simonschus

Any problems using Global Entry on a 2-year Conditional Green Card?

15 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Has anybody had any problem with using Global Entry to enter the US, whilst on a conditional 2-year Green card?

I was already approved for Global Entry when I used it on the VWP, and I'm going to a Global Entry enrolment centre soon to update my immigration document (i.e. getting to put my Green card into their system, rather than my UK passport).

I was unsure whether the conditional nature on the Green card has any impact on using Global entry, or whether I might receive the 'X' the first time i use the kiosk upon reentry. Note, I didn't ever have a X when I first used it on the VWP.

Simon.

P.S. In my instance, the conditional green card is after adjusting from a K1 visa.

Edited by simonschus

P.S. For anybody else that ever needs to update Global Entry from a VWP to a Green card, then the broad guidance is here. Basically, you visit a Global Entry Enrolment Centre near you *prior* to trying to use it again to enter the country.

Edited by simonschus

I was approved for global entry using the conditional green card and have made several international trips since, with no issues whatsoever. Once you get the ten year green card, you will not be required to visit an enrollment center. You will just need to update the new green card's expiry date online.

Good news :) I didn't have trouble when using it on the VWP but obviously didn't know for conditional Green card... so your experiences are helpful. Looking forward to going back to the enrollment centre when the conditional, 2-year Green Card is in my hands hopefully in the next week or two (currently waiting for it to be sent out).

Prior to going through adjustment, it saved a fair bit of time and stress :)

One question for you though Happy Chic: From the timeline in your message signature, it looks like it took more than a year to remove conditions. I think I understand the process well-enough but I apologise if not. However... when you applied to remove your conditions, presumably USCIS extended your existing Green Card for another year. Did you need to update your Global Entry with the extended 1-year information? Or didn't ever need to update it, until you got the 10 year GC?

Simon.

Edited by simonschus

Good news :) I didn't have trouble when using it on the VWP but obviously didn't know for conditional Green card... so your experiences are helpful. Looking forward to going back to the enrollment centre when the conditional, 2-year Green Card is in my hands hopefully in the next week or two (currently waiting for it to be sent out).

Prior to going through adjustment, it saved a fair bit of time and stress :)

One question for you though Happy Chic: From the timeline in your message signature, it looks like it took more than a year to remove conditions. I think I understand the process well-enough but I apologise if not. However... when you applied to remove your conditions, presumably USCIS extended your existing Green Card for another year. Did you need to update your Global Entry with the extended 1-year information? Or didn't ever need to update it, until you got the 10 year GC?

Simon.

So you shouldn't have any trouble using the 2YR GC and GE. I came in many times without issue. However there is a caveat. Regardless of conditional GC or not, once your GC is within 3 months of expiry (or maybe 6), you will not be able to be processed through a kiosk. At least that's what happened to me - once I scanned my GC linked with my GE, the kiosk prompted me to go to a officer. Now I forget if he told me the cutoff was 3 months or 6, but I was within 3, and didn't travel within 6.

I assume the rule is universal, i.e. if you're on the VWP, and your passport is to expire with 3/6 months it would prompt you to see an agent, essentially whatever is required for entry. So I would also assume once you switch you GE association from your VWP passport to your GC, you'll have the same issue. Haven't tried myself, but I'm under the assumption that the 1YR extension would not be automatically associated with your GC. And since it can't be scanned, probably won't be accepted at a GE kiosk. Never tried though. If you choose to, please let us know how it goes.

Cheers!

AOS

03/08/2014 (Day 000) AOS package sent to Chicago Lockbox including - I-130/I-485/I-765/I-131
05/12/2014 (Day 060) Successful walk-in biometrics completed at Varick ST ASC

05/14/2014 (Day 062) Received text and e-mail notifications that I-485 status updated to "Testing and Interview"

07/25/2014 (Day 135) Went in for interview - was fairly straightforward

08/02/2014 (Day 143) Green Card in hand

ROC

05/24/2016 (Day 000) ROC package sent to VSC

06/24/2016 (Day 031) Early Walk-in biometrics completed

10/06/2016 (Day 135) Got I-551 stamp in passport

05/01/2017 (Day 342) ROC Approved - didn't get notification, hard copy received 05/05? 

05/15/2017 (Day 356) Received 10Y Green Card in Mail

N400

05/24/2017 (Day 000) N400 package sent to Dallas/Lewisville Lockbox

06/09/2017 (Day 016) Received biometrics appointment notice for 06/20/2017, Early walk-in on 06/12

11/13/2018 (Day 538) In-line for interview

11/27/2018 (Day 552) Interview scheduled for 01/03/2019

01/03/2019 (Day 589) Interview passed at Federal Plaza and recommended for approval

So you shouldn't have any trouble using the 2YR GC and GE. I came in many times without issue. However there is a caveat. Regardless of conditional GC or not, once your GC is within 3 months of expiry (or maybe 6), you will not be able to be processed through a kiosk. At least that's what happened to me - once I scanned my GC linked with my GE, the kiosk prompted me to go to a officer. Now I forget if he told me the cutoff was 3 months or 6, but I was within 3, and didn't travel within 6.

I assume the rule is universal, i.e. if you're on the VWP, and your passport is to expire with 3/6 months it would prompt you to see an agent, essentially whatever is required for entry. So I would also assume once you switch you GE association from your VWP passport to your GC, you'll have the same issue. Haven't tried myself, but I'm under the assumption that the 1YR extension would not be automatically associated with your GC. And since it can't be scanned, probably won't be accepted at a GE kiosk. Never tried though. If you choose to, please let us know how it goes.

Cheers!

That is an excellent insight and exactly the types of issue I am interested in. I'm two years away from ROC so I won't be able to update myself but will try to remember this thread if I ever find out the answer! Even in two years time, it'll be almost time to renew my GE anyway haha

Thank you so much MnMJourney.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I used my GE just fine until my card expired, now I'm waiting for the 10-year. Tried to use it, but when it scans it scans the expiration date so no dice :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I was approved for global entry using the conditional green card and have made several international trips since, with no issues whatsoever. Once you get the ten year green card, you will not be required to visit an enrollment center. You will just need to update the new green card's expiry date online.

We did the update of the expiration date online, but my spouse hasn't left the country since before the ROC process started. We were wondering if we had to stop by an enrollment center to update any of the information, so thanks for answering the question. I assume you've reentered the US using the new, 10-year card and used the kiosks without issues after only updating the expiration date online?

However, once my spouse has a US passport in hand after she finishes the naturalization process, I believe we need to go in and have a USCBP officer update the documents on her account?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Nope no problem, been back and forth between US and Canada several times, no issues. When I went to update my Trusted Traveler card with my GC info, the officer did say that all I needed to scan in the machine was my Green Card, everything would be linked to that. In fact both cards (Global entry card and GC card) work in the machine when passing through US customers....but not on the Canadian side...just the Global entry card works. ( makes sense, but was a bit confusing the first time around)

Do you have to apply for global entry when on a 10 year green card?

Nope :) It is an optional program so you'd need to assess whether it has benefits that you'd value for the cost.

Tn fact, here is no need to apply for Global Entry ever, unless you want the benefits (see the Global Entry website for more details, though some of the benefits are described here). I used it on my trips prior to coming over on a K1 visa because I was travelling over so often and citizens from home country were eligible to apply for it on the Visa Waiver Program. I valued the benefits so I applied (and was approved).

If you don't apply for it then there is no loss, there is no requirement at all. You can apply for it at any time assuming you're eligible, including when you're entering on a VWP assuming you're from the country, when you're on a 2-year conditional Green card (given the experiences above), when you're on a 10-year Green card, after you're naturalized as a US Citizen, or... never haha. :)

It is an entirely optional program which you have to renew every 5 days (current cost if $100 every 5 years, perhaps it costs a bit extra if you're on a Visa Waiver Program as the home country might charge you a fee to do some processing for you as they did with me in the UK).

Simon.

Edited by simonschus

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Little update on the Global Entry Program. If your 2 year GC has expired you cannot use the Kiosk. Also at JFK, you cannot use the new computers access when you have a 2 year expired GC (with extension letter). However, if you go with your spouse, you can go together to the the Immigration Officer assigned for USC

On 2/17/2018 at 3:31 PM, NYCruiser said:

Little update on the Global Entry Program. If your 2 year GC has expired you cannot use the Kiosk. Also at JFK, you cannot use the new computers access when you have a 2 year expired GC (with extension letter). However, if you go with your spouse, you can go together to the the Immigration Officer assigned for USC

Really sucks that my husband will miss out on a full year of Global Entry during this ROC waiting period. That's somewhat good news about accompanying their USC spouse, though. Do you have personal experience doing this? 

I wrote a full detailed account of our AOS process, timeline, AP use, and interview on my blog. You can read it here.

Read our experience clearing immigration with an expired green card and extension letter here.

F-1 AOS Journey

Spoiler

10/05/15 - Mailed AOS Package (I-130, I-485, I-864, I-693, I-131, I-765, G-325As, G-1145)

10/07/15 - AOS Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox

10/14/15 - Received four NOA1s via e-mail & text notifications that USCIS received our case. Routed to National Benefits Center for processing

10/15/15 - Checks cashed

10/19/15 - Received four hard copies of NOA1s in the mail

10/23/15 - Received biometrics appointment in the mail. Scheduled for 11/03

10/26/15 - Failed early walk-in attempt for biometrics at Boston location

11/03/15 - Biometrics appointment in Boston

11/10/15 - AOS case status changed to "Ready to be scheduled for interview"

12/21/15 - EAD/AP approved

12/24/15 - EAD/AP mailed

12/30/15 - EAD/AP delivered

03/17/16 - Interview scheduled for April 20th

04/20/16 - AOS Inteview - Boston, MA - APPROVED!

04/25/16 - Approval notice received in the mail

04/26/16 - Green card mailed

04/29/16 - Green card delivered

ROC

Spoiler

02/20/18 - Mailed I-751 Package

02/23/18 - I-751 delivered to CSC

02/28/18 - Check cashed

03/02/18 - NOA1 received in the mail

05/12/18 - Notice that previous biometrics will be reused

08/24/18 - Received 18 month extension letter (courtesy copy)

10/22/18 - Received the "revised notice" with the correct 18 month extension letter--on green paper this time.

02/27/19 - Card mailed notification via Case Tracker mobile app

03/01/19 - Both approval letter and new green card delivered

N-400

Spoiler

03/02/19 - Filed N-400 online

03/02/19 - NOA1 via online portal

03/09/19 - Biometrics scheduled

03/12/19 - Biometrics appointment appeared in Documents tab in online USCIS account

03/13/19 - Successful early walk-in for biometrics 

11/13/19 - Interview

Seizetheglobe.com

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Yes indeed I understand. I did have personal experience both coming in at LAX and JFK. Basically, his green card will not work at the GE Kiosks or any other kiosks unfortunately. Neither will it work at Delta or American airlines or other check in. However, it is very important as proof of residency together with that letter of extension. 

At LAX, we both had to wait our turn, thankfully, we were directed to the USC line together, half asleep, from a 21 hour flight from Australia. At JFK,  they have a marvelous line of brand new computers, separate from the GE kiosks. Of course, his expired Green card would not scan since it is expired. My USC passport worked of course and the computer spat out a slip of paper. The attendant told us to go to the shortest line and we were processed in less than 2 minutes

Terminal 4 was certainly impressive. Two B777's arrived together, but the hall cleared in less than half an hour due to those computers.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.