AnAmericanInLove

Drug Possession Charge...I'm sure you've heard this before...

158 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

We have a copy of the summary, which is not officially from the court. We have to obtain certified records, and it's not so easy when their 19 years old. I'm waiting for anything. Even the copy doesn't give a court we can go to, only a post office box.

Where is it from?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

It's a signed report, with the address of the Ministry of Justice post office box. It has a reference number, so there is some hope there. If we get to the interview and they will want full records of everything. So, we're trying to track down this long lost case.

Timeline

My assumption is that the report you have will be sufficient for the Consulate.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The truth is what matters. So, if it disqualifies him, it was still money well spent. :-)

I am going to enjoy this process.

For that it's up to the medical examiner. Once he admits a past use, only if it's once, they'll most likely make him take a drug test. If that comes back clear and the medical examiner doesn't think he has a current habit then it'll be fine.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

For that it's up to the medical examiner. Once he admits a past use, only if it's once, they'll most likely make him take a drug test. If that comes back clear and the medical examiner doesn't think he has a current habit then it'll be fine.

I thought the OP said he was charged with possession, not usage.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

The Consulate determine he bans, the ones he is currently looking at:

• Lifetime bar no waiver possession of drugs.
  • Misrep, lying on ESTA, lifetime bar waiverable.
  • Medical bar, drug use one year no waiver.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Here's a better list:

Major Grounds of Inadmissibility Classes of Inadmissibility Waivers Available? People with communicable diseases like tuberculosis Yes

People with physical or mental disorders that may cause harm to themselves or others Yes

Drug abusers or addicts No

Drug traffickers No

People without proper vaccinations Yes

People with convictions for crimes involving moral turpitude Yes

People who have violated immigration laws Yes

Prostitutes Yes

People with multiple criminal convictions Yes

Spies No

Terrorists No

Nazis No

People likely to become dependent on need-based government assistance No

So the bigger question: Is a one-time arrest of possession the same as drug trafficking?

I would think that the OP's fiance has a good chance at a visa.

And, as others have tried to incorrectly state, Possession does not mean that they were users. So if never used, then the answer at the medical is No, never used drugs.

Edited by baron555

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

So the bigger question: Is a one-time arrest of possession the same as drug trafficking?

I would think that the OP's fiance has a good chance at a visa.

And, as others have tried to incorrectly state, Possession does not mean that they were users. So if never used, then the answer at the medical is No, never used drugs.

You are confusing medical and criminal inadmissibility.

And they only need reason to believe. And if possession is not reason to believe I have no idea what is.

Edited by Boiler

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Well, I see your points, and what he is up against. It could go either way. I'm keeping the hope alive and the prayer. If Boiler thinks it's not possible, that's fine. We don't have to agree.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.