MariaSv

Divorce 6 months after receiving conditional green card

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Looking for some feedback regarding my options/chances in this situation:

I relocated to the United States from Russia 6 years ago right after graduating college. I was accepted into a psychology doctorate program and obtained a student visa. 3 years ago, while still in school, I met and started dating my husband, an American citizen. We met through a mutual friend who knows both of us really well, and a year and a half into the relationship, we moved in together. At that point, I received my doctorate degree and was on OPT status. In November 2014, he proposed and I happily accepted. We both had big plans for our future (e.g., a really nice house, traveling etc) and decided to only have a big wedding some time later if we could afford it. We got married at the courthouse on our 2-year anniversary, and after some research, decided that I should apply for a family-based green card. The process was very easy and we got approved after a very brief interview without any RFEs or scary questions. I received my conditional greencard in June 2015, and at that time also got licensed as a psychologist and was offered a much higher paying job, while my husband was waiting for a promotion. So we decided that we did, in fact, want a big wedding and started planning it. In September 2015, we moved into a new apartment...and a week ago, we decided to get a divorce. We have been having some problems in the last 3 months, a lot of petty and not so petty fighting, disagreements...realizing that we were not making each other happy, and won't be able to in the long run because we disagree on some fundamentally important things. My husband is a very opinionated person who has told me before that if our "perfect" relationship (it really seemed perfect for a long time) at some point stopped being "perfect", he would have no interest in working on it, because he believes that if you have to work too hard for it, it's not worth it and not meant to be. So there is no counseling or anything like that...not a chance. At this point, we are done. We have not started the divorce proceedings yet but only because I was the one who had to move out and I asked him to wait until I find a place to live.

I spoke with an attorney today and will be speaking with another one later. The attorney stated that the fact that my marriage is over so soon after I received my green card raises a major red flag. In terms of proof of bona fide marriage, I have the following things:

1. Leasing contract for the apartment with both of our names

2. Joint car insurance

3. My life insurance where my husband is the beneficiary

4. Tons of pictures with friends and his family at various times

5. Email exchanges between us when we were still married

6. Emails from wedding venues (date stamped) from when we were planning the wedding

7. Text messages from his mom and sister-in-law after we told them we were going to get divorced (they are still super supportive of me)

8. I can get a few affidavits from mutual friends, not sure though if his family would agree to write anything at this point

What we do not have is any joint property, joint leases, or joint bank accounts. We were actually not going to merge our finances because we both valued that independence, and both made about the same amount of money. We were going to buy a house at some point but did not get there, obviously.

So question is, how bad is my situation? What are my chances of successfully getting the conditions lifted if I petition by myself?

Thank you

My husband is a very opinionated person who has told me before that if our "perfect" relationship (it really seemed perfect for a long time) at some point stopped being "perfect", he would have no interest in working on it, because he believes that if you have to work too hard for it, it's not worth it and not meant to be.

I don't know how bad it will be divorcing and applying for ROC so soon after the conditional GC.

But I will say the above statement is one of the most callous opinions I've ever seen. Pretty much "You'd better make sure things are always roses or I'm through with you." What a blow to the relationship.

I truly wish you the best. Good luck!

AOS

03/24/11 - Got married in the Boogie-Down Bronx, NYC!
04/21/11 - Mailed I-130,I-765, I-485, I-864 and I-693 - Day 00

04/23/11 - Application delivered - Day 02
04/28/11 - NOA (most forms) - Day 07
05/03/11 - Checks cashed - Day 12
05/31/11 - Biometrics completed in the Bronx, NYC - Day 40
06/24/11 - Received someone else's employment authorization card!!! What the...? - Day 64
07/01/11 - Mailed the poor lady's card back after calling USCIS - Day 71
07/07/11 - Received poor lady's interview notice! What??? - Day 77
07/15/11 - Received my own EAD card - Day 85
08/12/11 - Interview. Approved on the spot! - Day 113
08/18/11 - Received card in the mail - Day 119

ROC
05/28/13 - Mailed I-751 - Day 00

05/30/13 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/31/13 - NOA I-797 - Day 03
06/04/13 - Check cashed - Day 07

06/06/13 - NOA delivered to my home/Biometrics letter generated - Day 09

06/10/13 - Received Biometrics letter in the mail - Day 13

06/27/13 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 30

09/10/13 - Application approved! - Day 105

09/14/13 - 10 year Green Card received! - Day 109

Citizenship

05/10/16 - Mailed N-400 - Day 00

05/12/16 - Application delivered - Day 02

05/13/16 - Credit card payment accepted - Day 03

05/17/16 - Received text & email update - Day 07

05/20/16 - Received 1st NOA (dated 05/13/16) & created ELIS acct - Day 10

05/21/16 - Received 2nd NOA (dated 05/16/16) confirming my DOB and address - Day 11

05/22/06 - Biometrics scheduled (online update) and appt letter was mailed on 05/20/16 - Day 12

05/24/06 - Biometrics letter became viewable online (appt scheduled for 06/07/16) - Day 14

05/27/16 - Received Biometrics letter in mail - Day 17

05/31/16 - Was denied walk-in fingerprints with just 1 person left in line. Milwaukee office, boo! - Day 21

06/07/16 - Biometrics completed in Milwaukee, WI - Day 28

12/21/16 - Passed Citizenship test/Interview was successful! - Day 197

01/26/17 - I am a US citizen!!! - Day 233

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

You have a lot more evidence of a bona fide marriage than do most people.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

I disagree with T Bone,you basically don't have many proof of a bonafide marrige at all.I saw people with what you have,plus bank account and tax returned filed jointly as well, and many of them had the l751 denied.Last week one physician contacted me, he separated 8 months after he received his GC, he had everything you can imagine showing bonafide marriage.His interview lasted 45min and the officer said he didn't believe the marriage was a bonafide marriage. Both are physicians,same age,same religion,same family background,that being said you better prepare yourself because you may have a tough time proving that you had a bonafide marriage.

Edited by sandranj

Timeline

I don't know how bad it will be divorcing and applying for ROC so soon after the conditional GC.

But I will say the above statement is one of the most callous opinions I've ever seen. Pretty much "You'd better make sure things are always roses or I'm through with you." What a blow to the relationship.

Thank you!

I disagree with T Bone,you basically don't have many proof of a bonafide marrige at all.I saw people with what you have,plus bank account and tax returned filed jointly as well, and many of them had the l751 denied.Last week one physician contacted me, he separated 8 months after he received his GC, he had everything you can imagine showing bonafide marriage.His interview lasted 45min and the officer said he didn't believe the marriage was a bonafide marriage. Both are physicians,same age,same religion,same family background,that being said you better prepare yourself because you may have a tough time proving that you had a bonafide marriage.

What were the officer's reasons for not believing that it was a bona fide marriage?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Of course there is always my case where the only bonafides were a marriage certificate, one health insurance card, and the baby's birth certificate. No bills, no name change, no tax return, no bank account.

But what my ex did have was expert help on "Maneuvering" through the system with a very weak "emotional abuse" claim and no police report.

Sometimes I just think its how the "special agent" at USCIS is feeling that day be there is no consistency. I've heard similar about the wide ranging results at immigration court based on what judge you get.

Bonafides of marriage should be rock solid, but they are not.

It should be marriage, 3 bills, 2 tax returns, a bank account with activity etc...not one day this or one day that...

Sincerely,

VerySadGuy

30 year healthcare professional

Victim of heinous immigration romance scam

Father of a lovely little girl

And champion for those wronged by fraud.

Timeline

How much time was remaining on your OPT status when you decided it would be a good idea to get married? This could be a factor in weighing if the marriage was bona fide.

Good luck.

We got married 8 months before my OPT expired...good or bad?

thank you

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Most of these are proof of relationship. That is not the same as bonafides of marriage.

1. Leasing contract for the apartment with both of our names BONAFIDE

2. Joint car insurance BONAFIDE

3. My life insurance where my husband is the beneficiary BONAFIDE (only slightly)

4. Tons of pictures with friends and his family at various times NO

5. Email exchanges between us when we were still married NO

6. Emails from wedding venues (date stamped) from when we were planning the wedding NO

7. Text messages from his mom and sister-in-law after we told them we were going to get divorced (they are still super supportive of me) NO

8. I can get a few affidavits from mutual friends, not sure though if his family would agree to write anything at this point NO

This link helps. Focus on the DOCUMENTS and CONTRACTS. Not love letters and pictures. You need to show legal contracts and financial responsibilities.

http://www.***removed***/greencard/bona-fide-marriage-documentation.html

Sincerely,

VerySadGuy

30 year healthcare professional

Victim of heinous immigration romance scam

Father of a lovely little girl

And champion for those wronged by fraud.

Timeline

Most of these are proof of relationship. That is not the same as bonafides of marriage.

1. Leasing contract for the apartment with both of our names BONAFIDE

2. Joint car insurance BONAFIDE

3. My life insurance where my husband is the beneficiary BONAFIDE (only slightly)

4. Tons of pictures with friends and his family at various times NO

5. Email exchanges between us when we were still married NO

6. Emails from wedding venues (date stamped) from when we were planning the wedding NO

7. Text messages from his mom and sister-in-law after we told them we were going to get divorced (they are still super supportive of me) NO

8. I can get a few affidavits from mutual friends, not sure though if his family would agree to write anything at this point NO

This link helps. Focus on the DOCUMENTS and CONTRACTS. Not love letters and pictures. You need to show legal contracts and financial responsibilities.

http://www.***removed***/greencard/bona-fide-marriage-documentation.html

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately, those are all the documents and contracts that I have, and I don't think I can obtain any other documents at this point:(

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

I totally agree, that is just nuts ^^

What you have is a bit skimpy, I would add a statement of why you don't have mingled your finances as they are big on wanting joint bank

accounts and joint credit cards etc.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

My fingers crossed for you. Sometimes there are things that cannot be helped in situations like this. Hopefully the documents you have are enough to see you through.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.