Sarah_Marcus

receive the green card after arrival, share your OS155A status

1,149 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Shaksaat said:

Upon entering US his passport will be stamped for a 1 year valid as a Green Card stamp. He will be able to travel back into USA on that stamp. Physical GC arrives within 6-8 weeks of entry into USA.

Thanks so much @Shaksaat  - ok so I’d be a green card holder from that point. That’s very useful to know for tax purposes. I assume we pay US tax on any UK income from that point (and not before) even though we have to declare for the whole year. 

• 3 weeks later...

My FINAL timeline:

Paid Immigrant Fee: October 30, 2021
POE: ORD(Chicago) - November 9, 2021 

Received SSN: November 23, 2021 (14 days after arrival. Applied for SSN in DS-260 form)

... long time waiting and making a lot of requests...
GC is being produced - July 18, 2022

GC mailed - July 21, 2022

I RECEIVED GC IN MY MAILBOX -  JULY 22, 2022

In total:
256 days! (8,5 months)

The main reason of the delay: The border officer in the airport made a mistake and did not take my 'Immigrant Visa Packet' (sealed packet with my photos+scans of documents).
According to the procedure, the border officer must take the 'IV packet' and then "US Customs and Border Protection" must mail this "packet" to the USCIS.
By the way, I know that sometimes people can have annotations on their visas that "all documents were processed electronically". In that case they don't need to provide the "IV Packet" to the border officer, but I didn't have that annotation in my Visa...
In my case, I gave my packet to the border officer. He opened the packet, checked what was inside, and then... returned the packet to me and told me that I can go and everything is OK... 

After that I had next timeline:
1) No GC after  90 days - I made my 1st request. Response from the USCIS: "We need additional time to find out the reason of delay, please wait 30 more days..."
2) No GC after 120 days -  I made 2nd request.  Response from the USCIS: "We have not received your Visa Packet, you must make an appointment to the local USCIS office and re-submit all your documentation and photos"
3) I Made 1st request for getting an appointment in local USCIS office... Response from USCIS after some time: The appointment was not approved, because the reason is not urgent, please make another request for an appointment"
4) I made 2nd request for getting an appointment... The same response from USCIS: "No appointment because the reason is not urgent"
5) I Made my 3rd request for an appointment with notice that 2 previous requests were unsuccessful... after that finally USCIS called me back and scheduled an appointment for me!
6) JUNE 8, 2022 - Appointment in local USCIS office in Chicago. Submitted my "IV Packet"... Also the representative told me that now the process should go from the very beginning  - the same way as I just arrived to the USA. This means that now I need to wait 90-120 days from June 8, 2022(date of submitting of packet).
I was shocked and I asked if maybe there is a way to speed up this process, because I've already been waiting for so long... Thankfully, the representative was a very nice and helpful person. He promised that he will try to check if there is a possibility to speed up the proccess. 
7) July 22, 2022 - received my GC. So it took 45 days from the submitting of packet in the USCIS office. and 256 days in total.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Sudan
Timeline
On 11/7/2022 at 2:34 PM, USResidentTNHolde said:

Received notification of status being updated to "Card Is Being Produced" on Nov. 6. Fee payment confirmation was Aug. 8th.

any update, how long did it take on your case to receive the card? in my case the update to card is being produced was on Nov 11th and still no other updates 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
On 9/28/2022 at 1:20 PM, MarriageEquality2 said:

Hi guys!

joining the thread... 

09/09/22: Paid the green card fee

09/11/22: Entered the US through Houston

09/19/22: Social Security Card received in the mail.

One thing I've noticed when checking. my case status online is that it shows the payment date as the 10th, and it also says submitted on the 13th... Does anybody know what it means?

Hi,

did you receive your card yet?

Fees paid : September 12th 2022

POE(Seattle): September 20th 2022

Didnt receive SSN so went in person and applied for it, received the number yesterday.

still waiting for an update on my physical green card.

15 hours ago, Izuku Midoriya said:

Hi,

did you receive your card yet?

Fees paid : September 12th 2022

POE(Seattle): September 20th 2022

Didnt receive SSN so went in person and applied for it, received the number yesterday.

still waiting for an update on my physical green card.

Hi there. 

I have not received the physical green card yet. The case status is the same as when I paid the fee. 

My social security card arrived within a week from POE. 

Hi all. I'm a new member. Just sharing my timeline here in case it's helpful, and because it seems to be close to several of the timelines shared here:

Fees Paid - September 26, 2022.

POE Washington State (Seattle) - September 27, 2022.

Status on USCIS account changed to: "We are producing your new card for your Form OS155A, Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration" - October 31, 2022.

"Your new card your Form OS155A, Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration, directly to the address you gave us" - November 4, 2022.

Card delivered and in hand - November 9, 2022

Hope this is helpful to other members.

Edited by sparkofhope

3 hours ago, sparkofhope said:

Hi all. I'm a new member. Just sharing my timeline here in case it's helpful, and because it seems to be close to several of the timelines shared here:

Fees Paid - September 26, 2022.

POE Washington State (Seattle) - September 27, 2022.

Status on USCIS account changed to: "We are producing your new card for your Form OS155A, Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration" - October 31, 2022.

"Your new card your Form OS155A, Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration, directly to the address you gave us" - November 4, 2022.

Card delivered and in hand - November 9, 2022

Hope this is helpful to other members.

Congratulations 🎊 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.