ctracker

Unable to schedule an Infopass appointment for NYC- need assistance

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Laos
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Situation: I am unable to get infopass appointment, every time I punch in the search using my zip code, I received a message that currently there are no available appointments and to check in again later.

Background: I-751 filed Jun 2015, case is still pending, the green card will expire in Sep 2016. I need to prove to employer that I am still "in status", legal, and can continue to work. I read that I need to get an Infopass appointment at the local office to get my passport stamped with I-551 to validate my status.

1. Can I just walk into the local office at Federal Plaza with no infopass appointment?

2. When is the best time to go online to schedule Infopass appointment?

Appreciate your assistance with this matter!

Timeline

Hi Happy Chic, thank you so much for your information. I will try to check it out during non peak hours. I only have about a month before the card will expire.

Field offices don't like people going without appointments and most likely, you won't be let in.

Have you tried looking for appointments at odd hours and weekdays? I think it would be harder to find appointments Fridays - Sundays when everyone else is trying to schedule. Also I'd try hours like very early in the morning or very late at night. Finding InfoPass appointments are often a gamble.

Remember that it doesn't have to be your local office.

I gave up as I was literally finding nothing available, and yet I found one relatively quickly on the opposite side of the country for a time when I happened to be there anyway.

It is a silly system but no alternative unfortunately

CR1 / DCF (London): 2012 / 2013 (4 months from I-130 petition to visa in hand)

I-751 #1- April 2015 [Denied]

April 2015 : I-751 Joint filing package sent fedex next day 09:00am from UK ($lots - thanks). 
Jan 2017: Notification that an interview has been scheduled at a local office. Bizarrely still no RFE... 
Jan 2017: 2hr wait, then interview terminated before it began, due to moving my ID to another state 2 wks prior. New interview 'in a few months...maybe.'   Informed them that divorce proceedings are underway, but not finalised at this time. 
March 2017: An Interview was scheduled - marked as no-show as they didn't actually send out a notification of interview. FML 
April  2017: Filed an official complaint with the ombudsman, and have requested Senator & Congressman assistance
August 2017: Interview - switched to a (finalised) divorce waiver. Told that decision will be made that afternoon, but no problems foreseen with my case. 
October 2017: Letter of Denial received - reason given as 'I-751 petition was not properly filed'. Discovered ex-spouse made false allegations to USCIS in 2015. No opportunity given to review & refute allegations  - contrary to USCIS policy.

I-751 #2 - Oct 2017 - Mar 2021[Denied] 

October 2017: Within 72hrs of receiving denial notice, a new waiver I-751, divorce decree & $680 cheque, sent to Vermont via FedEx overnight 9am priority.  
Dec 2019: Filed FOIA request for full A# file
Feb 2020: FOIA request completed - entire A# file received as a .PDF; 197 pages fully redacted, and 80 partially redacted. Don't waste your time!
March 2021: I-751 #2 denied for lack of evidence. No RFE, no interview, and evidence in previous I-751 not reviewed - contrary to policy. Huge errors in adjudication.

N-400 - Feb 2018 - Apr 2021 [Denied]

February 2018: N-400 filed online.  $725 paid to the USCIS paperwork wastage fund

February  2019: Interview - cancelled after a four hour wait due to 'missing paperwork' on their end. Promised Expedited reschedule.

March 2021: Interview letter received, strangely dated after I-751 denial. No I-751 interview conducted. N-400 interview and test passed, given 'cannot make a decision at this time' paper due to the ongoing I-751 nightmare...

April 2021: N-400 denial received citing recent I-751 denial as basis for ineligibility, even though it should have been a combo interview 🤯

I AM JACK'S COMPLETE LACK OF SURPRISE

I-751 Service Motion - March 2021 [Sent via FedEx & COMPLETELY IGNORED by USCIS]

March 2021: Service Motion request sent overnight addressed direectly to field office director, requesting urgent review and re-opening, based on errors in adjudication - citing USCIS policy, AFM and memorandums as basis for errors. This was completely ignored by USCIS.

I-751 #3 - June 2021 - Jan 2024 [Denied]

IT'S GROUNDHOG DAY

June 2021: I-751 #3 (30+lbs/5000 pages of paperwork) & another $680 sent to USCIS via FedEx ($300+..thanks) .... 

June 2021: Receipt issued, card charged, biometrics waived, infopass scheduled for I-551 stamp number ten.....

Feb 2022: RFIE (no, not an RFE, a Request For Initial Evidence) received, for copies of the divorce paperwork that they already have 😑

July 2022: Infopass for I-551 stamp number eleven.....

August 2023: Infopass for I-551 stamp number twelve....

January 2024: Denial received, ignoring the overwhelming majority of the filing, abundance of evidence, and refutation of a provably false allegation. The denial also contradicts itself in multiple places, as if it was written by someone with an IQ <50.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

2024: FML. Seriously. I'm done. 

Another poster some time ago mentioned checking at 12:01 as the system seemed to "reset". Maybe that might work. :)

AOS

03/24/11 - Got married in the Boogie-Down Bronx, NYC!
04/21/11 - Mailed I-130,I-765, I-485, I-864 and I-693 - Day 00

04/23/11 - Application delivered - Day 02
04/28/11 - NOA (most forms) - Day 07
05/03/11 - Checks cashed - Day 12
05/31/11 - Biometrics completed in the Bronx, NYC - Day 40
06/24/11 - Received someone else's employment authorization card!!! What the...? - Day 64
07/01/11 - Mailed the poor lady's card back after calling USCIS - Day 71
07/07/11 - Received poor lady's interview notice! What??? - Day 77
07/15/11 - Received my own EAD card - Day 85
08/12/11 - Interview. Approved on the spot! - Day 113
08/18/11 - Received card in the mail - Day 119

ROC
05/28/13 - Mailed I-751 - Day 00

05/30/13 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/31/13 - NOA I-797 - Day 03
06/04/13 - Check cashed - Day 07

06/06/13 - NOA delivered to my home/Biometrics letter generated - Day 09

06/10/13 - Received Biometrics letter in the mail - Day 13

06/27/13 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 30

09/10/13 - Application approved! - Day 105

09/14/13 - 10 year Green Card received! - Day 109

Citizenship

05/10/16 - Mailed N-400 - Day 00

05/12/16 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/13/16 - Credit card payment accepted - Day 03

05/17/16 - Received text & email update - Day 07

05/20/16 - Received 1st NOA (dated 05/13/16) & created ELIS acct - Day 10

05/21/16 - Received 2nd NOA (dated 05/16/16) confirming my DOB and address - Day 11

05/22/06 - Biometrics scheduled (online update) and appt letter was mailed on 05/20/16 - Day 12

05/24/06 - Biometrics letter became viewable online (appt scheduled for 06/07/16) - Day 14

05/27/16 - Received Biometrics letter in mail - Day 17

05/31/16 - Was denied walk-in fingerprints with just 1 person left in line. Milwaukee office, boo! - Day 21

06/07/16 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 28

12/21/16 - Passed Citizenship test/Interview was successful! - Day 197

01/26/17 - I am a US citizen!!! - Day 233

Timeline

You are very helpful.

I found a local office about 1.5 hours away from NYC that have many appointments available.

I made an appointment and reserved a rental car for the appointment.

Anyone in NYC wanna to do a carpool? Hahaha

Remember that it doesn't have to be your local office.

I gave up as I was literally finding nothing available, and yet I found one relatively quickly on the opposite side of the country for a time when I happened to be there anyway.

It is a silly system but no alternative unfortunately

Edited by ctracker

@ctracker- which office did you find appointments at? I also urgently need an infopass appointment but I only see appointments in Hartford or southern New Jersey, and I hear they are outside NYC jurisdiction so it may not work in my case.

I also urgently need an infopass appointment but I only see appointments in Hartford or southern New Jersey, and I hear they are outside NYC jurisdiction so it may not work in my case.

For an infopass it does not matter where the appointment is.

Mine was almost 3000 miles away from my local office.

Edited by mindthegap

CR1 / DCF (London): 2012 / 2013 (4 months from I-130 petition to visa in hand)

I-751 #1- April 2015 [Denied]

April 2015 : I-751 Joint filing package sent fedex next day 09:00am from UK ($lots - thanks). 
Jan 2017: Notification that an interview has been scheduled at a local office. Bizarrely still no RFE... 
Jan 2017: 2hr wait, then interview terminated before it began, due to moving my ID to another state 2 wks prior. New interview 'in a few months...maybe.'   Informed them that divorce proceedings are underway, but not finalised at this time. 
March 2017: An Interview was scheduled - marked as no-show as they didn't actually send out a notification of interview. FML 
April  2017: Filed an official complaint with the ombudsman, and have requested Senator & Congressman assistance
August 2017: Interview - switched to a (finalised) divorce waiver. Told that decision will be made that afternoon, but no problems foreseen with my case. 
October 2017: Letter of Denial received - reason given as 'I-751 petition was not properly filed'. Discovered ex-spouse made false allegations to USCIS in 2015. No opportunity given to review & refute allegations  - contrary to USCIS policy.

I-751 #2 - Oct 2017 - Mar 2021[Denied] 

October 2017: Within 72hrs of receiving denial notice, a new waiver I-751, divorce decree & $680 cheque, sent to Vermont via FedEx overnight 9am priority.  
Dec 2019: Filed FOIA request for full A# file
Feb 2020: FOIA request completed - entire A# file received as a .PDF; 197 pages fully redacted, and 80 partially redacted. Don't waste your time!
March 2021: I-751 #2 denied for lack of evidence. No RFE, no interview, and evidence in previous I-751 not reviewed - contrary to policy. Huge errors in adjudication.

N-400 - Feb 2018 - Apr 2021 [Denied]

February 2018: N-400 filed online.  $725 paid to the USCIS paperwork wastage fund

February  2019: Interview - cancelled after a four hour wait due to 'missing paperwork' on their end. Promised Expedited reschedule.

March 2021: Interview letter received, strangely dated after I-751 denial. No I-751 interview conducted. N-400 interview and test passed, given 'cannot make a decision at this time' paper due to the ongoing I-751 nightmare...

April 2021: N-400 denial received citing recent I-751 denial as basis for ineligibility, even though it should have been a combo interview 🤯

I AM JACK'S COMPLETE LACK OF SURPRISE

I-751 Service Motion - March 2021 [Sent via FedEx & COMPLETELY IGNORED by USCIS]

March 2021: Service Motion request sent overnight addressed direectly to field office director, requesting urgent review and re-opening, based on errors in adjudication - citing USCIS policy, AFM and memorandums as basis for errors. This was completely ignored by USCIS.

I-751 #3 - June 2021 - Jan 2024 [Denied]

IT'S GROUNDHOG DAY

June 2021: I-751 #3 (30+lbs/5000 pages of paperwork) & another $680 sent to USCIS via FedEx ($300+..thanks) .... 

June 2021: Receipt issued, card charged, biometrics waived, infopass scheduled for I-551 stamp number ten.....

Feb 2022: RFIE (no, not an RFE, a Request For Initial Evidence) received, for copies of the divorce paperwork that they already have 😑

July 2022: Infopass for I-551 stamp number eleven.....

August 2023: Infopass for I-551 stamp number twelve....

January 2024: Denial received, ignoring the overwhelming majority of the filing, abundance of evidence, and refutation of a provably false allegation. The denial also contradicts itself in multiple places, as if it was written by someone with an IQ <50.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

2024: FML. Seriously. I'm done. 

Timeline

Hi, I searched and got an appointment at Mount Laurel, NJ.

I also agree that it doesn't matter which USCIS field office you go to. It's a federal program and any field office should be able to faciliate your need.

@ctracker- which office did you find appointments at? I also urgently need an infopass appointment but I only see appointments in Hartford or southern New Jersey, and I hear they are outside NYC jurisdiction so it may not work in my case.

• 1 month later...
Filed: Timeline

@ctracker as long as you did your I-9 with a valid green card your employer should not re-verify you. It is unlawful to do so. Here is a link to employee rights on the uscis.government website:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/employee-rights-discrimination/employee-rights

All Permanent Residents NEED to know their rights!

Edited by ProfInc

• 2 months later...

The infopass appt website is completely retarded.

I am also looking for NYC but says there are none available for the next 14 days.

How do you find NJ offices? It only shows me NYC, Holtsville, and Newburgh as the 3 "nearby"

Thanks.

Timeline

Hi, I was able to get the appointment by putting in NJ's zip code.

However, please be warned that the agent refused to serve me citing that they have a small office and can only serve NJ residents. I wasted my time there.

Keep checking Infopass. Check it early in the morning (6am or so) and appointments will show up. Good luck, please keep us posted.

The infopass appt website is completely retarded.

I am also looking for NYC but says there are none available for the next 14 days.

How do you find NJ offices? It only shows me NYC, Holtsville, and Newburgh as the 3 "nearby"

Thanks.

• 10 months later...
Filed: Other Country: Norway
Timeline
On 12/6/2016 at 10:11 PM, ctracker said:

Hi, I was able to get the appointment by putting in NJ's zip code.

However, please be warned that the agent refused to serve me citing that they have a small office and can only serve NJ residents. I wasted my time there.

Keep checking Infopass. Check it early in the morning (6am or so) and appointments will show up. Good luck, please keep us posted.

Hi,

So did you manage to get a stamp in the end? Which office did you go? I'm also in NYC and I realized that there's no appointment available at all.... 

Timeline
3 hours ago, coolgchat said:

Hi,

So did you manage to get a stamp in the end? Which office did you go? I'm also in NYC and I realized that there's no appointment available at all.... 

Yes after many tries I managed to get an infopass appointment. Got the stamp then 3 months later I had to go for an interview. At the interview I asked the officer for another stamp as I had a new passport. 

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

To those who may find this helpful:

I had been trying for many days to get an infopass for the NYC Field Office scheduled. I installed the extensions "visualping" and "super auto refresh" from the chrome web store. Still, I did not have much luck. Tried everything anybody suggested, from checking at 12:01 a.m. or early in the morning. I did have appointments open up twice on Fridays, but they were gone before I could fill out the form. Friday morning (12/8/2017), I opened the browser and set up the extensions soon as I woke up. Shortly after 9:00 a.m., appointments were available for the same day from 9:15 a.m. to 2:15 p.m.  I scheduled a 2:00 p.m. appointment, but then was able to reschedule it to an earlier one for the same day.

I checked in the office 10 minutes before the appointment, but the token number issued had about 40 people in line before me. My number was called more than two hours after I had checked in :(. So, I suggest if you have an infopass to get a stamp for the expired green card extension, you show up earlier in the day irrespective of your appointed time. Applicants going in for the citizenship interview do not seem to have an issue with the wait times. Do not forget to take your unexpired passport because that is where you will be getting the stamp. I have seen a person who did not bring their passport because they were not specifically asked to bring it (they thought the extension would be stamped) and another person who brought an expired passport. Both of them did not get the I-551 stamp. I was not asked for the green card as some people have been asked. The officer did, however, want to see my green card extension. Upon seeing that it had expired in October 2017 and my current case status of an RFE (I-751), she asked whether I had sent in my RFE documents and whether I was still married. She also wanted to know when I had last had my fingerprints taken (November 2016). I was informed they are good for 15 months only. She stamped the passport and wrote the validity dates from the day of the appointment to a one-year duration. Again, I think the duration is case-specific. I have seen another person get a less than stamp valid for less than an year.

I'm the beneficiary, wife of USC.
12/30/2012: Got engaged.
1/16/2013: Got married in India.

I-130:
2/28/2013: Attorney mailed the I-130 from a U.S. address.
3/4/2013: Priority date, NOA1.
11/6/2013: Case was transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

1/6/2014: 60 days of transfer are up, put in an e-request, given 30 days' time. Contacted the senator. Senator asked to wait till Feb 6 and if nothing then she will do something.
2/5/2014: Website status changed to RFE.
2/10/2014: Attorney gets RFE. They need G325A and photos of both me and husband, original marriage certificate, copy of marriage record and it's translation.
2/15/2014: Mailed the requisite documents to husband.
2/19/2014: Documents received by husband.
2/24/2014: RFE mailed.
2/26/2014: Case status changed to RFE review.
3/6/2014: After 367 days, NOA2.

After approval kept calling NVC but NVC always had one reply, file was not in their system. Husband too called USCIS National Customer Service Center and was told case was sent to NVC.
4/2/2014: Write to NSCFollowup to know about the status of the petition.
4/10/2014: Put in a ?service request with USCIS starting with OVP to locate case.
4/16/2014: Reply from NSCFollowup that the U.S. law prohibited that office from responding to anyone other than the petitioner and to have the petitioner contact them.
4/18/2014: Sent email to NVC Research to locate the case.
4/22/2014: Petitioner sent email to NSCFollowup
5/14/2014: Receive email from NVC Research that they do not have a record of receiving the petition.
5/16/2014: Congressman's immigration caseworker contacted supervisor at NSC who said the petition is pending and will be dispatched in two weeks.
5/27/2014: Petitioner received response from NSCFollowup that the case was pending an internal extended review. Really?
6/19/2014: USCIS case status change, "On June 19, 2014, we shipped this case..."
7/1/2014: Case received at NVC.
7/14/2014: NVC case number assigned.
8/1/2014: AOS and IV fees invoiced.
8/2/2014: AOS and IV fees paid.
8/5/2014: AOS and IV fees status changed to paid.
8/6/2014: AOS and IV packages mailed, completed and submitted DS-260.
8/7/2014: AOS and IV packages delivered to NVC.
8/8/2014: AOS and IV packages put into the system (scanned).
9/20/2014: Get the 60-day email.
9/30/2014: Case Complete!
10/3/2014: Interview scheduled for November 7.
10/20/2014: Medical appointment.

11/07/2014: Interview.

11/29/2014: POE JFK.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.