wheresthebeef29

Not living together, and no immediate plans to do so.

49 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

There certainly will be a lot of questions as long as the two are not co-habitating. I get the 2 bedroom sleeping arrangement. I did it for years on a previous marriage. It certainly helped for a number of reasons because of sleeping habits, work, etc. The marriage failed for entirely different reasons. The putting each other on the leases sounds like a good idea. Sublet both and get a 2 bedroom in addition is even better. I understand the personal space thing and own ways of living but, quite frankly as an outsider looking in, I think you are going to have a real hard time selling this to an IO. Other than the medical situation, which has workarounds, this looks more like friends with benefits than anything else. It doesn't look like a marriage. Not judging, I'm just looking at it from an outside viewpoint.

Also, Caliliving is right. You need to show all kinds of evidence other than just documents and living arrangements. Doing things together, going places and events, vacations together, family gatherings, pictures with family members. I know that can be difficult since we are older couple. We both have no parents, my sister is 3K miles away. But, my 19 yr old daughter lives with me and we included her in some things we did together and provided photos of us all together.

If this isn't an issue for the 2 yr GC, I'm sure it will be for ROC.

While I want to say, to each their own...

We're judged by USCIS standards at the end of the day. If something isn't "normal" to THEM, they take it as shady or negatively.

I say load up on as much proof as possible that you guys spend as much time as possible together. Outings, vacations, just doing anything together. You'll want pics, you'll want affidavits, shoot I'd almost split bills half and half to show you're eating in the same places at the same times.

Also, I'm assuming this is a psychological issue, which is hard for A LOT of people to understand. There is the chance that they may use their own discretion and question the legitimacy of the doctors notes and things like that. They could easily say, yes they read through the doctors notes, but no, it makes no sense to them that you live apart, because it could be past the IO's head. You could get a lot of "Well why can't you just do X, or Y, and be in the same place?"

Sometimes people with sleep apnea, sleep seperate, but in the same home. There's a disorder where a person basically sleepwalk's looking for sex, which you could just lock a door. You've got potential night terror rage attacks, which again, you can still be in the same home. If it's a fear for safety, then that'll raise even more questions on if the relationship is okay. If you have to use something loud to help you sleep at night, there's always sound proofing.

Do you have a lawyer OTHER than your husband? Having your husband, who you don't live with, be the person drafting all the legal stuff may not help the case look less shady.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

where did you meet? how did you meet? have you met each others parents? do you have pictures with each others family? have you guys traveled together to the UK to meet your family? IMO those are the better telling signs of a true genuine marriage.

Yes to all of the above. We've met each other's parents, we have a lot of photos of stuff we've done together with both of our parents all together, and photos of events he's been to with just my Dad for example (they LOVE GOLF and are close), our parents have met each other.

Someone else asked about age and religion. We're both Jewish, white, and in our early 30s (two year age difference). We met through work.

Someone asked about the leases through 2017 -- I am on a two year lease in a co-op where I sublet from the owner. He is on a one year lease, renewed his lease in January since I was trapped in my place anyway until Feb 2017, so to speak, so we made the decision to look for a 2 bed (or maybe a house outside the city) next year. Maybe that wasn't the best decision but that's what we did. At the time, we didn't make this decision based on what was best on paper for immigration -- we made the decision based on what was best for our situation. It really sucks that even though this was an honest decision, it feels like we should have manipulated our situation to better fit with the standard white picket fence ideal held by the IOs. We just didn't know that at the time. We didn't marry and set up our lives based around the idea of getting a green card, so we didn't take it into consideration. I regret that now.

Hey if it works for you who's to judge...

Regrettably, USCIS do.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I'm serious I just saying people start burping farting going to the bathroom with the door open....no I'm sorry honey I don't love anyone that much...

Somethings have to be kept private lord..

How many divorces over co habitation....

Their arrangement may just work for people who enjoy their space....

Believe me I agree with you, keep the bathroom door shut....... and use air spray please before exiting the bathroom as I tell my hubby.....

Formally Known as Paris Heart   A long, long time ago       france paris GIF

N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

FILED  AOS FROM AN EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 2 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response on the  NOID// Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

happy tom and jerry GIF

At the time, we didn't make this decision based on what was best on paper for immigration -- we made the decision based on what was best for our situation.

You usually learn pretty quick that if you want things to work for your then you have to keep in mind what is best for immigration.

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

Believe me I agree with you, keep the bathroom door shut....... and use air spray please before exiting the bathroom as I tell my hubby.....

Amen lol :yes:

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

That seems counterintuitive to the whole concept of us getting married for love and not for immigration purposes.

There is a difference between getting married for immigration purposes and getting married and then playing by the rules of the immigration process.

No one's is suggestion you frame your relationship in a way that is any less genuine in terms of love, just follow the rules. We can't expect the government to make exceptions to account for the countless variations in relationships styles that different couples have, so they set a certain standard for the bona fieds and it's always best to consider these standards when going through the process.

Living together is in most cases seen as a pretty important requirement for proving a bona fied marriage. Most people know this going into it.

You need to prove that your marriage is for love, and its reasonable for someone to question the fact that your husband recently opened up a lease in a separate apartment than you when trying to make that judgement.

I'm really not seeing how it's counter intuitive to try your best to follow the suggestions of immigration law.

Edited by MorganandMichael

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

I also thought it was inappropriate to keep immigration in mind while marrying for love. It felt like we were making up evidence. And then I realized that I genuinely loved my husband and what difference did it make if we chose some things specifically because they had obvious benefits for immigration. So I've started to make choices that will be beneficial to our process. Some things I've done almost solely to create proof of a genuine relationship (like adding his name to all my utility bills). We will also be creating wills and power of attorneys for the ROC process (I know we should anyway but there's more of a rush to get this done because of immigration). For other things, immigration encouraged me to choose one thing over another (like joint bank accounts rather than solo). There are also other things that I refuse to do no matter how it might look to immigration (like signing a car loan when we don't need a second car). But is our relationship any less real because I allowed the relationship standards from the USCIS to factor into my decisions? Heck no they don't, not as long as those "suggestions" aren't contrary to our personal value system! I completely agree with MorganandMichael's statement about keeping in mind what's best for immigration. And the more times you choose to say yes to the USCIS way the easier the next process should be.

Edited by JR loves JR

K-1 from Haiti - NOA1: 5/27/2014; NOA2: 7/8 USCIS never updated to say that it was sent to the NVC (just in case you're as concerned about your status not updating as I was about mine)
NVC Case Number Received: 7/31; Left NVC: 8/1 - tracked via DHL website; CEAC Status - Ready: 8/7; Packet 3 Received: 9/5 - Beneficiary received packet / Medical Completed: 9/19;
DS-160 Submitted: 9/22 - (CEAC date updated); Packet 3 Submitted: 9/26; Packet 4 Received: 10/24; Interview Date: 11/6 @ 7 am Interview Result: Approved!
CEAC Status Issued: 11/10; USTraveldocs.com finally acknowledged Fiance's passport actually in their system: 11/20; Passport Received: 11/21;

POE: 11/23/2014; Wedding: 2/14/2015

AOS/EAD/AP Filed: 2/21/2015;

USCIS EAD & AP received: 2/25; USCIS AOS received: 2/27; Received NOA1s in mail: 3/5; Biometrics: 3/26; EAD/AP Card in Production: 5/11; EAD/AP Card Mailed: 5/1; EAD/AP Card Received 5/19; NPIW Letter dated: 6/11/15; Green card Approved: 10/1/15;

Green card Received: 10/7/15

There is a difference between getting married for immigration purposes and getting married and then playing by the rules of the immigration process.

No one's is suggestion you frame your relationship in a way that is any less genuine in terms of love, just follow the rules. We can't expect the government to make exceptions to account for the countless variations in relationships styles that different couples have, so they set a certain standard for the bona fieds and it's always best to consider these standards when going through the process.

Living together is in most cases seen as a pretty important requirement for proving a bona fied marriage. Most people know this going into it.

You need to prove that your marriage is for love, and its reasonable for someone to question the fact that your husband recently opened up a lease in a separate apartment than you when trying to make that judgement.

I'm really not seeing how it's counter intuitive to try your best to follow the suggestions of immigration law.

That's what we're trying to do now. It is not as if we both have moved around in different places since we've been married. I have a small ~500SF studio apartment. He has a slightly larger studio apartment that he's lived in and worked from for 11 years (though he did renew it to coincide with when my lease is up -- what else was he going to do?).

That said, your point about the government not making exceptions to account for the various relationship styles is a very good one. That's a good way to frame my concern. Maybe we should hold off on filing until 2017, when we have our ducks more in a row and are living arrangements aligned in the eyes of the law. Or maybe we should have lied, and risked someone finding out I have an apartment in my name that I can't get rid of for another 8 months.

Call me a wishful thinker, but I just figured we were past that stage as as country where marriage had to fit within the confines of a very rigid stereotype of one man, one woman, one house, a dog, lots of garden space, and 2.5 kids. We're a married couple who had a huge wedding with our friends, family and work colleagues, we met in person not online, we are part of the same religious group, we have an intimate (sexual) relationship, we want to have kids in the next year, and our families are a unit. We are living our lives together within .1 miles of each other until we can figure something else out. If that's too much for the "open minded" people on here to handle, you're all right, it won't fly with an IO. Which totally sucks and seems unfair as we should as a couple be able by law to use the immigration privileges that are afforded to everyone else who gets married and is in a bona fide relationship.

In short, it's clear that we should hold off until filing until 2017.

Thanks everyone for the advice! I appreciate it all.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

I think holding off on filing until you live together would probably be a wise choice, less hassle at the end. Plus if you get the GC when you've already been married for 2 years you get to skip ROC and get a 10-year GC to begin with.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Someone asked about the leases through 2017 -- I am on a two year lease in a co-op where I sublet from the owner. He is on a one year lease, renewed his lease in January since I was trapped in my place anyway until Feb 2017, so to speak, so we made the decision to look for a 2 bed (or maybe a house outside the city) next year. Maybe that wasn't the best decision but that's what we did. At the time, we didn't make this decision based on what was best on paper for immigration -- we made the decision based on what was best for our situation. It really sucks that even though this was an honest decision, it feels like we should have manipulated our situation to better fit with the standard white picket fence ideal held by the IOs. We just didn't know that at the time. We didn't marry and set up our lives based around the idea of getting a green card, so we didn't take it into consideration. I regret that now.

Explain it to the USCIS just like that. All you can do is be totally honest and provide all the evidence you have about the medical condition and why it makes you not able to share a bedroom, your lease situations, and your decision to find a larger house to have separate bedrooms under one roof next year when your leases are up. Add in all the strong bona fide marriage documentation you have, and hope the IO you get sees that you are being honest and not trying to make up some bizarre story for a green card. I agree with the others that said if you were in it for a green card only, you would have devised a lie that had you living together, even if you didn't.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.