KierenHby

Baby in the US on a B1/B2

31 posts in this topic

As I was browsing the Tourist Visa thread on another site, I ran across the following comments

I have been reading various post and I am confused
I would like to request for your kind assistance in providing me best solution/advise for below queries.
I am currently working in UAE (Dubai) and obtained 5years multiple entry B2 visa for my wife and myself. The intention is to have baby in USA soil in order to obtain US passport for the baby. It may sound weird but I think this would be the best for my child. The reason behind is to secure child’s future as my current nationality is of no value.

1. Will I be questioned about wife’s pregnancy at POE? What would be the best answer in order to get through?

2. What would be the min/max expense to cover a delivery in New York? Normal & C-Section?
3. What would be the best hospital in NY with reasonable cost?
4. Is there any medical coverage for pregnancy with visitor’s visa?
5. After baby is delivered, how long does it take to obtain baby’s passport?
6. If B2 visa duration i.e. six months stay is expired, will it be possible to extend?
Appreciate your response and help.
Thank you
Best regards

Another one...

I am also from UAE and planning to have our baby in USA. We have B1/B2 visa, given the scenario

1. Is it legally and ethically acceptable by Immigration to come to US for this purpose. Provided we can give proof of financial stability and will not be burden on US tax payers money.
2. If a child is born then will he get the US passport by virtue of his birth on American Soil?

3. Can he hold dual nationality?

4. Will the baby get the passport in a months time or do we have to visit again?
Thanks in advance.

And..

If Chinese are doing this then why are you advising not to try.

Finally, the most recent one..

Dear all,
My wife and myself have B1/B2 visa... I have been to US before about 10 months ago...
my wife is now pregnant, and we are planning to travel to US when she is between 28 - 30 weeks pregnancy and give birth there.

I don't have a medical insurance in US, but I will carry about 15,000 to 20,000 USD cash when I arrive, that is addition to the credit cards I have.

My only concern is :
The risk at the POE, what is the risk of being denued entry? had anyone experienced this? and what should I say if asked?
especially that I have my business here in my country and I do have 2 other sons (they are not joining us in this trip)

Note: These are comments from a different site, and I'm looking for vj member thoughts on the issue of birth tourism.

Edited by KierenHby

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

What you want to do is illegal. Please tell US CBP that your wife intends to enter the US with a visitor visa to have a US born child. See what happens.

"If Chinese are doing this then why are you advising not to try." Read this and come back and tell us that the US is okay with your plan; http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/03/03/california-chinese-birth-tourism-raids/24338087/

Just because some people get away with doing something illegal, it doesn't mean it's allowed.

Filed: Timeline

I suggest reading this article.

"...The State department says there is no law barring foreigners from traveling to the U.S. for the purpose of giving birth. The tourism visa they usually travel on, known as a B-2 visa, allows foreigners to enter the U.S. for "medical treatment."

As long as applicants are truthful about their intentions, prove they can afford their medical care, explain why they can't have the procedure done in their home country and assert that they will abide by the time restrictions of their visa, such travel is generally allowed under U.S. law, according to the department.

However, since "birth tourists" are trying to skirt the law, the State department is adding staff to work on canceling visas of pregnant women who deceive immigration officials, said Gary Chodorow, a U.S. immigration lawyer based in China. He said the U.S. Embassy website should post explicit warnings that lying about the purpose of a visit could result in permanent ineligibility for a U.S. visa..."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/04/01/china-usa-birth-tourists-business-strong/24887837/

Here is another one

Taiwanese mom who gave birth on flight to U.S. separated from baby

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/taiwanese-woman-who-gave-birth-during-china-airlines-flight-deported-from-u-s-in-legal-trouble/

This made a big news back in Taiwan. Many websites, netizens condemning the irresponsible Mother.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

It's the "truthful about intentions" part that most people doing this struggle to achieve.

It's not just people from developing and/or politically unstable countries that do it. I worked with someone who booked a trip to Florida around the time his wife was due to give birth. He mistakenly believed that being the father of a baby born in the USA would automatically give him a green card for life the minute the birth was registered.

It also happens here in the UK. My mother is a midwife and at any one time around 10% of the women in the unit where she works are here with some sort of visitor status, purely to have a baby and get a British passport.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

i say focus on birthing in Guam and paying a midwife.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Well if your pregnant wife is allowed on the flight just inform CBP on arrival

your intention of birthing paying etc...they;ll take it from there, some politicians

call them anchor babies, also bear in mind , some hospitals in some states are

refusing to release a birth-cert for these babies

It also happens here in the UK. My mother is a midwife and at any one time around 10% of the women in the unit where she works are here with some sort of visitor status, purely to have a baby and get a British passport.

Jus soli hasn't been true in the uk since January 1st 1983, they get indefinite leave to remain but subject to immigration control not a British passport and have to remain in the uk for 5 years in order to apply for citizenship.

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

What you want to do is illegal. Please tell US CBP that your wife intends to enter the US with a visitor visa to have a US born child. See what happens.

"If Chinese are doing this then why are you advising not to try." Read this and come back and tell us that the US is okay with your plan; http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/03/03/california-chinese-birth-tourism-raids/24338087/

Just because some people get away with doing something illegal, it doesn't mean it's allowed.

Hey it's not me (I was quoting others who've posted on a different site)

See my signature

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Jus soli hasn't been true in the uk since January 1st 1983, they get indefinite leave to remain but subject to immigration control not a British passport and have to remain in the uk for 5 years in order to apply for citizenship.

That certainly doesn't stop them trying. They also get their free HIV treatment too. A large number of them are HIV positive.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Raids on those "birth tourism centers" had nothing to do with birth tourism itself. They were because those shady establishments were violating zoning codes and committing fraud.

Here is another one

Taiwanese mom who gave birth on flight to U.S. separated from baby

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/taiwanese-woman-who-gave-birth-during-china-airlines-flight-deported-from-u-s-in-legal-trouble/

This made a big news back in Taiwan. Many websites, netizens condemning the irresponsible Mother.

Her denial of entry had nothing to do with intent to have a baby in the US after entry, obviously, because, she had already given birth by the time she reached the US POE.

Edited by newacct

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

As I was browsing the Tourist Visa thread on another site, I ran across the following comments

I have been reading various post and I am confused

I would like to request for your kind assistance in providing me best solution/advise for below queries.

I am currently working in UAE (Dubai) and obtained 5years multiple entry B2 visa for my wife and myself. The intention is to have baby in USA soil in order to obtain US passport for the baby. It may sound weird but I think this would be the best for my child. The reason behind is to secure child’s future as my current nationality is of no value.

1. Will I be questioned about wife’s pregnancy at POE? What would be the best answer in order to get through?

2. What would be the min/max expense to cover a delivery in New York? Normal & C-Section?

3. What would be the best hospital in NY with reasonable cost?

4. Is there any medical coverage for pregnancy with visitor’s visa?

5. After baby is delivered, how long does it take to obtain baby’s passport?

6. If B2 visa duration i.e. six months stay is expired, will it be possible to extend?

Appreciate your response and help.

Thank you

Best regards

Another one...

I am also from UAE and planning to have our baby in USA. We have B1/B2 visa, given the scenario

1. Is it legally and ethically acceptable by Immigration to come to US for this purpose. Provided we can give proof of financial stability and will not be burden on US tax payers money.

2. If a child is born then will he get the US passport by virtue of his birth on American Soil?

3. Can he hold dual nationality?

4. Will the baby get the passport in a months time or do we have to visit again?

Thanks in advance.

And..

If Chinese are doing this then why are you advising not to try.

Finally, the most recent one..

Dear all,

My wife and myself have B1/B2 visa... I have been to US before about 10 months ago...

my wife is now pregnant, and we are planning to travel to US when she is between 28 - 30 weeks pregnancy and give birth there.

I don't have a medical insurance in US, but I will carry about 15,000 to 20,000 USD cash when I arrive, that is addition to the credit cards I have.

My only concern is :

The risk at the POE, what is the risk of being denued entry? had anyone experienced this? and what should I say if asked?

especially that I have my business here in my country and I do have 2 other sons (they are not joining us in this trip)

Note: These are comments from a different site, and I'm looking for vj member thoughts on the issue of birth tourism.

I think the US should apply the same policy that other countries apply to USC's overseas. Go to your embassy/consulate, register the birth there, get a passport from your home country. I do not believe states should issue birth certificates to children born to tourists.

I think the US should apply the same policy that other countries apply to USC's overseas. Go to your embassy/consulate, register the birth there, get a passport from your home country. I do not believe states should issue birth certificates to children born to tourists.

Actually, ALL countries are supposed to issue birth certificates to children born in their jurisdiction, regardless of status.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Birth Tourism is big business, now you are supposed to show funds but I have come across many examples where Emergency Medicaid has been used.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-5 Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Someone I know did that and immigration officers asked them if they have the money to have the child in us, they had to deposit $4,000 and show evidence that they have the money to have baby and they were allowed to have baby. But it also depends on the officer too. Also know another person who was sent back on the next flight. So it's your luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.