janamaria

Establishing Domicile. Help Much Appreciated!

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey everyone!

Would massively appreciate your help everyone if you could!

I am a dual citizen (UK and US) and I am about to petition for my husband (UK citizen) so we can move to the US together.

DOMICILE! I was born in the UK and have lived here my whole life. I once lived in the US (for about five months) travelling and staying with different family members, I also got my social security number while I was there during this time. Would this short amount of time count as having once had domicile in the US? If not, I realise I have to then prove my concrete plans to establish domicile in the US. Examples on official websites to do this are- a job offer, rental agreement or enrolling kids in school. My husband and I are self-employed, were planning on travelling so would have no rental needs, and have no children, so none of these options really work for us. Are there any other ways to establish domicile?

Thanks in advance!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hey everyone!

Would massively appreciate your help everyone if you could!

I am a dual citizen (UK and US) and I am about to petition for my husband (UK citizen) so we can move to the US together.

DOMICILE! I was born in the UK and have lived here my whole life. I once lived in the US (for about five months) travelling and staying with different family members, I also got my social security number while I was there during this time. Would this short amount of time count as having once had domicile in the US? If not, I realise I have to then prove my concrete plans to establish domicile in the US. Examples on official websites to do this are- a job offer, rental agreement or enrolling kids in school. My husband and I are self-employed, were planning on travelling so would have no rental needs, and have no children, so none of these options really work for us. Are there any other ways to establish domicile?

Thanks in advance!

Well the most important thing you have to do is get a domicile. You have to have a APT, HOME, Room something.

Here is the list to think of some things but a lease or a letter of a friend you will live with something to show that you are truly coming and staying in the US.

Domicile

Please note, if the petitioner lives with the beneficiary abroad, you'll need to provide proof of US domicile with the AOS package, as well as bring it with you to the interview. Please read the I-864 instructions (pages 3 and 4) for information about it. This is NOT needed if the petitioner is living in the US. Here is a sample cover letter to include in the package (it lists MANY possible documents, some may not be applicable, of course, to prove that you have, or will re-establish, domicile in the US):

NAME

SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER

Form I-864

Part 4, Question 5: Country of Domicile

I, XXXX, am currently residing in FOREIGN COUNTRY with my spouse, SPOUSE'S NAME. Below you will find a list of attached documents to show that my principal residence is in the US and the steps that I have taken to return to the US with my family.

Steps I have taken to maintain US Domicile:

• Maintained my XXXX voter registration

• Maintained my XXXX credit card registered in the US with a US PO box

• Maintained my bank account at the XXXX Credit Union

• Maintained my bank account at XXXX Bank

• Maintained my XXXX drivers license

• Maintained my US retirement fund through XXXX

• Maintained my US investment account with XXXX

• Maintained my US PO box

• Maintained licensure by the XXXX

• Maintained membership in the XXXX

• Maintained my automobile in care of my parents

Supporting Documents for the above steps I have taken:

• Voter registration card showing permanent US address

• XXXX credit card statement showing US billing address

• XXXX Credit Union statement showing permanent US address

• XXXX Bank statement showing permanent US address

• XXXX drivers license showing permanent US address

• Retirement fund statement showing permanent US address

• Mutual fund statement showing permanent US address

• XXXX license currently up to date

• Renewal of XXXX membership

• County tax bill showing I still own a vehicle

Steps I have taken to return to the US to take up residence:

• Made arrangements for us to have a house to live in

• Contacted schools for requirements of things to bring to register my children in school

• Contacted my auto insurance company to find out about re-instating my insurance on my car

• Contacted shipping company for estimate of costs to ship belongings

Supporting documents for the above steps I have taken:

• Lease agreement for our house

• Email from schools regarding registration requirements

• Email from my former auto insurance company regarding my inquiry

• Email from XXXX with estimate and correspondence regarding shipping our belongings

I declare that I intend in good faith to re-establish my domicile in the United States no later than the date of spouse's admission into the US.

I certify under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States that the statements in this letter and all accompanying evidence are true and correct.

Signature: ____________________________________________________ Date: ______________________

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

To petition, you do not have to have domicile in the US,

"If you reside outside of the United States where USCIS has an international office, you may file at the USCIS Chicago Lockbox facility or at the USCIS international office in the country in which you reside. If you reside outside of the United States where USCIS does not have an international office, you may file at the U.S. Embassy or consulate having jurisdiction over the area where you live only if exceptional circumstances exist and the USCIS Field Office Director with jurisdiction over that location determines that the Embassy or consulate may accept and adjudicate the case. For a list of USCIS international offices and filing instructions please visit www.uscis.gov/international."

BUT, after you are approved for the petition, you will need to file an I864, in which you will need to be domiciled in the US.

See this VERY informative web page on the EXACT same issue you are facing:

http://lawandborder.com/issues-for-u-s-citizens-expats-in-filing-the-form-i-130-immigrant-petition-for-alien-relative/

So you will need to do some work in order to prove domicile in the U.S.

Jan 25, 2014: I-129F Sent

Feb 13, 2014: NOA1

Apr 15,2014: NOA2 Notice Via USCIS Web Site

Apr 22, 2014: NOA2 Received In Postal Mail

Apr 28: 2014: NVC Received

Apr 30: 2014: NVC Left

May 09, 2014: Embassy Received

Jul 08, 2014: Interview - Approved - CEAC Status Ready

Jul 14 2014: CEAC updated but still READY Status

Jul 16 2014: CEAC Status changed to Administrative Processing

Jul 22 2014: CEAC Status changed to Issued

Jul 28 2014: VISA received

Aug 06 2014: U.S. Arrival (Ft. Lauderdale POE)

Children (3 kids)

Apr 28 2015: Filed I130 petition for each child

Aug 21 2015: Notice from USCIS that all 3 petitions transferred to California Service Center

Sep 17 2015: Approval for all 3 petitions

Nov 12 2015: Paid one AOS fee for all 3 children

Nov 13 2015: Paid separate IV fees for all 3 children

Dec 04 2015: Filed Affidavit of Support (I864) for each child

Jan 12 2016: Received RFE for missing birth certificate from one of the kids packet

Jan 13 2016: Sent in RFE evidence ( birth certificate copy .... again O_o )

Jan 19 2016: Received notice that they received the RFE evidence

Feb 22 2016: Called and found out another RFE was being sent out about birth certificate

Feb 24 2016: Sent in (inextensa versions, not de acta versions) of birth certificates for all children

Mar 02 2016: Received notice that they received the RFE evidence

Mar 11 2016: NVC Process finished, now awaiting interview time slot to be scheduled

Mar 29 2016: Called NVC and found out today they scheduled interview

Apr 01 2016: Received Packet 4 notice via e-mail with interview date

Apr 25 2016: Children received P4 letters in the mail

May 19 2016: Interview

Jun 03 2016: Received Visas

Jul 06 2016: Travel to US

Timeline

Well the most important thing you have to do is get a domicile. You have to have a APT, HOME, Room something.

Here is the list to think of some things but a lease or a letter of a friend you will live with something to show that you are truly coming and staying in the US.

Domicile

Please note, if the petitioner lives with the beneficiary abroad, you'll need to provide proof of US domicile with the AOS package, as well as bring it with you to the interview. Please read the I-864 instructions (pages 3 and 4) for information about it. This is NOT needed if the petitioner is living in the US. Here is a sample cover letter to include in the package (it lists MANY possible documents, some may not be applicable, of course, to prove that you have, or will re-establish, domicile in the US):

NAME

SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER

Form I-864

Part 4, Question 5: Country of Domicile

I, XXXX, am currently residing in FOREIGN COUNTRY with my spouse, SPOUSE'S NAME. Below you will find a list of attached documents to show that my principal residence is in the US and the steps that I have taken to return to the US with my family.

Steps I have taken to maintain US Domicile:

• Maintained my XXXX voter registration

• Maintained my XXXX credit card registered in the US with a US PO box

• Maintained my bank account at the XXXX Credit Union

• Maintained my bank account at XXXX Bank

• Maintained my XXXX drivers license

• Maintained my US retirement fund through XXXX

• Maintained my US investment account with XXXX

• Maintained my US PO box

• Maintained licensure by the XXXX

• Maintained membership in the XXXX

• Maintained my automobile in care of my parents

Supporting Documents for the above steps I have taken:

• Voter registration card showing permanent US address

• XXXX credit card statement showing US billing address

• XXXX Credit Union statement showing permanent US address

• XXXX Bank statement showing permanent US address

• XXXX drivers license showing permanent US address

• Retirement fund statement showing permanent US address

• Mutual fund statement showing permanent US address

• XXXX license currently up to date

• Renewal of XXXX membership

• County tax bill showing I still own a vehicle

Steps I have taken to return to the US to take up residence:

• Made arrangements for us to have a house to live in

• Contacted schools for requirements of things to bring to register my children in school

• Contacted my auto insurance company to find out about re-instating my insurance on my car

• Contacted shipping company for estimate of costs to ship belongings

Supporting documents for the above steps I have taken:

• Lease agreement for our house

• Email from schools regarding registration requirements

• Email from my former auto insurance company regarding my inquiry

• Email from XXXX with estimate and correspondence regarding shipping our belongings

I declare that I intend in good faith to re-establish my domicile in the United States no later than the date of spouse's admission into the US.

I certify under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States that the statements in this letter and all accompanying evidence are true and correct.

Signature: ____________________________________________________ Date: ______________________

Thanks so much for this! I will look at these examples for sure. Do I need to have a house/apartment/room straight away? If we were going to visit my family for a couple of weeks before travelling/looking for our own place could I use this as our domicile?

To petition, you do not have to have domicile in the US,

"If you reside outside of the United States where USCIS has an international office, you may file at the USCIS Chicago Lockbox facility or at the USCIS international office in the country in which you reside. If you reside outside of the United States where USCIS does not have an international office, you may file at the U.S. Embassy or consulate having jurisdiction over the area where you live only if exceptional circumstances exist and the USCIS Field Office Director with jurisdiction over that location determines that the Embassy or consulate may accept and adjudicate the case. For a list of USCIS international offices and filing instructions please visit www.uscis.gov/international."

BUT, after you are approved for the petition, you will need to file an I864, in which you will need to be domiciled in the US.

See this VERY informative web page on the EXACT same issue you are facing:

http://lawandborder.com/issues-for-u-s-citizens-expats-in-filing-the-form-i-130-immigrant-petition-for-alien-relative/

So you will need to do some work in order to prove domicile in the U.S.

Thank you, I will have a look at this link now. Is that right that I have to do some work to prove domicile? I thought just a job offer would count?

you need to come ahead of him and set up domicile.

I'm not sure this is right! From what I have read I just have to prove I am planning to establish domicile?

Youre filing via DCF correct?

Yes I am! Does that make a difference to the domicile issue? Thanks for replying!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Are your US income tax filings sorted out? The US taxes on worldwide income. You may not owe US tax, but if you've earned more than $10k in any of the past 3 years you will need to submit copies of those returns or IRS transcripts.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Are your US income tax filings sorted out? The US taxes on worldwide income. You may not owe US tax, but if you've earned more than $10k in any of the past 3 years you will need to submit copies of those returns or IRS transcripts.

Thanks for replying! I have never worked in the US, do I still need to do this?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thanks for replying! I have never worked in the US, do I still need to do this?

Worldwide income. So yes, it applies to you.

Use the links in my signature below for I864 FAQ's and information about filing income taxes for 2013 - 2015.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Dumb question I guess.. but don't you have to "live" in the US to petition someone for immigration?

Also It's my understanding a petitioner must show intent to return to the US, not just domicile to file DCF?

9/26/2012 Met On-line

10/18/2012 Met at the Airport, Manila

1/8/2014 Married

2/17/2016 Filed I-130 DCF Manila

2/26/2016 NOA 2 "Approved"

3/14/2016 Medical Started

3/15/2016 Medical Completed

3/22/2016 Interview, Passed

3/28/2016 Visa status IR-1 "Issued"

3/31/2016 "Processed for delivery" / 2GO "In Transit"

4/1/2016 Delivered / Visa in hand..

2/17/2016 - 4/1/2016 / 45 days Start to Finish. :D

Dumb question I guess.. but don't you have to "live" in the US to petition someone for immigration?

Also It's my understanding a petitioner must show intent to return to the US, not just domicile to file DCF?

You're referring to "intent to reestablish domicile." This is an option for addressing the domicile requirement of I-864 sponsorship, and it's likely the one that janamaria will one to pursue.

janamaria, check the I-864 instructions for a bit more on domicile, including a starter list of evidence. The letter posted above is another good resource. Note, though, that it shows the two most common paths to addressing domicile – showing one has maintained and showing intent to reestablish – while you only need to go with one. NVC also has a bit on domicile in their I-864 FAQs.

For reestablishing domicile, you basically want to show that you are actively sorting things that need to be sorted in order to move, so finding a place and a job, preparing to ship your belongings, setting up school for any kids, and other things one does when one is preparing to move.

Each embassy/consulate is a bit different in how strict they are on this. There are plenty of posters around who have gone through London, and they might have some info for you on how strict it is.

2012: Married
2014 2016 2017: I-130 packet direct to Frankfurt

Frankfurt's "steps" to DCF:

Step 1: I-130 Petition Checklist (PDF, from their USCIS page)

Step 2: Immigrant/Fiance(e) & K-Visa Applicant Checklist (PDF, from their Appointment & Interview page)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.