Darrinos

Denied in Indonesia

53 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I did visit her in December. I went to Jakarta. We are in the process of getting the divorce done. Her big concern now is not being able to get the K-1. Does this happen often? I told her if it becomes a problem, then I would go there to marry her and start the process from here. I'm so new to all of this... I naively thought this would be easy but it's way more complicated than I'd thought! Nevertheless, I'm in it for the long haul... we just wish there was a "guarantee" of success.

By the way.... I have also contacted my congressman who is going to investigate the reasons for denial and has promised to send a "letter of support" of sorts when she re-applies. Has anyone had any success going at it from this direction?

D

Being denied as a tourist doesn't affect a K visa. Didn't for us.

Timeline

I don't know that congress persons have free time to help foreigners to find out denial reasons smh

They're paid to help us out with things like this

Signed: USC

Timeline

As others have mentioned, K-1 will be the best route.

As far as dealing with the embassy in Jakarta. I have nothing but good things to say about them. They were extremely responsive to emails, usually within 2 hours during business hours, and were very helpful and friendly. My wife came to the U.S. on a K-1 and we also had to do CRBA with the embassy for our son. We dealt with 2 different units at the embassy (CRBA and K-1) and both units were equally responsive and helpful.

Good luck on your journey and wish you the best.

Same here for the IV and CS sections.

The NIV folks are pretty nasty though. You missed a real treat.

Seems the best solution is to ask the guy that was successful after 7 attempts. He found the key to the door. Ask him.

$160 visa fees * 7 attempts = $1,120. Ouch! Seems like quite the investment for him for the privilege to visit for 6 months, then return home.

Signature coming soon...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Your chances of getting approved on a K1 visa are actually much, much higher than on a tourist visa.

Or at least the chances of being considered. COs approach NIV applications with the presumption of "no," and they're supposed to approach IV applications (K-1, CR-1) with a neutral mindset.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

$160 visa fees * 7 attempts = $1,120. Ouch! Seems like quite the investment for him for the privilege to visit for 6 months, then return home.

Seriously, with that kind of cash spent, he had enough for a K-1 AOS!

Filed: Other Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Amhara, thanks for the suggestions. Some of your questions were things I had not considered. You also said "Thank goodness for neutral third countries!" What do you mean by this?

Expat1, YES, it's frustrating for sure, but we have no choice but to play along. You said I'll have to "date her in her own country". What do you mean by that? I agree, going to Indonesia is definitely not a bad thing...such a beautiful place. Although I have visited her once, and hope to do so again in a few months, we do most of our "dating" via Skype. It's fun to go shopping, ride in the car, etc., without the traffic! Nothing, however, can replace being there, and even though we talk everyday, I miss her like crazy!

This woman is simply remarkable, and whatever I need to do, that's what I'll do to spend my life with her. Sounds like there may be many challenges on the road ahead, but again, if that's what it takes to be with this angel of a woman, point me toward heaven! I'll find the way. I appreciate everyone's comments so far. You've truly been helpful and kind.

Darrinos

Timeline

WandY, his suggestion was to contact the congressman, but everyone here basically says that's a waste of time. It seems that the same thing doesn't apply to all countries/Embassy's/situations.

Darrinos

Amhara, thanks for the suggestions. Some of your questions were things I had not considered. You also said "Thank goodness for neutral third countries!" What do you mean by this?

Meaning that if I had to visit my guy in Afghanistan, there was a high possibility that I could get my white girl head cut off. However, the chances of my murder drastically decrease in a neutral third country - I quite prefer that option.

Signature coming soon...

Timeline

So tell me... how do/did you all deal with the frustrations? I mean, the woman I dearly love, the woman that I long and ache for is on the other side of the planet. I cannot simply drive by, or even take a weekend trip. We cannot visit each other after a days work, a week or even every month. We cannot kiss or touch. It's like dying of thirst, and knowing where the water is, but not able to get there, or needing food, or air and unable to get to the source. I feel like Bubble-boy... I can see it all, but can't touch it. We love one another so very much, and enjoy our communication, and that's a good thing because without that, the distance would be fatal. I'm sure we're not the only two to ever feel such a way, so tell me... how did you deal with the distance, time and frustration? They say absence makes the heart grow fonder, but how much fonder can it get? I truly believe that when it's all said and done, the things that we are dealing with will have been worth it. I'll call it a bargain.

Thanks,

Darrin

You can just move to Indonesia instead. :)

Immigration is a 2 way street.

Edited by Merrytooth

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

We knew it was going to be a long ride. We were committed and we were happy with each step that moved us forward. After my guy's interview, we were in AP for 59 days, but our case status switched to the very last step before the visa is issued. However, when other cases around ours was getting approved, we were not. We were stuck in that last stage for 40 days. We stayed focused more on our relationship than the visa. There were many times I wondered if I should go ahead and plan another trip or hold off and see if the visa would be issued.

Just stay focused on the next step because you will both have a lot of leg work. Research, research, research. See what you need to do now, and what you need to do next few steps ahead of you. Just be prepared and get moving, but be very patient. It's all worth it in the end!

Signature coming soon...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

And where do I find the definitions to all of these crazy acronyms and abbreviations? POE, NIV, AOS, NOA.... makes my head hurt!

Here ya go. :goofy:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/us-immigration-glossary

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.