the_fox

Child overstaying B2 visa to study?

35 posts in this topic

They won't. That is only for children who came on F1 student visas.

No it's not. There was another case on the forum where the child wasn't allowed to immigrate because they had attended public school on a B2 visa. (I believe the mother and child were residing in Canada and the sister allowed her sibling attend school.) Because the child had attended public school but nothing was paid towards said schooling, the child was denied an immigrant visa and had their B2 visa cancelled. (I do not believe the family were Canadians, merely living there.) The federal government had stated the schooling debt needed to be paid before the child could immigrate.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Timeline

No it's not. There was another case on the forum where the child wasn't allowed to immigrate because they had attended public school on a B2 visa. (I believe the mother and child were residing in Canada and the sister allowed her sibling attend school.) Because the child had attended public school but nothing was paid towards said schooling, the child was denied an immigrant visa and had their B2 visa cancelled. (I do not believe the family were Canadians, merely living there.) The federal government had stated the schooling debt needed to be paid before the child could immigrate.

Source?

I don't see any law which allows them to deny a visa for that reason. Plus lots of illegal immigrant children who immigrate later spent years attending public school without having this be an issue for immigration.

Edited by newacct

Here is the thread that NLR is referring to.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/589225-please-help-mom-visa-refused-what-to-do-next-merged/?hl=%20ignorant

And I agree that it is extremely stupid for your relative to abuse the system like that.

Thank her for contributing to the difficulty of foreigners seeking tourist visas.

And in that post it never said they were denied immigrant visa's for the child's not having paid the school.

Well I misremembered, but there was a denial of the mother's visa due to the child's use of public school.

(double post edit)

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

I also think there was another poster who was labeled as a human smuggler because they brought a child here and allowed them to overstay and attend school.

A parent cant smuggle their child. Kidnapp possibly but dad would have to charge her and they want to move here.

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

He can probably apply to a private school and get a proper student visa. These kinds of schools are not cheap but if it's that important to go to school in the US vs wherever the kid is from...

A parent cant smuggle their child. Kidnapp possibly but dad would have to charge her and they want to move here.

It's called smuggling, but it's defined as any alien who encourages or helps another alien to try to enter the US in violation of law, and it can definitely be family members, and in fact the immigrant waiver for this ban is only available if the alien who is "smuggled" is the "smuggler"'s parent, child, or spouse.

It's called smuggling, but it's defined as any alien who encourages or helps another alien to try to enter the US in violation of law, and it can definitely be family members, and in fact the immigrant waiver for this ban is only available if the alien who is "smuggled" is the "smuggler"'s parent, child, or spouse.

Since childs not illegal. no one has been smuggled yet. Edited by Anitafeliz

K1 March Filer 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

https://www.ice.gov/factsheets/human-trafficking

Once illegal its gonna be a smuggling :star:

K1 March Filer 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

https://www.ice.gov/factsheets/human-trafficking

Once illegal its gonna be a smuggling :star:

Technically, not if the child is already here. Already here = no entering needed. Entering is part of the definition for smuggling.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Ok well.....now i know. :idea:

But everyones jumping the gun as childs still in legal standing and has not attended school yet.

I hope OP advices the friend correctly and lets hope this person acts correctly.

THIS HERE IS PRIME EXAMPLE. Of how to abuse the system and ruin it for others if and when all the possible illegal activities discussed happen.

This is why some countries become high fraud.

I def don't understand why anyone can go ahead and do these things and drag along a child.

If you want to commit crimes and you involve minors. JAIL!!

Edited by Anitafeliz

K1 March Filer 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

Back to topic:

IF the child stays the child MUST go to school. The United States has compulsory school attendance laws. All children between the ages of five to sixteen are required to attend school in most states.

Please keep in mind a B visa holder can not go to school. That violates the terms of the visa. So if you are on a B you are not under the compulsory school attendance provision. However if you switch from a B to "undocumented" because of overstay OR simply because you "abandon it" by moving your residence to the US where you are no longer a visitor but a resident then you must go to school. There is no formal process for changing from B to undocumented. I mean you dont fill out a form or anything. You just do it.

So again as long as the child is on a B then they are not eligible for school. Once they abandon the B by changing residences or overstaying then they MUST go.

The federal law mentioned previously is the following:

The U.S. Supreme Court in Plyler v. Doe, 457 U.S. 202 (1982), invalidated a Texas law authorizing school districts to bar undocumented immigrant students from public elementary and secondary schools. The Court stated that undocumented immigrant students have the same right to free public education as U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents under the Fourteenth Amendment.21 Undocumented immigrant students are obligated, as are all other students, to attend school until they reach the age mandated by state law. Further, public schools and school personnel are prohibited under Plyler from adopting policies or taking actions that would deny student access to education based on their immigration status.
Denial of K-12 education: In spite of the landmark Supreme Court decision in Plyler v. Doe, guaranteeing the right
to K-12 public education, many school systems in the country deny access to undocumented immigrant students as standard
practice, either due to misinterpretation of this law and/oranti-immigrant sentiments
So it may not be that easy to get the child enrolled.

As for another point brought up: The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)(1974) prohibits schools from providing any outside agency, including the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), with any information from a student’s school file that would expose their immigration status without first receiving permission from the parents. The only exception is when an agency secures a court order (subpoena)

As to repayment:
Under current federal law, students with F-1 visas are required to pay the secondary schools the full, unsubsidized cost of education
F-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa issued to a legal foreign student who is coming to the U.S to purse full-time studies in a U.S. academic institution Please see chart on page 15 for more details.

http://www.e4fc.org/images/Access_to_Education_Guide_Eng1_LR.pdf

Furthermore:

It has never been Service policy that any receipt of services or benefits paid for in whole or in part from public funds renders an alien a public charge, or indicates that the alien is likely to become a public charge. The nature of the public program must be considered. For instance, attending public schools, taking advantage of school lunch or other supplemental nutrition programs, or receiving emergency medical care would not make an alien inadmissible as a public charge, despite the use of public funds .

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/FR/HTML/FR/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-54070/0-0-0-54088/0-0-0-55744/0-0-0-55805.html

So the question remains on what to do... No one on VJ is going to advise that someone intentionally overstays their B visa and becomes undocumented. Nor that they use the B visa to enter or already have entered and 'change their mind' and decide hey I like it here Im going to become a resident (undocumented). In this case it is the parent deciding for the child. As stated if you have a path to residency (which the child does) then it is recommended you follow that path.
However there is NO PENALTY to the child. It will not hurt the immigration process of obtaining a GC through the mother. It can cause issues for the mother though in terms of how USCIS views her moral character as one can speculate since she is responsible for decisions made in regards to the child she intentionally violated the terms of the B visa on his behalf.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.