FOSSLGRL

Very annoyed with this RFE... not sure exactly what to send!

31 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I don't have time to read everyone's response sorry, but did anyone mentioned that BOTH petitioner and beneficiary should write and sign these letters of intent? If you sent only letter from yourself, that's not enough.

- Victor from Russia

Yes someone did mention that, but from what I could understand from the first post the RFE was only for the letter of intent from the beneficiary, not the petitioner. So I assume they lost the beneficiary's but still has the petitioner's.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to K1 Progress Forum~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes someone did mention that, but from what I could understand from the first post the RFE was only for the letter of intent from the beneficiary, not the petitioner. So I assume they lost the beneficiary's but still has the petitioner's.

Exactly, thank you. We did send both. For some reason, they are re-requesting mine. That's the part I find frustrating.

So I will re-send it with some e-mail exchanges regarding our wedding plans.

I have another question.

On his initial visit to Canada to meet me, he came with cash only so he has 0 bank records that would indicate he was here. But I do have the reservation email from the bed and breakfast he booked since that was initially booked online. Will that count as evidence? I'm having fiancee double check his passport to see if it was stamped when he came up here initially, and if so that would coincide with the bed and breakfast reservation, would that constitute proof?

Also, while I was down in the US staying with him, we flew together to Seattle. I have an Expedia reservation in both of our names. But I don't have copies of the actual flight tickets... will the reservation itself be enough to prove that we've met?

Thanks again everyone for all the replies and advice!

Edited by FOSSLGRL

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I know that the Australian Immigration Department (DIAC) will send me a copy of my ins and outs of Australia if I send in the proper form. Since they don't stamp passports anymore, that's the only way to prove when I've been in the country. Don't know if Canada or the US can do that for you...

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

I know that the Australian Immigration Department (DIAC) will send me a copy of my ins and outs of Australia if I send in the proper form. Since they don't stamp passports anymore, that's the only way to prove when I've been in the country. Don't know if Canada or the US can do that for you...

Sukie in NY

Thanks Sukie.

Funny, I had forgotten until I read your post... about a year ago (for different reasons) I requested and received from FOIA a document with all my ins and outs of the US. It took a few months to receive it back then... but I can dig it out of my emails. So at least I'm covered.

But my fiance doesn't have anything like that. And he double checked his passport, unfortunately it did not get stamped on his initial visit up here for our first meeting. If he were to obtain the same information from FOIA it would take too long.

But, I have the bnb reservation, AND, I have a bank record from that same time period where I exchanged his US cash into CDN cash. So I'll be including that.

I'm also going to get an affidavit from each of my parents indicating that we stayed there with them for two months and also borrowed their beach house in Florida for a week.

Plus any emails I can find from those time periods which would verify that we were in fact there at the time.

For the proof of intent to marry... I have email exchanges I can use, but I'm also going to get an affidavit from fiancee's best friend indicating that he asked him to be best man. And his best friends wife, I had asked her to be my maid of honor, so I will get an affidavit from her indicating that as well.

lol... I worked for the gov't for 7 years in Canada. I know all too well how they can be with losing stuff... or needing a piece of paper just for formality sake, so they can tick a box, stamp your paperwork, and send it on to the next person. US gov't doesn't seem much different at all in that regard. Face it, they know already that we have met based on the pictures I sent. But the policy states we must include different evidence to be processed. So be it!

I have my day cut out for me that's for sure.

Basically what I'm doing is writing out a detailed timeline as was suggested earlier in this thread, and including documents/bits of evidence as I go. I am confident I have enough info now, just gotta put it all together into a neat package...

cheers all.

Edited by FOSSLGRL

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

You said you sent an intent to marry letter from only you, both the petitioner AND beneficiary are required to send a letter of intent

They did send a letter of intent from both beneficiary and petitioner, but the RFE was only about the letter of intent from the beneficiary. So obviously USCIS lost hers but not the USC's.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Timeline

You said you sent an intent to marry letter from only you, both the petitioner AND beneficiary are required to send a letter of intent

No, I didn't say that at all. Re-read what I actually wrote.

I said that they are requesting the proof from me (beneficiary) of intent to marry and that I had already sent it. I sent one for both of us.

I never mentioned anything about the petitioner's letter of intent to marry, because it's irrelevant, since it was already sent and they are not asking for that in the RFE.

Edited by FOSSLGRL

Timeline

One more thing I just realized, my fiance had his passport issued for the sole purpose of coming up to Canada to meet me. The issue date was just two weeks before we met in person. Not sure if that will help, but I'm going to include it anyways.

Timeline

You stated that you lived with him for 6 months- did you have any mail sent to his home?

I had the occasional amazon parcel but I usually had them sent to my parents house, not too far away. I will have fiancee double check though if there might be something in the computer desk with my name on it.

The apartment people couldn't register me as a resident because I didn't have residential status in the US... so I was considered a visitor and only supposed to stay there no more than 14 days at a time, with one night in between spent elsewhere like at my parents etc. I didn't want to break the rules or have them give us any trouble if they started seeing mail arriving under my name. The apartment has a fully staffed front desk and they filter all the mail before it goes into the boxes.

One thing I also want to clarify because it might have caused some confusion... although I am Canadian and from Canada, my parents do live in the US and have for the last 10 years... They have dual citizenship. It's a coincidence that John and I ended up wanting to settle in the same city as them. John was born in Nashville. He lived in Seattle when I met him though. His ex wife essentially forced him to leave town (through threats of making false claims to police etc.) and we ended up having an extended visit at my parents house in Nashville, but we liked it so much that John decided to get a job there and shortly after, his own apartment. It was a new beginning for us both.

Anyways, this is a copy/paste of the cover letter/itemized list of items I am including in part 1 of the package. Part 1 is evidence that we have met in person:

1. Timeline of events outlining Jenna and John's time spent together in person
  2. Copy of John’s passport page with issue date
  3. Reservation details for John and Jenna’s Bed and Breakfast on Vancouver Island
  4. Jenna’s bank statement showing conversion of US cash to CDN funds
  5. FOIA document indicating Jenna crossed border into US on May 27th 2015
  6. Affidavit from Jenna’s mother indicating that John and Jenna stayed at her home in Brentwood, Tennessee
  7. Affidavit from Jenna’s father indicating that John and Jenna stayed at his home in Brentwood, Tennessee
  8. Flight itinerary for John and Jenna’s trip to Seattle in September 2015
  9. Hotel reservation for John and Jenna’s trip to Seattle in September 2015
  10. Email exchanges between John and Jenna showing they were staying together in John’s apartment
  11. Affidavit from ##### indicating John and Jenna spent time together at her home on multiple occasions

Each piece of evidence has an entry on the timeline I am including.

The email exchanges are somewhat invasive, so I hope they don't mind hearing about how he cut me with his toenails in bed or how I burnt his dinner. LOL

For part 2 of the package, evidence that I intend to marry him, this is what I've included:

1. Affidavit from beneficiary Jenna ###### indicating intent to marry
  2. Various email exchanges between Jenna and family in which wedding plans were discussed
  3. Affidavit from ###### who was selected to be best man at the wedding
  4. Affidavit from ###### who was selected to be maid of honor at the wedding

Although I am sure they just lost my initial letter of intent, I don't want to make any assumptions, so I included everything else I could think of as far as proving I intend to marry him.

I have everything together already, just have to go to the bank to print out the bank record, then it's time to rock n roll.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Your documentation of meeting in person seems pretty solid now. And yes, they would probably just accept another statement of intent to marry, but no harm in sending more along with it. Good luck!

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Your documentation of meeting in person seems pretty solid now. And yes, they would probably just accept another statement of intent to marry, but no harm in sending more along with it. Good luck!

Thanks! :)

The online status of our application was adjusted on the 18th to indicate that they received our response.

Our timeline estimates between Sep 2 - 7 that we will hear back for our NOA2.

Here's to hoping it's no later than that... or that it goes faster. We responded to them in three days lol.

Timeline

Our case was approved on Friday the 26th.

This site is a godsend.

Thanks for the help everyone!

On the final stretch...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.