13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

HI, I could really use some solid and accurate advice, please.

I am currently on over 100 days of waiting for my advanced parole document. My case was approved on April 27, but there have been issues producing EAD/AP combo cards around that time and mine was part of that. I've called USCIS several times and opened service requests with no luck so far.

Long story short, my father was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer a few weeks ago and is terminally ill. His condition has deteriorated rapidly and he has just been admitted to hospital in my home country.

I really need to get the AP so that I can go home and visit him. I spoke with someone yesterday who gives "immigration advice" that told me that "if you travel on an advanced parole document before your I485 AOS is approved, you need to start the whole AOS process again".......

Needless to say, this freaked me out a bit as I was hoping to get on the first plane possible when the AP comes through.

I thought the whole purpose of AP was to be able to travel while awaiting AOS? Is the woman who gave me this warning completely wrong?

Arrived on P1 Visa - 2012

Married USC - 1/20/16

Filed I-485/130/131/765 - 2/16/16

NOA1 - 2/19/16

Biometrics Appt - 3/17/16 (Successful Walk-in 3/7/16)

RFE - 3/18/16

Service request for EAD due to job offer - 4/28/16

AP - Approval notice 4/28/16

6/20 - EAD/AP card received (finally)

8/15 - interview scheduled for 9/23

8/22 - interview canceled

11/2 - interview rescheduled for 12/7

11/14 - interview canceled (AGAIN!!!!)

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I hope your dad will get better and can recover soon.

If I were you, I would consult with an immigration lawyer if you really want a definitive answer, although most of the discussion here are based on experience, its all up to you on how to approach your own process. Based on most of my friends experience - they used the advance parole to go home and come back while their AOS'ing - their case is mostly work related from H1B and they do not have any pending removal or their authorized stay is still valid. BUT, like I said, it all depends on ones case and situation. As long as you do not have any pending removal proceeding or your period of authorized stay is still valid, I believe you can come home and come back -it is the purpose of AP in the first place. Just my thought and opinion. Hope it helps.

Filed: Timeline

Go to the local uscis office with the approval documents and also with the medical paperwork - they'll print a new AP document on the spot, no fee is necessary but photos will be required. When showed up there, explain to them that USCIS advised you to come with without an appointment. Good luck!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

^^^^^ This

Piff is exactly right. You can make an info pass appt to obtain emergency AP please see this link:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

Scroll down just past the EAD AP processing times you will see the paragraph on what to do.

Here's what is says:

As a note, in an emergency where travel outside of the United States is needed (while a beneficiary's I-485 in still being processed) an Advance Parole can be obtained quickly by scheduling an Info-Pass appointment at your local USCIS office. You must show proof (doctors note, etc) that the travel is a true emergency (such as to see a critically ill relative or other true emergency) and file an I-131 (AP) in person. If approved the AP is likely be issued the same day. Do not attempt to leave the country without an AP as this can result in the beneficiary's I-485 being considered "abandoned" and will require a new Visa to enter the US (and refiling of the I-485).

Edited by LionessDeon

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sounds like a notario, another example why you should never use one.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Agreed.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I am currently on over 100 days of waiting for my advanced parole document. My case was approved on April 27, but there have been issues producing EAD/AP combo cards around that time and mine was part of that. I've called USCIS several times and opened service requests with no luck so far.

Long story short, my father was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer a few weeks ago and is terminally ill. His condition has deteriorated rapidly and he has just been admitted to hospital in my home country.

I really need to get the AP so that I can go home and visit him. I spoke with someone yesterday who gives "immigration advice" that told me that "if you travel on an advanced parole document before your I485 AOS is approved, you need to start the whole AOS process again".......

Needless to say, this freaked me out a bit as I was hoping to get on the first plane possible when the AP comes through.

I thought the whole purpose of AP was to be able to travel while awaiting AOS? Is the woman who gave me this warning completely wrong?

The woman who gave you that "immigration advice" is an idiot. AP is to be used BEFORE the I-485 AOS is approved. There is no need for AP after an AOS is approved.

File for Emergency AP because of your father's illness. Contact your local USCIS office.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline

"""I am currently on over 100 days of waiting for my advanced parole document. My case was approved on April 27, but there have been issues producing EAD/AP combo cards around that time and mine was part of that. I've called USCIS several times and opened service requests with no luck so far."""

When you called the USCIS office, What did they say to you about producing EAD/AP card? My case was approved on April 27 too, and I still have no card in hand. On May 25 I was in an infopass appointment, asked for the card because I needed it as soon as posible, (different reason) but they didnt give me any option or posibilities. They just adviced me to write to the office, which address is in the bottom of my aprovement document.

I hope you can do something by showing them the prove for your reason. Wish you can have AP card, go in your country and take care for your father. Keep us informed

God bless you and your father!

Edited by M&A2

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Me and my child had traveled outside U.S. using advanced parole card , due to death in the family. We had no issues on the border and returning back. This was while AOS was in progress. And this is the point of this card. Don't worry. Think of your father. Everything else is fixable.

ROC
05/17/2016 Sending I-751 for me and my child
05/19/2016 Application received
05/26/2016 Check cashed
06/03/2016 biometric appointment letter
06/10/2016 biometrics done
08/13/2016 service request filled

11/14/2016 had tried to put service request - unsuccessful

11/15/2016 Approved

11/19/2016 Approval letter in mail

--/--/---- waiting for the GC

I am really sorry to hear about your dad. I can only imagine how you feel. My card was approved on April 30(ead) and may 2(ap). Even though I got an update to say my name was updated, it was yhe actual apprpval. They claimed they mailed me approval notices but they never arrived and my post office DID NOT receive them. I called USCIS numerous time and spoke with tier two officers who gave different accounts of what was happening with the card and when I would receive it. One told me there was an error whole printing my card, one told me that my address disappeared from the system due to a USCIS glitch, one told me bs about why the card was not printed. I raised a service request on May 13 and two others on May 23. They all were assigned, reviewed and completed on may 26. Again they claim they have mailed me so let's see. I reached a boiling point with USCIS on May 23 and reached out to my Congresswoman's office and they called NBC/MSC and spoke woth "John". Within minutes of leaving the office I received a text and an email to say the card was being produced. I am still yet to receive the card. The congresswoman's office said I should receive the card soon. I am hopeful though as I spoke with another vj whose card was sent to be produced Monday (May 23) and it was received yesterday (May 28).

I also wanted to let you know that you are not alone and you are not on this journey by yourself. Chin up... Hope you'll get your card soon.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I just received the EAD/AP Card after almost 120 days. It's been a long wait but now that I have it, I'm hoping to make a trip to see my dad asap.

The card says I have advanced parole until April 2017. Has anyone had any issues traveling with advanced parole while waiting for AOS approval? I cannot afford to have problems getting back into the country, but do really need to see my father asap.

Arrived on P1 Visa - 2012

Married USC - 1/20/16

Filed I-485/130/131/765 - 2/16/16

NOA1 - 2/19/16

Biometrics Appt - 3/17/16 (Successful Walk-in 3/7/16)

RFE - 3/18/16

Service request for EAD due to job offer - 4/28/16

AP - Approval notice 4/28/16

6/20 - EAD/AP card received (finally)

8/15 - interview scheduled for 9/23

8/22 - interview canceled

11/2 - interview rescheduled for 12/7

11/14 - interview canceled (AGAIN!!!!)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.