AnAmericanInLove

Drug Possession Charge...I'm sure you've heard this before...

158 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Alright forum, I'm not too big to ask for help. That's why I'm here. I've got three waiver lawyers to contact in the next 12 hours. I'll be back with the news.

Take care.

Glad to hear it. Immigration truly is no place for whimsy and just throwing things out there just to see what sticks is a waste of time, money, and leads to an awful lot of disappointment.

Professional guidance on options are your best bet here.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Glad to hear it. Immigration truly is no place for whimsy and just throwing things out there just to see what sticks is a waste of time, money, and leads to an awful lot of disappointment.

Professional guidance on options are your best bet here.

Totally agee.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Okay. Liz Cannon is the only waiver lawyer I've been able to get in touch with. I think I went overboard and contacted four or five waiver lawyers, but if I hear from two or three, that's fine.

Liz says it's a no go. No waiver for the conviction, even if there is a waiver for the misrepresentation. Of course, I couldn't provide her with the appropriate evidence, as the court documents are in dutch, and they appear to only be a summary. We are calling and have written for any other documents from the court or police, to show an amount or the actual substance.

If heaven and earth moved, I suppose there is some way to reopen and dismiss the original charges from 1997. However, I have no idea where to begin there, and without it being directly related to Tom's immigration status.

It's looking like a real long shot, and a part of me wonders if we should've said anything at all. However, I'm still going the truth route. I would rather everything be on the table, and if it doesn't work, at least we tried.

So, sending in last evidence documents today of the relationship.

If I get any other positive signs from waiver lawyers, you'll be the first to know. Take care and good luck with everything!

Timeline

Liz Cannon is highly respected, extremely well known in this sector, never seen a bad comment about her.

Can not Tom translate?

Usually reopening the case will not have an impact, did you discuss that with Liz.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Yes, we did discuss it. She mentioned the only way to have it be clear for immigration purposes was to have the original case reopened and dismisses, and made a non case. She says the fact that it is currently expunged makes no difference.

I'm not sure how to go about trying to have an expunged case reopened and dismissed, but if it's the only option, we can sure find out.

Haha. Yes, Tom translates, but not as well as I thought, because he misread a legal term in dutch that meant "possession", and said it was "trafficking" to all of us when reading the court summary. He nearly passed out from reading it the wrong way.

Everything I read from the Ministry of Justice here indicates that they destroy the records, but we won't know for sure until the city writes us back and tells us if any further evidence exists other than what we have.

I have to see a criminal lawyer here asap.

Timeline

What evidence does he have that he was innocent?

Timeline

No evidence that he was innocent.

The response from the MOJ is nothing but good behavior for his specific screening, and for the purposes of emigration to the United Sates there is no risk or issue of concern. Now, I know its the Ministry of Justice of the Netherlands, but the USA is not allowed to do more than we just did, which was write in to the MOJ and request the same screening. How are we supposed to prove something the government says doesn't exist?

When we called the police they said they would search, but since all records were paper in the 90's, who knows? Still waiting for any evidence really.

Timeline

No evidence that he was innocent.

I am confused, so what are you trying to do?

The response from the MOJ is nothing but good behavior for his specific screening, and for the purposes of emigration to the United Sates there is no risk or issue of concern. Now, I know its the Ministry of Justice of the Netherlands, but the USA is not allowed to do more than we just did, which was write in to the MOJ and request the same screening. How are we supposed to prove something the government says doesn't exist?

He has a criminal history, not sure what you are trying to say.

When we called the police they said they would search, but since all records were paper in the 90's, who knows? Still waiting for any evidence really.

Evidence of what?

Timeline

We can't prove the criminal history. The government says there is nothing in his criminal record .That was the specific screening we requested. Is that not an issue?

So if I'm reading this correctly. You have requested the "verklaring omtrend gedrag" ,which is the thing we dutch get to show the consulate they have no police record, and it came back clear (hope you got the international version of that one).

However you have stated in the rest of the application that there is a conviction, so you need to show paperwork for that?

If the trail was public, you might be able to get the transcripts directly from the Dutch court.

If you have paperwork and it is in dutch, have it translated by an licensed translator when needed.

We Dutch like to think we can speak any and all languages. But when it comes to specialty translations, it's easy to misread or misquote something. And nine out of ten times we are less fluent than we think.

Timeline

Exactly. We have requested any and all documents from the Dutch court. (We did get an international version of the VOG as well, and yes, it's clear). We of course had to submit the request in writing, and are still waiting. I would love to go in the court with my fiance, (its not far away), but I guess we have to wait.The Dutch have their own protocol. Patience, patience. lol.

Timeline

Of course, I couldn't provide her with the appropriate evidence, as the court documents are in dutch, and they appear to only be a summary.

So what's this?

Timeline

We have a copy of the summary, which is not officially from the court. We have to obtain certified records, and it's not so easy when their 19 years old. I'm waiting for anything. Even the copy doesn't give a court we can go to, only a post office box.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.