nikkimujj

Sending Evidence with AOS (I-485) after coming on K1

44 posts in this topic

We didn't get the original back, but because I had researched AOS in advance, I requested extra copies of our marriage certificate, so we'd have an extra original to send in.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

How will you get the Original back? I thought that was a no-go?

You do not need to send the original you get back from the courts. You just need to send a copy of it, as the instructions tell you to. Have not seen anyone get an RFE for providing a copy of their correct marriage certificate document from the court. Will not believe there are unless someone provides links to these supposed RFEs people received for following the USCIS form instructions.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

I'm reading this post and i am just inclined to chip in my two cents. Especially the lines below.

If you review some past posts in the AOS forum you will see that some people are including a few wedding photos, some joint bank account info, health/auto/life insurance policies, etc. anything with both parties listed together works.

Sure, some choose to do that - but nobody ever got an RFE for not sending any of that. It also doesn't give you any benefits to do so.

The statement above is misleading and incorrect to anyone reading or going through the process of AOS as of today 11/11/16, as i can personally confirm that USCIS IN CALIFORNIA recently sent us an RFE for our I-484 or AOS process to prove our relationship was genuine and not only for immigration purpose. They are asking for evidence of " shared life together" per the letter A month after my wife arrived in the USA.

We did not include photos, joint bank statements, etc and only our marriage certificate , nor our sons birth certificate thinking out marriage certificate would be sufficient evidence as well the ones already sent to the consulate during the initial K1 visa process in her home country. Seems they scrutinize ones paperwork at every stage.

So my suggestion to OP and anyone reading this going through AOS is to not miss the opportunity to send those documents as you might receive an RFE. Carefully scrutinize things you send to USCIS and make them air tight to show a good faith marriage. I'm just starting the process to demonstrating our good faith marriage and will be sending them items and suggestions from this site below and would recommend anyone reading to do thesame.

All the best in your lifes and endeavors.

http://lawandborder.com/top-11-ways-to-prove-valid-marriage-for-immigration/

Also, the following might help

Secondary Evidences of the bona-fide marriage

Though USCIS and Consulate are liberal to the petitioner's and beneficiary's marital relationship from certain countries, it is stricter to some other countries. So, if you feel you need more evidences, please use the samples below. Some of them may not be applicable to you. Also, if you have any other evidence that is not listed, please feel free to add it. While sending to USCIS, send the copies only, because the same will be needed at the Consulate interview later.

USCIS defined secondary evidences

1) Documentation showing joint ownership or property

2) Lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence

3) Documentation showing co-mingling of financial resources

4) Birth certificate(s) of child(ren) born to the petitioner and the beneficiary

5) Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship

6) Any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing marital union

Sample secondary evidences

Asset purchase documentation such as home, car etc. under both names such as joint titles, joint names in car registration

Joint loans together in mortgage, auto etc.

Lease of the home, car etc. under both names

Joint bank account in petitioner's and/or beneficiary's country

Stocks, mutual funds, retirement funds documentation together

Credit, Debit, ATM card details under both names

Money transfer documentation that shows spousal support

Life Insurance Policy under both the petitioner and the beneficiary names

Will prepared by the petitioner and/or the beneficiary showing other as beneficiary

If marriage happened in prior year, income tax filing together

Joint church tax statements

Joint invoices - utility bills such as phone, electricity, water, gas, internet, cable TV etc.

New born child's birth certificate, passport etc.

New born child's hospital records that shows both parents names and expenses incurred together

Petitioner and beneficiary's child(ren)'s school records, school report cards etc.

Baptism certificate of child(ren) of the petitioner and the beneficiary

Notarized affidavits from parents, relatives etc. to show that they knew and participated in the marriage

Third party letters with date, name, relationship, contact phone#, address etc., those who attended the marriage mainly from parents, relatives, friends etc.

Personal notarized affidavits that describe how the relationship is evolved like first meeting, who arranged the meeting, how long you knew each other before marriage, how is the relationship until now etc.

All the dated trips of the petitioner and/or the beneficiary to meet each other - passport stamps, plane tickets, boarding passes etc.

Tickets, invoices, boarding passes of honeymoon trip(s) that shows both persons' name together with the date

Hotel receipts, Rental car receipts, Gift receipts or any other miscellaneous receipts of the expenses incurred between the petitioner and the beneficiary

Wedding ring and other wedding related gifts' receipts

Auto Insurance Policy under both the petitioner and the beneficiary names

Health Insurance Policy under both the petitioner and the beneficiary names

Dated pictures together - Before marriage, Wedding Album, pictures taken in every occasion

Marriage invitation card

Marriage documentation of the religious ceremony from church, mosque, temple etc.

Phone logs

Chat logs

Emails

Greeting cards such as Christmas cards, Anniversary cards, Birthday cards etc.

Joint memberships like Sams, Costco, AAA, fitness etc.

Driver's license, State ID that shows the same address

Invitation of any function or ceremony stating both names

Wedding program order of service/event

Junk mails received under both of you at the same address

Magazine subscriptions under both names

Pet adoption records with both names

Timeline

I'm reading this post and i am just inclined to chip in my two cents. Especially the lines below.

LionessDeon, on 10 Oct 2016 - 4:36 PM, said:snapback.png

If you review some past posts in the AOS forum you will see that some people are including a few wedding photos, some joint bank account info, health/auto/life insurance policies, etc. anything with both parties listed together works.

Sure, some choose to do that - but nobody ever got an RFE for not sending any of that. It also doesn't give you any benefits to do so.

The statement above is misleading and incorrect to anyone reading or going through the process of AOS as of today 11/11/16, as i can personally confirm that USCIS IN CALIFORNIA recently sent us an RFE for our I-484 or AOS process to prove our relationship was genuine and not only for immigration purpose. They are asking for evidence of " shared life together" per the letter A month after my wife arrived in the USA.

We did not include photos, joint bank statements, etc and only our marriage certificate , nor our sons birth certificate thinking out marriage certificate would be sufficient evidence as well the ones already sent to the consulate during the initial K1 visa process in her home country. Seems they scrutinize ones paperwork at every stage.

So my suggestion to OP and anyone reading this going through AOS is to not miss the opportunity to send those documents as you might receive an RFE. Carefully scrutinize things you send to USCIS and make them air tight to show a good faith marriage. I'm just starting the process to demonstrating our good faith marriage and will be sending them items and suggestions from this site below and would recommend anyone reading to do thesame.

All the best in your lifes and endeavors.

http://lawandborder....or-immigration/

Also, the following might help

Secondary Evidences of the bona-fide marriage

Though USCIS and Consulate are liberal to the petitioner's and beneficiary's marital relationship from certain countries, it is stricter to some other countries. So, if you feel you need more evidences, please use the samples below. Some of them may not be applicable to you. Also, if you have any other evidence that is not listed, please feel free to add it. While sending to USCIS, send the copies only, because the same will be needed at the Consulate interview later.

USCIS defined secondary evidences

1) Documentation showing joint ownership or property

2) Lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence

3) Documentation showing co-mingling of financial resources

4) Birth certificate(s) of child(ren) born to the petitioner and the beneficiary

5) Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship

6) Any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing marital union

Sample secondary evidences

Asset purchase documentation such as home, car etc. under both names such as joint titles, joint names in car registration

Joint loans together in mortgage, auto etc.

Lease of the home, car etc. under both names

Joint bank account in petitioner's and/or beneficiary's country

Stocks, mutual funds, retirement funds documentation together

Credit, Debit, ATM card details under both names

Money transfer documentation that shows spousal support

Life Insurance Policy under both the petitioner and the beneficiary names

Will prepared by the petitioner and/or the beneficiary showing other as beneficiary

If marriage happened in prior year, income tax filing together

Joint church tax statements

Joint invoices - utility bills such as phone, electricity, water, gas, internet, cable TV etc.

New born child's birth certificate, passport etc.

New born child's hospital records that shows both parents names and expenses incurred together

Petitioner and beneficiary's child(ren)'s school records, school report cards etc.

Baptism certificate of child(ren) of the petitioner and the beneficiary

Notarized affidavits from parents, relatives etc. to show that they knew and participated in the marriage

Third party letters with date, name, relationship, contact phone#, address etc., those who attended the marriage mainly from parents, relatives, friends etc.

Personal notarized affidavits that describe how the relationship is evolved like first meeting, who arranged the meeting, how long you knew each other before marriage, how is the relationship until now etc.

All the dated trips of the petitioner and/or the beneficiary to meet each other - passport stamps, plane tickets, boarding passes etc.

Tickets, invoices, boarding passes of honeymoon trip(s) that shows both persons' name together with the date

Hotel receipts, Rental car receipts, Gift receipts or any other miscellaneous receipts of the expenses incurred between the petitioner and the beneficiary

Wedding ring and other wedding related gifts' receipts

Auto Insurance Policy under both the petitioner and the beneficiary names

Health Insurance Policy under both the petitioner and the beneficiary names

Dated pictures together - Before marriage, Wedding Album, pictures taken in every occasion

Marriage invitation card

Marriage documentation of the religious ceremony from church, mosque, temple etc.

Phone logs

Chat logs

Emails

Greeting cards such as Christmas cards, Anniversary cards, Birthday cards etc.

Joint memberships like Sams, Costco, AAA, fitness etc.

Driver's license, State ID that shows the same address

Invitation of any function or ceremony stating both names

Wedding program order of service/event

Junk mails received under both of you at the same address

Magazine subscriptions under both names

Pet adoption records with both names

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Just a month after entering on a K-1 Visa and you received an RFE for "shared life together" - INCREDIBLE!

I mean, just after 1 month of entering... how much could you possibly have... please keep us posted and let us know the outcome. Good luck!!

Maria ~ U.S. Citizen

K-1 & K-2 Process (Completed in 4 mos. 8 days)

1/19/16: I-129F Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight

4/1/16: NOA2 Approval :dancing:

5/17/16: Interview :star: - APPROVED :dance:

5/25/16 Visas in hand! :thumbs: 

8/5/16: Wedding (L)

AOS/EAD/AP Process, K-1 & K-2 (Completed in 4 mos. 15 days)

9/21/16: Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight [Day 1]

10/24/16: AOS Cases (I-864) RFIE recv'd hardcopy [Day 29]

12/23/16: AOS Case Status Updates - Interview Scheduled, text recv'd [Day 94] :dancing:

1/17/17: EAD/AP Combo Card recv'd via USPS Priority Mail [Day 119]

1/27/17: AOS Interview :star: - APPROVED!! :dance:  [Day 129 / 120 w/ 9day RFIE delay]

1/27/17: AOS Case status update - Approved | 1/31/17: New Card in Production | 2/1/17: Card Was Mailed

2/4/17: Green Cards Arrived :thumbs:

ROC Process, Spouse & 2 Step-Sons (Completed in 23 mos. 22 days)

1/25/19: Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight [Day 1]

1/29/19: NOA notice date, text & email recv'd, routed to CSC

2/1/19: NOA 18mo. Extension Letter arrived in the mail, for wife only [Day 7]

3/13/19: Filed SR for non-receipt of NOA for I-751A dependents [Day 48] | 3/21/19: Recv'd NOA for 2 stepsons [Day 56]

4/29/19: Biometrics (Scheduled) Appt Completed [Day 95]

8/28/20: Case Status Update - RFE [Day 582 ~ 19 mos. 4 days] | 11/20/20: Case Status Update - RFE response recv'd [Day 666 ~ 21 mos. 27 days]

1/7/21: Case Status Update - New Card in Production :dance: [Day 714 ~ 23 mos. 14 days] 

1/15/21: Green Cards Arrived :thumbs:[Day 722 ~ 23 mos. 22 days]

All done for now! :)

Timeline

just a month after entering on a K-1 Visa and you received an RFE for "shared life together" - INCREDIBLE!

I mean, just after 1 month of entering... how much could you possibly have... please keep us posted and let us know the outcome. Good luck!!

Hi Maria, in response to your statement, the USCIS letter actually wants evidence from a month she entered the country until present.

In sum. it has been about 8 months as of today. Sorry for any misunderstanding on my path. That would be harsh on them to subject petitioners and beneficiaries to provide evidence of a bona fide/ good faith marriage within 30 days.

I'll keep you posted on when her green arrives or if there's a decision made regardless if you care. Cheers.

Timeline

Since they started sending off interview waiver cases to various offices across the country, there have been some RFEs asking for the same types of financial co-mingling and co-habitation that people are often asked for when having an interview. Some people are also getting erroneous RFEs asking for a new medical that is not required of K-1 adjustment applicants. However, there are still people getting approved without interview on just what they sent with their initial I-485. No extras, just what the form requires.

As was pretty much ran into the ground a few times over in this thread and others, no other evidence of marriage/relationship is required with the initial I-485 submission. If you want to send extras, then go ahead. If you want to wait and see if you get an interview or RFE before providing those documents, then do so. No one is forcing anyone one way or the other. People were just pointing out the fact that they are not an actual requirement of the I-485 initial submission.

From the I-485 instructions, Page 6>

Requests for More Information, Including Biometrics, or
Interview

We may request more information or evidence or we may
request that you appear at a USCIS office for an interview.

We may also request that you provide the originals of any
copies you submit. We will return these originals when they
are no longer needed.

After you file your application, you may be notified to appear
at a USCIS office to answer questions about the application.
You will be required to answer these questions under oath or
affirmation. You must bring your Arrival-Departure Record
(Form I-94) and any passport or official travel document you
have to the interview.

At the time of any interview or other appearance at a USCIS
office, USCIS may require that you provide biometrics
information (e.g., photographs, fingerprints) to verify your
identity and update your background information.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

OP,

To answer your original question "What did everyone else send along with the AOS?" here's what my husband sent:

• G-1145
  • Payment in the amount of $1070.00.
  • I-485 with accompanying documentation:
    • Photocopy of the biographical page of his Brazilian passport
    • Photocopy of the K-1 visa page of his passport
    • Photocopy of I-797, Notice of action from U.S. spouse’s I-129F Petition
    • I-94
    • Photocopy of his birth certificate and translation
    • Original marriage certificate (The instructions say a photocopy is acceptable, but we had seen other cases on VJ where an RFE was issued because an original was not sent, so we decided not to risk an RFE and sent an original)
    • Two passport-style photos
  • G-325A and Supplement: Applicant’s employment last 5 years
  • I-693 with a photocopy of DS-3025 (He needed a flu shot to complete his immunizations)
  • I-864 with accompanying documentation:
  • Photocopy of U.S. spouse’s birth certificate
  • Photocopies of U.S. spouse’s IRS tax transcripts for the previous 3 years
  • A letter of employment from U.S. spouse’s employer
  • Photocopies of U.S. spouse’s Statement of Earnings for the last 6 months
  • I-765 with accompanying documentation:
  • I-131 and Supplement: Part 7. Complete Only If Applying for Advance Parole
    • I-94

We did not receive an RFE, and our case was forwarded to California for processing--we never had an I-485 interview.

Hope this helps.

Good luck in your journey!!

This helps me so much! What did the paper look like for the immunizations, the 693? The only thing my husband received was a form saying he completed everything but there is no number on it and a list by the doctor of the immunizations that he received.

This helps me so much! What did the paper look like for the immunizations, the 693? The only thing my husband received was a form saying he completed everything but there is no number on it and a list by the doctor of the immunizations that he received.

I'm not sure whether you are asking about Form I-693 (filled out by the Civil Surgeon here in the U.S.) or form DS-3025 (filled out by the Panel Physician in the applicant's home country) so I'm including both.

The Panel Physician in Brazil gave my husband the attached DS-3025 at the conclusion of his medical exam DS-3025.pdf.

Here's a link to Form I-693. https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-693.pdf

Before going to the Civil Surgeon's office we filled in Part 1. The Civil Surgeon should fill in Part 4 and Part 7, but. of course, we didn't see that since she handed us the form in a sealed envelope at the end of the appointment.

Timeline

Pinned thread > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/551080-immunizations-ds-3025-or-i-693/

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 10/11/2016 at 1:13 PM, Nathan&Emily said:

If you're applying for AOS from K-1 after being in the country for 90 days (or often less) then chances are you won't even HAVE most of the proof required to frontload the application. I couldn't go on our rental agreement as I had no credit to run and wasn't in the country when the lease was signed. I couldn't get the joint bank account until my SS# was through which was almost to the point I was applying for AOS anyway. I can't see that it makes any difference at all having the extra info as all the AOS needs is proof that you've got married within 90 days and are applying together. The big proof is going to be for the ROC when proving its bonafide and you've had time to build the evidence of a life together.

I'm about to apply for AOS and as much as I'd like to front load, I don't have my SSN yet, as they're ironing out some kinks and the bank won't let him add me to his account because I don't have my SSN yet. I can't be put on the mortgage because I don't have a job, etc. So I'm also just sending in my marriage certificate. I agree, there isn't much to show. I've only been here a little less than 2 months. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 minutes ago, KristineGB said:

I'm about to apply for AOS and as much as I'd like to front load, I don't have my SSN yet, as they're ironing out some kinks and the bank won't let him add me to his account because I don't have my SSN yet. I can't be put on the mortgage because I don't have a job, etc. So I'm also just sending in my marriage certificate. I agree, there isn't much to show. I've only been here a little less than 2 months. 

It's not required to send evidence of bona fide marriage with the I-485. From what I've seen here on Visa Journey, not a lot of people front load their AOS and they do just fine.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, Soon To Be Mrs. T said:

It's not required to send evidence of bona fide marriage with the I-485. From what I've seen here on Visa Journey, not a lot of people front load their AOS and they do just fine.

Yep. Was agreeing to not front loading. :) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.