CHANGED HIS MIND ON DACA. Focusing more in what I mentioned above as it seems.

I recommend you people read this http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-suspend-immigration-iraq-countries-sources/story?id=45023800

''

Several immigration experts and congressional aides briefed on the matter told Reuters that visa holders from Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen will be primarily affected by the new order.

According to Reuters, one of Trump's executive orders will issue restrictions on refugees and is expected to include a multi-month ban on status admissions.

The ban will stay in place until the State Department and the Department of Homeland Security can come up with methods of improving and intensifying the refugee vetting process, the report notes.

''

Yeah it's a joke he hasn't tossed out DACA yet.    

I still see that coming once he rolls out the rest of this stuff and has his cabinet in place.    

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline
59 minutes ago, amoooooor said:

Do you think there will be exceptions for Iranians who were born and reside in other countries? This is just depressing news. We've been patiently waiting and making life plans for when the immigration finishes and we can move to my hometown (Denver). But, with this news, I don't know what to think :(

I would imagine if you can pass a thorough background check then all should be good.   

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
3 minutes ago, FloridaMinsk said:

Yeah it's a joke he hasn't tossed out DACA yet.    

I still see that coming once he rolls out the rest of this stuff and has his cabinet in place.    

His administration has already said that he doesn't plan on it and wants to work with them.

Hi, hope you're all well.

This site has been a godsend in terms of guides for the different steps of immigration, however I have some very 'current event' questions I hope you can answer.

Does the recently announced hiring freeze apply to the USCIS? If yes, as the workforce is depleted through retirement/alternative employment, I'm concerned that my upcoming ROC application and associated processes (i.e. temporary extension of EAD) will be affected.

If the answer to the above is "Yes";

Have concerns related to the hiring freeze been addressed by the USCIS?

If you have had an application processed recently, in your experience;

Have recent applications been processed in a relatively timely manner? I'm interested in both applicants that provided sufficient evidence first time, and those that received an RFE.

Thanks in advance :)

Thank you for your response. I did check that thread for answers, speculation and comments, however at 32 pages the thread is already quite large, and the latest posts are dominated by the announced suspension of immigration from certain countries.

I hope this thread doesn't break any rules, and I hope it can become a central location for questions, answers, concerns and updates related to the hiring freeze and it's effect on USCIS customer service.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Three more noncontributory posts have been removed.

The "USCIS Hiring Freeze" thread has been merged into this one, for logical reasons.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

22 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

The "USCIS Hiring Freeze" thread has been merged into this one, for logical reasons.

Sadly, it will receive less visibility here.

It's getting discussed in here too.

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

USCIS could slow down a little if they decide to fire people or there are people going on retirement. That's all.

Naturalization                                                        
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  

'Merica. 

If it's a part of Homeland Security, I would guess so?

Naturalization                                                        

'Merica. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.