julian david

Bringing Someone to U.S.

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I came to the U.S with my mom four years ago when she married an American. I've had my green card since June 2013. I simply want to know if I could bring my girlfriend. How much money would the process cost? I work full time and make about 1400 a month. Do I need to make more money than that to prove that I can support someone? I live in northern Virginia. In the case that I could bring her, how long would the process take?

Thank you for your help.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

There are no fiancé visas available for foreign nationals wishing to marry U.S. permanent residents. Fiancé visas are available only to people coming to the United States to marry U.S. citizens.

There are ways to get yourself into the United States if you are the fiancé of a permanent resident, although they may take a long time. You can:

• Marry your fiancé first, then begin the entry process as a spouse of a permanent resident. This method involves your U.S. spouse submitting a visa petition to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on Form I-130, and attaching a copy of your marriage certificate; then you waiting (probably several years) for a visa to become available in this category (during which time you have no right to live in the U.S.); then you applying for an immigrant visa and entering the U.S. as a permanent resident. If your spouse becomes a citizen during this time, you automatically become an immediate relative, and can apply for your immigrant visa/green card right away.

• Wait until your fiancé becomes a U.S. citizen, and begin your entry process as a fiancé of a citizen. This method involves your U.S. spouse submitting a visa petition to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on Form I-129F, then you applying for a K-1 fiance visa and entering the U.S., then getting married within 90 days and applying for adjustment of status (a green card).

event.png

~~moved to what visa do I need from K1 process and procedures~~

You need to be a US citizen to petition for a fiancee. There are no girlfriend visas. Currently as an LPR you would need to be married to petition for a significant other. The process is longer than it is for a USC however.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

as said you have to be a USC to petition your fiancé

the only way around it is if you go to her country, marry, come back and start the immigration process, which will take around 2 years

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

There are no fiancé visas available for foreign nationals wishing to marry U.S. permanent residents. Fiancé visas are available only to people coming to the United States to marry U.S. citizens.

There are ways to get yourself into the United States if you are the fiancé of a permanent resident, although they may take a long time. You can:

• Marry your fiancé first, then begin the entry process as a spouse of a permanent resident. This method involves your U.S. spouse submitting a visa petition to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on Form I-130, and attaching a copy of your marriage certificate; then you waiting (probably several years) for a visa to become available in this category (during which time you have no right to live in the U.S.); then you applying for an immigrant visa and entering the U.S. as a permanent resident. If your spouse becomes a citizen during this time, you automatically become an immediate relative, and can apply for your immigrant visa/green card right away.

• Wait until your fiancé becomes a U.S. citizen, and begin your entry process as a fiancé of a citizen. This method involves your U.S. spouse submitting a visa petition to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on Form I-129F, then you applying for a K-1 fiance visa and entering the U.S., then getting married within 90 days and applying for adjustment of status (a green card).

~~moved to what visa do I need from K1 process and procedures~~

You need to be a US citizen to petition for a fiancee. There are no girlfriend visas. Currently as an LPR you would need to be married to petition for a significant other. The process is longer than it is for a USC however.

Do you know anything about the costs? How much money do I have to make to show I can provide for her? Any estimate about how long the process takes?

For a lpr spouse, a few years. Whatever the I-864p guidelines are for that would apply. More than 20k a year by then imo.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I came to the U.S with my mom four years ago when she married an American. I've had my green card since June 2013. I simply want to know if I could bring my girlfriend. How much money would the process cost? I work full time and make about 1400 a month. Do I need to make more money than that to prove that I can support someone? I live in northern Virginia. In the case that I could bring her, how long would the process take?

Thank you for your help.

Hi Julian, here you can see the poverty guidelines:

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You need to marry her, could be anywhere.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

apply for citizenship and then do the process for K1 or marry and do spouse

for income you need to make $19912 for 2 people

Good luck

Poverty guidelines change yearly and only the guidelines in that year count.

Timeline

You have to options, you can either file a k1 visa for her or travel to your country and marry her so you can file I-130 spouse visa for her to bring her in the United states.

Did you read any of the other replies?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Remember many comment on questions but only few has the experience.

Very true

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.