42 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Grenada
Timeline

Hi midatlanticmerge, isn't it true that drug policies are political? It's getting really confusing because cannabis is just about completely legal in the U.S. while other countries are still very conservative about it. Hopefully, just now, the world will stop criminalizing this thing and get on to dealing with more pressing problems. 'the leaves of tree are for the healing of the nations". IKR??

However, the laws are still the laws, federal in nature. 3 months ban seems like nothing. what a blessing! Best to you.

Hopefully you'll stay on the forum to let us know what happens. I'm certainly curious overall. This is the first time I've seen a 3 month test vs 12 month, but the UK isn't generally where you see the pot smoking bans coming from either.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Hopefully you'll stay on the forum to let us know what happens. I'm certainly curious overall. This is the first time I've seen a 3 month test vs 12 month, but the UK isn't generally where you see the pot smoking bans coming from either.

Interesting - I didn't realize that they considered nations of origins before deciding how long the ban is. Maybe my husband and I aren't as special as we thought :jest:

My next update will probably be when my husband gets his visa. I dont want to detail every small problem, but would rather focus on the big picture bc I think that is probably more helpful to others.

Hi midatlanticmerge, isn't it true that drug policies are political? It's getting really confusing because cannabis is just about completely legal in the U.S. while other countries are still very conservative about it. Hopefully, just now, the world will stop criminalizing this thing and get on to dealing with more pressing problems. 'the leaves of tree are for the healing of the nations". IKR??

However, the laws are still the laws, federal in nature. 3 months ban seems like nothing. what a blessing! Best to you.

I wouldnt say they are necessarily political, but they are in flux for sure. Either way, whatever you see going on out and about isn't necessarily the law. For me, on my commute to and from work, I smell weed multiple times. But I dont think it is fully legal here, maybe it is decriminalized. Police around me simply have bigger issues to focus on, so you probably won't be arrested for lighting up in Union Square.

Regardless - you will face very large issues if you test positive while applying for a visa. It doesnt matter if youre moving to a town/state where it is legal or not. As my lawyer stated, 'those applying for a visa face higher standards than citizens'.

If he said he wasn't a user and tested positive that may be a material misrepresentation and a lifetime bar.

Im not sure who the "he" is you are referring to is? My husband was honest, not sure if anyone else in this thread referenced lying?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

One thing I've noticed about this site, people can be very helpful, but I've also watched people be very judgmental. Keep your head up, and fingers crossed. What's meant to be will be. Good luck!

<3  Our K-1 Visa Journey <3

I-129f sent -- 2-18-2016        

NOA1 -- 2-24-2016

NOA2 -- 05-02-2016

NVC received -- 05-13-2016

NVC left -- 05-18-2016

Embassy received -- 5-22-2016

Interview Date -- 8-31-2016

Interview Result -- APPROVED!!!

AP -- (09-07-2016)

Visa Issued -- 9-08-2016

US Entry -- 09-24-2016

<3 MARRIAGE -- 10-21-2016 <3

AOS, EAD, AND AP Filed 01-05-2017

NOA1 -- 01-19-2017

Biometrics -- 02-06-2017

EAD and AP approved -- 05-19-2017

AOS approved -- 08-24-2017

Received card -- 09-01-2017

❤ Baby boy is here!! December 26th 2017 ❤

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Don't mind those that are overly critical. There's a certain segment of the population who NEEDS to have an authoritarian presence in their life - whether because of genetics or upbringing. They need to be told what to do and not really think for themselves on critical matters. The unfortunate thing (beyond that) is that they usually don't see their own faults, addictions and shortcomings as they criticize others. It's a shield to help insulate them, and that's why they go to great lengths and have great passion when focusing on the faults (or what they consider faults) of others. Usually the more intensely they criticize the more they have to cover.

Keep us posted on how things go =)

Case Complete to Interview Date Spreadsheet Analysis: http://www.gryphonsoftwareconsulting.com/vj/index.html

Nov 04, 2015 - Sent I-130

Nov 16, 2015 - I-130 NOA1

Mar 29, 2016 - I-130 NOA2

Mar 30, 2016 - Sent to NVC

Apr 04, 2016 - NOA2 hardcopy received

Apr 04, 2016 - NVC Received
Apr 12, 2016 - Case # Assigned

Apr 19, 2016 - Paid AOS and IV fees (finally! :ranting: )
Apr 20, 2016 - AOS and IV fees show PAID

Apr 27, 2016 - Scan date

May 16, 2016 - Case complete

May 25, 2016 - Interview date assigned: Jul 14, 2016

May 26, 2016 - P4 received

May 31, 2016 - CEAC Status changed to "In Transit"

Jun 01, 2016 - CEAC Status changed to "Ready"

Jul 14, 2016 - Visa Approved!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Post violating the TOS (personal attacks and abusive language) removed. Administrative Action taken.***

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Don't mind those that are overly critical. There's a certain segment of the population who NEEDS to have an authoritarian presence in their life - whether because of genetics or upbringing. They need to be told what to do and not really think for themselves on critical matters. The unfortunate thing (beyond that) is that they usually don't see their own faults, addictions and shortcomings as they criticize others. It's a shield to help insulate them, and that's why they go to great lengths and have great passion when focusing on the faults (or what they consider faults) of others. Usually the more intensely they criticize the more they have to cover.

Keep us posted on how things go =)

And that ladies and gentleman was a beautifully articulated piece by gryphon that I could not have said better myself!!!

The post that was removed and to which gryphon was referring to was a prime example of the kind of opinionated bs that is not warranted....

I-129f sent by USPS - 21/01/2016

NOA1 - 25/01/2016

NOA2 - 15/03/2016

NVC received file - 04/04/2016

NVC case # received - 07/04/2016

DS-160 completed upon receipt of case # and medical booked

London received - 14/04/2016

Medical - 15/04/2016

Waited impatiently for interview but the new system was introduced 03/05/2016 and I booked myself

Interview - 01/06/2016

Approved- 01/06/2016

AOS/EAD/AP

Filed - 26/08/2016

NOA1 - 02/09/2016

Biometrics - 28/09/2016

EAD approval - 28/10/2016

AP approval - 29/10/2016

I can't tell you how its gonna be in the future, But i can tell you it will be worse off if we give up!!

Filed: Timeline

The three months starts 6 weeks after the medical, to give him enough time for the drugs to clear his system. From that point there will be 3 short notice drug tests in 3 months. So I guess it's really a 4.5 month ban in a way.

Hmm is it me? I read this a few times and im just not sure. Its obviously not a word by word transference from the letter/email so i dont know.

I remember seeing someones actual denial notice like that and there being a discussion about it but it was a long time ago. From what I remember it was the same sorta. You start with the date of the medical and add 6 weeks. That starts the 3 month tests. So lets say medical was Jan 1 2016. Six weeks to be clean is Feb 12th. Three months from that date you take a drug test- May 12. You then take another drug test with in the next 3 months (test 1) So anywhere from May 12 - Aug 12 can be a test. Then test 2 would occur between Aug 12-Nov 12 and finally test 3 in Nov 12-Feb 12. Which puts us a a 1 year frame.

The above quote seems like it could someone explaining the situation I described- a 1 year ban.

Hmm is it me? I read this a few times and im just not sure. Its obviously not a word by word transference from the letter/email so i dont know.

I remember seeing someones actual denial notice like that and there being a discussion about it but it was a long time ago. From what I remember it was the same sorta. You start with the date of the medical and add 6 weeks. That starts the 3 month tests. So lets say medical was Jan 1 2016. Six weeks to be clean is Feb 12th. Three months from that date you take a drug test- May 12. You then take another drug test with in the next 3 months (test 1) So anywhere from May 12 - Aug 12 can be a test. Then test 2 would occur between Aug 12-Nov 12 and finally test 3 in Nov 12-Feb 12. Which puts us a a 1 year frame.

The above quote seems like it could someone explaining the situation I described- a 1 year ban.

I dont think this is the case for my husband, but I do follow you logic. Our letter says 3 tests in 3 months - not 1 test in 3 months, 3 times.

I just double checked the wording on the letter to make sure.

Filed: Timeline

Well I do wish you the shortest ban possible. I didnt read your other thread. I will say I am pretty opposed to the current drug policies but thats another topic.

But does the letter say 3 tests in 3 months. (PERIOD) or does it say 3 tests in 3 month ??? duration? periods? increment? Did it say anything after? You can always email the embassy for clarification. They should be able to tell you the exact date he would be eligible to come back. I would just hate to see you get your hopes up and then find out this was an error. Because its either an error or a huge shift in policy that is seemingly unannounced which is unprecedented.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Well I do wish you the shortest ban possible. I didnt read your other thread. I will say I am pretty opposed to the current drug policies but thats another topic.

But does the letter say 3 tests in 3 months. (PERIOD) or does it say 3 tests in 3 month ??? duration? periods? increment? Did it say anything after? You can always email the embassy for clarification. They should be able to tell you the exact date he would be eligible to come back. I would just hate to see you get your hopes up and then find out this was an error. Because its either an error or a huge shift in policy that is seemingly unannounced which is unprecedented.

I've actually sighted the letter in question and OP has been clear with what it states and how it reads, it is 3 tests over 3 months, which is reiterated twice on the letter, firstly in the main body of the content and also in a summary.

So let's assume this is a shift in policy associated with the fact that the general stance on the use of weed has been relaxed over the last few years, even in the UK where we haven't seen any form of actual legalisation, there has been a reported decline in arrests associated with possession and use as seemingly the risks attached to it have reduced over the years, baring in mind you can now buy a joint from a vending machine in Amsterdam, would it be fair to then suggest that due to the more relaxed perspective on the use of weed that the USCIS have decided to take a view on this? Remember that they shifted from a total outright ban some years back to a 1 year ban.

It would be logical to assume the severity of the ban would be linked to the severity of the use and also the type of drug! I'm pretty certain if the use of heroin or meth was detected it would be a different issue altogether.

I'm certain OP will keep the site updated on the progression of this topic as it may be relevant to people down the line.

I-129f sent by USPS - 21/01/2016

NOA1 - 25/01/2016

NOA2 - 15/03/2016

NVC received file - 04/04/2016

NVC case # received - 07/04/2016

DS-160 completed upon receipt of case # and medical booked

London received - 14/04/2016

Medical - 15/04/2016

Waited impatiently for interview but the new system was introduced 03/05/2016 and I booked myself

Interview - 01/06/2016

Approved- 01/06/2016

AOS/EAD/AP

Filed - 26/08/2016

NOA1 - 02/09/2016

Biometrics - 28/09/2016

EAD approval - 28/10/2016

AP approval - 29/10/2016

I can't tell you how its gonna be in the future, But i can tell you it will be worse off if we give up!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.