AnAmericanInLove

Drug Possession Charge...I'm sure you've heard this before...

158 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Have you spoken to a waiver Lawyer?

Not sure where you see an interpretation issue. What are you trying to explain? As a general comment it does not matter what he served, it is what the maximum he could have served , but that is not relevant for a conviction of this nature.

What do you mean by practical skills?

US Law does punish people many times for the same crime. I know someone who has a felony, silly matter from many many years ago, can not work a minimum wage job at the Post Office.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

US law says a person who committed a silly felony ages ago can't work at a post office?! Oh my goodness, I am so disgusted by that. I guess the justice system in the United States doesn't really have rehabilitation and people back to functioning in society at heart.

What I meant by interpretation is whether the 601 part IV no39 is allowed to be used to explain the drug conviction and I don't think all drug crimes besides the 30g of marijuana waiver are inadmissable. The law is not absolute, and It is still a case by case basis on how these matters are dealt with, no?

And the Immigration officer is someone who is familiar with Dutch culture and life, I am sure they are more mature about this issue.

Timeline

What I meant by interpretation is whether the 601 part IV no39 is allowed to be used to explain the drug conviction and I don't think all drug crimes besides the 30g of marijuana waiver are inadmissible. The law is not absolute, and It is still a case by case basis on how these matters are dealt with, no?

And the Immigration officer is someone who is familiar with Dutch culture and life, I am sure they are more mature about this issue.

Sounds like you have not spoken to a Waiver Lawyer.

Why do you think that this does not make him inadmissible?, you have thrown quite a few things out there without any support.

Why do you thing the law is negotiable? The relevant sections have been quoted.

He will be found inadmissible due to law, some issues can be waived and you would them be given the opportunity in such a case to submit a waiver package. But you have at least one issue not waiverable as you have explained it here.

This is a US Law issue, what has Dutch culture and life to do with it?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

US law says a person who committed a silly felony ages ago can't work at a post office?! Oh my goodness, I am so disgusted by that. I guess the justice system in the United States doesn't really have rehabilitation and people back to functioning in society at heart.

What I meant by interpretation is whether the 601 part IV no39 is allowed to be used to explain the drug conviction and I don't think all drug crimes besides the 30g of marijuana waiver are inadmissable. The law is not absolute, and It is still a case by case basis on how these matters are dealt with, no?

Hew immigrating to America. Dutch culture should be considered why? Edited by Transborderwife

Timeline

You have been told to contact a Waiver Lawyer.

http://immigrate2us.net/forum/showthread.php?91329-Immigration-Lawyers-Recommended-by-I2US-Members

Here is a list of Lawyers, pick one.

Or two.

Timeline

lol. look. i've got to have two lawyers on this case already. Talking to a a bunch of waiver lawyers for long enough for them to hook me isn't really what I'm going for here. We follow the process, deal with our lawyer, and take the hits as they come.

If I have to explain why culture and law are married themselves, i've lost hope in humanity. lol.

Timeline

It has no place in American immigration. Not just in this case but with other customs and situations.

If you have two lawyers what exactly are you looking for here as we are a diy site?

Timeline

Oh, sorry, I apologize. It's all DIY? Well, I guess I don't belong here if sharing information, discussion, and questions are discouraged. I didn't know having a lawyer disqualified me from this forum. Hey, wouldn't it be nice to share if something positive happened and other people could have a better time with their DIY situation.

Pardon me.

Timeline

You seem to be ignoring the information you have been given. Platitudes will not get him a visa.

Timeline

You seem to be ignoring the information you have been given. Platitudes will not get him a visa.

Exactly. What you're looking for is beyond the diy realm

Edited by Transborderwife

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

lol. look. i've got to have two lawyers on this case already. Talking to a a bunch of waiver lawyers for long enough for them to hook me isn't really what I'm going for here. We follow the process, deal with our lawyer, and take the hits as they come.

You have two lawyers but are the specialized in and familiar with immigration law? "Lawyer" is not a catch all. There's all manner of different types and you want to be consulting the ones that are relevant and experienced in what you need. You do not want "a lawyer" who's only experience is whatever his secretary dug up about a subject.

I don't understand why they're digging in here rather than taking the help that you came here for. This is a largely DIY site however some cases are outside of that purview and more professional help is appropriate. This case I believe warrants a free consultation with an experienced lawyer at the least to see what your realistic and legal options are.

At the end of the day however it is your choice, so you do what you want.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Good luck with your case. It's a hard enough time to be away from your loved one during the visa process, even harder with something like this coming up.

Edited by IamIan

You've received solid advice throughout this thread, chief amongst it being "consult an experienced waiver attorney", and given details of one of the most knowledgeable attorneys of that type who would give you a consultation for free.

At this point the ball is in your court. Maybe you just don't want to hear a flat-out "no", since I strongly suspect his drug offence has no waiver available, at least one attorney has already told you this, and I think any other reputable lawyer will say the same. IANAL however, and it's entirely possible they can see something I cannot, which would probably be why they are a lawyer and I'm sitting here posting this.

You can certainly continue to pontificate about US drug policy or whatever else you feel the need to expound upon, but if you want to actually do something to directly affect your case then you now have the road map to do that.

Good luck in your choice.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline

Alright forum, I'm not too big to ask for help. That's why I'm here. I've got three waiver lawyers to contact in the next 12 hours. I'll be back with the news.

Take care.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.